Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Flash tour of Apple's Infinite Loop Campus

Flash tour of Apple's Infinite Loop Campus
billy_d_goat
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 28, 2005, 06:18 PM

Hi all. A while back I collected some media for a tour around Apple's Infinite Loop (with some help from some other forum members). Recently, I updated it to run in Flash, so it is a lot easier for everyone to check out. It's in my tour gallery here:

http://www.redbugtech.com/tours.html

The virtual tour is the one with the Apple sign (of course!) on the right side. It is a nice little trip for anyone who hasn't been there yet. Just sharing the wealth...enjoy!

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 29, 2005, 09:00 AM

thats pretty cool stuff.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 29, 2005, 09:24 AM

Brings back some memories of when I worked for Apple.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
Sep 29, 2005, 03:08 PM

I hate those QTVR/Flash tours. They always suck. (No offense - just my general opinion)

billy_d_goat  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 29, 2005, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by andreas_g4
I hate those QTVR/Flash tours. They always suck. (No offense - just my general opinion)
No offense taken. I'm just curious what do you hate about them?

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Sep 29, 2005, 05:51 PM

Anything INSIDE?

Outdoor shots any bum on the street can see.
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

billy_d_goat  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 29, 2005, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Anything INSIDE?

Outdoor shots any bum on the street can see.

I'm on the east coast. Someone get me the inside shots and I'll put it together!

teney7
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 29, 2005, 06:07 PM

that is awesome.. I always wondered what it is like there

so... is that complex where the "R & D" stuff is.. like the Apple guys building 10.4.3, Mactels, and Bluetooth iPods?

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 29, 2005, 06:08 PM

Nice, I remember your first thread on this. Good job on getting it into a flash file!

-Owl

Ratm
Mac Elite
Sep 30, 2005, 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by teney7
that is awesome.. I always wondered what it is like there

so... is that complex where the "R & D" stuff is.. like the Apple guys building 10.4.3, Mactels, and Bluetooth iPods?

I think that stuff is done all over the world. Not just in one specific spot. I could be wrong tho. I plan to visit very soon, now that I'm in Cali.

ApplCmptrDood
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 30, 2005, 06:42 PM

i live about 20 minutes away from Cupertino, if i ever go to the Infinite Loop i'll try to get some inside pictures.
Apparently, I'm a sig violator. I feel honored. Oops.

billy_d_goat  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 30, 2005, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by ApplCmptrDood
i live about 20 minutes away from Cupertino, if i ever go to the Infinite Loop i'll try to get some inside pictures.
Wow! That would be great! If you do, just private message me or something, and I will totally add them to the existing tour!

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
Sep 30, 2005, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by billy_d_goat
No offense taken. I'm just curious what do you hate about them?
Whoa, I did not get that it was you who made it. In that case. I would have used kinder words, sorry…

What I don't like ist the small resolution and the non-fluid transfers between images. Never seen a different one until now.
( Last edited by andreas_g4; Oct 1, 2005 at 08:58 AM. Reason: Typo)

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
Sep 30, 2005, 08:29 PM

If I ever get to the Infinite Loop?

What?

billy_d_goat  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 30, 2005, 10:24 PM

Whoa, I did not get that is was you who made it. In that case. I would have used kinder words, sorry…

What I don't like ist the small resolution and the non-fluid transfers between images. Never seen a different one until now.
Thanks for the nice words andreas_g4. Sadly, I've found that many people immediately write off virtual tours as low res, slow, and crappy. Mapwing is an attempt at changing that. My hope is to make it so that anyone with a digital camera and a computer (preferably a Mac ) can build a nice virtual tour.

You can also use Mapwing Viewer to view the Apple tour in all its glory with OpenGL graphics and hi-res images.

ApplCmptrDood
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 1, 2005, 02:14 AM

"If I ever get to the Infinite Loop?

What?"

What do you mean. I've been there once but only to see if i could get a 20 Gig ipod at the employee store whcih i didn'tknwow as the employee store - i had to go to palo alto to get one. Let me clarify my post above. If i ever get to go to the Apple Campus and go inside the building (which would rock) i will give pics. I'm really busy with school though, so i'm not sure when i will get the time...
Apparently, I'm a sig violator. I feel honored. Oops.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 1, 2005, 02:42 PM

Nice job, thank you.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

goMac
Posting Junkie
Oct 1, 2005, 02:48 PM

You can't get in. The doors are locked from the inside and the outside, and you'd need an id card to get inside. The only way in is to get an Apple Employee to vouch for you, and even then, you're not getting in the offices probably.

The center of the campus is wide open. I've only been in that open area and inside Cafe Macs for lunch. Although you can pay a visit to the Apple Store on the Campus.

This isn't the only building where they do programming. All the buildings around main campus are owned by Apple and used by engineers.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 1, 2005, 02:55 PM

As a former Apple employee, security is tight at Infinite Loop. Even with an employee badge, there is very limited access, and you can't just wander anywhere. Your classification determines what access you have.

insha
Senior User
Oct 1, 2005, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by KarlG
As a former Apple employee, security is tight at Infinite Loop. Even with an employee badge, there is very limited access, and you can't just wander anywhere. Your classification determines what access you have.
Working at Apple ould be awesome. KarlG, what did you do at Apple?

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 1, 2005, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by insha
Working at Apple ould be awesome. KarlG, what did you do at Apple?
I was one of their Apple Solutions Consultants, a group of about 160 who works out of CompUSA, increasing Apple sales drastically from the chain.

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
Oct 2, 2005, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by billy_d_goat
Thanks for the nice words andreas_g4. Sadly, I've found that many people immediately write off virtual tours as low res, slow, and crappy. Mapwing is an attempt at changing that. My hope is to make it so that anyone with a digital camera and a computer (preferably a Mac ) can build a nice virtual tour.

You can also use Mapwing Viewer to view the Apple tour in all its glory with OpenGL graphics and hi-res images.
Currently, the Mapwing file links seem to be broken. I'd like to give it a try.

Oneota
Professional Poster
Oct 2, 2005, 12:22 PM

I got some pics when I was there for the WWDC beer bash, but unfortunately, it's really tough to take night shots with a consumer-level camera (Kodak DX6490, to be exact), so a lot of them didn't turn out that well.

The weird thing is that they let you take pictures pretty much everywhere at the bash except for inside the lobby of the main building. You can take pictures of the outside of the building, but as soon as you get in the door, you've got about 50 people telling you not to take pictures.

The Apple campus is a pretty sweet place to hang out, though. Last year they had the Wallflowers as the Beer Bash Band.
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Oct 2, 2005, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by Oneota
I got some pics when I was there for the WWDC beer bash, but unfortunately, it's really tough to take night shots with a consumer-level camera (Kodak DX6490, to be exact), so a lot of them didn't turn out that well.

The weird thing is that they let you take pictures pretty much everywhere at the bash except for inside the lobby of the main building. You can take pictures of the outside of the building, but as soon as you get in the door, you've got about 50 people telling you not to take pictures.

The Apple campus is a pretty sweet place to hang out, though. Last year they had the Wallflowers as the Beer Bash Band.
Don't you mean this year?

I was stuck in the mammoth line for the Campus Apple Store. Got a nice cheap iSight though.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

itistoday
Professional Poster
Oct 2, 2005, 01:52 PM

This reminded me a lot of Myst... Too bad you can't go into the actual Apple building/campus thing.

Oneota
Professional Poster
Oct 2, 2005, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by goMac
Don't you mean this year?

I was stuck in the mammoth line for the Campus Apple Store. Got a nice cheap iSight though.
Heh...yeah, I guess I'm already looking forward to the next one.

We drove there separate from the busses, so we got in to the campus store before the line formed. Boy, am I ever glad about that! I remember waiting in the line at WWDC '04 - that sucked.
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

billy_d_goat  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 2, 2005, 08:14 PM

Currently, the Mapwing file links seem to be broken. I'd like to give it a try.
Hmm, they seem to be fine for me. Are you sure you downloaded and installed Mapwing Viewer before clicking on them? It is a stand alone app with an installer.

Forum Links
Forum Rules