Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Security Update 2006-002

Security Update 2006-002 (Page 2)
kcmac
Mac Elite
Mar 16, 2006, 09:14 PM

Doesn't show up in my software update

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 16, 2006, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by kcmac
Doesn't show up in my software update
Same here.

Hal Itosis
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 17, 2006, 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by Person Man
It's the same update as before, it just fixes a few bugs in the original update. That's why the number is still 002.
What bugs?

(I don't care about the exact version number...
something changed, _that's_ the point).
-HI-

JKT
Professional Poster
Mar 17, 2006, 08:46 AM

They included the patches from update 001 in 002 v1.1. As far as I can tell that is all that has changed (presumably they wanted to make sure that everyone got the critical patches from both updates rather than have some people only install 002, or maybe 002 didn't work if 001 was missing?).

I'm guessing that if you already installed 001 and 002 v1.0, you don't need v1.1 and that is why it doesn't show up in Software Update?

Edit: Here's the Apple Support article on it.

Douglashh
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 17, 2006, 12:23 PM

It would certainly be nice if Apple explained why this Security Update doesn't appear in Software Update whereas in the past all Security Updates did. I've even posted this question to the Apple Forums and haven't received much in the way of satisfactory answers there either.

Give us a break Apple this isn't a national security secret.

Doug

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 17, 2006, 12:56 PM

Yeah, Apple has really disappointed me in how they have rolled this information out...or lack thereof.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Mar 17, 2006, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by Douglashh
It would certainly be nice if Apple explained why this Security Update doesn't appear in Software Update whereas in the past all Security Updates did. I've even posted this question to the Apple Forums and haven't received much in the way of satisfactory answers there either.

Give us a break Apple this isn't a national security secret.

Doug
Apparently it corrects a problem with the way the original (v1.0) 2006-002 patch was packaged. If you already have v1.0 successfully installed, then you don't need v1.1

If this had any new security fixes, it would have been called 2006-003. It's not. THERE ARE NO NEW FIXES!

tweedledum
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 17, 2006, 04:55 PM

a quick check in Pacifist shows "/private/var/db/dyld/update-prebinding-paths.txt" to be newer.
no idea what that file's for. some prebinding voodoo i guess.
cheers,
phil

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Mar 17, 2006, 10:18 PM

That file contains the ever-shrinking list of files that still get updated when you update the prebinding.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 17, 2006, 11:16 PM

Apparently it corrects a problem with the way the original (v1.0) 2006-002 patch was packaged. If you already have v1.0 successfully installed, then you don't need v1.1

If this had any new security fixes, it would have been called 2006-003. It's not. THERE ARE NO NEW FIXES!
Actually, it appears the v1.1 update fixes a Safari issue for some users...

http://www.macworld.com/news/2006/03...fari/index.php

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 18, 2006, 12:02 AM

This is very sad, that Apple again and again and again and again relies on paths to for updates. This used to worked perfectly in classic Mac OS. Now we are in the sixth year of OS X and the problem is still not under control. :-(

alphasubzero949
Mac Elite
Mar 19, 2006, 01:11 AM

This is really weird. I wiped my HD to make it dual boot between Tiger and Ubuntu Dapper Drake. Now the POC will not work. 10.3.9 is a definite yes.

Seems that on 10.4.5 this is largely hit and miss. No one seems to know why, but /Library/Preferences is still marked root:admin 0775.

Hal Itosis
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 19, 2006, 09:04 PM

THERE ARE NO NEW FIXES!
I don't think -- up to that point in time -- anyone ever said there were new fixes.
Again, the point was that Apple doesn't usually release things in a flurry/hurry...
so the exact nature of that update was the real issue. (Not "what didn't it contain")

And by shouting "THERE ARE NO NEW FIXES!" from the rooftop, what is your meaning?
-is it your contention that "everything" is "fixed", and we have no worries whatsoever?
-or do you believe there are still inherent weaknesses in the LaunchServices structure?
-HI-

Person Man
Professional Poster
Mar 20, 2006, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by Hal Itosis
And by shouting "THERE ARE NO NEW FIXES!" from the rooftop, what is your meaning?
No, there were several people calling this a "third update." I saw lots of stories saying, "Apple released a third security update in a short period of time." More Apple misinformation and FUD. No, Apple did not release a third update, they fixed an existing update.

Forum Links
Forum Rules