Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iOS 7.1 is out

iOS 7.1 is out
P
Mar 10, 2014, 01:59 PM

Hopefully this fixes the issues some iPad owners have had with iOS 7 Safari.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 10, 2014, 02:07 PM

downloading now...

some icon outlines appear darker, text appears darker too. One beef - with all the iOS updates - why the hell does bluetooth get turned back on? rude...

anyway, looks good so far - no smoke or crashes.
( Last edited by osiris; Mar 10, 2014 at 02:23 PM. )
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

Ham Sandwich
Mar 10, 2014, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by osiris View Post
One beef - with all the iOS updates - why the hell does bluetooth get turned back on?
That's odd, I just noticed that as well.

Atheist
Mac Elite
Mar 10, 2014, 03:34 PM

Definitely snappier on the iPhone 4!!!

P  (op)
Mar 10, 2014, 03:48 PM

All animations are faster. Keyboard letters are bolder. That's about it so far.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 10, 2014, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
All animations are faster. Keyboard letters are bolder. That's about it so far.
Yes, to me it seems like a few frames in the animations were removed, it's a noticeable difference. The boldness is also apparent, I had to reduce it (I turned up text boldness originally).

The real test will be for the Touch ID recognition. If it holds up for more than a few days I'll be happy!

OreoCookie
Mar 10, 2014, 05:49 PM

- The slide to unlock animation is subtly different and has stronger contrast. (It looks like a white cylon eye that peering through the text.)
- I noticed the keyboard changes as well.
- Fatter weights of Helvetica Neue seem to have been chosen in a few places.
- I did not immediately notice the sped-up animations, but after checking it, it's true.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 10, 2014, 05:57 PM

Spoke too soon: mb a new bug, but double pressing the home button seems much less responsive. Frustrating when you're trying to close apps- reboot didn't help.
Anyone else notice this? Thanx!

Ham Sandwich
Mar 10, 2014, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
- The slide to unlock animation is subtly different and has stronger contrast.
Wait until you see the "slide to shutdown" animation...

starman
Clinically Insane
Mar 10, 2014, 07:47 PM

While there are some nice things about 7.1 in the color and contrast dept, why did they decide to animate a bounce to Command Center? I tell ya, I was so in love with iOS 6, and only upgraded to 7 because I had to due to that security issue. I've had iOS 7 for a week and already I wish I could go back. Even if I turn "Reduce Motion" to ON, there are still a bunch of things that I wish would just happen faster. Hoe about "turn off all silly animations"? Even waking my phone isn't instant anymore.

EDIT: My wife called. Why the EFF did they change what happens when someone calls you? You used to get the image of the person full-screen, now it's that person's picture in a tiny little circle and a lot of wasted gray space with no option to put that back.

EDIT: In doing some more dialer testing, I found that at random times, iOS 7.1 will NOT show a "Decline" button, but just a single "Swipe to answer" button.

Who's driving the bus at Apple now?
( Last edited by starman; Mar 10, 2014 at 08:49 PM. )

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Cold Warrior
Mar 10, 2014, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
EDIT: My wife called. Why the EFF did they change what happens when someone calls you? You used to get the image of the person full-screen, now it's that person's picture in a tiny little circle and a lot of wasted gray space with no option to put that back.

EDIT: In doing some more dialer testing, I found that at random times, iOS 7.1 will NOT show a "Decline" button, but just a single "Swipe to answer" button.

Who's driving the bus at Apple now?
Wow, this is atrocious. I didn't have any big complaints about iOS 7 until this. It's awful and ugly. The round decline and answer, the tiny contact calling, also a horrid circle. I can't believe this.

Ham Sandwich
Mar 10, 2014, 09:08 PM

Yes I definitely notice bolder characters on the keyboard but what I really appreciate the most is the caps lock (double-tap Shift button) is now clearly labeled with the arrow and a little bar underneath it with the Shift button highlighted. This is helpful.

I haven't run iOS 7.1 to test battery life but I would appreciate if the update can significantly boost battery life.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 10, 2014, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by And.reg View Post
I haven't run iOS 7.1 to test battery life but I would appreciate if the update can significantly boost battery life.
Who wouldn't ?

-t

Ham Sandwich
Mar 11, 2014, 08:09 AM

So does anyone know if it does?

P  (op)
Mar 11, 2014, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
I don't think this behavior has changed, only the appearance. If the phone is unlocked and you're using it, you get two buttons - Answer and Decline with two bonus options for decline like setting a reminder to call back in 15 minutes or sending a canned text message. If the phone is locked, the Decline button does not come up - you get the "Swipe to answer" thing instead. To Decline, press the button on top of the phone (sleep/wake) twice, or use one of the bonus options. Most of this has been the same since my first iPhone with iOS 4 - only the bonus options were added along the way.

P  (op)
Mar 11, 2014, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by And.reg View Post
So does anyone know if it does?
Not particularly, but you can easily improve your battery life by disabling background processing for unnecessary apps. Disable it entirely to make battery life identical to iOS 6.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 11, 2014, 09:00 AM

that weirdness with the home button disappeared (button wouldn't work for double presses)

everything else is looking good -seems a hair snappier. praise be geebus.

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Mar 12, 2014, 09:38 AM

Jailbroken iPhone 4 here. Would like a speed bump but don't want to lose tethering so I'll wait.

Ham Sandwich
Mar 12, 2014, 12:47 PM

Not particularly, but you can easily improve your battery life by disabling background processing for unnecessary apps. Disable it entirely to make battery life identical to iOS 6.
Background App Refresh?

Or is there a unique option for each application?

I was actually thinking more along the lines of improving battery life if I set my iPod Touch to standby for a few days; when I come back, my battery has drained a bit too much.

P  (op)
Mar 12, 2014, 03:29 PM

In the settings, right below the main backgrounding switch, there is one for each app that has requested that privilege.

Ham Sandwich
Mar 12, 2014, 03:43 PM

I don't see a "main backgrounding switch" anywhere. I also tried searching for "main backgrounding switch" and got zero search results.
Here is what I have in my settings (long list edited out since question is answered to the desired effect - long list no longer needed to occupy thread space)
( Last edited by Ham Sandwich; Mar 12, 2014 at 05:15 PM. )

P  (op)
Mar 12, 2014, 04:56 PM

It's under General. I can't quote the exact name of the selection after that, because my iPad is not set to English, but it's background execution or background updates or something like that. Click that and you get one main switch and a bunch switches for the individual programs.

Ham Sandwich
Mar 12, 2014, 05:13 PM

Yeah it's Background App Refresh. That's what I thought.

DarkStarRed
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 14, 2014, 04:47 AM

Who's driving the bus at Apple now?[/QUOTE]

I must say I haven't updated to iOS 7.1 yet and the changes to
Phone-Call is Bad/Ugly. I'm not sure if & when they make changes to this that the buttons will be remade?

Just to note the changes were made basically to keep unified look across Apple's CarPlay! I as many other have sent requests to their Feedback/iPhone. Just asking to keep mobile devices interface separate from that of CarPlay.

HamSandwich
Mar 14, 2014, 04:52 AM

Works fine here, on iPad. However, when switching back to home screen, sometimes I find the icons stopped in between swiping, one column from one area, three of the others, this is new. Curious if I get less crashes, sudden app failures during the time...

auto_immune
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 14, 2014, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by Atheist View Post
Definitely snappier on the iPhone 4!!!
I have been hesitant to upgrade my iPhone 4 to 7.x (still at 6.0.1) due to all the
problems I have read about WiFi no longer working and battery charge time
dropping after upgrading.

Have you had either of those problems?

P  (op)
Mar 14, 2014, 06:37 AM

7.1 has been rock solid. I've heard many issues with 7.0.x, though.

HamSandwich
Mar 21, 2014, 04:52 AM

7.1 has been rock solid. I've heard many issues with 7.0.x, though.
Same here ...

auto_immune
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 23, 2014, 12:09 AM

Well, I "pulled the trigger" and updated to 7.1 - could do without the new dog-butt ugly GUI design, but otherwise I have had no problems at all!

andi*pandi
Mar 23, 2014, 07:19 PM

took 3 times to download 7.1 update, but now all set.

I'm with the "need a decline" message on my phone. I like the options (remind me, send a message) but sometimes the phone rings at bad times and I just want to shut off the ringtone asap.

haven't noticed any snappy improvement, but I do like the cylon unlock.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 23, 2014, 08:19 PM

Just press the sleep/wake button to silence an incoming call.

Cold Warrior
Mar 23, 2014, 09:11 PM

Some of the interface tweaks are welcome--darken colors and perspective zoom options in particular. They also fixed the day and time scrolls so that you can scroll them adjacent not just on top of; iOS 6 had this.

But the small circle for incoming call photos is the worst, it's horrible. Otherwise I like iOS 7.

P  (op)
Mar 24, 2014, 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Just press the sleep/wake button to silence an incoming call.
This. This has been there forever, and it was the first thing I looked up how to do when I got my phone.

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 24, 2014, 06:58 AM

The most noticeable change I've found is that there's no animation when you choose an app from the active apps list. They just "are there" full-screen. It's not a problem, but it's a little jarring compared to previous versions' "zoom to full screen" effect.

Is it just me, or is iOS 7.1 "snappier" in some ways?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

P  (op)
Mar 24, 2014, 08:32 AM

My iPhone 4 has animations when I pick an app from the recently used apps?

Yes, it's clearly snappier. Not only on the iPhone, where it was clearly advertised, but on the iPad mini as well.

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 24, 2014, 08:00 PM

Before the upgrade, I'd had "Reduce Motion" set to "On" because some motion in 7.0 was unpleasant to me. Now it seems that the "zoom from recent apps" effect falls under that. I turned off Reduce Motion and the effect is back.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Atheist
Mac Elite
Mar 25, 2014, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by auto_immune View Post
I have been hesitant to upgrade my iPhone 4 to 7.x (still at 6.0.1) due to all the
problems I have read about WiFi no longer working and battery charge time
dropping after upgrading.

Have you had either of those problems?
No WiFi or battery issues. iPhone 4 is almost 4 years old and going strong. Very impressed with it's performance.

auto_immune
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 27, 2014, 06:24 AM

So far only one problem: the visual voicemail. I had to call t-mobile to have it turned on, and I now have to leave cellular data turned on for it to work. If cell data is turned off, a little red dot overlaps the left side of the voicemail symbol and message alerts no longer show up - and there is a "visual voicemail currently not available" banner at the top of the screen.
( Last edited by auto_immune; Mar 27, 2014 at 06:26 AM. Reason: took out some words)

Ham Sandwich
Apr 4, 2014, 02:47 PM

I have an iPod Touch 5 running iOS 7.1.

How do I get the battery icon to display "percent charged"??

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 4, 2014, 03:08 PM

Settings > general > usage

Ham Sandwich
Apr 4, 2014, 04:57 PM

I still don't see it.

I'm in Settings > General > Usage

and here is what I see:

Photos & Camera
Music
iPhoto
(other apps)

and then I have:
iCloud
Total Storage
Available
Manage Storage

and then I have:
TIME SINCE LAST FULL CHARGE
Usage
Standby

There is no menu option when I tap "Usage" or "Standby."

There are no other options to indicate battery life.

Can you clarify further??

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 4, 2014, 05:56 PM

Maybe this option only exists on iPhones, not iPod Touch ?

I can see it on my iPhone 5s.

-t

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 4, 2014, 07:40 PM

Your post made it sound like you had this enabled before 7.1?

Ham Sandwich
Apr 4, 2014, 09:56 PM

I don't think I have... I just saw it on someone's iPhone running iOS 7. So that's what I was thinking.

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Apr 4, 2014, 10:45 PM

Battery Percentage does not exist in iPod Touch

ajprice
Professional Poster
Apr 26, 2014, 05:57 AM

DANGER WILL ROBINSON!

If you update to 7.1.1 over wifi, it may not get past the apple logo, and the only way back from that is a restore. Update it connected to your computer, through iTunes, that way is fine.

Unfortunately, I am now restoring my iPhone .

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

is not
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 26, 2014, 02:32 PM

Hi!

Updated to 7.1.1 over wifi, no problem on my iPhone 4.

Cold Warrior
Apr 27, 2014, 10:16 AM

Wifi updates no problem on 5, 5s, iPad 2, iPad mini retina.

Forum Links
Forum Rules