Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Why do people never show their name in here?

Why do people never show their name in here?
BrandonCorbin
Forum Regular
Oct 3, 2004, 04:57 PM

I was just wondering, it seems that almost no one shows what their full name is. Most use funny, silly, or lame nick names. I know this has nothing to do with development, but it makes me wonder.

I would think that if you wanted to brand yourself as a killer developer, you would want that brand to be based on your real name that ends up on resumes or what have you. Or is it the same thing that makes instant messenger so powerful. The anonymity?

- SlappyPickleFig

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Oct 3, 2004, 06:00 PM

I'm not trying to brand myself as anything on here. I'm not a celebrity; I don't have image consultants and spin doctors and all that, and I don't imagine most other people on here do either. The fact is, Internet forums have grown up around the use of assumed (but presumably meaningful) names. I sometimes regret this fact, but as it is now, people who actually use their full names as handles on forums tend to look somewhat self-important to me.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 3, 2004, 07:30 PM

Originally posted by BrandonCorbin:
I would think that if you wanted to brand yourself as a killer developer,
Where exactly do you think you are? This isn't some kind of product show or career fair. Even among those who are here at macnn solely for the developer forum, they're here mostly to ask for assistance or advice, not to show off. Most of them anyway.

For some people, too, they don't want to subject themselves to the kind of inappropriate personal scrutiny and rudeness we've seen in the last few days

BrandonCorbin  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 3, 2004, 08:11 PM

Have I been officially black balled? I mean, I dont have a problem playing the Roudy Roddy Piper role. But could we at least make it official? So actually its a bad thing if people use their full names?

hayesk
Oct 3, 2004, 08:15 PM

I would think that if you wanted to brand yourself as a killer developer, you would want that brand to be based on your real name that ends up on resumes or what have you. Or is it the same thing that makes instant messenger so powerful. The anonymity?
This is a place to ask questions about Mac development, so it really doesn't matter what our names are. It isn't really a place for promoting skills or businesses. I really don't care what people think of me here. They can think of me as an expert, novice, or complete idiot. I couldn't care less. I come here to ask questions, answer questions, and read to gain knowledge - that's it.

As for promoting myself, I'll do that on my web site, and other places where I think it matters. Feel free to disagree.

SkullSlap
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 3, 2004, 08:26 PM

Im sure that people do not get business from here, so why would they want to put their name?

( Last edited by SkullSlap; Oct 3, 2004 at 08:40 PM. )

Theodour
Forum Regular
Oct 3, 2004, 11:54 PM

I was just wondering, it seems that almost no one shows what their full name is. Most use funny, silly, or lame nick names. I know this has nothing to do with development, but it makes me wonder.

- SlappyPickleFig
I always assume my real name is already taken, so I use something close.

I would love to brand myself as a killer developer ... but I'm really just a killer day-dreamer, who would love to know how to program worth a darn. I keep trying, but the only thing I can make anything worthwhile in is HTML and PHP ... someday (probably the same day pigs fly) I'll find the time to push further into some languages like C and Java ... both of which I've had in school ... C more than 10 years ago, Java just last year.

So, with no real intent to be anonymous, I usually try to provide feedback whenever possible ... not too often since most of the population of this thread seems to possess much more CS skill than I ... but on those rare occasions when I hear someone asking a question I can answer, it is fun to try to help.

It is hard for me to say too much here, though, because more often than not I'm met with rude even outright mean responses.

And that reason, I would guess, is why most people have funny, silly, or lame nick names. It is easier to throw sh!t when you are anonymous.

By the way ... awesome site. Keep rollin' with the change, man.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2004, 12:58 AM

Have I been officially black balled? I mean, I dont have a problem playing the Roudy Roddy Piper role. But could we at least make it official? So actually its a bad thing if people use their full names?

Wevah
Senior User
Oct 4, 2004, 07:43 AM

:)
[Wevah setPostCount:[Wevah postCount] + 1];

SkullSlap
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 4, 2004, 09:17 AM

Haha, I like the concept of the photo, but I would expect more originality than just doing a "drama queen" search on google images.

But the attempt is is wonderful! Keep up the good work!
------
I am amazed at how many, stupid smart
people there are in here.

BrandonCorbin  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 4, 2004, 09:20 AM

I like this one

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2004, 08:05 PM

Originally posted by SkullSlap:
I would expect more originality than just doing a "drama queen" search on google images.
humblest apologies. truth be told this was my first evar petty image internet retort, so please bear with me. so am I to understand that the proper technique is to go out and take your own picture and host it yourself?

BrandonCorbin  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 4, 2004, 10:02 PM

I think I look splendid in turquoises. God what I wouldn't give to be a 300 pound man thats so ugly he tries to be a women, and ends up being even more ****ing ugly.

parallax
Admin Emeritus
Oct 4, 2004, 11:44 PM

Brandon, may I suggest the Lounge for your ramblings. This forum is for things, you know, related to development.

"Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain" (Schiller)

Forum Links
Forum Rules