Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > How to clear Safari location autofill?

How to clear Safari location autofill?
Titanium Man
Forum Regular
Jul 25, 2005, 12:34 PM

Weird. My previous try at posting this had an empty message.

Does anyone know what file is involved in this? I'm talking about when Safari automatically brings up a list of URLs as you type in the location. It's pretty annoying that my list includes sites I haven't visited in years. They just clutter up the autofill list and make it harder for me to get to the ones I really want to use. I got rid of just about every file I could find with the Safari name on it a few months ago, except for bookmarks, but that didn't eliminate the old URLs. I've peeked at history.plist and com.apple.safari.plist. Spotlight isn't picking up any of the URLs I see. Any ideas?

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Jul 25, 2005, 02:01 PM

the locations autofill is based on both your browsing history and the bookmarks you have saved. there really isn't any way to get rid of it.

-r.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Jul 25, 2005, 02:01 PM

outside of the bookmarks you've saved...clear your history.
that's about it..
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

Titanium Man  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 25, 2005, 05:00 PM

I found it. Reading through the files with TextWrangler, I found it's in bookmarks.plist.
( Last edited by Titanium Man; Jul 29, 2005 at 11:40 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules