Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Looks like the HD-DVD/Blu-Ray war is over

Looks like the HD-DVD/Blu-Ray war is over (Page 3)
goMac
Posting Junkie
Oct 23, 2005, 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by moonmonkey
The way I understand it, HP has asked for some of the features (primarily managed copies) to be added to the Blu-Ray specs.

I get the feeling Microsoft/Intel has something to do with this request.

Whoever is whispering into the ear of HP, its good new for us.
Well, they've asked for managed copy and iHD, which strangely enough, are the only different features HD-DVD has over Bluray. So basically Bluray would become HD-DVD on a Bluray disc.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 23, 2005, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by Scandalous Ion Cannon
Says the guy in the PSP thread 24/7.

At any rate those of use with HDTV's (not you) and who want the most space the moment the format comes out so we can have the highest quality video and audio available without it having to span on multiple disks. That's who.
PSP = console. NOT FORMAT. big difference

As for HD consumers....do you want HD Video or do you want Gigabytes ? from what ive read so far on both formats, both will have the capasity needed for a full length HD movie. It's a media format. thats it. a means to an end. An end which is content delivery in HD, it SHOULDNT matter so much that you guys argue about it so much. I admit i argued as well about it, but seriously, who cares ?

If HD-DVD wins, are you actually not going to buy HD content on it ? or viceversa for ppl in the other camp ? Chill....it dosent matter.

Cheers

PS>> I know im not an HD consumer yet, but i highly doubt arguing about this every chance you get will ensure your format of choice will win (That go for for everyone who'sobsessed with supporting their chosen camp)

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 23, 2005, 09:42 AM

i've watched some HD satalite on a HD TV in a store, I couldn't see anything different from a DVD.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

Scandalous Ion Cannon
Mac Elite
Oct 23, 2005, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Athens
i've watched some HD satalite on a HD TV in a store, I couldn't see anything different from a DVD.

You legally blind? Look at these bad digital camera shots I took last night of BSG.
HD is double the quality of DVD's.

http://www.bitflydesign.com/misc/bsg_sidebyside.jpg
"That's okay, I'd like to keep it on manual control for a while."

Titanium Man
Forum Regular
Oct 23, 2005, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by goMac
Well, they've asked for managed copy and iHD, which strangely enough, are the only different features HD-DVD has over Bluray. So basically Bluray would become HD-DVD on a Bluray disc.
OMG, you really don't have a clue, do you? If "HD-DVD format" files (assuming such things existed, which they don't) were all put on Blu-ray discs, then how is poor, old Toshiba going to recoup its investment in developing HD-DVD if it can't sell HD-DVD drives, media and content? You are effectively arguing for the extinction of HD-DVD.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Oct 23, 2005, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by Titanium Man
OMG, you really don't have a clue, do you? If "HD-DVD format" files (assuming such things existed, which they don't) were all put on Blu-ray discs, then how is poor, old Toshiba going to recoup its investment in developing HD-DVD if it can't sell HD-DVD drives, media and content? You are effectively arguing for the extinction of HD-DVD.
I'm arguing for whatever format has managed copy. If Bluray gets it I have no problem with Bluray.
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Scandalous Ion Cannon
Mac Elite
Oct 23, 2005, 03:53 PM

GoMac, you don't have a high-def TV, you don't plan on getting one, you don't care about HD. So why not just skip the format altogether along with this topic.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Oct 23, 2005, 04:32 PM

GoMac, you don't have a high-def TV, you don't plan on getting one, you don't care about HD. So why not just skip the format altogether along with this topic.
Huh?

Managed copy has nothing to do with HD at all.

Titanium Man
Forum Regular
Oct 23, 2005, 04:37 PM

I'm arguing for whatever format has managed copy. If Bluray gets it I have no problem with Bluray.
Wow. Fickle, aren't we? Not so long ago in this very thread, you were spending every message trying to knock Blu-ray down and build HD-DVD up. "HD-DVD has much wider support." (Despite the fact that the Blu-ray Disc Association boasts nearly three times as many member companies as HD-DVD Promotion Group, including all of the largest computer makers.) "Intel chips will only decode HD-DVD." (Ignoring that both ATI and nVidia support Blu-ray. BTW, guess who makes the graphics chips in Macs and Powerbooks?) "Everyone will release movies on HD-DVD." (Never mind that at least three major studios have no such intentions.) Now all of a sudden, you have no problem with Blu-ray.

Scandalous Ion Cannon
Mac Elite
Oct 23, 2005, 04:41 PM

Huh?

Managed copy has nothing to do with HD at all.

The whole point of Blu-ray is for HD. Your data disks will not have managed copy.

You are arguing for something you will not even buy.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Oct 23, 2005, 04:44 PM

Wow. Fickle, aren't we? Not so long ago in this very thread, you were spending every message trying to knock Blu-ray down and build HD-DVD up. "HD-DVD has much wider support." (Despite the fact that the Blu-ray Disc Association boasts nearly three times as many member companies as HD-DVD Promotion Group, including all of the largest computer makers.) "Intel chips will only decode HD-DVD." (Ignoring that both ATI and nVidia support Blu-ray. BTW, guess who makes the graphics chips in Macs and Powerbooks?) "Everyone will release movies on HD-DVD." (Never mind that at least three major studios have no such intentions.) Now all of a sudden, you have no problem with Blu-ray.
You're missing the point. Microsoft has said the reason they are supporting HD-DVD is managed copy. If Bluray supports managed copy, they'll support Bluray too.

Scandalous Ion Cannon
Mac Elite
Oct 23, 2005, 04:48 PM

You're missing the point. Microsoft has said the reason they are supporting HD-DVD is managed copy. If Bluray supports managed copy, they'll support Bluray too.
Well thank god for that. Again, with no interest in HD YOU WON"T EVEN BUY ONE!

Apple is putting Blu-Ray in it's computers in the future, so it looks like you'll have to tear it out and get whatever it is you want.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Oct 23, 2005, 04:54 PM

Apple is putting Blu-Ray in it's computers in the future, so it looks like you'll have to tear it out and get whatever it is you want.
NOW you've figured out where HD-DVD matters to me! : applause : If you haven't figured it out yet. managed copy is a computer only technology and doesn't have anything to do with HD TV's.

Like I said, if Bluray gets managed copy it's fine by me.

All this shows is that Sony can put their name on a crippled format and you'll blindly follow it. If HP is successful in getting Sony to uncripple Bluray I won't care who wins the HD-DVD war.

Scandalous Ion Cannon
Mac Elite
Oct 23, 2005, 05:01 PM

NOW you've figured out where HD-DVD matters to me! : applause : If you haven't figured it out yet. managed copy is a computer only technology and doesn't have anything to do with HD TV's.

Like I said, if Bluray gets managed copy it's fine by me.

All this shows is that Sony can put their name on a crippled format and you'll blindly follow it. If HP is successful in getting Sony to uncripple Bluray I won't care who wins the HD-DVD war.
Crippled format

I am not a sony-fanboy. I like blu-ray because it has the most storage and I have no damn interest in copying 50 gig movies to a hard drive.

I am a HD supporter, I have the equipment and experience for 6 years. You have NOTHING.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Oct 23, 2005, 07:10 PM

Crippled format

I am not a sony-fanboy. I like blu-ray because it has the most storage and I have no damn interest in copying 50 gig movies to a hard drive.

I am a HD supporter, I have the equipment and experience for 6 years. You have NOTHING.
Huh? Crippled as in... features? Crippled as in.... movie companies locking it down so consumers have no rights?

Scandalous Ion Cannon
Mac Elite
Oct 23, 2005, 07:23 PM

Alright gomac. You are arguing and arguing the same crap over and over. We get it, if you can copy 50 gig movies to your hard drive you like either format. Neat, I am sure Sony is thrilled to hear that.

But you keep ignoring the fact that you have no HD equipment, interest in getting any or experience to speak of.

The end.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Oct 23, 2005, 07:26 PM

But you keep ignoring the fact that you have no HD equipment, interest in getting any or experience to speak of.
You're trying this again? You already did a good job answering this yourself.

"Apple is putting Blu-Ray in it's computers in the future, so it looks like you'll have to tear it out and get whatever it is you want."

There you go! If you notice, managed copy has nothing to do with an HD TV. Rather, it has everything to do with how your computer handles DVD's.

Scandalous Ion Cannon
Mac Elite
Oct 23, 2005, 07:40 PM

Bla bla bla

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Oct 23, 2005, 08:52 PM

On a good HDTV, a good quality HD signal is instantly obvious, and DVD isn't even in the same league. eg. CSI, HD movies, HD sports, etc. IOW, a weekly episode of CSI has MUCH better image quality than the absolute best DVD I've ever seen. No comparison.

However, a lot of HD channels play SD content for much of the day, and some of their so-called HD content isn't very good at all.

You legally blind? Look at these bad digital camera shots I took last night of BSG.
HD is double the quality of DVD's.

http://www.bitflydesign.com/misc/bsg_sidebyside.jpg
As I said in the BSG thread, it's not exactly a fair comparison. The BSG DVDs suck.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 23, 2005, 11:36 PM

Simplified:

Look at each product(hardware + software(codecs et al)). Is there any difference auther than capasity ? forget cost, support, etc. just the product.

In my opinion NO.

With application to HD. both 'claim' to be able to store enough for full feature length movies in HD resolution. So why are you girls still arguing ?!?!!? Seriously you guys make it seem so friggon dramatic.

If HD-DVD wins, great. if Bluray wins, great.....we still get a huge storage boost from whichever angle you look at it. Why you gotta be so pationate about supporting one camp or the other is beyond me, i doubt there's anything either of you gain personally from either winning, so why argue and argue and argue ? Youve both stated your opinion, and with all due respect, neither one of you has the power to gaze into the future, so can we just wait and see, which one will "win" in the end ?

If HD-DVD wins, what do you loose SWB ? if Blu Ray wins , what do you loose gomac ? nothing, so just chilllllll....

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Oct 24, 2005, 12:22 AM

Actually, while I think Blu-Ray definitely has the upper hand now, I can definitely see where gomac is coming from. Blu-Ray's popularity with the movie companies is in large part due to its draconian DRM measures, which will make the concept of home media centres (either from MS's Windows Media Center Edition or from Apple's Front Row) much harder to implement.

If HD-DVD wins, we lose some storage capacity.

If Blu-Ray wins, we lose flexibility.

However, as I have said before, regardless of who wins, we've all already lost something. This war is going to be messy for some time, and all it will do is simply prolong the time before HD media becomes mainstream.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Oct 24, 2005, 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a
Why you gotta be so pationate about supporting one camp or the other is beyond me, i doubt there's anything either of you gain personally from either winning.
There is actually. HD-DVD supports importing movies into your computer. Bluray does not.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 24, 2005, 02:16 AM

There is actually. HD-DVD supports importing movies into your computer. Bluray does not.
Dosent matter, ways to import BluRay movies will be out around the same time the movies are out, its a pointless arguement.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Oct 24, 2005, 02:18 AM

Dosent matter, ways to import BluRay movies will be out around the same time the movies are out, its a pointless arguement.
You're missing the point completely. HD-DVD would allow say.... iTunes to rip HD-DVD's. This would be considered illegal under Bluray.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 24, 2005, 02:33 AM

You're missing the point completely. HD-DVD would allow say.... iTunes to rip HD-DVD's. This would be considered illegal under Bluray.
im not missing the point at all, because under both formats you will be able to rip the movies off, just one will be easier to start with. And reguardless of the technology the copyright movies hold makes it illegal to rip/copy anyways be it if HD allows it to be easier, or not. You are still bound by the copyright of the movie to uphold its copyright agreement.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Oct 24, 2005, 02:45 AM

And reguardless of the technology the copyright movies hold makes it illegal to rip/copy anyways be it if HD allows it to be easier, or not. You are still bound by the copyright of the movie to uphold its copyright agreement.
Nope, as part of the HD-DVD design it has to be legal. It's a supported part of the format. Movie companies must support copying, which is why we see many movie companies shying away from supporting it.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 24, 2005, 03:09 AM

Nope, as part of the HD-DVD design it has to be legal. It's a supported part of the format. Movie companies must support copying, which is why we see many movie companies shying away from supporting it.
No it dose not mean it has to be legal, the copyright holder of the content on the disc can make it part of there copyright agreement or not.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 24, 2005, 04:07 AM

I think your problem is with copyrite, not with the Blue ray/HD-DVD "issue"(drama queens ).

Movie disc, 2 parts:
-disc, decoders, the hardware. The software, codecs and DRM.
-content. Movies, music, etc.

The prior is technology based, just because it allows for more stringent or lenient rights for consumers, dosent make it the law.
The latter, governed primarily by movie studios, are protected by the same copyrite laws as is the content on CDs and DVD(i think). If you want fair-use rights with either format, you gotta take it up with these folks(studios). they determine what DRM and fair-use rights will be finally implemented on the media. Just because the technology dosent allow for strict copy protection(HD-DVD), dosent mean it's legal to rip the content. If you want comething like Fairplay style DRM, Blu-ray or the HD-DVD groups will have to negioate the deal....and guess what, since their competing, they will be kissing upto the studios to back their format and so dont have much bargaining power for negioating any better fair use rights than what we have on DVDs. In fact, looks like it's gone in the opposite direction, since so many studios support blu-ray possibly because of it's copy protection measures.

But seriously, dont worry, some dude from Scandanavia will probably crack it witin a couple of a weeks lol.

Cheers
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Oct 24, 2005 at 04:14 AM. )

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Oct 24, 2005, 12:06 PM

But seriously, dont worry, some dude from Scandanavia will probably crack it witin a couple of a weeks lol.
I'm not convinced of that. It took a very long time before DVD was cracked, and then even longer for usable DVD software to become available and even longer for it to become relatively mainstream.

I'm sure Blu-Ray will be cracked, but I suspect the evolution of this process will be similar to DVD.

Oh well, whatever.

CIA
Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2005, 06:52 PM

---->WAR
Work: 2008 8x3.2 MacPro, 8800GT, 16GB ram, zillions of HDs. (video editing)
Home: 2008 24" 2.8 iMac, 2TB Int, 4GB ram.
Road: 2009 13" 2.26 Macbook Pro, 8GB ram & 640GB WD blue internal
Retired to BOINC only: My trusty never-gonna-die 12" iBook G4 1.25

Titanium Man
Forum Regular
Oct 24, 2005, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by Eug Wanker
I'm not convinced of that. It took a very long time before DVD was cracked
DVDs came onto the market in 1997. DeCSS appeared in 1999. I wouldn't call that "very long," considering it was an all-new technology that wasn't that widely adopted in '99.
( Last edited by Titanium Man; Oct 24, 2005 at 08:30 PM. )

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 25, 2005, 05:10 AM

there are a lot more hackers and hacker groups now then back then. Just look at Windows XP, its anti piracy system was cracked before it was even on store shelves and MS put in a lot of effort in that. Fact is it takes groups weeks not months to crack anything these days.

Scandalous Ion Cannon
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2005, 01:50 PM

HD will have some really nasty and stupid copy protection:

http://www.newscientist.com/article....ine-news_rss20

goMac
Posting Junkie
Nov 2, 2005, 02:03 PM

HD will have some really nasty and stupid copy protection:

http://www.newscientist.com/article....ine-news_rss20
Huh? This is anti-sharing. Not anti-copying. The only thing this does it prevent your from recording a movie shown in a cinema to HD-DVD. This says nothing about copying HD-DVD movies.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Nov 2, 2005, 02:23 PM

DVDs came onto the market in 1997. DeCSS appeared in 1999. I wouldn't call that "very long," considering it was an all-new technology that wasn't that widely adopted in '99.
Well, I guess that really just our differing perspective then. To me, in computer tech terms, 2 years is a pretty long time.

Scandalous Ion Cannon
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2005, 02:41 PM

Well, I guess that really just our differing perspective then. To me, in computer tech terms, 2 years is a pretty long time.
Ya but that was back in the olden days. Now I think it would be a matter of months.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Nov 2, 2005, 04:54 PM

Ya but that was back in the olden days. Now I think it would be a matter of months.
I don't really see the average user getting something like DeCSS. Users are sheep. They'll stay in the format specifications.

HD-DVD is trying to change how consumers use movies. Blu-ray isn't really innovating.

Aiglos
Forum Regular
Nov 4, 2005, 11:15 AM

Managed copy, who really needs it?

The only reason Microsoft is supporting HD-DVD is because of mandatory managed copy. Because the Xbox 360 can not play HD movies off the console, it has to stream its data from a Windows media centre. Hence the need for managed copy.

Other than people with the media center, who really cares about managed copy. Hands up for the people who own WMC?

I certainly won't need the redundancy of copying an HD movie on a hard drive. Assuming HD moviesw take about 25 GB (conservative estimate), that's a lot of space on my powerbook that it's consuming.

For me, managed copy is just the HDDVD camp saving face among the consumers, personaly, I'd rather have the massive storage capacity of Blu ray for my computing needs.

Scandalous Ion Cannon
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2005, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by Aiglos
Managed copy, who really needs it?

The only reason Microsoft is supporting HD-DVD is because of mandatory managed copy. Because the Xbox 360 can not play HD movies off the console, it has to stream its data from a Windows media centre. Hence the need for managed copy.

Other than people with the media center, who really cares about managed copy. Hands up for the people who own WMC?

I certainly won't need the redundancy of copying an HD movie on a hard drive. Assuming HD moviesw take about 25 GB (conservative estimate), that's a lot of space on my powerbook that it's consuming.

For me, managed copy is just the HDDVD camp saving face among the consumers, personaly, I'd rather have the massive storage capacity of Blu ray for my computing needs.

Exactly. Bill is just making it sound like the most important thing in the world because he is worried about Windows Media Centre.

Next to nobody else will want to copy a 50 GIG movie to their computer. Waste of space.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Nov 4, 2005, 12:42 PM

I dunno... there is a small company with a fruit as it's logo that is in the business of making media centers these days...

Aiglos
Forum Regular
Nov 4, 2005, 01:25 PM

I dunno... there is a small company with a fruit as it's logo that is in the business of making media centers these days...
From what Apple is doing, they'd be more interested for users to play the HD movie off their installed Blu-Ray drives. Why add the redundantn step of ripping the HD film to your hard only to play it. Knowing Apple they'll include a Blu-ray drive standard!

A mac mini with Bluray drive, that's all you need, no need to stream from another device!

Scandalous Ion Cannon
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2005, 01:53 PM

From what Apple is doing, they'd be more interested for users to play the HD movie off their installed Blu-Ray drives. Why add the redundantn step of ripping the HD film to your hard only to play it. Knowing Apple they'll include a Blu-ray drive standard!

A mac mini with Bluray drive, that's all you need, no need to stream from another device!

Ya, Apple is supporting Blu-ray. they don't want you to copy files yourself. Notice they don't even use RIP, MIX, BURN anymore. Now it is iPod/Music Store.

If anything Apple wants you to watch Blu-ray and download movies from the movie store for use on your iPod.

They will never market... Blu-ray, rip 50 gigs, watch.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Nov 4, 2005, 01:53 PM

The whole point of a media centre is to have the media centrally.

BTW, Apple already supports HD-DVD. AFAIK DVD Studio Pro and DVD Player.app are technically compatible with HD-DVD discs, even though the hardware isn't available. (Right now they can only deal with HD content on standard DVD media, but as soon as the drives are available, the support should be there for HD content on HD-DVD discs too.

Scandalous Ion Cannon
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2005, 02:03 PM

The whole point of a media centre is to have the media centrally.
... and Apple to sell it to you one way or another.

How many 50 gig movies could you fit even on modern hard drives, nevermind for a reasonable price.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Nov 4, 2005, 02:10 PM

... and Apple to sell it to you one way or another.

How many 50 gig movies could you fit even on modern hard drives, nevermind for a reasonable price.
Not that I'll likely be doing the HD media centre thing myself any time soon, but it's likely that most H.264 or VC-1 HD movies will be around 10-12 GB. ie. A single US$215 400 GB drive today will hold about 35-40 HD movies.
( Last edited by Eug Wanker; Nov 4, 2005 at 02:17 PM. )

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 4, 2005, 02:40 PM

Not that I'll likely be doing the HD media centre thing myself any time soon, but it's likely that most H.264 or VC-1 HD movies will be around 10-12 GB. ie. A single US$215 400 GB drive today will hold about 35-40 HD movies.

Ummmm im just going to chime in here....

The codec thats going to be used are H.264 and VC-1 on the discs themselves. If your going to "rip" the content onto your computer, using the same codecs and retaining the HD resolution, i dont think you can expect to see that kind of compression ratio, unless of course you drop the bitrate drastically.

Another question would be....who on earth would in their right mind want to rip HD content(into HD) for use on an iPod ? (at least now. im sure 5-6 years it'll probably be the norm). the bandwidth required for streaming HD content, i think (not sure) is not yet available (WiFi, FireWire400/800 or even USB 2.0).

As far as a media center, i think an iPod(5g)+BR/HD-DVD player will suffice for the next 2-3 years. For me, a standard DVD playeer and a iPod(5g) will suffice for a couple of years.

I agree with SWB that Apple will take ther iPod/movie store approach. And leave the blu-ray/HDDVD discs un-ripable(is this even a word).

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Nov 4, 2005, 02:53 PM

The codec thats going to be used are H.264 and VC-1 on the discs themselves. If your going to "rip" the content onto your computer, using the same codecs and retaining the HD resolution, i dont think you can expect to see that kind of compression ratio, unless of course you drop the bitrate drastically.
Ripping ≠ transcoding. If it's 10.27 GB on the disc, after ripping it would be 10.27 GB on the hard drive. In fact, I don't think the DRM method would allow transcoding. Not that your average joe would necessarily want to do it anyway, because it would take a very long time.

Another question would be....who on earth would in their right mind want to rip HD content(into HD) for use on an iPod ? (at least now. im sure 5-6 years it'll probably be the norm). the bandwidth required for streaming HD content, i think (not sure) is not yet available (WiFi, FireWire400/800 or even USB 2.0).
I didn't say anything about ripping HD video for an iPod.

BTW, the bitrate for HD way lower than you think it is. Think 12 Mbps for H.264. (Nobody would be stupid enough to develop a streaming method for this purpose based on uncompressed video.) 12 Mbps is very easy for Firewire, USB 2 and Ethernet. It can be done via 802.11g wireless, but that's pushing it. However, it will be easy by next year with wireless, using 802.11n. All you need is a decoder at the other end.
( Last edited by Eug Wanker; Nov 4, 2005 at 03:05 PM. )

Scandalous Ion Cannon
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2005, 03:06 PM

Well lets see in a year. My guess is Apple has ZERO intrest in moving HD-DVD/Blu-RAY's to your hard drive or iPod and would much rather sell you lower quality ones through the Apple Store.

GoMac thinks copying HD-DVDs/blu-ray to your hard drive is the most important thing in the world.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Nov 4, 2005, 03:39 PM

Huh? This doesn't make any sense.

By your argument iTunes should have never existed. Apple should have just made people play music off their CD's instead of ripping them.

Something like say.... an AirPort Express Video would never be able to sustain the rates needed to move that much data around off an optical drive. Not to mention it would be sooooo clunky.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Nov 4, 2005, 03:40 PM

Well lets see in a year. My guess is Apple has ZERO intrest in moving HD-DVD/Blu-RAY's to your hard drive or iPod and would much rather sell you lower quality ones through the Apple Store.

GoMac thinks copying HD-DVDs/blu-ray to your hard drive is the most important thing in the world.
I'm not talking about having movies on your iPod. I'm talking about having them all available to you by your remote in Front Row.

What good is Front Row if you have to go to your computer to change out the movie? Doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose of having this whole remote/AirPort Express Video system?

Forum Links
Forum Rules