Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Quicktime 7 and screensaver

Quicktime 7 and screensaver
Titanium Man
Forum Regular
May 12, 2005, 10:23 PM

My only question about QT 7 is does it disable the screensaver? (By screensaver, I mean the Energy Saver option to turn off the display after a user specified interval, not those useless apps that keep displays running and wasting energy.) That's always ticked me off about Quicktime Pro. There I am watching a video in fullscreen and the display suddenly blacks out. VLC is smart enough to deactivate the blanking option so why can't QT do it? If only VLC decoded AC3 soundtracks properly, I'd use that exclusively. But with its recent EU troubles, the Core Audio module will probably never be fixed.

Alternatively, can anyone suggest a program that can keep the screen running? I don't want to have to change my Energy Saver preferences every time I want to watch a TV episode I downloaded.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
May 12, 2005, 10:36 PM

QuickTime 6 and earlier prevented the screen saver and Energy Saver from engaging, but QuickTime 7 seems not to.

tooki

Titanium Man  (op)
Forum Regular
May 12, 2005, 11:05 PM

I've never seen Quicktime stop Energy Saver. I know for a fact my current 6.5.2 doesn't and I'm certain neither 6 nor any of the 5's did.

threestain
Mac Elite
Sep 28, 2005, 07:30 PM

Is there any option to enable this blanking out, or is it all down to vlc now?

Forum Links
Forum Rules