Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > iBook? PowerBook? MacBook Pro?

iBook? PowerBook? MacBook Pro?
mikochu
Forum Regular
Jan 27, 2006, 11:23 AM

Hey folks,

I recently bought a DC 2.3ghz Power Mac G5. I'm going to use it for video editing, graphics, web design, etc. As part as the deal I made with my mom, I have to relinquish my PC laptop (even though I paid for it) and give it to my sister. I'm sending her the laptop today, but I still kind of want a laptop for taking notes, "doing" the internet while in lecture, and the ocassional web design/Photoshop/Maya project. Looking at my funds, here is what I've been thinking:

12" Powerbook ($1000-1500)
15" Powerbook ($1400-1800)
12" iBook ($600-1200)
24" Dell LCD (@$1000) + bring notebook/Game Boy Micro to class
2x20" Dell LCDs (@1000) + bring notebook/Game Boy Micro to class

The reason I'm considering an iBook over a Powerbook is because of the price and the fact that I've been surviving on $500 Black Friday laptops for the past 3 years.

What do you guys think? Can you tell me the "real world" pros/cons of the iBook versus the PowerBook?

Thanks
Michael Reyes | www.mikochu.com | Power Mac G5 DC 2.3ghz, 2.5gb RAM, 320/250gb HD, Dual Sceptre 20" LCDs | MacBook Pro 2.0ghz, 2gb RAM, 80gb HD, 15.2" LCD, booq Vyper M2 sleeve, OGIO No Drag | iPhone 3G 16gb | iPod 60gb (5g), iPod2Car in the car | iPod 20gb (4g) in an iHome in the bathroom :)

jam8
Forum Regular
Jan 27, 2006, 04:26 PM

iBook is cheaper, longer battery life, slightly better wireless reception. Powerbook is faster, bigger harddrive, faster harddrive, bigger screen resolution on 15 and 17, capable of an extra 500 mb of ram, slightly better keyboard.

bourgeoisie
Jan 27, 2006, 04:57 PM

i would definitely suggest the ibook, maxing out the ram, since you have the g5 for processor intensive programs/projects
green links don't belong to me!

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Jan 27, 2006, 05:40 PM

Ye, the iBooks are such great value IMO. I bought a refurb 1.2 ghz 12"/30GB HD/256RAM. I upgraded the RAM to 512, and its fine. I take it to school and use it for web, iWork, and it is even surprisingly good at running virtual PC (win XP) so that I can access my Novell network at school. I too have a more powerful mac for an other work (iMac core duo), so the iBook is great for what I need it for.

OK, the intel iBook wont be far off, May at a guess, so if you can wait, I guess it'd be wise too, however, I still think you will be thrilled with the PPC iBook, as it seems, like me, speed is not the most important factor for this iBook, as you have a workhorse at home for that...
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

turbopants
Forum Regular
Jan 27, 2006, 07:46 PM

Yeah, you have a nice powerful desktop, and for your described portable needs, an iBook should be fine with maxed out ram.

Djliftinlive
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 27, 2006, 08:13 PM

Ya, go with the iBook.

If it's just for notes and the occasional project, yeh it's well worth it.

It's small and light enough to carry in the bag/backpack so it'll work perfect and pretty much has enough power to probably do what you want.
PowerBook G4 15", 1.5 GHZ, 2 Gg Ram, ATI Radeon 9700 64MB, Mac OSX 10.4.4

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 27, 2006, 09:42 PM

The PowerBook gives you a DVI port (instead of VGA), spanning support (instead of mirroring only), and a metal case (instead of polycarbonate). Any other differences are marginal at best. If you can wait an unknown period of time (less than 11 months) I'd wait for a "MacBook mini," otherwise go for the iBook today.

mikochu  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 27, 2006, 11:39 PM

Well, I _was_ going to order a 12" iBook from the Apple Outlet site, but they sold out (OMG!). I drove to my parents house for the weekend...maybe I'll stop by the Apple Store tomorrow

Update: I am now on my new 12" iBook.

One dead pixel *whimpers*...good thing it's in the lower left corner.
( Last edited by mikochu; Jan 28, 2006 at 05:47 PM. )
Michael Reyes | www.mikochu.com | Power Mac G5 DC 2.3ghz, 2.5gb RAM, 320/250gb HD, Dual Sceptre 20" LCDs | MacBook Pro 2.0ghz, 2gb RAM, 80gb HD, 15.2" LCD, booq Vyper M2 sleeve, OGIO No Drag | iPhone 3G 16gb | iPod 60gb (5g), iPod2Car in the car | iPod 20gb (4g) in an iHome in the bathroom :)

hamabear
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 30, 2006, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by mikochu
Well, I _was_ going to order a 12" iBook from the Apple Outlet site, but they sold out (OMG!). I drove to my parents house for the weekend...maybe I'll stop by the Apple Store tomorrow

Update: I am now on my new 12" iBook.

One dead pixel *whimpers*...good thing it's in the lower left corner.
hey i just got a new ibook 12" after going crazy deciding between the same list you mentioned. i was wondering how do you check for dead pixels? is it that noticeable? anyway good luck with your ibook let me know how it works out for you since we're going on the same trip!

mikochu  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 30, 2006, 08:31 PM

Well, after I bought it, I took the iBook to the Genius bar and plugged it into one of the AC adapters. I booted it up and checked for dead pixels on the blue screen. It may need a keen eye to check, but sometimes it's better not to even look... lol

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Jan 30, 2006, 08:45 PM

If you make your screen all blue, green, red, black, or white, stuck pixels or subpixels will stand out. There's a little utility that Apple makes to do this for you, but I can't figure out where to download it. You might want to search versiontracker or macupdate for "LCD test"

Berman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 6, 2006, 01:46 AM

i think you made the exact right decision. if you just need to do simple tasks on the go and have a nice mac at home already, the 12" ibook fits your bill exactly. i have a 20" imac g5 for at home and a g4 12" imac for traveling. the 12" is pretty damn light and small, and i've found it's a lot quicker than i thought it would be. i thought it would be a bit pokey but its not at all.

Forum Links
Forum Rules