Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Weird trackpad on MBP C2D?

Weird trackpad on MBP C2D?
danengel
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 20, 2006, 07:21 PM

Just got my new 15" MacBook Pro, 2.33 GHz Core 2 Duo.

I don't like the trackpad:

- The acceleration between slow and fast is too steep. When moving the finger slowly, the cursor is very slow, but when moving the finger more quickly, the cursor accelerates too quickly.

- The cursor sometimes jumps around a little as if it reacted to a finger close to the trackpad.

Anybody else experiencing this?

The trackpad of my old Rev. A iBook was better.
( Last edited by danengel; Nov 20, 2006 at 08:02 PM. Reason: Added good old iBook.)

Oneota
Professional Poster
Nov 20, 2006, 07:39 PM

Yeah, my MBP 2.33 C2D just arrived today, and I've noticed essentially the same thing.

While using the two-finger scrolling, I'm noticing a lot of jumpiness. The trackpad tends to react as though I were wiggling my fingers up and down. Kinda irritating. Hopefully my fingers are just too dry or something and I'll eventually build up a layer of skin oil to help matters.
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

PeteC
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 25, 2007, 01:55 AM

I'm having this exact issue. My Powerbook G4 with iScroll 2 was infinitely better. I just bought my machine yesterday, and I'm wondering if I should try and take it back or if this is how all MacBook trackpads are. Can anyone help me?

entrox
Senior User
Jan 25, 2007, 10:21 AM

Chiming in to say that I'm experiencing the same thing on my brand new 17" C2D MBP. Sometimes it's scrolling even though I only have one finger on the touchpad. Looks to me like shitty trackpads are this revisions black spot

Black_Rain
Jan 25, 2007, 11:18 AM

i noticed this when I first got the machine, but i have gotten used to it...

i tried to replicate my problem with it before, but when i try to make it a problem again, i dont even notice it...

i think you guys should get used to it...i know i did... and u definately get used to the scroll... coming from a person with almost no experience in laptop scroll pads, i thought scroll attitude would be an issue...but its proven me wrong and i got used to it quite quickly

bloodline
Forum Regular
Jan 25, 2007, 11:21 AM

I think I had a similar issue... I just turned off "ignore accidental trackpad inputs" and it works fine now...
2.8 Ghz Unibody MacBook Pro 15" - 4GB Ram - Logic Pro 8.0
2.33 Ghz C2D MacBook Pro 15" - 3GB Ram - Logic Pro 7.2
1.5 Ghz G4 PowerBook 12" - 1.25GB Ram

PeteC
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 25, 2007, 11:51 AM

I've turned off the accidental inputs option to no avail. Like you said Rain, it's obviously not a huge issue and one that you can get used to, but at the same time there's no arguing that it's inferior to the Powerbook' trackpad that I upgraded from. This issue is compounded by the fact that my down-arrow key doesn't work all that well. I hate to be a nit-picker, but Apple hardware has generally had such good quality for me that I've come to expect it. It is comforting to hear that it's not a defective unit and that you do get used to it, however. Thanks for the replies everyone.

bloodline
Forum Regular
Jan 25, 2007, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by PeteC View Post
I've turned off the accidental inputs option to no avail. Like you said Rain, it's obviously not a huge issue and one that you can get used to, but at the same time there's no arguing that it's inferior to the Powerbook' trackpad that I upgraded from. This issue is compounded by the fact that my down-arrow key doesn't work all that well. I hate to be a nit-picker, but Apple hardware has generally had such good quality for me that I've come to expect it. It is comforting to hear that it's not a defective unit and that you do get used to it, however. Thanks for the replies everyone.
That really isn't right, if you are within 14 days take it back!
2.8 Ghz Unibody MacBook Pro 15" - 4GB Ram - Logic Pro 8.0
2.33 Ghz C2D MacBook Pro 15" - 3GB Ram - Logic Pro 7.2
1.5 Ghz G4 PowerBook 12" - 1.25GB Ram

Forum Links
Forum Rules