Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > TV Serieseseseses

TV Serieseseseses (Page 11)
subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 27, 2022, 02:07 PM

So, the baddies have self-sealing space suits, but these schmucks can’t tie-in to life support?

Riiiiiiight.

I’m dying on this hill BTW.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 28, 2022, 08:22 PM

Now I’m curious how much the lack of convection would affect barrel cooling on a rotary space cannon. Add to that if it’s been in the sun it could already be at, I dunno… say 100°C.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jul 28, 2022, 09:07 PM

Sounds like it's very sun-dependent.

https://space.stackexchange.com/ques...l-space-statio.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 28, 2022, 09:48 PM

Oh, yeah. I mean, it could also already be at -200°C, but we have to assume worst case scenarios.

You could theoretically shield the cannon from the sun as much as possible, but the most effective passive solutions I can think of would have an unacceptable impact on the radar signature.

As an aside, FWIU space bullets can achieve ridiculous velocities because there’s no air resistance to melt the shit.

MacNNFamous
Senior User
Jul 29, 2022, 09:56 AM

Barrels would be liquid cooled, which has been done tons of times on weapons w high ROF

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 29, 2022, 02:09 PM

That was my original thought, and I was all ready to bitch about more bad science for precisely that reason, but…

1) I assume the fluid freezing is bad.

2) That leaves only cryo-fluids.

3) In use, I imagine a cryo-fluid would boil off very fast.

4) That either needs to be vented, which means running out is a problem, or some form of elaborate reclaiming-cooling system for the gas is needed.

Not impossible, but more complicated than it seems I think.

reader50
Administrator
Jul 29, 2022, 02:31 PM

We don't know enough about the guns here. The cartridges (or are they caseless?) might include a coolant charge with each shot. Or the guns may use recirculating gas cooling. Xenon gas in particular is quite dense (for a gas) so should provide reasonable cooling. It could even be done as a closed-circuit refrigerant system. Supply a liquid, it returns as a gas, and gets compressed & chilled back to a liquid.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 29, 2022, 03:05 PM

I’m getting into that idea with #4, but it wouldn’t be a rotary design. Way too difficult (in my estimation) to get a linkage between the cooling system and multiple, spinning barrels.

Coolant in the round is a good idea.

Probably not caseless under the assumption they’d rather have hyper-velocity rounds, which would make the engineering issues with caseless that much worse. Said problems being fragility and cooking-off. Edit: they may not want HV rounds though. I guess it would be whatever is best for stopping a missile, which won’t necessarily be well armored. Round should also probably be explosive, too. Maybe good, old-fashioned depleted uranium will make a comeback.

Edit: a related question is whether we’d still use tracers or just have a computer calculate the ballistics. Seems easy to do if there’s no gravity or air resistance.
( Last edited by subego; Jul 29, 2022 at 03:50 PM. )

MacNNFamous
Senior User
Jul 30, 2022, 12:09 PM

Why would you assume the fluid would freeze?

The prius sucks the coolant into a vacuum thermos when you turn the car off, to keep the coolant warm for your next start. Could do something similar, the guns deploy and you pump them full of prewarmed fluid, fire the gun and pump fluid to maintain temps, then suck fluid out when storing the guns again.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 30, 2022, 03:55 PM

That could work.

andi*pandi
Aug 4, 2022, 03:06 PM

The Son. Hulu. Pierce Brosnan playing a Texan with a history, during the rise of the Oil Rush. There's brutal violence on all sides: White guys, Mexicans, Natives. Interesting takes on culture, honor, and all that. Seems to be intended to only last 2 seasons as the ending is quite final.

Very compelling.

dav
Mac Elite
Aug 25, 2022, 08:31 AM

Love. Netflix. Gillian Jacobs & Paul Rust. Romantic comedy, some dark humor, quirky and endearing.

American Vandal. Netflix. Satire of true crime shows (Cold Justice, Dateline, etc.).
one post closer to five stars

Brien
Professional Poster
Aug 25, 2022, 07:10 PM

House of the Dragon? Thoughts?

OreoCookie
Aug 25, 2022, 10:07 PM

I like The Sandman on Netflix.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Aug 26, 2022, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by Brien View Post
House of the Dragon? Thoughts?
Someone at work yesterday had the GoT theme song as their ringtone. Two thoughts:
1. It's wild that people still don't use silent mode
2. I thought the last season killed of the fanbase entirely

Thorzdad
Aug 26, 2022, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
I like The Sandman on Netflix.
I’m more-or-less enjoying it. I could have done without the episode in the diner, though. A bit too gory for my fragile tastes. The following episode with Death was brilliant, though.

Really enjoying She-Hulk over on D+. Tatiana Maslany is great, and the show doesn’t take itself too seriously. Lots of “4th wall” asides.

andi*pandi
Aug 26, 2022, 12:09 PM

We are enjoying sandman.

I am one who watched GOT and was burned so won't be watching house of the dragon.

Looking forward to SheHulk.

I enjoyed Obiwan, but felt it didn't have as much going for it as Mandalorian. Like the stories could have been deeper. There was a book series with obiwan and the jedi hiding after the massacre that was very well done and I had hopes there would be more of that.

OreoCookie
Aug 28, 2022, 04:18 AM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
I’m more-or-less enjoying it. I could have done without the episode in the diner, though. A bit too gory for my fragile tastes. The following episode with Death was brilliant, though.
Some of the episodes were a bit weird completely distinct in style from the others — but in a good way. It doesn’t mean you’ll like each of them the same, but it keeps the show unpredictable.

What’s really nice is that at least in the beginning I didn’t really root for Dream as the hero, it seems clear he is more of a neutral character. And the pace of most episodes is quite mellow.

Thorzdad
Aug 28, 2022, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
Some of the episodes were a bit weird completely distinct in style from the others — but in a good way. It doesn’t mean you’ll like each of them the same, but it keeps the show unpredictable.
As I understand it, each episode is adapted from different books in the comic book series, accounting for the variation in tone and character in the tv episodes.

andi*pandi
Aug 28, 2022, 03:43 PM

The diner episode was very cringe. Not just the gore but also the mind games. Did not care for the John character at all.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Aug 29, 2022, 09:31 AM

Really enjoying She-Hulk over on D+. Tatiana Maslany is great, and the show doesn’t take itself too seriously. Lots of “4th wall” asides.
We watched the first two episodes last night, it's fun. The 4yo liked her muscles and pretty hair.

Thorzdad
Sep 23, 2022, 07:32 PM

Andor. Ugh. I managed to get one-and-a-half episodes in and simply couldn’t find a reason to continue. There just wasn’t anything or anyone I could give a damn about. I’m sure SW nerds and completists are spooing in their pants over some sub-sub-incidental characters or whatnot, but, I’m simply a casual SW fan and this is just lost on me.

andi*pandi
Sep 26, 2022, 02:36 PM

Haven't watched yet, but heard that it was the best thing since rogue 1, especially since it wasn't bogged down by older canon or fanservice. (obiwan)

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Nov 7, 2022, 02:48 PM

Still processing the She-Hulk finale. They went in a...different...direction.

Cancelled Netflix after they bumped to $17/mo. Finished Ted Lasso S2 and was thinking about starting the Maya Rudolph show but when Apple announced the hike to $7/mo I cancelled that as well. Also I set my Prime not to auto-renew so that expired last month. Total of like $35/month saved and we're not missing anything since we still have D+/Hulu through Verizon. There are a couple of comedy specials on Netflix I'm interested in watching, but we'll just wait until the last season of Stranger Things drops and we'll catch up on everything then.

I am thinking about YouTube+ to ditch the ads, I don't need political candidates yelling at my kids about abortion, rape, and incest when I'm just trying to watch a Mark Rober video, but that should cool down after tomorrow.

andi*pandi
Nov 7, 2022, 04:15 PM

before you cancel Hulu, check out Over the Garden Wall. PG enough for younger kids, with a quirky fatalistic attitude and great music that appeals to my teen, enough that her halloween costume was based on it.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Nov 7, 2022, 05:15 PM

Our Verizon plan includes D+/Hulu/ESPN so there's no reason to cancel. I'll have to check it out.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 8, 2022, 10:16 PM

Anyone else watching the new Interview With The Vampire? Its good.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 29, 2022, 12:46 PM

Watching 1899. I’m enjoying it. Kinda Lost meets Titanic, though I haven’t seen either.

Against my will, we’re watching the dub. Do not do this.

andi*pandi
Nov 29, 2022, 01:06 PM

It does look interesting.

I started watching Manifest. Which seems a bit like Lost/Langoliers. Good characters but a little too much emotional mishmash (but we thought you were DEAD!) and not enough intrigue by episode 4. There's 4 seasons. Worth sticking with it?

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 29, 2022, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
It does look interesting.
We’ve got three more episodes. I’ll report back once I’m done and tell you if it’s worth it.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Nov 30, 2022, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
We’ve got three more episodes. I’ll report back once I’m done and tell you if it’s worth it.
Oh It's worth it. Do NOT watch the dubbed version, the languages are very much part of it all. Awaiting series 2 with anticipation.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Nov 30, 2022, 04:13 PM

Ghosts US
The best US adaption of a UK sitcom since, well I was going to say The Office but I never actually liked the US Office. Anyway, predictably snooty reviews from a couple of UK papers ("it's ok but not as nuanced or rich as the UK Ghosts" - hint Ghosts UK is neither nuanced or rich its just very funny) but watched it anyway. Superb. Loved the characters including the new US ghosts. 18 episodes in season 1, currently all we get on BBC iPlayer, but season 2 is well under way in the US and I hear you like it so season 3 seems a cert.

Can't wait to see which ghost gets sucked off next.

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 1, 2022, 01:25 AM

Originally Posted by Doc HM View Post
Oh It's worth it. Do NOT watch the dubbed version, the languages are very much part of it all.
Yeah. I’m irritated about missing that part.

Further, the English speaking characters aren’t dubbed. Even discounting the effect of dubbing in the first place, the constant switching really blows.

Thorzdad
Dec 1, 2022, 07:58 AM

I’ve been hate-watching The Peripheral on Prime. I say “hate watching” because the show, while quite good, seriously departed from events in the book to where it really isn’t the same story. But, if you never read the book, you’ll probably find it a good watch.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Dec 1, 2022, 04:58 PM

I’ve been hate-watching The Peripheral on Prime. I say “hate watching” because the show, while quite good, seriously departed from events in the book to where it really isn’t the same story. But, if you never read the book, you’ll probably find it a good watch.
I guess I am hate watching Foundation on Apple TV+ then? Grrrrrrrrr

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 1, 2022, 10:09 PM

I hope y’all are watching White Lotus season 2…..
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

andi*pandi
Dec 2, 2022, 11:21 AM

I am not... yet?

We just started watching Wednesday, on Netflix. Delightful, with shades of Wicked, and perhaps a touch more humanity to my Addamses than I usually like (teen Wednesday has typical backtalk with her mother) but fun.

Dead to me: well done, I gave it a second shot, liked it better the second time... but after stopping watching I have very little curiosity to watch more.

Thorzdad
Dec 2, 2022, 04:38 PM

Started watching Wednesday, too, and really like it so far.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 2, 2022, 06:24 PM

Cunk on Earth.

Mock documentary on the history of civilisation by "Philomena Cunk".

Holy shit, it's hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0ThWWS9AIg

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Dec 3, 2022, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
Dead to me: well done, I gave it a second shot, liked it better the second time... but after stopping watching I have very little curiosity to watch more.
Dead to Me < Dead Like Me

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 11, 2022, 06:12 PM

Once I learned there was going to be another season of 1899 I felt obligated to tell my dad. We both thought it was supposed to be a complete piece as is.

He’s suddenly not bringing it up as an option anymore.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jan 14, 2023, 12:40 PM

Started Wednesday. The writing is the weak link. Worldbuilding and character development are nearly nonexistent so far. The dialogue can be clunky, and Wednesday struggles with it at times, though she has undeniable screen presence.

It’s pretty.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 14, 2023, 08:09 PM

Yep, I concur. The premise is neat, the world looks cool, but after two or three episodes…we just stopped.

Watching Lost in Space instead. Occasionally cringeworthy, super predictable and utterly cliché, but seen as a remake of 50’s sci-fi entertainment, prettied up for the 2020’s, it works.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2023, 12:07 AM

Goddamn I hope everyone watched White Lotus, forget Wednesday…..it’s a teen drama

subego
Clinically Insane
Jan 15, 2023, 12:42 AM

That’s on the list for me and my dad, but I’m a little worried it’s too cringe (I have extremely low cringe tolerance). I’m pushing for Altered Carbon.

Wednesday I was curious what they’d do. Teen dramas can be good. I liked Buffy.
( Last edited by subego; Jan 15, 2023 at 01:05 AM. )

reader50
Administrator
Jan 15, 2023, 01:16 AM

I liked both Wednesday and Altered Carbon. Very different shows of course.

Have you considered the (movie) series Happy Death Day ?
(2017) Happy Death Day
(2019) Happy Death Day 2U
(future) Happy Death Day to Us

subego
Clinically Insane
Jan 15, 2023, 02:23 AM

Wednesday certainly isn’t without merit. Like I said, it's pretty. Enough to carry it through some of the weaker moments. The cast is generally excellent. The dialogue and worldbuilding have issues, but the story isn’t half bad so far.

andi*pandi
Jan 15, 2023, 09:49 PM

We enjoyed Wednesday immensely, but then target audience...

A few years ago we had enjoyed the new Lost in Space, and Locke and Key. Haven't got back into them again though.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 16, 2023, 12:21 AM

First season of Locke & Key was pretty interesting and creative. Second season went sideways and I lost interest, anecdotally I’ve heard S3 was also mediocre.

I didn’t enjoy the first few episodes of Altered Carbon and dropped it. Reviews I’ve seen aren’t terrible.

Happy Valley season 3 is pretty decent so far. Happy Valley fan here. I also watched the first two seasons of a British spy show called Slow Horses and it was solid albeit typically understated.

OreoCookie
Jan 16, 2023, 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
I didn’t enjoy the first few episodes of Altered Carbon and dropped it. Reviews I’ve seen aren’t terrible.
I really love Altered Carbon, but it takes a while to get into it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules