Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > QuickTime Pro suddenly unlocked?

QuickTime Pro suddenly unlocked?
OogaBooga
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 21, 2005, 10:45 AM

Wow. I think either I found a really nifty bug or today is my lucky day.

This morning I was updating the videos on my website, and when I opened the first one and clicked the File menu, all the Pro options were there, available for use. Since the movie file was actually an exported movie from iMovie, I thought maybe Apple gave you the Pro options for movies you created.

So I download the "Tom Cruise Kills Oprah" video. Low and Behold™, I have all the Pro options for that too.

I never bought QuickTime Pro, never did anything with QuickTime, and all of a sudden I can rearrange movies, open image sequences, save image sequences, etc.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Jacke
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 21, 2005, 11:47 AM

Open your Quicktime preferences and see if you have anything under 'Registration'.

OogaBooga  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 21, 2005, 04:21 PM

WOW. You guys won't believe this:

I checked my credit card balance and everything - not charged anywhere.

Thanks Apple!

EDIT: Ok, I think I know what the deal is. A friend's machine died, and I let him borrow my PowerBook for a week. He needed it to finish a project he had for a client. I still have my PowerMac so I didn't care.

When I got it back, it seemed as though he had installed Final Cut Studio on it, because I found traces of Compressor and such. It also seems that QuickTime Pro automatically got registered and stayed that way.

...Bummer... I thought I found a very interesting bug, but it seems to be perfectly explainable. I'm not exactly sure of any way to Unregister it, so I guess it'll stay until the next time I do a reformat.

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 21, 2005, 05:08 PM

At least we all know that QuickTime doesn't magically upgrade itself to Pro...or at least it didn't in your case. Say thanks to your friend.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 21, 2005, 11:43 PM

Titanium Man
Forum Regular
Jul 22, 2005, 12:01 AM

My first guess was it had something to do with Final Cut Pro. That your friend borrowed it should have been a clue that it happened while it was out of your possession.

OogaBooga  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 22, 2005, 12:27 AM

I didn't really use QuickTime until today, a week after I got my PB back.

Forum Links
Forum Rules