Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > SONY Hacks and fallout vs Charlie and further intolerences

SONY Hacks and fallout vs Charlie and further intolerences (Page 3)
besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 12, 2015, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants View Post
Depends on the mosque. If they're condoning these attacks they deserve to be buried in soiled diapers and filth, at the very least.
Sure, agreed. That's not what he said though, which is why he continues to be a moron.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 12, 2015, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
$5 says almost any country you would name sent someone to France. It was kind of staggering. If it had been much more sporadic, I wouldn't be as upset.
In the eyes of the US: Besides, they're French. Remember Freedom Fries? Maybe this is 'payback', as creepy as it sounds.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 12, 2015, 12:37 PM

Personal attacks used to cause someone else to blow-up/lose their temper, there's never a good reason to simply resort to name-calling. It's becoming an all-too-common tactic around here when people lose their cool (or want to get another person into trouble).

I normally feel that way too, but when one can't be reasoned with yet are still saying some dangerous things, perhaps they should be treated like a child.

It's a new experiment for me.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 12, 2015, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by osiris View Post
In the eyes of the US: Besides, they're French. Remember Freedom Fries? Maybe this is 'payback', as creepy as it sounds.
I think our anti-muslim fetish far outweighs our anti-french one. And that's assuming the ivory tower liberals in the administration even buy into that shit.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 12, 2015, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Sure, agreed. That's not what he said though, which is why he continues to be a moron.
Looks like you were the one who jumped to conclusions that he was talking about all mosques.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 12, 2015, 12:39 PM

I think you're giving besson more credit than he deserves.
It's strange that because I happened to agree with OAW in that thread, I am now him.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 12, 2015, 12:41 PM

Looks like you were the one who jumped to conclusions that he was talking about all mosques.

What is this, trying to turn the tables on me for your doing the same thing in the other thread in your using sloppy imprecise language?

Look at the original post:

What is it with these wack jobs? First the North Koreans Hack SONY because Un can't take a joke, and now the Islamoterrorists are killing people because THEY are too immature, violent, and shallow. I'm sorry our own cowardly Mainstream Propagandists couldn't get past their fears, and their narrative to push back.

#BuryMosquesInGarbage.
I might be asking the wrong guy, but do you see any nuance in here.. Hints that he might only be referring to mosques that support the radical attacks? I don't.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 12, 2015, 12:42 PM

It's strange that because I happened to agree with OAW in that thread, I am now him.
He started the name-calling there, you started it here. Not so strange at all.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 12, 2015, 12:46 PM

He started the name-calling there, you started it here. Not so strange at all.
You figured us out, we are the same guy, and also Abe. How long are you going to be sore about that thread?

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 12, 2015, 12:47 PM

What is this, trying to turn the tables on me for your doing the same thing in the other thread in your using sloppy imprecise language?
You seem to love jumping to conclusions, and now you're going off halfcocked on him. Fortunately he seems to be better at handling it than I was and hasn't fired back in kind.

I might be asking the wrong guy, but do you see any nuance in here.. Hints that he might only be referring to mosques that support the radical attacks? I don't.
So you escalate by insulting instead of asking? That's hardly brilliant.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 12, 2015, 12:49 PM

You figured us out, we are the same guy, and also Abe. How long are you going to be sore about that thread?
I didn't say you're the same guy, I know you aren't, but I will say you're not acting dissimilar, whether intentional or otherwise.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 12, 2015, 12:53 PM

Allow me to unhelpfully add how much I enjoy this place without besson around.

Now I open a page and see a back and forth involving him and my eyes glaze over.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 12, 2015, 12:57 PM

So you escalate by insulting instead of asking? That's hardly brilliant.
Whatever. He's a big boy, if he wants to make big boy statements he needs to be accountable for what he says. The same applies to all of us. It boils down to this, regardless of my tactics.

Backwards, unevolved statements need to be called out. This is how we evolve.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 12, 2015, 12:59 PM

Allow me to unhelpfully add how much I enjoy this place without besson around.

Now I open a page and see a back and forth involving him and my eyes glaze over.

I will stop, I've made my point (although just to make sure: Badkosh, you are a moron).

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 12, 2015, 01:06 PM

So... why didn't the US send anyone to the march?
"Obama or Biden would have been a distraction" Netanyahu wasn't a distraction? Abbas?

Holder was already in France for an anti terrorism conference. Were there no conference, no US official other than the Ambassador would have been on French soil.
45/47

Cold Warrior
Jan 12, 2015, 01:45 PM

Yep, 10 it is.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 12, 2015, 01:45 PM

I think our anti-muslim fetish far outweighs our anti-french one.
true. but why not combine both!

BadKosh  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 12, 2015, 03:35 PM

I normally feel that way too, but when one can't be reasoned with yet are still saying some dangerous things, perhaps they should be treated like a child.

It's a new experiment for me.
you STILL think your aimless emotional drivel is trying to be reasonable? You seem to have a severe problem with reality. Its like the way liberals only think you are compromising when you agree with them 100%.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 12, 2015, 03:43 PM

guys, get a room.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 12, 2015, 03:46 PM

guys, get a room.
I have a recommendation for one

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 12, 2015, 03:50 PM

ha!

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 12, 2015, 08:37 PM

So... why didn't the US send anyone to the march?
I got 3 reasons:

1. Obama is an arrogant douche, while simultaneously loathing America's position in the world and desiring to humble our standing at every turn. Showing up would overshadow the others in attendence.

2. Obama is an arrogant douche who has an overdeveloped sense of respect and admiration (to be polite about it) for the Muslim world and doesn't wish to place himself in a position of seeming in opposition to them in any way.

3. Obama is an arrogant douche who, though he could never say it publicly, feels that Charlie Hebdo had it coming to them for being so reckless and offensive to such a great religion.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 12, 2015, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by smacintush View Post
I got 3 reasons:

1. Obama is an arrogant douche, while simultaneously loathing America's position in the world and desiring to humble our standing at every turn. Showing up would overshadow the others in attendence.

2. Obama is an arrogant douche who has an overdeveloped sense of respect and admiration (to be polite about it) for the Muslim world and doesn't wish to place himself in a position of seeming in opposition to them in any way.

3. Obama is an arrogant douche who, though he could never say it publicly, feels that Charlie Hebdo had it coming to them for being so reckless and offensive to such a great religion.
45/47

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 12, 2015, 09:45 PM

Or it could simply be that the security logistics required for the POTUS to be in an open air environment weren't practical on 3 days notice. That being said, sending Holder since he was already over there would have mitigated some of the bad optics.

OAW

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 12, 2015, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by OAW View Post
Or it could simply be that the security logistics required for the POTUS to be in an open air environment weren't practical on 3 days notice. That being said, sending Holder since he was already over there would have mitigated some of the bad optics.

OAW
Would you call Netanyahu a smaller or bigger target than Obama? Bibi is out front with Merkel, Hollande, and Abbas. Open target for a sniper.
45/47

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 12, 2015, 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
Would you call Netanyahu a smaller or bigger target than Obama? Bibi is out front with Merkel, Hollande, and Abbas. Open target for a sniper.
The POTUS is the leader of the free world so yes ... he's a bigger target. He also ordered the successful mission that took out bin Laden so that put an even bigger bullseye on his back. Moreover, Hollande asked Netenyahu not to come. Perhaps out of security concerns. Netenyahu insisted because some of his Israeli political rivals were coming. Which led to Hollande inviting Abbas so France would not appear "unbalanced" in the Palestinian-Israeli conflict.

OAW

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 12, 2015, 11:53 PM

Hell, the very least he could have done is send Biden. What a tool.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 12, 2015, 11:53 PM

The President is a highly political, calculating ideologue. He does EVERYTHING for political or ideological reasons. I personally don't believe our egotist-in-chief would avoid such a big and highly visible event for such silly practical considerations.

Or maybe he's just busy getting ready for the State of the Union demagoguery.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 12, 2015, 11:57 PM

The POTUS is the leader of the free world so yes ... he's a bigger target. He also ordered the successful mission that took out bin Laden so that put an even bigger bullseye on his back. Moreover, Hollande asked Netenyahu not to come. Perhaps out of security concerns. Netenyahu insisted because some of his Israeli political rivals were coming. Which led to Hollande inviting Abbas so France would not appear "unbalanced" in the Palestinian-Israeli conflict.
There's Obama's #1 fan. Excuses, excuses... I guess Uncle Joe and John Kerry were busy too? It's shameful is what it is.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 12, 2015, 11:59 PM

The President is a highly political, calculating ideologue. He does EVERYTHING for political or ideological reasons. I personally don't believe our egotist-in-chief would avoid such a big and highly visible event for such silly practical considerations.

He was watching Dez Bryant not get a first down.

According to an administration official, President Obama spent part of his Sunday afternoon watching a National Football League game on television. Both games were broadcast hours after the march.

Read more: America snubs historic Paris rally | Daily Mail Online
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
45/47

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 12, 2015, 11:59 PM

I'll be sorting my bottle cap collection.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jan 13, 2015, 05:18 AM

As always, Merkel's ready to peel some heads.

BadKosh  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 13, 2015, 10:19 AM

Perhaps Obama is starting to realize he isn't the center of the world, and he did just get his fanny handed to him in the most recent elections. I guess he didn't want to hear questions like that from real world leaders. Perhaps Valerie Jarrett told him it wasn't important. They have a really clueless staff at the White House.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 13, 2015, 10:23 AM

I got 3 reasons:

I'm sensing a bit of bias here

It could have been Biden or Kerry too. And at some point when you have that many leaders you know security is going to be insane. The alternative would be both embarrassing and devastating.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2015, 06:17 PM

I'm sensing a bit of bias here
You caught that?

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 16, 2015, 01:31 PM

So much for "freedom of speech" in France ...

Following the heinous attacks on satirical French magazine Charlie Hebdo and Paris kosher supermarket Hyper Casher last week that left 17 people dead, Afro-French comedian Dieudonné M’bala M’bala—widely known in France by his first name—was arrested Wednesday after a controversial Facebook post led police to charge that he was an “apologist for terrorism.”

Dieudonné, who was among 54 people, including four minors, detained on similar charges, had written, “Tonight, as far as I’m concerned, I feel like Charlie Coulibaly.”

The post, which has since been deleted, was a play on Charlie Hebdo supporters’ rallying cry, “Je suis Charlie,” and the name of Amedy Coulibaly, an alleged accomplice of Charlie Hebdo shooters Cherif Kouachi and Said Kouachi. Coulibaly is accused of killing four hostages and a police officer during last week’s attack on Hyper Casher before being gunned down by police officers.

This is not Dieudonné’s first brush with notoriety. He’s been slammed in international headlines over the past year as being “cruel” and full of “hate.” Ironically, that charge has also been levied against him by the New Yorker, the magazine that infamously depicted President Barack Obama and first lady Michelle Obama as fist-bumping Islamic terrorists burning the American flag in the Oval Office in a fireplace beneath a portrait of Osama bin Laden.

Dieudonné’s provocative Facebook post drew the ire of French Interior Minister Bernard Cazeneuve, who was already familiar with Dieudonné because of the comedian’s prior conviction on charges of “public defamation” for comments deemed to be anti-Semitic, for which he was fined.

As backlash against the embattled comedian intensified, he posted an open letter to Cazeneuve, which reads in part as follows:

Originally Posted by Dieudonné
Since the beginning of last year, I have been treated as public enemy number one, when all I try to do is make people laugh, and laugh about death, because death laughs at us all, as Charlie knows now, unfortunately. ... Whenever I speak, you do not try to understand what I’m trying to say, you do not want to listen to me. You are looking for a pretext to forbid me. You consider me like Amedy Coulibaly when I am not any different from Charlie.
International support for Dieudonné has been strong and swift, simultaneously serving as condemnation of France’s blatant double standard as it pertains to censorship. Within hours of the news breaking that the comedian had been arrested, the hashtag #JeSuisHypocrite began trending—and with good reason.

“We are in the land of freedom of expression?” Dieudonné’s attorney David de Stefano asked sarcastically after his client’s arrest. “This morning, the government provided the demonstration of that.”

What the government demonstrated is that the protection and privileging of whiteness and, to a slightly lesser degree, its Jewish community lies at the root of the backlash against Dieudonné; it isn’t really about the boundaries of free speech. If speech were really free, they’d pass it around more liberally instead of restricting it to the “Whites Only” table.

Charlie Hebdo has remained relatively unscathed in legal battles over the years, emerging victorious in 2007 from religion-defamation suits filed by the Paris Grand Mosque and the Union of Islamic Organizations of France. At the time, then-Interior Minister Nicolas Sarkozy, later president, angered Muslims when he was quoted as saying that he “prefers an excess of caricature to an absence of caricature” and that France is a nation with the “liberty to laugh at everything.’’

Conversely, not only has Dieudonné been arrested and found guilty of hate speech and public insult, but his home was also raided by police last year, and his show was banned for being a “threat to public order.”

Apparently, France forgot to laugh.

In an interview with Business Insider, Basile Ader, a lawyer specializing in media law, suggests that there is nothing hypocritical about the repercussions that Dieudonné is facing. "Charlie Hebdo mocks religions, which is not banned in France as the offense of blasphemy; it is no longer in our legislation," Ader said.

In an interview on NPR’s All Things Considered, France’s ambassador to the United States, Gerard Araud, also weighed in on the matter. “In France, the speech is free, but [not] if it could lead either to a crime or if it could be seen as libel,” said Araud. “But this is of course under the control of the judge. It’s for the judge to decide whether the red lines have been crossed."

Though Cazeneuve and several media outlets framed Dieudonné’s statement as sympathizing with Coulibaly, and he will stand trial because of it, those who understand how contemporary racial and religious persecution operates recognized it for what it was: an indictment of white supremacy, an exposure of hypocrisy, a rejection of cultural violence and a plea for those who unfairly target his very existence to acknowledge his humanity.

Well-executed satire is able to be all of those things. If Charlie Hebdo can depict the schoolgirls kidnapped from Chibok, Nigeria, as “welfare queens” and “sex slaves”—and French Justice Minister Christiane Taubira as a monkey—and still be hailed as martyrs, then certainly an Afro-French comedian should have the freedom to say that he’s treated like a terrorist in his own country.

The fact that he doesn’t have that freedom is, perhaps, the cruelest joke of all.
What About Free Speech for Afro-French Comedian Dieudonne? - The Root

OAW

BadKosh  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 16, 2015, 02:23 PM

France. Says it all.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 16, 2015, 05:13 PM

All is better for the US no show at the Unity Rally. Kerry brought James Taylor to serenade the French.
45/47

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 16, 2015, 08:27 PM

All is better for the US no show at the Unity Rally. Kerry brought James Taylor to serenade the French.
I'd consider that a war crime.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 16, 2015, 09:16 PM

America's worst POTUS has weighed in. As usual, it's all Israel's fault.
Jimmy Carter Blames Muslim Violence On 'Palestinian Problem' | The Daily Caller
45/47

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 17, 2015, 11:21 AM

America's worst POTUS has weighed in. As usual, it's all Israel's fault.
Jimmy Carter Blames Muslim Violence On 'Palestinian Problem' | The Daily Caller
Your biased article even says (when you get passed the headline) that the Palestinian conflict is a PART of the problem, and it is. Why the consternation?

subego
Clinically Insane
Jan 19, 2015, 07:37 AM

I want to add I am entertained by Americans fighting to pronounce "Charlie Hebdo" as French as possible.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 11, 2015, 10:31 PM

OK, two threads with nearly identical titles so I picked this one. Anyone fluent in legalese?

Obama has declared a "National Emergency"
Executive Order -- "Blocking the Property of Certain Persons Engaging in Significant Malicious Cyber-Enabled Activities"

The White House
Office of the Press Secretary

For Immediate Release April 01, 2015
Executive Order -- "Blocking the Property of Certain Persons Engaging in Significant Malicious Cyber-Enabled Activities"

EXECUTIVE ORDER

- - - - - - -

BLOCKING THE PROPERTY OF CERTAIN PERSONS ENGAGING IN

SIGNIFICANT MALICIOUS CYBER-ENABLED ACTIVITIES

By the authority vested in me as President by the Constitution and the laws of the United States of America, including the International Emergency Economic Powers Act (50 U.S.C. 1701 et seq.) (IEEPA), the National Emergencies Act (50 U.S.C. 1601 et seq.) (NEA), section 212(f) of the Immigration and Nationality Act of 1952 (8 U.S.C. 1182(f)), and section 301 of title 3, United States Code,

I, BARACK OBAMA, President of the United States of America, find that the increasing prevalence and severity of malicious cyber-enabled activities originating from, or directed by persons located, in whole or in substantial part, outside the United States constitute an unusual and extraordinary threat to the national security, foreign policy, and economy of the United States. I hereby declare a national emergency to deal with this threat.

Accordingly, I hereby order:

Section 1. (a) All property and interests in property that are in the United States, that hereafter come within the United States, or that are or hereafter come within the possession or control of any United States person of the following persons are blocked and may not be transferred, paid, exported, withdrawn, or otherwise dealt in:

(i) any person determined by the Secretary of the Treasury, in consultation with the Attorney General and the Secretary of State, to be responsible for or complicit in, or to have engaged in, directly or indirectly, cyber-enabled activities originating from, or directed by persons located, in whole or in substantial part, outside the United States that are reasonably likely to result in, or have materially contributed to, a significant threat to the national security, foreign policy, or economic health or financial stability of the United States and that have the purpose or effect of:

(A) harming, or otherwise significantly compromising the provision of services by, a computer or network of computers that support one or more entities in a critical infrastructure sector;

(B) significantly compromising the provision of services by one or more entities in a critical infrastructure sector;

(C) causing a significant disruption to the availability of a computer or network of computers; or

(D) causing a significant misappropriation of funds or economic resources, trade secrets, personal identifiers, or financial information for commercial or competitive advantage or private financial gain; or

(ii) any person determined by the Secretary of the Treasury, in consultation with the Attorney General and the Secretary of State:

(A) to be responsible for or complicit in, or to have engaged in, the receipt or use for commercial or competitive advantage or private financial gain, or by a commercial entity, outside the United States of trade secrets misappropriated through cyber-enabled means, knowing they have been misappropriated, where the misappropriation of such trade secrets is reasonably likely to result in, or has materially contributed to, a significant threat to the national security, foreign policy, or economic health or financial stability of the United States;

(B) to have materially assisted, sponsored, or provided financial, material, or technological support for, or goods or services in support of, any activity described in subsections (a)(i) or (a)(ii)(A) of this section or any person whose property and interests in property are blocked pursuant to this order;

(C) to be owned or controlled by, or to have acted or purported to act for or on behalf of, directly or indirectly, any person whose property and interests in property are blocked pursuant to this order; or

(D) to have attempted to engage in any of the activities described in subsections (a)(i) and (a)(ii)(A)-(C) of this section.

(b) The prohibitions in subsection (a) of this section apply except to the extent provided by statutes, or in regulations, orders, directives, or licenses that may be issued pursuant to this order, and notwithstanding any contract entered into or any license or permit granted prior to the effective date of this order.

Sec. 2. I hereby determine that the making of donations of the type of articles specified in section 203(b)(2) of IEEPA (50 U.S.C. 1702(b)(2)) by, to, or for the benefit of any person whose property and interests in property are blocked pursuant to section 1 of this order would seriously impair my ability to deal with the national emergency declared in this order, and I hereby prohibit such donations as provided by section 1 of this order.

Sec. 3. The prohibitions in section 1 of this order include but are not limited to:

(a) the making of any contribution or provision of funds, goods, or services by, to, or for the benefit of any person whose property and interests in property are blocked pursuant to this order; and

(b) the receipt of any contribution or provision of funds, goods, or services from any such person.

Sec. 4. I hereby find that the unrestricted immigrant and nonimmigrant entry into the United States of aliens determined to meet one or more of the criteria in section 1(a) of this order would be detrimental to the interests of the United States, and I hereby suspend entry into the United States, as immigrants or nonimmigrants, of such persons. Such persons shall be treated as persons covered by section 1 of Proclamation 8693 of July 24, 2011 (Suspension of Entry of Aliens Subject to United Nations Security Council Travel Bans and International Emergency Economic Powers Act Sanctions).

Sec. 5. (a) Any transaction that evades or avoids, has the purpose of evading or avoiding, causes a violation of, or attempts to violate any of the prohibitions set forth in this order is prohibited.

(b) Any conspiracy formed to violate any of the prohibitions set forth in this order is prohibited.

Sec. 6. For the purposes of this order:

(a) the term "person" means an individual or entity;

(b) the term "entity" means a partnership, association, trust, joint venture, corporation, group, subgroup, or other organization;

(c) the term "United States person" means any United States citizen, permanent resident alien, entity organized under the laws of the United States or any jurisdiction within the United States (including foreign branches), or any person in the United States;

(d) the term "critical infrastructure sector" means any of the designated critical infrastructure sectors identified in Presidential Policy Directive 21; and

(e) the term "misappropriation" includes any taking or obtaining by improper means, without permission or consent, or under false pretenses.

Sec. 7. For those persons whose property and interests in property are blocked pursuant to this order who might have a constitutional presence in the United States, I find that because of the ability to transfer funds or other assets instantaneously, prior notice to such persons of measures to be taken pursuant to this order would render those measures ineffectual. I therefore determine that for these measures to be effective in addressing the national emergency declared in this order, there need be no prior notice of a listing or determination made pursuant to section 1 of this order.

Sec. 8. The Secretary of the Treasury, in consultation with the Attorney General and the Secretary of State, is hereby authorized to take such actions, including the promulgation of rules and regulations, and to employ all powers granted to the President by IEEPA as may be necessary to carry out the purposes of this order. The Secretary of the Treasury may redelegate any of these functions to other officers and agencies of the United States Government consistent with applicable law. All agencies of the United States Government are hereby directed to take all appropriate measures within their authority to carry out the provisions of this order.

Sec. 9. The Secretary of the Treasury, in consultation with the Attorney General and the Secretary of State, is hereby authorized to submit the recurring and final reports to the Congress on the national emergency declared in this order, consistent with section 401(c) of the NEA (50 U.S.C. 1641(c)) and section 204(c) of IEEPA (50 U.S.C. 1703(c)).

Sec. 10. This order is not intended to, and does not, create any right or benefit, substantive or procedural, enforceable at law or in equity by any party against the United States, its departments, agencies, or entities, its officers, employees, or agents, or any other person.

BARACK OBAMA

THE WHITE HOUSE,
April 1, 2015.
POTUS statement on order.
https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press...ain-persons-en
Statement by the President on Executive Order “Blocking the Property of Certain Persons Engaging in Significant Malicious Cyber-Enabled Activities”

Today, I issued an Executive Order that provides a new authority to respond to the threat posed by malicious cyber actors. Cyber threats pose one of the most serious economic and national security challenges to the United States, and my Administration is pursuing a comprehensive strategy to confront them. As we have seen in recent months, these threats can emanate from a range of sources and target our critical infrastructure, our companies, and our citizens. This Executive Order offers a targeted tool for countering the most significant cyber threats that we face.

This Executive Order authorizes the Secretary of the Treasury, in consultation with the Attorney General and the Secretary of State, to impose sanctions on individuals or entities that engage in malicious cyber-enabled activities that create a significant threat to the national security, foreign policy, or economic health or financial stability of the United States. The malicious cyber-enabled activity must have the purpose or effect of significantly harming or compromising critical infrastructure; misappropriating funds or economic resources, trade secrets, personal identifiers, or financial information for commercial or competitive advantage or private financial gain; knowingly receiving or using trade secrets that were stolen by cyber-enabled means for commercial or competitive advantage or private financial gain; disrupting the availability of a computer or network of computers (for example, through a denial of service attack); and attempting, assisting or providing material support for any of the above activities.

I intend to employ the authorities of my office and this Administration, including diplomatic engagement, trade policy tools, and law enforcement mechanisms, to counter the threat posed by malicious cyber actors. This Executive Order supports the Administration’s broader strategy by adding a new authority to combat the most serious malicious cyber threats that we face.
45/47

unicast reversepath
Forum Regular
Apr 11, 2015, 10:36 PM

That would be going too far - but clerical leaders need to address the extremist members of their religion ASAP.
A mosque should be bombed in retaliation every time an american is beheaded by radical muslims.

If you have Ghosts, you have Everything!

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 11, 2015, 11:59 PM

So Obama has effectively declared martial law in cyberspace. Holy shit.

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 12, 2015, 03:03 PM

1(ii)B essentially outlaws pen testing.

Forum Links
Forum Rules