Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > More Not Bad

More Not Bad (Page 2)
subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 21, 2021, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
Ah. I believe they are rice flour based. I don't have the bag anymore to check. They were not-quite-as-crisp-as-a-dorito crispy.
Oh, good! Rice chips are under-represented.

In the snacks from near that region category, I’ve found these things that are Cheeto puffs, but instead of cheese it’s peanut butter.

Not bad. I’m surprised they’re not a thing here.
( Last edited by subego; Jul 21, 2021 at 04:46 PM. )

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 6, 2022, 12:40 AM

Not found at a gas station, but by far the best thing I’ve ever had that’s nominally in the Slim-Jim category. Red Bear Provisions is the company. They’re in a suburb of Chicago, so you may be forced to come here.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 30, 2022, 05:12 PM

My body is not yet ready, but I shall report back

Thorzdad
Aug 30, 2022, 05:18 PM

Ranch is what eternity in hell tases like.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 30, 2022, 05:34 PM

But at least it’s the cool circle of hell.

andi*pandi
Aug 30, 2022, 06:08 PM

why not just buy doritos?

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 30, 2022, 06:26 PM

Both products are on the bad end of the quality curve, but potato chips have a smaller standard deviation.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 30, 2022, 06:41 PM

It’s been years since I’ve tried them, but 7-11 had a not bad Cool Ranch Doritos knockoff. The chip was better and they had more powder.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Aug 31, 2022, 11:13 AM

I tried Lay's Kettle-Cooked Fritos chili-cheese flavor.

I didn't quite realize what I was buying at the time, but I ended up enjoying them. Paired well with a Coors Light and a lake.

andi*pandi
Aug 31, 2022, 11:26 AM

Everything tastes better by a lake. Or the ocean.

reader50
Administrator
Aug 31, 2022, 04:56 PM

I got a few bags of Ruffles chilli-cheese and thought they were great. Went looking for more - apparently they're discontinued. It seems I ran across them while stock was being cleared.

That Kettle-Cooked Lays looks interesting. Though I've yet to see that one around here.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 31, 2022, 05:08 PM

We have those here, but I never bothered because of ready access to Zapp’s Voodoo.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 1, 2022, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post

My body is not yet ready, but I shall report back
After all that buildup, it’s a “meh”.

Potato and grease flavor overwhelm the minimal Cool Ranch dust.
( Last edited by subego; Sep 1, 2022 at 04:30 PM. )

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 6, 2023, 07:45 PM

Zapp’s Voodoo Pretzels: Generously flavor dusted. Otherwise, it’s a pretzel. The bag is sized for an elephant.

Utz Ripples Fried Dill Pickle: Actually very good. Touch too greasy.

Palo Movie Theatre Butter: Got it at Kroger, so it might be available. You know how flavored popcorn, whether the flavor is good or bad, doesn’t have enough flavor? This doesn’t have that problem. Not great, but not bad.

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 6, 2023, 08:25 PM

My son has been jonesing for “All Dressed” chips. He used to be able to get them in some stores here in San Antonio, but since the world went to poo, supply chain issues and such meant that they went away.

Oh, you can order them from Amazon, but a few bags of chips (however wonderful) for $35US just doesn't seem right.

So I’m hoping to somehow find these unicorn snacks and fill everyone in on what I think about them. Wish me luck.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 6, 2023, 08:31 PM

Kroger used to have Roundy’s All Dressed, which was fantastic, but then phased out a lot of Roundy’s.

Zapp’s Voodoo actually has kind of a similar flavor.

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 7, 2023, 03:20 PM

I’ll pass the Zapp’s thing on to my son.

This “Canadian snack” thing can’t be very old. I grew up close enough to get CBC TV from Windsor, and CKLW rock and roll radio, so if it was a thing back then, I sure would have been aware of it.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 7, 2023, 04:38 PM

Kroger in a nutshell.

As an aside, their “K” looks like Nessie, poised to drag all the good products to the bottom of a lake in Scotland.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 8, 2023, 09:18 AM

All Dressed chips is definitely one of my favs.

Y’all have Miss Vickie’s chips down there? Sea Salt & Malt Vinegar is just incredible with a shandy. I also love love Sweet & Spicy Ketchup but my gut doesn’t get along with them for some reason.
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 8, 2023, 09:21 AM

I’ve seen them mostly in sandwich shops.

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 8, 2023, 06:11 PM

Miss Vickies chips are quite good. I too have only seen them in sandwich shops, primarily Subway. Their Salt and Vinegar variety is really awesome.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 8, 2023, 06:42 PM

Jersey Mike’s has them too, which BTW is a not bad sub place. They don’t slice the meat until you order, which is unusual for a chain.

I’d even say it’s better than Potbelly’s, which makes me feel like a traitor because the original, pre-franchise one is a few blocks from where I used to live and there were stretches in the 90s I had lunch there every day.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jan 9, 2023, 10:01 AM

Jersey Mike’s has them too, which BTW is a not bad sub place. They don’t slice the meat until you order, which is unusual for a chain.
I had heard it was supposed to be good, so I checked it out for lunch one day. I don't know what it was, some lack of sauce or less-than-ideal combo of toppings, but a total of two bites of the sandwich were "good." The rest of the bites felt like it was mostly dry bread with some meat and cheese on it. $13 out the door for a "regular" size and a (sub-par) cookie is...yikes.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 9, 2023, 11:53 AM

I’ve never had a dry issue if “easy on the mayo” and dressing are included, though I started asking for extra dressing because I like it.

I have had an issue where the lettuce deflects the dressing and it drips down the side, but it still ends up as part of the sammich because it’s prepared on the wrapping. Messy, but not dry.

Agreed the cookies suck.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jan 9, 2023, 12:24 PM

*Flame suit on*

I can get a 6" from Subway loaded with toppings and veggies, plus a three pack of actually good cookies for under $8.

When Subway stopped offering sugar cookies I actually had to go out and find a copycat recipe because I like them so much.

Jimmy John's cookies are horrible, too.

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 9, 2023, 07:45 PM

I like Jimmy John’s Chocolate Chunk cookies. They need to be heated up, and/or dunked in coffee, but they’re good, at least to me and my family.

I started eating at Jimmy John’s while in grad school. I liked their take on making sandwiches, and the food was both good and affordable. I still like their stuff, but it’s sometimes shop-dependent. The cookies and their in-house chips are always the same, but how the staff puts the sandwich together can be off at times. So I stick to one or two shops that do it right, and I stay happy.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 11, 2023, 08:50 AM

It’s been awhile since I’ve had either Jersey Mike’s or Subway tbh, but my recollection is it’s not just the extra length, but bigger circumference, and they’re more generous with the ingredients.

The decor is less dismal, too.

Does that completely negate the price difference? No, but saying there’s only an inch difference is a bit reductive.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jan 11, 2023, 09:42 AM

It’s been awhile since I’ve had either Jersey Mike’s or Subway tbh, but my recollection is it’s not just the extra length, but bigger circumference, and they’re more generous with the ingredients.

The decor is less dismal, too.

Does that completely negate the price difference? No, but saying there’s only an inch difference is a bit reductive.
Who said there's an inch difference? At Subway for $13 I'm eating like a king.

No argument with the decor, especially since the one I usually go to is in a rougher part of town and has been "remodeling" for like two years now. Still not quite as wild as the one I went to in Detroit with inch-thick glass between me and the sandwich artist.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 11, 2023, 12:32 PM

Ignore the length comment, then.

Going off GrubHub prices for roast beef, in my region a 6” subway is $10, and a regular JM is $13. If we were to compensate for the difference in size and that the primary ingredients are cut to order, I’m not seeing a huge difference in value.

andi*pandi
Jan 11, 2023, 05:23 PM

Support your local sub shop. Boars head deli meats.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 11, 2023, 05:33 PM

Personally I could give a shit about $3 here or there.

The only question is, what’s the better sandwich? And I have to be honest (and full disclosure, former Artist here)……I’m not aware that the answer is ever Subway
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 11, 2023, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
Support your local sub shop. Boars head deli meats.
I don’t really have a nearby local sub option I’m aware of, but there is a Jewish deli where pastrami goes to heaven when it dies.

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 11, 2023, 11:42 PM

There used to be a small chain around here (I can’t remember the name), that sliced your meat in front of you, had fresh and tasty veggies for the sandwiches, had great bread, wonderful chips (and other things), and was typically located close (but not too close) to big employers or, in the case of when I visited them, close to my grad school. Man, I miss that sort of shop.

Thorzdad
Jan 12, 2023, 10:01 AM

Word on the street is, if you have a spare $10 billion or so in your pocket, you might be able to buy Subway.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jan 12, 2023, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
Personally I could give a shit about $3 here or there.

The only question is, what’s the better sandwich? And I have to be honest (and full disclosure, former Artist here)……I’m not aware that the answer is ever Subway
That's kind of where this all started for me...maybe I need to try Jersey Mike's more than once, but I was wholly underwhelmed, and the cheapass in me DOES give it a shit about the $3.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 12, 2023, 10:43 AM

What’s your default sammy load-out?

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jan 12, 2023, 12:01 PM

Spicy italian on wheat, pepper jack, toasted, spinach, tomatoes, olives, pickles, banana peppers, little mayo. It's one of the cheapest sandwiches, loaded with toppings to fill it out and get some green in my life.

6" if I'm feeling some restraint, 12" if I'm ready to hate myself.

99% of the time I bring my own lunch to work but during the couple weeks of busy-ness each year I'll run out to get lunch as a quick escape.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 12, 2023, 06:59 PM

With the Jersey Mike’s, did you get oil and vinegar? If not, I’m almost positive that’s why it was dry.

If you have the stones, the calorie per dollar king is Chipotle. The trick is to ask for both types of rice and beans, but one at a time. Dump every salsa on it too.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 13, 2023, 06:27 PM

Went salami, gherkins, and butter on a baguette. That’s sort of a sub, right?

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jan 17, 2023, 08:02 AM

Not from subway but this is my favourite:

Grilled halloumi, basil pesto, grilled portobello mushrooms and rocket.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Thorzdad
Jan 17, 2023, 11:49 AM

We use Subway as our go-to lunch stop when traveling. There’s always one at seemingly every off-ramp on the interstates. My sammy of choice there is always the veggie on whole-grain flatbread, with mozzarella and chipotle mayo. I tell them to “drag it through the garden” and put all the veggies on it. You can always tell the experienced workers. They’re the ones who know just how much they can stuff on the flatbread and still be able to roll it closed. The noobs almost always pile it high and then struggle to roll it up, making a mess everywhere. Which, honestly, is ok with me, too. Lots more to eat!

Thorzdad
Jun 18, 2023, 01:41 PM

Trader Joe’s Snacky Clusters

A new item at your local TJ’s. Milk-chocolate-dipped clusters of crushed corn chips, potato chips, and pretzels. So, basically, the answer to the question “What do we do with all the broken bits at the factory?”

Overall, not bad. I don’t think they got the balance between the crunchy bits and the chocolate quite right. My preference would be a bit more chocolate. Oddly, I don’t think the crunchy bits are adequately salty to cut-through the chocolate, either. That said, TJ’s snacks tend not to be very salty anyway.

FWIW, these would be child’s play to DIY at home.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 18, 2023, 02:09 PM

Something I’ve noticed about TJ. For all of its granola California feel, the place is packed with the unhealthiest shit.

reader50
Administrator
Jun 18, 2023, 03:56 PM

I figured out a simple food rule when I was a kid. The better something is for you, the worse it tastes. Green veggies taste like horse feed, for example.

The converse may be true as well. The better things taste, the worse they are for you.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 18, 2023, 04:03 PM

I’ve found that generally holds. A good steak is a key exception.

Thorzdad
Jun 18, 2023, 10:36 PM

I dunno. I can eat green veggies all day. Love the stuff. Can’t abide steak.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 18, 2023, 11:49 PM

What are your meat go-tos?

I find most green vegetables to be bitter. Hate broccoli with a passion. Any of the ones I like I only like as a vehicle for something (e.g., celery and peanut butter).

Gregg
Mac Elite
Jun 19, 2023, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
I figured out a simple food rule when I was a kid. The better something is for you, the worse it tastes. Green veggies taste like horse feed, for example.
Me: This must be good for me.
wife: Yes, it is.
Me: Yeah, I could tell.
wife: snicker
Ya gotta applaud those bunnies for sacrificing their hearing just so some guy in Yonkers can have better TV reception.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jun 19, 2023, 09:11 AM

I’ve found that generally holds. A good steak is a key exception.
Is steak good for you? I thought most people recommend cutting out red meat.

What are your meat go-tos?

I find most green vegetables to be bitter. Hate broccoli with a passion. Any of the ones I like I only like as a vehicle for something (e.g., celery and peanut butter).
Maybe you're a Super Taster

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 19, 2023, 11:36 AM

I think my dad is. It’s possible I have a lesser version. I do in fact hate every veggie-like cruciferous vegetable, but I like mustard/horseradish/wasabi, which my dad can’t stand.

I’m not sure I buy into the idea a straight filet is particularly bad. On the other hand, I do sort of buy into the idea the best diet varies from individual to individual, and I’m one of the people who should be eating red meat.

Forum Links
Forum Rules