Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > USB Overdrive X Settings Not Working

USB Overdrive X Settings Not Working
vja4him
Jul 23, 2005, 12:09 AM

I just installed USB Overdrive X on my G4 iBook, and the settings are not working. I set the scroll wheel and up/down buttons for faster, but there was no change. I restarted the computer, but still no change. I changed the settings to the fast possible setting, but still no change at all.

Am I missing something?
*MacPro 2.93GHz-Snow Leopard 10.6.4-8GB RAM*

Titanium Man
Forum Regular
Jul 25, 2005, 12:39 PM

Does your mouse show up in USB Overdrive as a handled device? Can you be more specific about your settings? It's possible you changed the settings for "Clicked wheel up" and "Clicked wheel down," which are not the same as "Wheel up" and "Wheel down."

vja4him  (op)
Jul 25, 2005, 07:09 PM

My mouse does show up as a "Handled Devices." I did not change any of the buttons. I changed the Speed to 80 dpi (fastest), and the Acceleration to 200%. The mouse is still the same speed as before I changed the settings. I was reading somewhere that there is an issue with USB Overdrive X and OS X 10.3.9. I have OS X 10.3.9 on my iBook, so perhaps that is the problem?

I'm not ready to upgrade to Tiger yet. I've been reading about so many people having trouble with Tiger. Even in August issue of MacAddict it mentions problems with Tiger. So I guess that I'll just have to put up with my Logitech MX510 mouse until there is a fix for the bug.

Oh yes, I added 16 applications to the window at the left of the USB Overdrive X control panel. That covers most of the applications that I use frequently.

vja4him  (op)
Jul 25, 2005, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by vja4him
My mouse does show up as a "Handled Devices." I did not change any of the buttons. I changed the Speed to 80 dpi (fastest), and the Acceleration to 200%. The mouse is still the same speed as before I changed the settings. I was reading somewhere that there is an issue with USB Overdrive X and OS X 10.3.9. I have OS X 10.3.9 on my iBook, so perhaps that is the problem?

I'm not ready to upgrade to Tiger yet. I've been reading about so many people having trouble with Tiger. Even in August issue of MacAddict it mentions problems with Tiger. So I guess that I'll just have to put up with my Logitech MX510 mouse until there is a fix for the bug.

Oh yes, I added 16 applications to the window at the left of the USB Overdrive X control panel. That covers most of the applications that I use frequently.
I just found another control panel for the Logitech MX510 mouse in the System Preferences. It's called "Logitech Control Center." So, there are two different control panels for my MX510 mouse. I made some adjustments in the Logitech Control Center, and they are working, although much more limited than what the USB Overdrive control panel offers.

Titanium Man
Forum Regular
Jul 25, 2005, 10:59 PM

There's your problem. Logitech's mice are supposed to be run with Logitech's software. USB Overdrive can replace the mouse driver in OS X, but it can't override other USB software. There's no fixing it. You have to pick one and uninstall the other. USB Overdrive is more versatile and customizable, but I'm not sure it supports all the buttons on an MX510.

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 25, 2005, 11:17 PM

And you have to uninstall every scrap of Logitech's installation in order for USB Overdrive to work. Same goes if you have any Microsoft Intellimouse software installed.

Titanium Man
Forum Regular
Jul 26, 2005, 02:11 PM

This is why I don't buy Logitech products anymore. I hate their inferior drivers and the fact that the extra buttons on their mice probably won't work with any other software. If Logitech decides not to support an older mouse on a new OS release, you're screwed.

Forum Links
Forum Rules