Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > TV Serieseseseses

TV Serieseseseses (Page 3)
akent35
Banned
Jul 2, 2014, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
P l e a s e, put spoiler tags around stuff like this : And, that hatred is bound to get worse, given what she told them about their daughter in the Season 2 finale
OK, you stated your request in a mature manner. Just make sure you warn others the same way, when they need spoiler tags.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 7, 2014, 07:47 AM

Well I gave episode 1 of Fargo another chance and finished it off, and it was clear I'd been put off too soon. Watched E2 last night and very happy so far.
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

akent35
Banned
Jul 7, 2014, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
Well I gave episode 1 of Fargo another chance and finished it off, and it was clear I'd been put off too soon. Watched E2 last night and very happy so far.
Glad to hear you like it. It only gets better and better!

Fortunately, the new FX series that started after Fargo ended, Tyrant, is also quite good. I'm looking forward to Episode 3 tomorrow night. Then, Wednesday night will be the season 2 premiere of The Bridge. Can't wait for that one!

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jul 7, 2014, 04:50 PM

Currently watching episode 1 of The 100...

Pretty people, unintentionally funny, might be so bad it's good, might be Under The Dome all over again

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jul 7, 2014, 06:04 PM

I've been burning through The 100 too. Episode 7 nearly done. So far so good. I recognise Clark from Neighbours.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 7, 2014, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
I recognise Clark from Neighbours.
The Australian soap? Good grief, man! Avert your eyes!

andi*pandi
Jul 7, 2014, 08:53 PM

Done with Orange is the new Black, season 2. Very good, though not as good as season 1.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 8, 2014, 07:42 AM

Yeah, I thought it was awesome. Didn't quite have the cliffhanger of S1 but I thought some of the character development stuff was even better. Personally, it was equally as good. What a great job on just a super-different show.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jul 8, 2014, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by Face Ache View Post
The Australian soap? Good grief, man! Avert your eyes!
Yes. Haven't watched it in years now though. Actually two of the girls in The 100 were in Neighbours. The other you'll recognise from Dollhouse as well.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

akent35
Banned
Jul 9, 2014, 01:48 PM

Watched E3 of Tyrant last night, and it is getting better. Real interesting twist on family commitments, that's for sure!

Looking forward to this evening, with the Season 2 premiere of The Bridge. I just got done re-watching all of Season 1, so I am ready!

My next "project" is to continue watching Justified. I am still in Season 1, with E7 being the next one for me to view.

akent35
Banned
Jul 10, 2014, 04:08 AM

Well, as expected, the Season 2 Premiere of The Bridge was real good. Some new characters and relationship "twists" are going to make for an interesting season.

For Tyrant, just like Fargo, only 10 episodes were produced for Season 1. With 3 of them already completed, that means I have only 7 more Tuesday evenings to enjoy. But, The Bridge will have 13 episodes this season, so my next 12 Wednesdays will be good.

Finally, I'm starting to lean more and more towards watching The Strain on FX, starting this Sunday. It has already got some good reviews, and the ads on FX look interesting.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 10, 2014, 07:22 AM

I'm not going to bother with Tyrant - I was too busy to start watching it from the start, and I have not heard much beyond mediocre reviews.

Glad to see The Bridge is leaving the stupid Evil Superbad Genius plot and heading more into the murkier border aspect. Great decision, as that entire plot was completely boring.

akent35
Banned
Jul 10, 2014, 12:04 PM

I'm not going to bother with Tyrant - I was too busy to start watching it from the start, and I have not heard much beyond mediocre reviews.
I've seen a mixture of good, average, and poor reviews. But, so far it has my interest. I will say, though, that E3 started off in a "not too exciting" way for me, but the last half was good.

Glad to see The Bridge is leaving the stupid Evil Superbad Genius plot and heading more into the murkier border aspect. Great decision, as that entire plot was completely boring.
I guess since I have enjoyed Seasons 1 & 2 of The Following, that part of Season 1's plot captured my interest. Part of that, of course, is the acting was (and continues to be) superb. But yeah, season 2 is looking good so far.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 10, 2014, 02:38 PM

Yeah, was not impressed by the Following either.

Evil Geniuses are ultimately boring plot lines in my opinion - usually highly implausible and almost always lead to over-gratuitous plot theatrics. Both of which plagued The Bridge up until the last few episodes (I mean...assuming you did think about how he

).

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 10, 2014, 03:07 PM

Finished off Fargo this morning. I thought it ended pretty well - similar tone to the movie. I generally prefer more ambiguity myself, but I enjoyed it. Also agree that the Stavros plot line was the only significant missed opportunity of the show.

It is a one-season show - like True Detective - there is no need to set up events or characters for a subsequent season.

akent35
Banned
Jul 10, 2014, 03:13 PM

Yeah, was not impressed by the Following either.

Evil Geniuses are ultimately boring plot lines in my opinion - usually highly implausible and almost always lead to over-gratuitous plot theatrics. Both of which plagued The Bridge up until the last few episodes (I mean...assuming you did think about how he

).
I think it's just the opposite. That "Evil Superbad Genius" storyline (and character) had a number of previous connections with two of the main characters:

As for how he:

Yeah, maybe somewhat far fetched, but hey, quite a few shows do far fetched things too.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 10, 2014, 03:21 PM

Well I know there was a connection to the Evil Dude - it was simply highly implausible and boring. Those connections were shoehorned in to justify spending over half a season chasing some mysterious Super-Evil character who had mysteriously superhuman timing and seemingly knew what everyone would do....when the actual interesting parts of the show were elsewhere.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 10, 2014, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by akent35 View Post
Yeah, maybe somewhat far fetched, but hey, quite a few shows do far fetched things too.
Yes...which is why most television shows are pretty mediocre/bad.

akent35
Banned
Jul 10, 2014, 07:37 PM

Well I know there was a connection to the Evil Dude - it was simply highly implausible and boring. Those connections were shoehorned in to justify spending over half a season chasing some mysterious Super-Evil character who had mysteriously superhuman timing and seemingly knew what everyone would do....when the actual interesting parts of the show were elsewhere.
Actually, as I mentioned above, there were at least two characters connected to the "Evil Dude" (and that involved two separate stories). Also, I thought when the connections were finally revealed, they made the show more interesting.

Again, about the only thing about the "Evil Dude" was the far fetched business you mentioned earlier (via a spoiler). I just felt his presence enhanced the series.

akent35
Banned
Jul 10, 2014, 07:40 PM

Yes...which is why most television shows are pretty mediocre/bad.
I would not say most. Three prime examples (besides The Bridge) are Fargo, Breaking Bad, and Justified. I watched all of Fargo, and am into season 1 of Justified. I have heard so many positive things about Breaking Bad that I will have to watch it. But, all 3 of those (plus, most likely, quite a few other outstanding shows/series) have had some far fetched parts to them, yet they were still outstanding.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 11, 2014, 07:59 AM

You do realize how many TV shows are on television, right? There are maybe 2 or 3 on at any given time that are fit to watch - again, all in my opinion. That's not a good success rate....

Originally Posted by akent35
Actually, as I mentioned above, there were at least two characters connected to the "Evil Dude" (and that involved two separate stories). Also, I thought when the connections were finally revealed, they made the show more interesting.

Again, about the only thing about the "Evil Dude" was the far fetched business you mentioned earlier (via a spoiler). I just felt his presence enhanced the series.
My point was not at all about how many characters were connecting to whoever - it could be a dozen and not make any difference. At the end of the day, the parts of season one I enjoyed the least were about the Evil Genius Dude, who was mysteriously appearing out of nowhere to inflict damage or pull mastermind-esque puppet strings, and then just as mysteriously disappearing without ever being seen. It was implausible and frustrating, and didn't fit with the rest of the show.

I take solace in the fact that my frustrations about this were apparently shared by many critics, viewers (who kept dwindling as the Evil Dude plot ramped up in later episodes), and even the show creators themselves, who agreed that it didn't work. One of them went back to Homeland, and the other has committed to exploring more of the stuff that does work - i.e. the cross-border intricacies and cross-culture aspects.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jul 12, 2014, 09:16 AM

2 or 3 seems overly critical, but you are of course correct about the hit rate.

That said there is barely anything on at the moment, let alone anything good. Doctor Who is back next month though I think.

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 12, 2014, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
Doctor Who is back next month though I think.
Read the leaked scripts yet? I read the first one. It's very good (on paper).

akent35
Banned
Jul 12, 2014, 12:58 PM

You do realize how many TV shows are on television, right? There are maybe 2 or 3 on at any given time that are fit to watch - again, all in my opinion. That's not a good success rate....
Understand. While that "hit" rate is accurate, at least the ones I watch are good (for me).

My point was not at all about how many characters were connecting to whoever - it could be a dozen and not make any difference. At the end of the day, the parts of season one I enjoyed the least were about the Evil Genius Dude, who was mysteriously appearing out of nowhere to inflict damage or pull mastermind-esque puppet strings, and then just as mysteriously disappearing without ever being seen. It was implausible and frustrating, and didn't fit with the rest of the show.

I take solace in the fact that my frustrations about this were apparently shared by many critics, viewers (who kept dwindling as the Evil Dude plot ramped up in later episodes), and even the show creators themselves, who agreed that it didn't work. One of them went back to Homeland, and the other has committed to exploring more of the stuff that does work - i.e. the cross-border intricacies and cross-culture aspects.
Again, (and not to argue, just my opinion) I hold just the opposite view (as others I know; in fact, I'll see some of them today at a house party my wife and I are going to). The Evil Genius Dude's role was well integrated into the show. His "direct" showings was in only four episodes, and again there were connections with quite a few of the characters:

Also, I don't give too much weight to all the reviews that are posted. Two perfect examples (and there are MANY more) are 1) the initial terrible reviews the excellent movie "The Sting" got when it first came out, and 2) the negative reviews for the Season 1 ending of the excellent TV series "The Killing". That second one is the most baffling, as the American version was just following the same "ideas" as the original Danish version.

In any event, I was surprised last night with On Demand via Comcast. I wanted to re-watch the Season 2 premiere, but I also saw listed Episode 2, which does not air until next Wednesday. So, I watched both of them, and thus when it comes on again Wednesday, I'll already know quite a bit about it. (I like to re-watch episodes of most series, as I tend to miss things which seem trivial on initial viewing).

It also looks like there is another "Evil Dude", this time the woman:

Her part is played by Franka Potente, a little know German actress. When I saw her in E1, I said to myself, she looks familiar. When I later googled her name, it revealed where: she played Marie in the first two Bourne movies (starring Matt Damon). She is doing evil things in The Bridge so far, and again with connections to other characters.
( Last edited by akent35; Jul 16, 2014 at 06:46 PM. )

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jul 12, 2014, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Face Ache View Post
Read the leaked scripts yet? I read the first one. It's very good (on paper).
No, I only saw they'd leaked earlier but I prefer to avoid spoilers.

andi*pandi
Jul 13, 2014, 01:39 AM

avoiding them like plague.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 13, 2014, 11:51 AM

Haha, I also didn't like The Killing. Season 1 started well and immediately went downhill very quickly. I didn't bother with S2 - checked the ratings a while back and consensus seemed to be "slightly better but about the same". Meh.

akent35
Banned
Jul 13, 2014, 12:14 PM

Haha, I also didn't like The Killing. Season 1 started well and immediately went downhill very quickly. I didn't bother with S2 - checked the ratings a while back and consensus seemed to be "slightly better but about the same". Meh.
I did like Seasons 1 & 2, and the ending for the Season 1 finale was fine with me. I tried to watch Season 3, but I could not get into it. My youngest son, on the other hand, did watch it (he is the one that originally told me about the series), and raved about it. And, of course, it just made it better that the series takes place in Seattle, about 20 miles up the road from me!

As for ratings/reviews, etc., I do not put much weight on them. If I did, I probably would have no watched a number of good movies/shows. I gave two examples above, and I'm sure there are plenty more.

Anyway, based on my Comcast subscription, I just re-watched E2 of "The Bridge", this time with no commercials. Very revealing, to say the least!

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jul 13, 2014, 02:33 PM

I caught up with the last couple of episodes of Orphan Black series 2 this weekend. Great stuff. The ending left some things open, and opened up a whole new thing.

Clone Dance Party! Making of ORPHAN BLACK's 4 Clone Dance Party - BBC AMERICA - YouTube

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jul 13, 2014, 03:40 PM

The original or the US version?

akent35
Banned
Jul 14, 2014, 07:41 PM

Watched E1 of The Strain last night, and initially it was somewhat slow going. But, it did get better. However, I like Tyrant better, and it is definitely not as good as Fargo was, nor how good The Bridge, Justified, and The Americans are.

andi*pandi
Jul 14, 2014, 08:05 PM

Was bored this weekend and paging through amazon prime, saw they had Deadwood. Watched 2 episodes and even though I've seen them before, they were just as engaging and riveting this time around. What excellent tv, what stupidity it was cancelled.

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Jul 14, 2014, 10:51 PM

Deadwood was really great. Pour some out.

Anyone watching The Leftovers on HBO? I'm quite intrigued by it. I think it has a lot of potential.

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 15, 2014, 02:01 AM

The second series of Ray Donovan has just started.

akent35
Banned
Jul 16, 2014, 06:46 PM

Watched E4 of Tyrant last night, and it is actually getting better. One other thing about that series (and Mad Men also) is that there is nothing far fetched about it.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jul 17, 2014, 01:58 AM

Series 2 of Utopia, here on Channel 4, will be messing with my head for the next few weeks.

mattyb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 17, 2014, 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by ajprice View Post
Series 2 of Utopia, here on Channel 4, will be messing with my head for the next few weeks.
Great series!!

That opening credits music creeps me out everytime I hear it.

akent35
Banned
Jul 17, 2014, 03:22 PM

I am not sure why this is going on, but E3 of The Bridge (E2 aired live last night) is now available for viewing! That's the second week in a row I have seen the next episode available (6 days earlier than scheduled to be broadcast) via On Demand on Comcast (funny that such a service is fantastic, even though, in another forum, there are some Comcast horror stories). I started watching it already, but only got half way through, as we are getting ready to go to the beach for a picnic (man, retirement sure is nice!). If I can get a WiFi connection while we're at the beach (been to the place a number of times before, and have sometimes got WiFi access to some other networks), I'll watch it over the internet, on FX's site. I suspect that FX allows Dish Network and DirectTV (and other cable/satellite services) this ability also to view it (over the internet).

I was actually somewhat concerned that with our upcoming trip to Iceland (we leave next Thursday the 24th at about 5 PM out of Seattle), that I'd possibly have to wait until we got back (will be on Friday, August 1st) before I could watch E4. But, it looks like I can catch it at home next Thursday before we head to the airport (only 10 minutes from where we live).

Episode is interesting so far. I'll give a "Spoiler" version soon, when I'm done watching it (plan on viewing it twice, to make sure I don't miss something subtle, but potentially important). Great, great series, that's for sure!

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jul 23, 2014, 01:33 PM

And now for something completely different, Jim Parsons has walked out on TBBT
Jim Parsons Quits ‘The Big Bang Theory’ After On-Set Fight | Empire News

Edit: no he hasn't http://thebazingacast.co/2014/07/21/...g-bang-theory/
( Last edited by ajprice; Jul 23, 2014 at 01:53 PM. )

akent35
Banned
Jul 23, 2014, 01:34 PM

I am really liking Tyrant more and more. It is definitely one of the better series on TV. Last night's episode had a good, positive ending (regarding the story line). The Bridge, of course, continues to excel, and E3 (on tonight, but I saw it already via Comcast's On Demand service) will just enhance that. Fortunately, I can watch E4 tomorrow prior to leaving for Iceland (maybe I can catch it before next Wednesday over the internet while we are there, but maybe not).

As for The Strain, it is good, but not as good as Tyrant. I will, though, keep watching it. But, while we fly back and forth to Iceland, I plan on watching as many prior episodes of Justified as I can (depending on the battery like in my MacBook Air). Still in Season 1, and will pick up at Episode 7.

akent35
Banned
Jul 24, 2014, 03:46 PM

Well, I was able to watch E4 of The Bridge earlier today, even though it will not air until next Wednesday. Once again, some more intrigue!

Also, it looks like there is going to be a Season 2 of Fargo:

FX Plans 2nd Season Of ‘Fargo’ TV Show « CBS Minnesota

Not sure what the storyline will be. Also, looks like it won't air until a little over a year from now, in the Fall of 2015.

RobOnTheCape
Senior User
Jul 24, 2014, 04:33 PM

Has anyone seen the two seasons of the Brit show "Green Wing"? We loved this show for it's quick and zany banter, uncomfortable comedic situations it seems the Brits do best, and the way it goes from reality to a character giving birth to a lion cub. How it only lasted two seasons is a wonder.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jul 25, 2014, 05:47 AM

Green Wing was brilliant .

Fargo S2. As it says in the link, it will be Sioux Falls in 1979 that was referenced a few times in S1. Lou Solverson back from Vietnam, the first time he was on the porch with his shotgun... "Wasn’t a question of who. More like what"

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jul 25, 2014, 11:47 AM

I think everyone involved in Green Wing was in a lot of demand at the time. I think they all just agreed to quit while they were ahead and go chase the other opportunities while they were still on offer.

RobOnTheCape
Senior User
Jul 25, 2014, 11:50 AM

It was on Netflix for awhile - A shame they pulled it down.

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Jul 25, 2014, 01:25 PM

I just finished both series of Black Mirror. Really great; I'm a big Twilight Zone fan and this was a really entertaining TZ-ish theme but with modern situations and concepts. Very enjoyable.

akent35
Banned
Jul 25, 2014, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by ajprice View Post
Fargo S2. As it says in the link, it will be Sioux Falls in 1979 that was referenced a few times in S1. Lou Solverson back from Vietnam, the first time he was on the porch with his shotgun... "Wasn’t a question of who. More like what"
That's great! Should be quite a show.

andi*pandi
Jul 25, 2014, 10:07 PM

Green Wing and Black Mirror sound interesting.

How far into Fringe do you have to go before it gets really good? I am partway into Season 2 and keep falling asleep. There's elements I like, but not enough of them I guess.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jul 26, 2014, 06:36 AM

If memory serves, its towards the end of season 2 or maybe season 3 it hits its stride.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jul 26, 2014, 12:45 PM

It's been mentioned on here before, but the 3rd series of Luther is on UK Netflix now. I've seen them on BBC and they are all very much recommended.

Forum Links
Forum Rules