Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > ****!

****!
subego
Clinically Insane
Jan 9, 2015, 03:16 PM

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 9, 2015, 03:17 PM

Spoiler alert:

Black = guilty
Cop = Not guilty
White = depends on their yearly income

your welcome for ruining the thread

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Jan 9, 2015, 03:20 PM

Wear a "Rush Limbaugh" Tee shirt. you'll be outta there in 20 minutes.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 9, 2015, 03:22 PM

Just link them to the cop thread.

Thorzdad
Jan 9, 2015, 03:26 PM

What's the problem? I've served on two juries and enjoyed the experience quite a lot. The last jury I served on was a great group of people, and we had some really great discussions and debates during deliberation. Everyone should do it at least once.

design219
Professional Poster
Jan 9, 2015, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
Everyone should do it at least once.
Agreed. I once found I had been called to jury duty AFTER my boss had already gotten me out of it. I was young and my boss was connected. I was annoyed I didn't get the experience, but then again, I was young and could have used the diversion from work.

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 9, 2015, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by badkosh View Post
wear an "infowars.com" tee shirt. You'll be outta there in 2 minutes.
ftfy
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 9, 2015, 03:33 PM

I was called soon after getting out of college and starting a new job. I broke, in debt and claimed hardship. Got out of it.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 9, 2015, 03:36 PM

I've been summoned numerous times, but have never served on a case. I have little respect for the process and despise most attorneys, and I'm not afraid of telling a judge that.

edit: ok, some respect for the process, but it's just too.... ass dragging and laughable at times.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 9, 2015, 03:38 PM

I've served, so there's no need on that front.

I don't need the random chunk taken out of my life right now.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 9, 2015, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by BadKosh View Post
Wear a "Rush Limbaugh" Tee shirt. you'll be outta there in 20 minutes.
Ha!

I wore a Deep Throat XXX T the last time I was called. Great for child custody cases.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 9, 2015, 03:43 PM

Oh, FFS...

It's at a courthouse an hour drive away.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 9, 2015, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Oh, FFS...

Would they pay gas and a daily fee? In NYC they do.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 9, 2015, 03:47 PM

A pittance, judging from last time.

At least that one was 10 minutes away.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 9, 2015, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by osiris View Post
I've been summoned numerous times, but have never served on a case. I have little respect for the process and despise most attorneys, and I'm not afraid of telling a judge that.

edit: ok, some respect for the process, but it's just too.... ass dragging and laughable at times.
If you actually served, I suspect you would have a lot more respect.

I have yet to meet anyone who has done so who hasn't come away with a renewed and healthier respect for the legal process.
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 9, 2015, 05:48 PM

I was summoned once. I was actually looking forward to it and I appeared in court to participate in the jury pool. My name was called and I was dismissed with not even a question posed to me. I was in the middle of a big project at the time and I've always suspected my boss at the time was involved. If he was he never fessed up.

OAW

iMOTOR
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2015, 06:12 PM

Oh, FFS...

If you call them, they might let you transfer to the closer court. That's what I always do.

Teronzhul
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 9, 2015, 08:01 PM

I was summoned once, selected for a jury, and then on the day of the trial the accused agreed to a deal and they dismissed the case. That was when I got annoyed.

mindwaves
Jan 10, 2015, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
If you actually served, I suspect you would have a lot more respect.

I have yet to meet anyone who has done so who hasn't come away with a renewed and healthier respect for the legal process.
If I had been served, I am sure that I would indeed have a renewed and healthier respect for the legal process, but I still wouldn't want to serve. My time is better spent elsewhere.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 10, 2015, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by mindwaves View Post
If I had been served, I am sure that I would indeed have a renewed and healthier respect for the legal process, but I still wouldn't want to serve. My time is better spent elsewhere.
Ultimately, that's going to depend on the case. Mine was an utter waste. Jackasses sniping at each other in civil court. We awarded only a dollar to make the point of how stupid it was.

If it was an innocent person charged with a capital crime, I'd feel differently.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 10, 2015, 08:50 AM

I could potentially get out of it by admitting when I served, I started holding the attorneys' appearance and mode of dress against them.

Which is 100% true.

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 10, 2015, 11:43 AM

In my county, they give you a bus pass for the first day, and though first day jury pay is about $6.50, it goes to $30-something per day if the trial goes more than a day or two.

An hour's drive to the courthouse? Where do you live, and where is that courthouse?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2015, 12:25 PM

Ultimately, that's going to depend on the case. Mine was an utter waste. Jackasses sniping at each other in civil court. We awarded only a dollar to make the point of how stupid it was.

If it was an innocent person charged with a capital crime, I'd feel differently.
Right. Forgot that you're Americans. Up here it would be a miracle to get a jury trial for that type of civil matter - everyone acknowledges it's a complete and stupid waste of time that the judge is perfectly capable of handling. Juries are almost exclusively restricted to more serious criminal matters.

So take my earlier comments with an appropriate amount of salt - I can't be a juror but if I could, I would strangle everyone in the courtroom if I was called for a civil matter.
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 10, 2015, 12:42 PM

I initially proposed the plantiff should be sentenced to hang for wasting our time.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 10, 2015, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
In my county, they give you a bus pass for the first day, and though first day jury pay is about $6.50, it goes to $30-something per day if the trial goes more than a day or two.

An hour's drive to the courthouse? Where do you live, and where is that courthouse?
I live in the city proper, let's say at Wrigley Field, like the Blues Brothers. The courthouse is in Rolling Meadows.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 10, 2015, 12:53 PM

It's 46 minutes now, but this would be during rush hour.

andi*pandi
Jan 10, 2015, 01:03 PM

looks not fun.

I've never served. I got called once, but it was after I'd moved.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2015, 01:23 PM

Spent a lot of time in Chi-town. The IT consulting company I used to work for was headquartered downtown. It was always preferable to stay downtown when I was up there. Especially with an expense account. But every now and again I'd have to stay out that way on your map. The cab ride was not fun especially during rush hour.

OAW

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 10, 2015, 04:47 PM

Holy cow that's an ugly distance to have to mess with.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 10, 2015, 09:48 PM

For anyone who's not been to Chicago, that big grey spot where it says "Rosemont" is O'hare Airport.

So, if you've ever flown into a major city and taken a cab downtown... it's about double that distance.

unicast reversepath
Forum Regular
Jan 10, 2015, 11:51 PM

The only time I was called for JD, I wore a tie-died t-shirt with an Alfred E Newman "what, me worry?" iron-on patch and tied my hair in a top knot.
If you have Ghosts, you have Everything!

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 11, 2015, 12:20 AM

The best we had was a woman who made sure to say something insane when the opportunity came up. I forgot what it was, but it got her off.

reader50
Administrator
Jan 11, 2015, 01:21 AM

I like the jury duty idea on principle, but think the lawyers should not dismiss anyone intelligent or knowledgeable. We have a right to trial by a jury of our peers, not by a jury of our dumbest and uninformed peers.

That said subego, if you really want off ... do you have any of your whiteface paint left? Show up in full band form. Do everything else legit.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 11, 2015, 02:26 AM

Crap in your pants, that's how one guy I know of got out of serving.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

Cold Warrior
Jan 11, 2015, 09:49 AM

Most prosecutors and judges hate the idea of jury nullification. I think it has its relevancy at times, where those times is of course up to the jury. I am not saying to use this to get out of duty, but bringing it up since we are talking about juries.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 11, 2015, 12:32 PM

I received a summons in the mail yesterday for 02/12. I have to look through files. I was given a "get out of jury duty free card" I was called last year and was called in the first group of the day for a civil suit. I was not selected because my wife got shafted when a TV fell on her head at the Brown Derby lounge in Scottsdale and her non tort experienced lawyer managed to get an award of $5000. (This happened before we met. I would have sent her to an injury lawyer)
45/47

Thorzdad
Jan 11, 2015, 12:36 PM

Subego, unless you can successfully plead ahead of time some sort of hardship (and, driving an hour doesn't count) you're going to have to show up for at least the jury selection part of the process. In my experience, they summon enough people so that they have a large enough group to select a jury from, so it'll be you and about double the number of your fellow citizens that would comprise a sitting jury.

You will be asked a very simple question...Do you feel you will be able to perform your duty as a juror without prejudice for one side or the other? Simply answer "No" and you should be immediately let go. End of story.

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
Most prosecutors and judges hate the idea of jury nullification. I think it has its relevancy at times, where those times is of course up to the jury. I am not saying to use this to get out of duty, but bringing it up since we are talking about juries.
Here in Indiana, jury nullification is actually written into the state constitution. The last jury I sat on came very close to enacting nullification. It was a meth production case. The short version was that this homeless guy, his wife and their child managed to land a room for a night in a house owned by a friend of a friend. Unbeknownst to the family, the friend of a friend had another guy over that night to cook some meth in a back room (on the other side of the house from where the family was staying.

At some point in the night, the meth cook had the homeless guy wash-out a few mason jars, and throw out some trash. As it turns out, the mason jars were later used in the meth cook, and the trash included meth-related debris (some empty sudafed boxes, torn-up alkaline batteries, etc.) At no time did the homeless guy ever see or participate in the cooking. He had no idea it was going on until the cops raided the house. He was scooped up by the cops, of course.

As it was explained to the jury, the law in Indiana says that anyone who helps in any way in a meth cook is as guilty as the person actually doing the cooking. Which meant that, this guy, who only washed a couple of jars and took out the trash, without ever knowing what was going on, was looking at doing the same time as the guy who was actually producing the meth. That didn't sit right with a lot of us in the jury.

After many hours of deliberation, we couldn't come to a unanimous decision on it, and sent a message to the judge that we were deadlocked. That's when they marched us back into the courtroom and had the prosecutor and the defense speak to us. That's when we first heard about jury nullification, where, if we thought the law was bogus (and, most of us definitely did) we could ignore it and vote as we saw fit. We came very close to doing just that, but there were still a couple of "The law is the law" folks holding out, so we ended up a hung jury, even though the big majority of us wanted the guy to go free. I have no idea if he was ever re-tried. I hope not. The prosecutor was a smug asshole, and the whole thing just smelled like he was out to simply get another conviction on his resume.

Cold Warrior
Jan 11, 2015, 01:03 PM

I was in a jury like that once. The prosecutors seemed like jerks and going through the motions. We also felt like the case was bogus and the guy innocent and we all voted that way with perhaps 15 minutes deliberation. The prosecutors were young too -- it felt like his was set up to be a training session for them. I wish we could have censured them in some way.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 11, 2015, 01:05 PM

Well... I don't have to show up. They'll send another summons, and if I bail on that, then I get fined.

The hardship is driving an hour to be someplace at 9 AM. I'm in a band, FFS.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 3, 2015, 08:54 AM

It's tomorrow. So not going to this.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 3, 2015, 09:53 AM

My mother forgot she had JD and was called at work. She was told if she did not report, a deputy would be sent to bring her to the court house. That was in the 70's I don't know if they would do that today.
45/47

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 3, 2015, 11:13 AM

Not nearly as onerous. On the summons they say you'll be subject to a fine. The amount isn't mentioned, but I'd be pretty shocked if it was close to my day-rate.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 3, 2015, 01:26 PM

24 miles is nothing. I drive 44 miles round trip every day to work. Maricopa county is one of the larger counties in the US. If you get a summons and you live in the southern part it's over 100 miles to Phoenix.

If you are double unfortunate, your summons is for the east court complex in Mesa, so add another twenty miles to your trip. Fortunately, the odds they'll send you a summons when you live in Gila Bend is pretty low.
45/47

reader50
Administrator
Feb 3, 2015, 02:22 PM

If we don't see you online tomorrow, we'll know what happened. Any idea which pokey they might use? NN'ers in the area could visit and offer sympathy.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 3, 2015, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
24 miles is nothing. I drive 44 miles round trip every day to work. Maricopa county is one of the larger counties in the US. If you get a summons and you live in the southern part it's over 100 miles to Phoenix.

If you are double unfortunate, your summons is for the east court complex in Mesa, so add another twenty miles to your trip. Fortunately, the odds they'll send you a summons when you live in Gila Bend is pretty low.
When Chicago was made, they decided to throw in a few extra pinches of traffic congestion.

If I could get to my destination at speed, it wouldn't bother me.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 5, 2015, 10:11 PM

Didn't go.

Was going to call the number to see if I was let off, started mulling whether I wanted to know, and then got distracted...

Shiny!

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 16, 2015, 03:15 PM

I called the Jury line and the recording said my group had to call the next morning at 10:15 to see if we were needed to report at 12:30. Lucky for me we were not needed.
45/47

jmiddel
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 16, 2015, 10:59 PM

You cannot compare 24 miles in Arizona with 24 miles in Chicago! I live in Albuquerque which is similar, albeit smaller than Phoenix in terms of traffic, and you can do 24 miles on the interstate in 20 minutes. In Chicago, I've spent endless time on the 90 just stuck in traffic anywhere even close to rush hour, which is what you're in if you have to be in court at 9 AM.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 17, 2015, 12:04 AM

Those coming from the east valley (Mesa, Gilbert, Apache Junction, Queen Creek) Have 30 to 50 mile rush hour drive. The 60 crawls during the am commute. I lived in Gilbert and worked at the old Motorola plant in Mesa. It took me 45 minutes for a 12 mile drive on a good day, longer if there was a crash, and I started at 7 am
45/47

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 17, 2015, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by jmiddel View Post
You cannot compare 24 miles in Arizona with 24 miles in Chicago! I live in Albuquerque which is similar, albeit smaller than Phoenix in terms of traffic, and you can do 24 miles on the interstate in 20 minutes. In Chicago, I've spent endless time on the 90 just stuck in traffic anywhere even close to rush hour, which is what you're in if you have to be in court at 9 AM.
As an aside, is New Mexico really the land of enchantment, or is it PR?

Forum Links
Forum Rules