Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iOS 8

iOS 8
HamSandwich
Jul 9, 2014, 03:56 AM

Wanna chat?

applestoapples
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 25, 2014, 09:20 PM

will iOS8 also be available for iPhone 5s or just iPhone 6

Noah
( Last edited by andi*pandi; Jul 26, 2014 at 10:30 PM. )

P
Jul 27, 2014, 06:51 AM

iOS8 will be available for anything with an A5 or better, so iPhone 4S, 5, 5S and anything Apple launches in the future.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Aug 6, 2014, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by P View Post
iOS8 will be available for anything with an A5 or better, so iPhone 4S, 5, 5S and anything Apple launches in the future.
Also only the 3rd gen Apple TV, 2nd gen has an A4. Apple TV iOS8 will get the flat icons design.
Apple TV picks up flatter, redesigned interface in iOS 8 | Ars Technica

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 17, 2014, 02:07 PM

So it's out (according to Software Update on my iPad, anyway). Anyone tried it? I'm sort of sitting back on this one because, well it's almost been a stealth rollout (except for the connection with the iPhone 6, anyway).

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Rumor
Sep 17, 2014, 02:09 PM

If you have a 4S, it is advised to not install it.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 17, 2014, 02:10 PM

I'm on a 5s, so that's not a problem for me. Is it just too slow (or too bulky) on a 4s?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 17, 2014, 02:17 PM

According to Leo Laporte, it deletes iPhoto stuff on you device (albums, etc.) WTF?

Rumor
Sep 17, 2014, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
According to Leo Laporte, it deletes iPhoto stuff on you device (albums, etc.) WTF?
Good. I can't seem to do that on iOS 7.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 17, 2014, 04:52 PM

iPhoto is no longer supported and will no longer run in iOS 8, so all its contents are folded into the Photos app.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 17, 2014, 05:01 PM

iOS 8 fixed selecting paragraphs!

That only took a year.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 17, 2014, 05:52 PM

I'm quickly taking to the predictive text slot machine thingy.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 17, 2014, 06:01 PM

Used it for an hour. I like it so far. Has a Mountain Lion to Lion feel.

Thorzdad
Sep 17, 2014, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
iPhoto is no longer supported and will no longer run in iOS 8, so all its contents are folded into the Photos app.
So...How does this work if the Mac you sync with your iPad has iPhoto? That is, my iPad syncs with a specific album in iPhoto on my Mac. Can I no longer sync photos with my iPad?

Wait...I just checked my iPad running iOS 7 and it already has the Photos app. No iPhoto. So...never mind, I guess?
( Last edited by Thorzdad; Sep 17, 2014 at 06:48 PM. )

davidflas
Mac Elite
Sep 17, 2014, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by Rumor View Post
If you have a 4S, it is advised to not install it.
Got a link with more info about this? I have a 4s.
2.7Ghz 15" Mid 2012 MBP 16GB RAM 7.2k 750GB HD anti-glare display|64GB iPad4 ATT LTE|

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 17, 2014, 07:28 PM

Authored by Apple Slot Machine:

"The only thing that would make it to be the best thing ever is when the sun is shining like a good idea."

Cold Warrior
Sep 17, 2014, 09:38 PM

Hate the Photos app changes - Camera Roll is gone. In its place is recent pics, but that doesn't show very many. We are supposed to use the Photos tab, but those are broken up by Moments and Collections - both of which make the pic smaller. Camera roll gave decent size views and it scrolled through like a visual history. Ugh. This is like last year's removal of full screen contact photos for incoming calls.

The iOS 8 page even has an incoming call picture full screen (Apple - iOS 8 - Continuity), but in reality they are still the ugly empty gray void.

What the hell?

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 17, 2014, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
Hate the Photos app changes - Camera Roll is gone. In its place is recent pics, but that doesn't show very many. We are supposed to use the Photos tab, but those are broken up by Moments and Collections - both of which make the pic smaller. Camera roll gave decent size views and it scrolled through like a visual history. Ugh. This is like last year's removal of full screen contact photos for incoming calls.

The iOS 8 page even has an incoming call picture full screen (Apple - iOS 8 - Continuity), but in reality they are still the ugly empty gray void.

What the hell?
Crikey, I just noticed this- what a royal PITA!

My more immediate horrors include slow networking- latency is way up for me, speeds are down by about 20%, and even just logging here took about 10 seconds. I may reset the network settings... If that fails I will restore to 7.
Also, the auto correct bar is way too big, leaving only a sliver of room to see what I'm typing. So far ( 5 hours) I regret this upgrade for my 5s - all the new features I simply don't need but what is important to me feels screwy. I need a drink lol

edit: after resetting the network, speed is up and latency is down, however speeds are no where near what they were before.
( Last edited by osiris; Sep 18, 2014 at 09:00 AM. )
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

Cold Warrior
Sep 17, 2014, 10:30 PM

I don't have any speed problems with my 5s and ios 8, it is running well on cellular and wifi.

I managed to get full screen pictures back by deleting a contact photo and adding it fresh. It will be supremely annoying if I have to do this with all my contacts.

A correction: iOS 8 Photos tab thumbnails are the same size as iOS 7 Camera Roll thumbnails, but the Moments view ruins it for anyone wanting an unblemished photos roll.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 17, 2014, 11:35 PM

Loving the predictive keyboard. Typing is much better than before.

-t

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 18, 2014, 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by osiris View Post
Crikey, I just noticed this- what a royal PITA!

My more immediate horrors include slow networking- latency is way up for me, speeds are down by about 20%, and even just logging here took about 10 seconds. I may reset the network settings... If that fails I will restore to 7.
Also, the auto correct bar is way too big, leaving only a sliver of room to see what I'm typing. So far ( 5 hours) I regret this upgrade for my 5s - all the new features I simply don't need but what is important to me feels screwy. I need a drink lol
You can collapse the autocorrect bar by dragging down. It will look and feel just like iOS 7 then.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 18, 2014, 01:35 AM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
So...How does this work if the Mac you sync with your iPad has iPhoto? That is, my iPad syncs with a specific album in iPhoto on my Mac. Can I no longer sync photos with my iPad?

Wait...I just checked my iPad running iOS 7 and it already has the Photos app. No iPhoto. So...never mind, I guess?
This is about the iOS app iPhoto, not iPhoto for mac.

P
Sep 18, 2014, 06:22 AM

The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 18, 2014, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
You can collapse the autocorrect bar by dragging down. It will look and feel just like iOS 7 then.
It's a good feature, just poorly implemented and an obvious copy of the Android implementation: there is so much wasted space around the predictive text box - it could've been half the height. Heck, you could've eliminated the box entirely and just display the options as high contrast dialogue above the keyboard. But I digress. Still tweaking this beast.

edit: I effin hate this os. I had to delete entire group messages because iMessage wouldn't let me reply/append to the long ongoing conversations. **** you Apple.
( Last edited by osiris; Sep 18, 2014 at 12:55 PM. )

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 18, 2014, 11:44 PM

The Honeymoon is wearing off, but I'm not filled with rage yet.

Safari is kinda buggy. It's locked up a few times. Also, there's this weird rerender it seems to do, however, apparently not reloading the page, which is an improvement.

The size of the slots doesn't bother me because I type in portrait, but I can see how landscape is not usable.

I like how when I type "but" I get the option for "buttsex" on the slot machine. My phone knows me all too well.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Sep 19, 2014, 12:43 AM

So I plugged my 5 in and iTunes set about downloading iOS8 and installing it.

oops It was only at the very end of the install that iTunes realised it needed to be updated to install 8 leaving my phone temporarily bricked.
One update later and the phone needed a full restore from recovery mode which was fine but a bit scary for some users I imagine.

An alert to update iTunes before updating phone may have ben useful.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Sep 19, 2014, 12:47 AM

So now the podcasts app isn't deletable??

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 19, 2014, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by Doc HM View Post
So now the podcasts app isn't deletable??
Nope. Worthless app.
Once I started using Downcast, I never looked back.

-t

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 19, 2014, 08:45 AM

It appears as though iMessage is not available.

Haven't been able to connect for hours now: "Could not sign in. Please check your network connection and try again."

BS

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Sep 19, 2014, 09:34 AM

Can you roll back to 7? I thought that was easier said than done these days.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 19, 2014, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
Can you roll back to 7? I thought that was easier said than done these days.
Pretty sure I can, it's just a matter of time to do it.

My odyssey so far:

1) I thought a network reset would work, but I had to split my wireless network into two segments, one for 2.4Ghz and 5; iIOS would only connect to 2.4; speed has returned to near normal, where I would get 80+Mbps now I get 60-70Mbps (MacBookPro gets 107Mbps). First speedtest after iOS8 was 2-4Mbps on average, upload .42 Mbps

2) Lost iCloud - not accepting password. Eventually it did. (I imagine Apple is getting hit hard about now)

3) This morning I lost iMessage completely - it was fine last night. Could not log in, received bad password messages, then network connection error messages. I could receive texts but frustratingly could not reply to them.

4) Lost Facetime, connection error. Eventually reconnected.

all part of the fun, I hope to see 8.01 soon. One good thing - battery seems amazing, and my teeth are whiter! Again, damn you Apple!

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 19, 2014, 10:51 AM

Oddly, I've had it installed on my 5s and iPad 4 for about a week and have had no issues apart from one app not working properly (fixed in an update on launch day) and annoying hangs in the Facebook app.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 19, 2014, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by osiris View Post
Pretty sure I can, it's just a matter of time to do it.

My odyssey so far:

1) I thought a network reset would work, but I had to split my wireless network into two segments, one for 2.4Ghz and 5; iIOS would only connect to 2.4; speed has returned to near normal, where I would get 80+Mbps now I get 60-70Mbps (MacBookPro gets 107Mbps). First speedtest after iOS8 was 2-4Mbps on average, upload .42 Mbps

2) Lost iCloud - not accepting password. Eventually it did. (I imagine Apple is getting hit hard about now)

3) This morning I lost iMessage completely - it was fine last night. Could not log in, received bad password messages, then network connection error messages. I could receive texts but frustratingly could not reply to them.

4) Lost Facetime, connection error. Eventually reconnected.

all part of the fun, I hope to see 8.01 soon. One good thing - battery seems amazing, and my teeth are whiter! Again, damn you Apple!

EDIT:

Apparently there is a new issue with iOS 8 and some networks. I just did some unscientific tests with a friend on a public network we commonly use - we could not connect with iOS 8 whilst iOS7 is fine. The latency was so high the phone just said nope.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Sep 19, 2014, 01:16 PM

1 day in and this seems to be the buggiest and least usable update I can remember.

On my 5 the whole OS is sluggardly. The UI is super Laggy and apps constantly open to a white screen for an eternity before content appears. Network performance seems woeful and apps crash out regularly. In fact the whole phone has spontaneously restarted several times today. Lets hope for a quick 8.1 update.

Cold Warrior
Sep 20, 2014, 08:31 AM

Things have been solid for me in my 5s and 6. I sympathize with the Safari tab refresh pain. iCab is a better iOS browser but obviously can't be set as the default.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 20, 2014, 02:23 PM

Pretty solid for me so far on a 5s.

Safari seems to have a bit less refresh problems, but sometime displays weird rendering when zooming. Overall though, good update so far.

-t

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 20, 2014, 03:40 PM

5s and 6 solid for me as well.

Safari's definitely buggy, but I'd call them real bugs rather than what "buggy" meant on iOS 7, which was more like "broke down".

iOS 8 example bug: cursor sometimes ends up outside the text field.
iOS 7 example bug: reload every page all the time almost no matter what.

There are other things which feel like bugs, but are just Apple deciding to change the way shit worked for the last 7 years.

Sort of like how they changed paragraph selection in iOS 7. Clearly, whoever did that has been taken out and shot...

Not really. They didn't take him outside to do it. Much more effective if you do it in the cubicle, so everyone sees it.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 20, 2014, 03:58 PM

One of the more annoying bugs for me is hitting something on the auto fill slot machine will sometimes just erase what I've typed.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 20, 2014, 04:03 PM

One of my phone's better autofill texts...

"I'm not going to be able to see the new version and the other side of the year before that is the most important thing!"

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 20, 2014, 04:04 PM

"The fact is that the government has been a good idea but it was not immediately clear whether the company has been the same..."

Okay. I'm done.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Sep 24, 2014, 01:29 PM

hello iOS8.0.1

"bug fixes"

uh huh.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Sep 25, 2014, 12:35 PM

Good bye iOs8.0.1

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 26, 2014, 02:14 AM

Hello iOS 8.0.2

Rumor
Sep 26, 2014, 10:37 AM

Updating now and see if I have any issues. I didn't get a chance to update to 8.0.1 before it was pulled.

On a side note: iTunes always says I have purchased items that have not been transferred ever after a back up and sync, yet I never seem to notice anything missing.

Rumor
Sep 26, 2014, 11:28 AM

No problems so far.

andi*pandi
Sep 26, 2014, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
Hate the Photos app changes - Camera Roll is gone. In its place is recent pics, but that doesn't show very many. We are supposed to use the Photos tab, but those are broken up by Moments and Collections - both of which make the pic smaller. Camera roll gave decent size views and it scrolled through like a visual history. Ugh.
I just noticed this yesterday, recent pix doesn't have all my recent pix! And navigating photos by moments, or location, on a phone, is a PITA. Miss the camera roll.

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 28, 2014, 12:47 PM

Has anyone here upgraded an iPad 2 to iOS 8 (or 8.0.2)? A friend upgraded his iPad Air and said he had several issues during the upgrade. One thing he noted was his non-"bought through the iBooks Store" books were all essentially deleted after the update. I keep a bunch of PDF-format manuals and other reference data on my iPad, and that would be a real pain if it happened to me. And my iPad 2 isn't exactly a spring chicken, so I'm concerned that it will be less useful (including slower) than it is under iOS 7.

My wife and I each have an iPhone 5s, and I haven't heard any negatives about iOS 8 on those devices.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 28, 2014, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Has anyone here upgraded an iPad 2 to iOS 8 (or 8.0.2)? A friend upgraded his iPad Air and said he had several issues during the upgrade. One thing he noted was his non-"bought through the iBooks Store" books were all essentially deleted after the update. I keep a bunch of PDF-format manuals and other reference data on my iPad, and that would be a real pain if it happened to me. And my iPad 2 isn't exactly a spring chicken, so I'm concerned that it will be less useful (including slower) than it is under iOS 7.

My wife and I each have an iPhone 5s, and I haven't heard any negatives about iOS 8 on those devices.
I "upgraded" both my 5S and 128G Air 8.0 and 8.0.2 I've been having issues with my DSL modem locking up since. I was hoping .2 would fix the issue. I was at my mom's and they locked her modem up as well. It's the same C1000A modem from CenturyLink.
45/47

andi*pandi
Sep 29, 2014, 11:19 AM

Glenn, not sure that is an IOS8 thing, or just a new iTunes/iBooks thing? I recently had to wipe an old ios6 ipad, and all the books/pdfs were wiped... they were gone from itunes, but I could add them back into iBooks and they reappeared on sync.

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 1, 2014, 07:04 AM

I hadn't heard of an iOS 8 device messing up a network before now. That's very curious.

Andi, you're probably right that it was an iBooks issue rather than the OS itself, but since it's all one big package, it's concerning. I feel that I need to ensure that all of the PDF and eBook content in my library is readily available to return to the library, and now I expect to have to rebuild my library rather than hoping I won't have to....

Forum Links
Forum Rules