Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iOS 8

iOS 8 (Page 2)
Ham Sandwich
Oct 1, 2014, 09:00 PM

Just yesterday updated from iOS 7 to iOS 8 (...I still thought it was "coming this fall" like, later in October or something), update proceeded as normal. I ignored the iCloud drive stuff because apparently Apple thinks my Yosemite Beta 4 isn't equipped to go iCloud drive because it "requires OS X Yosemite."

Edit: Aaaannnnd just as I feared, Reminders is still just as buggy in iOS 8 as it was when Apple first updated it in iOS 7. Going shopping and checking items off my list/moving others around/Showing completed, sometimes Reminders items will looks weird, like, items will be in the dividers, and then I'll type something into it... and then crash! Still buggy.
( Last edited by Ham Sandwich; Oct 3, 2014 at 10:26 PM. )

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 3, 2014, 04:53 PM

So what's the consensus? Is it worth upgrading existing latest-gen iPad and iPhone 5, or should people wait until a few more bugs are ironed out in the next update?
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 3, 2014, 06:22 PM

I'm pretty happy with the iPad 4 and the iphone 5s

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 3, 2014, 11:53 PM

Whatever bugs it has are outweighed by triple-tap to select a paragraph getting fixed.

Seriously.

Ham Sandwich
Oct 4, 2014, 03:07 PM

Hardly. iOS 8 is full of bugs that weren't present in iOS 7. Reminders crashes, Safari crashes when you load a new page and you hold the iPod in a way to rotate the view... Speaking of which widescreen view is pointless because the keyboard and suggestions take up so much of the screen that you can't see what you type into the text box. The .com button is still missing. More on iOS 8 later.

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 4, 2014, 04:22 PM

Has anyone else repeated And.reg's findings with those bugs?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

unicast reversepath
Forum Regular
Oct 4, 2014, 04:47 PM

I waited until 8.0.2, and then decided to roll the dice and update my 5s.
No real problems so far, and it actually seems to load apps quicker now.

After reading about phones being partially unusable or getting totally hosed after the last several IOS updates, I cannot help but think "Hey, whatever happened to 'it just works' ?"

(it just DOESN'T!)
If you have Ghosts, you have Everything!

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 4, 2014, 08:11 PM

The ".com" shows up when you hold the "."

I prefer it this way, because I alterbate frequently between .com, .de and .net and .org.

Edit: "Alterbate" is probably the best Freudian typo ever. Not caught by auto-correct. Awesome.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 4, 2014, 10:45 PM

I'm growing increasingly disappointed in "auto-correct".

I sure could use an albernative.

-t

Cold Warrior
Oct 5, 2014, 08:26 PM

Shared photo streams Activity has a weird flex to them in landscape mode. Instead of a smooth scroll, it can flex up and down to reveal white edges.

badidea
Professional Poster
Oct 7, 2014, 05:53 AM

I haven't found any bugs so far in iOS8 (iPhone 6)!

I didn't activate Photostream yet again though since it never worked as expected before I moved to iOS8!

Ham Sandwich
Oct 16, 2014, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by badidea View Post
Try updating your Reminders list where you have no Wifi/Internet access.

Create a new item, then attempt to move it where you want on the list. Reminders will keep it there for a few seconds, then move it back down to the bottom of the list, and it won't stay where you want no matter how many times you drag it. This has been going on since iOS 7 and has not been remedied.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 17, 2014, 03:43 PM

If you pick the highlighted choice in the autofill, sometimes it won't fill in, but think it did, leaving you with a word fragment.

webraider
Forum Regular
Oct 21, 2014, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by badidea View Post

I didn't activate Photostream yet again though since it never worked as expected before I moved to iOS8!
I have.. If I update an App through iTunes and not my iPhone 6/iPad, then sync the update over to the phone, The App DOES update, but the App store on my iPhone still shows that i have the update as pending and the it still shows the number of updates as if I never updated it through iTunes. Definitely a Bug!!!!

If I do update it from the phone instead, (or my iPad), then the download clears in the App store and moves to update.

HamSandwich
Oct 25, 2014, 05:25 AM

Find iOS 8 very colorful.

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 25, 2014, 07:13 PM

I upgraded my iPhone 5s this afternoon, and it went pretty smoothly. I'm going to upgrade my iPad 2 later. I've ensured that I have everything on it backed up, especially the rather numerous PDF books/manuals/references I keep in iBooks.

Cold Warrior
Oct 25, 2014, 08:39 PM

Feedback for iPad 2 on iOS 8 is that performance is really poor, FYI.

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 25, 2014, 09:09 PM

I'm hoping to hear from someone who's gone to 8.1 with an iPad 2. I'm not rushing.

Ham Sandwich
Oct 25, 2014, 10:19 PM

An annoying bug that surfaced in iOS 6, and was remedied in iOS 7, came back in iOS 8, and the iOS 8.1 update hasn't remedied it: when you start your iPhone/iPod Touch (at least mine), you'll eventually get to the "Slide to unlock" screen, but you actually have to wait an extra few seconds before it actually slides to unlock. This is highly misleading and was remedied, so why can't Apple remedy it again?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 26, 2014, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
I'm hoping to hear from someone who's gone to 8.1 with an iPad 2. I'm not rushing.
It'so quite acceptable on my daughter's iPad 2. Admittedly, she's not a heavy user.

P
Oct 26, 2014, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by And.reg View Post
An annoying bug that surfaced in iOS 6, and was remedied in iOS 7, came back in iOS 8, and the iOS 8.1 update hasn't remedied it: when you start your iPhone/iPod Touch (at least mine), you'll eventually get to the "Slide to unlock" screen, but you actually have to wait an extra few seconds before it actually slides to unlock. This is highly misleading and was remedied, so why can't Apple remedy it again?
This is SOP for Apple, they do the same in a lot of situations. Most apps launch in this manner, and OS X certainly does. It gives the impression that the device is faster than it really is.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 31, 2014, 02:27 PM

I'm starting to get really pissed with how buggy text input on Safari is.

Sometimes, copy just... won't.
The cut/copy/paste balloon will dissapear, and require typing voodoo to come back.
Text popups deselect their own text field.
Rather than let you place the cursor, sometimes it gets stuck on selecting the whole word, and it won't unselect it.
The cursor can end up outside a text field and it will not let you scroll.

Ham Sandwich
Nov 1, 2014, 04:04 PM

Why are my Notes not syncing? I open a new Note on iOS 8 and it doesn't show up when I open Notes on my Macbook

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 1, 2014, 08:13 PM

Are you sure you've set the default Notes location to iCloud?

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 2, 2014, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
I'm starting to get really pissed with how buggy text input on Safari is.

Sometimes, copy just... won't.
The cut/copy/paste balloon will dissapear, and require typing voodoo to come back.
Text popups deselect their own text field.
Rather than let you place the cursor, sometimes it gets stuck on selecting the whole word, and it won't unselect it.
The cursor can end up outside a text field and it will not let you scroll.
Agreed...I've run into some really weird text bugs where the balloon only appears for an instant, not long enough to select anything. Very frustrating.

Also, I just discovered that Family Sharing seems not to mean that you can share iCloud storage for device backups - so if I get 200Gb for my iCloud account on the iPad, she still needs to buy her own iCloud storage space for her iPhone backup, even though we are sharing apps, purchases etc. as "family". That doesn't seem right at all....

Ham Sandwich
Nov 7, 2014, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Are you sure you've set the default Notes location to iCloud?
Actually I have it uncheck-marked, because it tells me that I need to setup an iCloud email address, which I cannot change, and I don't want to do that. (1) I might want a different email address, and (2) I don't see why I need an email address just to sync notes. I mean, I don't need a separate email address to sync Reminders, so why do I need one for Notes?

Is there any way I can share something like journal entries between my devices and not be required to setup an iCloud email address?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 8, 2014, 06:52 AM

It's really very simple:

Notes sync via IMAP.

No IMAP mail account, no synced Notes.

You can use a different mail account from iCloud, though, to similar effect.

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 9, 2014, 07:17 PM

Just a follow up; I upgraded my iPad 2 to iOS 8.1 a few days ago, and it has been fine, It was kind of laggy at first, but I rebooted it and since then it's been just as zippy as it was with 7.x.

Cold Warrior
Nov 10, 2014, 02:26 PM

Thanks. I've been hoping for your report. I have an iPad 2 still on iOS 7 but it doesn't have the free space for OTA or iTunes-tethered updates, so I'll have to clean it up first.

emilyheming
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 11, 2014, 09:23 AM

iOS 8 running on an iPhone 6 and its amazing to play with this new version of Apple operating system.

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 15, 2014, 01:45 PM

After a good week, I can report that there are only a few less than perfect things about iOS 8.1 on my iPad 2. Sometimes the screen animations, like when I open or close a folder, pause and don't animate smoothly. Sometimes it's clear that something is going on in the background to slow other things down, but these are brief interruptions.

On the other hand, on my iPhone 5s, I still have issues with Siri not knowing that I have texts or iMessages when I have just heard an alert sound (and when I check visually there IS at least one message there). I think there are a lot of apps using background processing that I'm not expecting to be taking up cycles, so I've gotten a (very delayed) apology from Siri that she's bush and "can't do that right now". It seems that some apps use location services differently, and there's a location services icon on the left side of the top bar that shows up sometimes, but I'm always too busy to look into it when I see it, so I don't know what's doing what.

All pretty positive, but a few things I still have to get used to.

P
Nov 17, 2014, 07:36 PM

8.1.1 made me upgrade my iPad mini, and so far I feel that it is the tiniest bit faster, at least in Safari.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 20, 2014, 08:02 AM

My wife's mini told her that 8.1.1 was available. I checked my iPad2 under Settings and saw it was available for me too (but I didn't get a notification). We'll probably upgrade this weekend.

Thorzdad
Nov 20, 2014, 09:09 AM

After a good week, I can report that there are only a few less than perfect things about iOS 8.1 on my iPad 2. Sometimes the screen animations, like when I open or close a folder, pause and don't animate smoothly. Sometimes it's clear that something is going on in the background to slow other things down, but these are brief interruptions.
I get this a lot on my iPad Air ever since upgrading to 8.1. Even clicking the Home button to close an app often results in the app suddenly disappearing, rather than the usual animation. I've turned off anything I could that might go on in the background, but the problem persists.

A couple of days ago, the Air completely lost connection with my home WiFi. At first, I thought maybe my Airport had gone down, but my wife was still surfing away on her old MacBook. Rebooting the Air didn't help. Toggling Email on/off brought Wifi back. Weird.

Thorzdad
Nov 20, 2014, 09:12 AM

Also...Is anyone seeing this in Safari in 8.1? I use tabs in Safari. A lot of the time, I'll open a link on a page in a second tab. When I'm done reading the new tab, I'll close it an go back to the first tab. But, the first tab is now completely blank. I have to reload the tab to get it back. I don't recall seeing that happen before 8.1.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 20, 2014, 09:16 AM

Are you kidding? That happened constantly on my iPad Air under iOS 7 - it was infuriating. It actually got a little bit better on iOS 8. I just sold it so can't check the new update.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Nov 20, 2014, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
Also...Is anyone seeing this in Safari in 8.1? I use tabs in Safari. A lot of the time, I'll open a link on a page in a second tab. When I'm done reading the new tab, I'll close it an go back to the first tab. But, the first tab is now completely blank. I have to reload the tab to get it back. I don't recall seeing that happen before 8.1.
This has happened forever.

There was a brief period in iOS 7 (about 6 months) where I rarely go it.

Now I get it all the time. Again.

-t

Thorzdad
Nov 20, 2014, 09:31 AM

Weird. As I said, I don't recall it happening before updating to 8.1. Searching around for info, I discovered that Safari used to have a problem with constantly reloading tabs in the background. I guess Apple's fix was to kill reloading altogether?

P
Nov 20, 2014, 09:43 AM

Something is rotten in the state of iOS 8. Ars is running another piece now about how 8.1.1 is supposed to improve performance on iPad 2/iPad mini/iPhone 4S, and how it barely does that, and the comment thread is full of complaints. Meanwhile consensus in this thread seems to be that it is all fine.

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 21, 2014, 08:04 AM

Well I hardly think most of us consider our iPads as "production machines," so an occasional (or even frequent) cosmetic glitch shouldn't be a big deal. In iOS 6 I had the animations turned off because at the time they were visually distracting. They were turned back on wen I moved to 7, and I didn't bother doing anything with them, but now I'm planning to turn the animations off again and see if that smooths out things like Home button actions.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 21, 2014, 12:56 PM

A number of us absolutely depend upon iPads in production environments. Experiencing a glitch or a hang as you're switching patches on your rig while the drummer is already counting in the next song is pure adrenalin horror.

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 21, 2014, 06:21 PM

I didn't realize that there was a big production niche for the iPad. Very interesting - and VERY critical with live music. Having been "the sound guy" for official functions that were always characterized as "mission critical" (which extended to unscheduled retirement ceremonies) I have been there with live music, speakers, mics and amps all needing to be perfect (even if the guy using the mic couldn't read the sign on it that says "TURN ON MIC" before he starts talking...) Yes, terror is a great word for that feeling.

On the other hand, isn't this the sort of thing you'd wait for other people to test out before you dove in? Bumping up the OS on any production machine isn't a trivial matter...

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 21, 2014, 08:30 PM

I didn't update my iPad 2 until after I'd replaced it with an Air 2 and made sure that my essential software worked fine under iOS 8.

It is absolutely amazing to me how quickly iPad has become the expected norm for stage use: virtually all musicians I know use one for notation/set lists, many bands synchronizing them via Bluetooth.

Most major live mixing consoles offer iPad connectivity for remote control and/or monitor control.

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 22, 2014, 10:06 AM

That makes lots of sense, now that I know about it. Frankly, mixing boards have been too complex for a long time, and most have had enough identical controls across them to make it a challenge to just find the channel you want to adjust. It's the sort of thing that begged for an automated approach. I'm just surprised that the iPod was that solution because of the seemingly limited interface options with the device. I guess I just didn't think about it.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 22, 2014, 12:43 PM

There is nothing "automated" or unified about these solutions. Every maker offers apps to go with their hardware, and which functions are supported depend upon the console. The learning curve is no shallower than it was. And with good reason: all that functionality exists out of necessity, and with good reason. There is no "GarageBand" approach to live music.

It is FAR preferable to twist the hardware knobs directly, but being able to walk through the venue and make adjustments from wherever you stand, is a HUGE benefit, not to mention being able to just walk around onstage and ask musicians directly what they need to hear, make EQ adjustments to the monitors directly, etc, saves ENORMOUSLY on time.

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 22, 2014, 08:11 PM

I meant "computerized" rather than actually "automated." I figured there's be some sort of benefit in mixer control apps, such as in reduction of complexity in just looking at fifty zillion channels across a board, but I guess the mixer people didn't see it that way. Ah well, enough for my education, and this derail...

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 23, 2014, 05:52 PM

Am I the only one experiencing the utterly ****ed clipboard behavior?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 23, 2014, 06:34 PM

I meant "computerized" rather than actually "automated." I figured there's be some sort of benefit in mixer control apps, such as in reduction of complexity in just looking at fifty zillion channels across a board, but I guess the mixer people didn't see it that way. Ah well, enough for my education, and this derail...
Well, they've been "computerized" since going digital, back in the o2r days.
Apparently, there are substantial differences in how remote-controllable the various platforms are, as some have the digital controls tied directly to the hardware, so only things like routing and monitor sends/EQs are iPad-controllable, while others are more openly structured. This is changing, obviously, as the iPad changes the mixing landscape.

P
Nov 23, 2014, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Am I the only one experiencing the utterly ****ed clipboard behavior?
Doing a copy with the little arrow out from box is unreliable, IME, but selecting something and copying has worked thus far.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 23, 2014, 09:31 PM

Arrow out from box?

Forum Links
Forum Rules