Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > New Ultra thin notebook from Samsung provides thoughts for new PB?

New Ultra thin notebook from Samsung provides thoughts for new PB?
Autumn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 30, 2005, 09:32 AM

http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000047056572/

Samsung is dropping a new ultra-thin laptop on us in its Sense X1, a notebook only 23mm thick (billed as “thumb width”) and weighing in at about 3.5 pounds. It’s doing a 14-inch WSXGA screen, 128MB ATI X300 graphics card, 512MB DDR2 RAM, 80GB hard drive, and powered by a Pentium M753 1.2 GHz chip. It’s also got a waterproof keyboard that slips down to the front edge of the notebook in what Samsung calls the “SuperRelax” mode. The machine has been built with an eye towards multimedia, and packs in some impressive acronyms for graphics and sound in the DNIe (Digital Natural Image engine) and DNSe (Digital Natural Sound engine), so we’ll have to keep an eye out for a review that will translate marketing speak to reality. Last but certainly not least, the X1 is promising 13.5 hours of battery life which sounds like a friggin’ miracle, and we’re hoping something didn’t just get lost in the translation from German.

Man, 13.5 hours of battery life on PB would be a killer!
My first Mac:

15.2-inch Titanium G4 @ 1Ghz
1GB Ram
40 GB
64MB Video Ram

iPod Nano 4GB Black

kmarketing
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 30, 2005, 09:38 AM

Am I wrong or does this not have a built in optical drive? If it doesn't then I just don't see it being too popular. But being so thin is definitely cool, and that battery life!!

Autumn  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 30, 2005, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by kmarketing
Am I wrong or does this not have a built in optical drive? If it doesn't then I just don't see it being too popular. But being so thin is definitely cool, and that battery life!!
I think the drive is right side above the keyboard.
My first Mac:

15.2-inch Titanium G4 @ 1Ghz
1GB Ram
40 GB
64MB Video Ram

iPod Nano 4GB Black

madmanXwater
Aug 30, 2005, 11:00 AM

I may be wrong, but I think they previewed this machine on "Call for Help", the show on G4TechTV. It looked very nice. Sony has a new 3 pound thin 1.2Mhz machine as well that's supposed to get 8-9 hours of life. I guess it all depends what you need out of your laptop. A 1.2Ghz Pentium M is not very fast, I've used them. It's interesting to me that "all the rage" in laptops these days are slower machines than we've had in the past. I'd like to see better battery/energy technology rather than slower CPUs, but that's just me. I just purchased an HP zd8225ca that has a 3.2Ghz P4 HT, 800Mhz bus, 1 gig DDR2 533 Ram, 100G Drive, 128 ATI X600 graphics and 17" 1440x900 display. It ony get's about an hour and twenty minutes of battery life but it's faster than any laptop I've tried and even faster than my G5. I use it more as a "portable" than a laptop so battery life isn't that important to me, speed, screen size and did I mention speed are what I wanted. I have a 17" PowerBook 1.33 but this zd8225ca just kills it. I would like to see Apple not only come out with small, thin, sexy laptops, but a major powerhouse with everything but the kitchen sink might be a great idea for people like me. I would carry a 2" thick machine if it ment true desktop power, I guess I am doing that with the HP, lol.

Mike
Canada
(Like Apple & WinTel!)
( Last edited by madmanXwater; Aug 30, 2005 at 04:55 PM. )

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Aug 31, 2005, 10:45 PM

I`d just be happy with a 13in Widescreen Powerbook. Or a nice speed bump. Or even a better battery.

Plus have you seen the super bright and shinny screens on the Sony laptops? Thouse would be nice to have.

asb819
Aug 31, 2005, 10:54 PM

Looks pretty cool. I wonder if the keyboard being so close to the edge would be an issue at all...? Here are some more pics I found -- as Autumn said, the optical drive is right above the keyboard. Pics

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 1, 2005, 10:04 PM

The last link lists only 4 hour battery life.

And the keyboard is a blast to the past -- Apple put the keyboard where it is now to allow for palm wrests and the trackpad and similar devices.

But the rest seems very nice -- the PC makers are finally 'thinking Apple'.

sonicularulus
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 1, 2005, 10:30 PM

i dont like the keyboard/cd drive layout....

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 1, 2005, 10:34 PM

23mm is nice, but Apple's 17" Powerbook is just 26 mm thick. The 15" is 28mm and the 12" is 30mm.

Chris

__^^__
Forum Regular
Sep 1, 2005, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by Autumn
I think the drive is right side above the keyboard.
A laptop with no slot loading drive?? How long is that door going to last?

Titanium Man
Forum Regular
Sep 2, 2005, 10:27 AM

I can count the times I've used the optical drive in my 12" G4 while on the go on one hand. It's just not a deal-breaker for that intended market, which is people who travel quite a bit and don't need everything and the kitchen sink with them on the road.

Forum Links
Forum Rules