Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > 9.9.2014 Wish we could say more.

9.9.2014 Wish we could say more. (Page 8)
Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Sep 25, 2014, 08:31 PM

I don't have issues with Win 7, but it's my game PC and I don't install much besides those on it. It sure as hell flies compared to Vista, however.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 25, 2014, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
I know it's a revelation, but some OSes streamline and become more optimized from one version to the next, ie. Android 4 compared to 3 (and 4.3 compared to 4.2), Windows 7 compared to Vista (and 8.1 compared to 8). iOS obviously didn't.
Leopard to Snow Leopard was a huge improvement in stability and quickness on my machine. 4.2 to 4.4.2 made my phone noticeably better at everything.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Sep 25, 2014, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Leopard to Snow Leopard was a huge improvement in stability and quickness on my machine. 4.2 to 4.4.2 made my phone noticeably better at everything.
Good point, and very true. Apple knows how to optimize and improve a product.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 1, 2014, 02:57 AM

Cold Warrior
Oct 1, 2014, 10:03 AM

For those Safari issues and alternatives, iCab has been excellent for me on iPhone and iPad. Tons of features but very fast too.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Oct 1, 2014, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
I find myself stretching on the 6 fairly often, the double-tap home button feature has already come in handy. I was happy with the 5's screen size.

edit: And I have big truck-a-saurus hands.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 1, 2014, 12:14 PM

We're almost 2 weeks out and I'm finding it impossible to find a non-plus iPhone 6 in my home town. They just aren't out there. At least not in the exact configuration you are looking for.

I crunched the numbers and realized that there are 72 distinct SKUs for the iPhone 6. (2 screen sizes x 3 colors x 3 storage sizes x 4 carriers) That's pretty bonkers.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Oct 1, 2014, 04:07 PM

How about iPads:
Air, Mini, Retina, Mini Retina. 16, 32, 64, or 128GB options (depending on model), 2 colors each, wi-fi only or your choice of 4 carriers. I'm counting an even 100 unique SKUs.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 1, 2014, 04:14 PM

When Tim Cook talks about being able to fit everything Apple makes on a table, he must not be talking about this sort of thing...

I can't even imagine how much of a logistical nightmare this must be, or how much it probably sucks for employees in these stores.

It just seems excessively complicated. I'm not sure what they can do to fix it, but it feels very un-appley to me.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 1, 2014, 04:16 PM

Trying to find one of these is driving me bonkers. If I order online, it's giving me an October 23rd shipping estimate. F all that noise.

What's sad is that the one I want was in stock all for a whole week after launch. But Apple wasn't offering AT&T Next in their stores yet and I still wasn't 100% sure I wanted to upgrade. As soon as I decide to pull the trigger? It's a freaking iPhone ghost town.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 1, 2014, 04:27 PM

Hey, three in a row!

The amount of total iPhone SKUS is really nuts.

iPhone 6 (3 colors, 3 sizes, 4 carriers) = 36 Total SKUs
iPhone 6 Plus (3 colors, 3 sizes, 4 carriers) = 36 Total SKUs
iPhone 5S (3 colors, 2 sizes, 4 carriers or unlocked) = 30 Total SKUs
iPhone 5C (5 colors, 4 carriers or unlocked) = 25 Total SKUs

iPhone Total SKUs = 127

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Oct 1, 2014, 06:04 PM

Don't forget the other carriers in other countries. And do the unlocked ones have different SKUs too?
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 1, 2014, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
Hey, three in a row!

The amount of total iPhone SKUS is really nuts.

iPhone 6 (3 colors, 3 sizes, 4 carriers) = 36 Total SKUs
iPhone 6 Plus (3 colors, 3 sizes, 4 carriers) = 36 Total SKUs
iPhone 5S (3 colors, 2 sizes, 4 carriers or unlocked) = 30 Total SKUs
iPhone 5C (5 colors, 4 carriers or unlocked) = 25 Total SKUs

iPhone Total SKUs = 127
I think you are wrong about the 4 carriers.

As far as I understand it, the "locked" iPhones are not tied to a carrier until activated.

-t

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Oct 2, 2014, 09:56 AM

Any reason why Apple would have you specify a carrier when you order then?

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 2, 2014, 12:46 PM

I *think* there are actually 2 different hardware versions, (AT&T/Tmobile are the same and Verizon/Sprint are the same), but I'm also pretty sure that they ship out as 4 separate SKUs for some reason. I think they're pre-loaded with the carrier SIM card or something.
( Last edited by ort888; Oct 2, 2014 at 01:53 PM. )

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 2, 2014, 12:51 PM

I *think* their are actually 2 different hardware versions, (AT&T/Tmobile are the same and Verizon/Sprint are the same),
I don't know, I thought they had switched to a unified design / chip / hardware.

but I'm also pretty sure that they ship out as 4 separate SKUs for some reason. I think they're pre-loaded with the carrier SIM card or something.
That would explain the 4 SKUs, even if the hardware was identical.
However, for the Apple Stores, it would make things easier, because they could have the carrier SIMS separate from the iPhones.

-t

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Oct 2, 2014, 05:07 PM

Yeah I think the 4 had GSM and CDMA versions but the later ones do both. Something like that.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 2, 2014, 05:36 PM

P
Oct 2, 2014, 06:36 PM

This is how it works: https://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/

Every model iPhone from the 4 on has had more than one model for different parts of the world and different US carriers. The 5 was the worst: it had the AT&T model (also used in South America), the Verizon model with CDMA (also in Japan) and the Rest of the World model, which was the Verizon model with CDMA support crippled in software to avoid licensing fees. It supported LTE, but only on one of the European bands, which rendered it mostly useless until long after it was discontinued. I understand that the situation in Asia was similar. This probably contributed to the decision to make the 5c - a new model let Apple correct the sub-optimal setup as part of its increased focus on Asia, coincidentally improving connectivity in Europe as well. This changed the setup so the AT&T and Verizon phones were the same hardware but different software - again crippling the CDMA support to save on licensing.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 2, 2014, 07:52 PM

So, there are 2 different iPhone 6 hardware models, spread over 3 SKUs.
Definitely manageable and not as complex as previoy thought.

-t

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 3, 2014, 04:41 AM

In three colours each, at three different capacities each.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 3, 2014, 10:35 AM

In the US, they are definitely shipped out as 4 different SKUs. One for each carrier.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 3, 2014, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
In three colours each, at three different capacities each.
Yes, of course. But hardware wise, Apple needs to crank out only 2 x 3 x 3 = 18 different iPhone 6 models. Worldwide.

That's not bad.

-t

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 3, 2014, 10:37 AM

In the US, they are definitely shipped out as 4 different SKUs. One for each carrier.
As mentioned before, that includes a carrier SIM. The hardware behind those 4 SKUs is only two different models.

When they ship to the Apple stores, they might ship SIM-less phones, and have the store provide the carrier SIM.
Not sure if that happens, I haven't bought an iPhone in an Apple Store in a long time.

-t

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 3, 2014, 11:36 AM

I'm just saying that it adds to my frustration in finding one. I don't care what they have to do. I've been trying like hell to find a phone for a week now and it's really annoying going in and hearing, well, we have a 16 gig white in Sprint, a 64 gig black in Verizon, a 128 in verizon, and this and that and this and that and everything but the one phone in 72 you're actually looking for. SORRY LOSER. IT's like that everywhere. It's a frustrating experience. As a consumer, I'm incredibly frustrated. Not sure what they can really do, but on my end it sucks.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 3, 2014, 12:53 PM

I'm just saying that it adds to my frustration in finding one. I don't care what they have to do. I've been trying like hell to find a phone for a week now and it's really annoying going in and hearing, well, we have a 16 gig white in Sprint, a 64 gig black in Verizon, a 128 in verizon, and this and that and this and that and everything but the one phone in 72 you're actually looking for. SORRY LOSER. IT's like that everywhere. It's a frustrating experience. As a consumer, I'm incredibly frustrated. Not sure what they can really do, but on my end it sucks.
Your experience would actually point towards the stores getting the pre-packed SIM carrier SKUs.

Certainly, that is not an efficient mode to manage a tight commodity.
If the stores only got the two "generic" hardware phones, and received the carrier SIM independently, they could "mix and match" rather than wait for your lucky SKU to pop up in inventory.

-t

Phileas
Mac Elite
Oct 3, 2014, 01:30 PM

Up here the phones sold by the Apple Stores are SIM-less, giving you th option to just buy the phone outright and then drop in the card of your choice o to buy the phone with a contract.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 3, 2014, 03:29 PM

I'm sure they're doing it for a good reason. They aren't dummies...

P
Oct 3, 2014, 05:46 PM

Apple has to sell different versions of the CDMA phone, because the operator info for the CDMA network is set at the factory (it doesn't use the SIM - that is only used for the GSM-derived LTE). I don't know why they use more than one GSM phone in the US, but I suspect it has to do with the frequency bands supported for GSM/UMTS. AT&T has always been a very special snowflake when it comes to which bands it supports.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 3, 2014, 06:04 PM

The T-mobile GSM Phone ships unlocked. I know if you get one you can just pop in an AT&T sim and it's good to go. They also don't sell that one at any sort of discount. It's full price or nothing.

That's also the most popular phone for scalpers, so it's really hard to find one.

mindwaves
Oct 4, 2014, 03:56 AM

But it is not in the same league as Samsung who ships 1 new cellphone every 2 months or something. That is a logistical nightmare.

Cold Warrior
Oct 4, 2014, 12:06 PM

The Verizon LTE iPhones won't work without their sim even for CDMA.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Oct 6, 2014, 12:23 AM

It just seems excessively complicated. I'm not sure what they can do to fix it, but it feels very un-appley to me.
Well they can start by getting rid of the useless 16gb models...
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 21, 2014, 12:36 AM

So none of the credit cards I actually use are compatible with Apple Pay. Even though my Bank (US Bank) has had a huge "WE WORK WITH APPLE PAY!" splash page on their website for weeks now. (and currently) Good going guys. Smooth operation you've got over there.

I have several cards I never use that could work, but I don't want to bother adding them, because it will be a hassle to have to pay off the extra bill.

Forum Links
Forum Rules