Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Incoming iPhone

Incoming iPhone
aehaas
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 14, 2014, 07:07 AM

'Just received notification that my iPhone shipped FedEx from Memphis, TN. It is "Standard Overnight" so should be in my office tomorrow. This is a Verizon silver 64G iPhone 6. Interesting is that another shipping number is listed for a 4G sim card. I ordered it off the Verizon Wireless website as Apple was still down at the time but Verizon came online.

Also, Apple shipped my midnight blue leather case as well. It is listed as "shipping label ready" but not actually at the shipper and no delivery date is shown yet at UPS.

Both were ordered around 3:30-4 AM Friday EDT.

aehaas
MBP 3.06 8G RAM 500G HD, 8 core 3.0 8G RAM 8800GT all OEM Apple. Where to buy Polarion HID Searchlights
Home Inspection, whole house approach, Sarasota Home Inspections, we are your investigators.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 14, 2014, 03:14 PM

In the previous, years, Fedex would hold the packages until closer to the release date.
The earliest I have seen is deliveries 2 days before the official release date.

Let us know if you get it tomorrow, or if the package suddenly starts sitting in a Fedex facility, not making any moves.

-t

aehaas  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 15, 2014, 08:53 AM

This Monday morning it is still in Memphis. It still reads "Standard Overnight". On the top of the web page it says delivery Friday but on the bottom, under a "Special Handling" section it say "Deliver Wednesday".

So who knows.

aehaas
MBP 3.06 8G RAM 500G HD, 8 core 3.0 8G RAM 8800GT all OEM Apple. Where to buy Polarion HID Searchlights
Home Inspection, whole house approach, Sarasota Home Inspections, we are your investigators.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Sep 16, 2014, 05:07 PM

My 128 GB Space Grey iPhone 6 from Verizon shipped Sunday and has been sitting in Newark, NJ ever since.

Special handling section: Deliver Weekday, Indirect Signature Required
Estimated Delivery says Friday, Sept. 19th by 8:00 pm.

EDIT: Ordered from Verizon since I had to transfer upgrade from one line to another. I was out of the country at the time so was able to place order early morning EST on Sept. 12 (like 3 or 4 am).

pottymouth
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 16, 2014, 05:45 PM

I made the mistake of ordering through ATT again.

Last time, it was my own stupid fault for not confirming my shipping address. They couldn't change the address without deleting the order, and by the time we'd gotten to that point, creating a new order would have had it shipping 6 weeks later. I just went down to the Apple store and bought one the next day, no problem at all.

This time I'm blaming ATT. When I clicked the order button, it said Friday 9/16. But now my order status says "Expected Ship Date: 10/13/2014 To 10/31/2014" Ummm, NO. That's not going to work for me. So I figured wtf, I'll just cancel it and go down there in person like last time. No dice. They say "The order has already gone to the warehouse and cannot be cancelled." You might think that means it's going to ship earlier than 10/13, but they say the ship date still stands.

If I wasn't so attached to my ridiculously cheap, grandfathered, unlimited iPhone and iPad data plans, I'd consider another carrier. Or maybe, I just need to remember to never SHOP through them.

pottymouth
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 18, 2014, 10:36 AM

Just got a tracking number that says it's going to be delivered tomorrow. WTF? So weird. But I'm not complaining now.

MacOS
Sep 18, 2014, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by aehaas View Post
This Monday morning it is still in Memphis. It still reads "Standard Overnight". On the top of the web page it says delivery Friday but on the bottom, under a "Special Handling" section it say "Deliver Wednesday".
Look again, I bet it says 'Deliver WEEKDAYS'

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Sep 18, 2014, 07:36 PM

It left Newark, NJ!!

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 18, 2014, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by MacOS View Post
Look again, I bet it says 'Deliver WEEKDAYS'
Haha, LOL, minor detail.

-t

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 19, 2014, 02:31 PM

Posting from the new phone. This will take getting used to. My muscle memory will need reprogramming.

Holy shit am I glad I didn't get a 6+. This is the absolute limit for my hand.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 19, 2014, 03:46 PM

That's wha-

awwwww nvm
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Sep 19, 2014, 04:15 PM

So far, AWESOME. I am coming from an HTC One (5") and the 4.7" iPhone 6 really hits the sweet spot in term of functionality. It's not too big to use with one hand easily but the extra 0.7" over the iPhone 5 really makes a difference. I switched from the iPhone 5 originally because I just didn't like the screen size.

Not sure what else to say. It's an iPhone. Really happy to be back to Apple and away from Google/Android.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 19, 2014, 04:40 PM

One of my first impressions was: this looks like an Android phone.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Sep 19, 2014, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
One of my first impressions was: this looks like an Android phone.
I can see that. To be honest, the form factor reminds me a lot of my HTC One, only slightly smaller.

drewsky628
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 19, 2014, 07:13 PM

It seems to be getting quite warm while restoring. Hope his isn't like the old MacBooks

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 20, 2014, 03:54 PM

TouchID feels solid, but it took a few months for it to fall apart on me with the 5s.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 20, 2014, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by Mrjinglesusa View Post
I can see that. To be honest, the form factor reminds me a lot of my HTC One, only slightly smaller.
I can't honestly say I like it. The 5 series is much better looking.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 20, 2014, 04:46 PM

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Sep 20, 2014, 05:33 PM

I can't honestly say I like it. The 5 series is much better looking.
I disagree there. I though the previous iterations (iPhone 4 and iPhone 5) were hideous looking. Like small bricks.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 20, 2014, 05:51 PM

I really liked the 5. The 4 I thought was problematic.

What's really bugging me is the bevel on the fascia. It doesn't smoothly transition into the flat surface.

I don't think that in itself would bother me, but then the way it picks up specular reflections seem off.

I have a black phone. I think it would look better in white, but I prefer having the bezel contrast with the screen.

The back is just fugly, but at least I'm not usually looking at it.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 20, 2014, 09:33 PM

New phone wiped my dictionary. Now I have to teach it how to be an idiot all over again.

Let start the calisthenics...

Moar. Moar. Moar. Moar moar moar.

Leik. Leik. Leik. Leik leik leik.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 21, 2014, 02:33 AM

On the positive side, though I'm not digging the look so much, the feel is really nice. It likewise seems less "watermelon seed" than the 5 series in terms of wanting to squirt out of your hand.

pottymouth
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 21, 2014, 07:14 AM

It's too damn big, and I'm a big guy with big hands. This is the 4.7, too! I can't even imagine trying to use the 5.5, let alone fit it in my pocket.

Cold Warrior
Sep 21, 2014, 09:59 AM

The seam from front glass to metal back seems very smooth and refined. Extending the glass to the rounded edges is a nice touch. I guess that puts me opposite subego, but I like it. It doesn't seem too big (6), but any more would be, and I have large palms with shortish fingers and short thumbs.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 21, 2014, 12:48 PM

In the size department, it doesn't seem too large. I wear a size medium glove, so smallish hands.

It's comfortable to hold.

Realistically though, the top left corner is too far to hit with my thumb. I'm starting to swing my other hand around when I need to get that corner.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Sep 21, 2014, 03:13 PM

In the size department, it doesn't seem too large. I wear a size medium glove, so smallish hands.

It's comfortable to hold.

Realistically though, the top left corner is too far to hit with my thumb. I'm starting to swing my other hand around when I need to get that corner.
Ditto the above. I don't find the 6 cumbersome at all but I would imagine the 6 Plus to be a bit unwieldy (and why I went with the 6). For me, 4.7-5" is the sweet spot for a phone that's actually easy to hold, carry, and manipulate. Any bigger and you're in complete two-handed operation mode.

Like Subego, I also need to use my left hand to reach the top left corner, e.g., closing a Safari tab or hitting "back" on an app. I have average hands - probably a bit bigger than Subego as I wear a large glove.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 21, 2014, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
The seam from front glass to metal back seems very smooth and refined. Extending the glass to the rounded edges is a nice touch. I guess that puts me opposite subego, but I like it. It doesn't seem too big (6), but any more would be, and I have large palms with shortish fingers and short thumbs.
I like the idea of rounding the glass, how it looks during use leaves me wanting.

Honestly, I think it may be the black.

Because of the dark background, the finish is pretty mirror. On the flat portion of the glass I get a reflection of my forehead. This tends to be darker than the surrounding environment, so the tone of the flat part is "dark". Where it starts to curve, it picks up every highlight in a 180° arc. IOW, "bright". The screen of course, is also "bright".

This gives me a bright/dark/bright contrast situation, which is, well... not optimal. The reason I go with black is to have max contrast with the screen. The bevel messes with that.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 22, 2014, 10:52 PM

I assumed "Reachability" was 6+ only. Definitely going to start using it for that top corner.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 23, 2014, 12:26 AM

If you try and hold it like a 5, the shit wants to flip out of your hand. I think that may be where all the dropsies are coming from.

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 23, 2014, 07:12 AM

A couple of coworkers brought in their new iPhone 6's and I got a real look at them for the first time. Not nearly as oversized as I had thought from the dimensions, and I like the styling. I'm not jumping ship from my 5s, but the 6 ain't that bad. Now I have yet to actually see a 6+ in person, but it isn't even a contender for me....

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

davidflas
Mac Elite
Sep 25, 2014, 08:00 AM

I must be crazy, because after holding a 6 and 6+, I liked the 6+ better. I've had a 4s for the last three years, and am tired of having such a tiny phone. I ordered a Verizon 128GB silver 6+ yesterday from Apple.com and am now impatiently waiting for its arrival.
2.7Ghz 15" Mid 2012 MBP 16GB RAM 7.2k 750GB HD anti-glare display|64GB iPad4 ATT LTE|

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 26, 2014, 01:15 AM

Noticeable improvement with the TouchID sensor. No failed reads yet. Even with moist fingers.

davidflas
Mac Elite
Sep 27, 2014, 03:26 PM

Despite the 3-4 week wait time listed on the Apple Online Store, my 6 plus has shipped with a delivery date of Thursday, October 2nd. I am very excited, and will do my best not to bend it!
2.7Ghz 15" Mid 2012 MBP 16GB RAM 7.2k 750GB HD anti-glare display|64GB iPad4 ATT LTE|

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 29, 2014, 07:24 AM

No failed reads yet. Even with moist fingers.
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 29, 2014, 05:46 PM

As much as I like Apple slots, I may have to abandon the keyboard for voice recognition. If I hold the phone comfortably for typing, it wants to flip out of my hand. The other option is to remember to hold it with a weird, crooked, crane hand kinda thing.

iOS 8 voice recognition isn't too shabby, though.

Forum Links
Forum Rules