Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > WTF memory leak in Messages ?

WTF memory leak in Messages ?
turtle777
Clinically Insane
Nov 12, 2014, 12:05 AM

This thing just brought my iMac to a halt.

-t

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 12, 2014, 12:34 AM

Were you trying to send iMessages to Lotus Notes?

Cold Warrior
Nov 12, 2014, 06:55 AM

Maybe this is Apple's way of mining Bitcoin.

techweenie1
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 13, 2014, 05:33 AM

I've had nothing but problems with Yosemite on all my macs, I just bought a new retina macbook pro that came with Mavericks and I'm not going to upgrade, which is the first time I've held back from updating a Mac's OS since the late 90s / early 2000s..I'm guessing iMessage is just another issue with it.

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 15, 2014, 01:50 PM

That's a HUGE amount of memory (real or virtual) for an app to use. Something ain't kosher about that, but I'd think that this sort of leak would have shown up before it ate FIFTY-THREE GB of memory...

techweenie1, you seem to be in a minority in despising Yosemite. I'm sure that a lot of other users have had an issue or two, and I doubt that iMessage is actually internally borked in turtle's machine. Your statement "nothing but problems" is too vague for me to understand whether you've had a glitch or two, "getting used to things" issues, or that your Macs have seized up and just plain stopped "because of" Yosemite. Care to elaborate?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

turtle777  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 15, 2014, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
That's a HUGE amount of memory (real or virtual) for an app to use. Something ain't kosher about that, but I'd think that this sort of leak would have shown up before it ate FIFTY-THREE GB of memory...
I think it did. My Mac froze and was unusable, but that was when I was away from home. It must have kept growing after it started being unusable.

-t

techweenie1
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 17, 2014, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post

techweenie1, you seem to be in a minority in despising Yosemite. I'm sure that a lot of other users have had an issue or two, and I doubt that iMessage is actually internally borked in turtle's machine. Your statement "nothing but problems" is too vague for me to understand whether you've had a glitch or two, "getting used to things" issues, or that your Macs have seized up and just plain stopped "because of" Yosemite. Care to elaborate?
Let's see...Old MacBook Pro, was working fine with Mavericks

1) WIFI dropping constantly, lucky if I can surf for 30 mins without it dying on me, tried trashing prefs all it did was break my network.
2) Screen randomly goes bad on me, lucky if I can have image remain "unfaded" for 5 mins...plugged it into external monitor so I could use it.
3) Updated to 10.10.1 and now all I get is a faded "international no sign."

on an Old Mac Pro, also was working fine with Mavericks

1) Fried my USB stick
2) Waking from Sleep Causes kernel panics.

Had to buy a new MacBook Retina as I'm in the middle of a project and can't be without a laptop...NOT upgrading it to Yosemite based on all this crap. Is that vivid enough for you?

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 20, 2014, 08:18 AM

Both of those issues are hardware, not OS. Your MBP's screen is apparently losing backlight. WiFi "breaks" your network after you trash prefs? Not definitely the OS, but you can't rule out that the AirPort card in your MBP is failing too. And the lovely "I can't find a boot device" message is really all about the machine, and not the OS.

Your Mac Pro has hardware issues too. There is no way the OS can "fry" a USB stick. That takes a hardware problem. Kernel panics from waking from sleep? Probably hard drive or the drive controller.

The common factor in these problems popping up is installing the new OS, which almost certainly uses different (and possibly failing) portions of the hard drives. If you have an external drive you can play with, you might try reinstalling the OS for one of those machines using the external drive instead of the internal drive. That would show you whether it's the drive itself, or the rest of the machine.

Atheist
Mac Elite
Nov 20, 2014, 09:14 AM

^^^Yosemite WiFi issues are real and affect a lot of people. 10.10.1 addressed it specifically but some users are still reporting problems.

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 21, 2014, 08:07 AM

I agree that there are some WiFi issues, but with everything else going on with techweenie1's machines, I'd suggest that the WiFi problems are less critical than the other, obviously hardware-related problems.

Forum Links
Forum Rules