Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > TV Serieseseseses

TV Serieseseseses (Page 4)
akent35
Banned
Aug 3, 2014, 12:37 PM

Well, could not watch the missed episodes of The Strain and Tyrant while we were in Iceland (site said had to be viewing from the US), so I played "catch up" on Friday evening and yesterday. The Strain is getting better, but Tyrant keeps excelling and excelling! Last Tuesday's episode had a somewhat surprising, but potentially impacting, ending. Can't wait until Tuesday night!

Will soon watch Episode 5 on The Bridge (which actually will air this coming Wednesday. Also, finished Season 1 of Justified, and have watched the first 2 episodes of Season 2. It's definitely getting better!
( Last edited by akent35; Aug 3, 2014 at 01:26 PM. )

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Aug 3, 2014, 02:03 PM

Mediahint is a nifty Firefox plugin that fools video streaming sites that restrict by geolocation. Should let you watch BBC iPlayer from the US for example.
I use it for Hulu and the various comedy clips I see posted on Facebook that don't work outside the US.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

akent35
Banned
Aug 3, 2014, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
Mediahint is a nifty Firefox plugin that fools video streaming sites that restrict by geolocation. Should let you watch BBC iPlayer from the US for example.
I use it for Hulu and the various comedy clips I see posted on Facebook that don't work outside the US.
Unfortunately, Media Hint is no longer free. But, thanks.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Aug 4, 2014, 04:05 AM

I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Aug 4, 2014, 09:26 AM

Hola Unblocker for Chrome works for me when I'm out of the country. I watched The Cabin in the Woods on Netflix while I was in Azerbaijan.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Aug 4, 2014, 11:46 AM

New series of The Killing is good. Only got one ep left.

akent35
Banned
Aug 22, 2014, 01:07 PM

Really liked the first two seasons of that great show. Will try and catch the new season.

Meanwhile, Tyrant continues to get better, and there is only 1 episode left. Season 2 of The Bridge also continues to get better. Unfortunately, both of those series are not doing that "great" as far as ratings are concerned. It would be a pity if both of them do not get renewed. One possible precedent, though: The ratings for Season 2 of The Americans were not that great either, but it did get renewed for Season 3, starting sometime in January or February.

Surprisingly (at least to me), ratings for the FX series "The Strain" have been real good, and it has been renewed for a second season. I am having a difficult time getting into that one, although some parts of some previous episodes were good. But, it is not capturing me like Tyrant, The Bridge, Justified, The Following, and The Americans do.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 22, 2014, 09:16 PM

If you're not watching Rectify and The Honourable Woman, you're wasting your time. That is all.
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Aug 23, 2014, 12:16 PM

There will be a Christmas special of Black Mirror One-off Black Mirror Christmas special on its way | Den of Geek

Originally Posted by Den of Geek
Writer Charlie Brooker said of the special, "I always enjoy a good ghost story at Christmas, and I'm a sucker for the Amicus compendium horror movies of the 70s. Our aim is to create the Black Mirror equivalent of that."
Sounds interesting

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 25, 2014, 11:11 AM

I can't wait! Black Mirror was absolutely fantastic. Every now and again something happens and I think about one of the episodes...sign of a great piece of work.

I'm going to re-up again and say that I cannot believe that no one else seems to have watched or been watching Rectify or The Honourable Woman. Rectify is a slow-moving character drama that somehow makes its paint-drying pace incredibly interesting.

And The Honourable Woman is an absolutely fantastic british show with Maggie Gyllenhaal...it's set in Britain and the Middle East and is stunningly good. I mean...I like The Bridge best out of what's currently on TV, but it's not even in the same league as The Honourable Woman - mediocre stuff like The Killing or The Tyrant or The Strain are not even on the same planet.

Watch the first episode of The Honourable Woman...you have my personal guarantee that your jaw will be on the floor by the end.

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Aug 25, 2014, 06:29 PM

I added The Honourable Woman to my library on Friday based on the recommendation from this thread, told some friends about it on Saturday, and by Sunday night they had blasted through all 8 episodes to absolute rave review.

I'll have to get on that soon

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Aug 25, 2014, 06:50 PM

So I thought I'd totally guessed the ending of True Blood, but I hadn't.

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 25, 2014, 09:00 PM

This is a very clever show. For the first two seasons you think you're watching a worthwhile murder mystery, but in the final episode of Season 2 you realise that the conclusion is so unlikely that it's actually a dark comedy, and the joke's on you.

Then if you venture into Season 3 you find yourself forgiving the show and hoping the next story will resolve satisfactorily. Of course it's not until the last episode of S03 that you realise that once again you've been watching a steaming pile of improbable poo.

Season 4 is only six final episodes, so you think "Hey, I've come this far..." But no, even at this late point you'd be better off giving up. And the final scene? "... and they all lived happily ever after." Aaaargh!!!!

This show encourages serial killers.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 25, 2014, 09:02 PM

Agreed. The Killing almost drove me to murder....myself

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 30, 2014, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by abbaZaba View Post
I added The Honourable Woman to my library on Friday based on the recommendation from this thread, told some friends about it on Saturday, and by Sunday night they had blasted through all 8 episodes to absolute rave review.

I'll have to get on that soon
Someone on a podcast that I didn`t listen to was quoted to me as saying "If you're a fan of Homeland and wish it didn't suck, you might like this show"

Let me know what you think. In my opinion the 8 episodes of season 1 are right up there with the most riveting and best seasons I have watched in the past couple years.

mattyb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 2, 2014, 12:04 PM

Getting into Hannibal (S1) ATM, but grabbed Honourable Woman. Nobody mentioned Extant or Black Sails? Apparently popular in the UK : Vikings, Extant lead Amazon UK ‘ratings’ » Digital TV Europe

andi*pandi
Sep 2, 2014, 04:07 PM

I wanted to watch Black Sails, does that count?

Currently binging on United States of Tara on Netflix. Season 1 was great, Season 2 is growing on me but has some uncomfy moments.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Sep 2, 2014, 04:21 PM

I've been watching Extant. I like it.

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2014, 04:42 PM

if I remember correctly, United States of Tara got cancelled without resolving anything but it has been awhile since I watched it.

Black Sails is pretty enjoyable, it'd get my vote for the queue

OreoCookie
Sep 2, 2014, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
Someone on a podcast that I didn`t listen to was quoted to me as saying "If you're a fan of Homeland and wish it didn't suck, you might like this show"
I really wish they had stopped Homeland after one season. It got more and more ridiculous afterwards, and I lost interest.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Sep 2, 2014, 05:01 PM

Yup it's old. yup it's on season 11tybillion but I do like it's corny old traditional ass.

had forgotten all about the latest season so binge watching now.

Supernatural.

Old school entertainment.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2014, 05:17 PM

For a short miniseries, if you can find The Take, I'd recommend it. UK crimeworld, Tom Hardy as a main character.

The Take: Series Info

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Sep 2, 2014, 05:20 PM

So any on have any comments on the new series of Dr Who. Am really liking Peter Capaldi who is by far the best thing about the new season so far.

andi*pandi
Sep 2, 2014, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by Doc HM View Post
So any on have any comments on the new series of Dr Who. Am really liking Peter Capaldi who is by far the best thing about the new season so far.
I've been meaning to bump the Dr Who thread... So far so good, I agree.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Sep 3, 2014, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
Yep, I've liked both episodes so far .

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 3, 2014, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by ajprice View Post
It's been mentioned on here before, but the 3rd series of Luther is on UK Netflix now. I've seen them on BBC and they are all very much recommended.
Luther is most excellent. I only just now finished Season 1, Season 2 and 3 are ripped and ready on my iPad.

Shame they never went for more seasons.

-t

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Sep 7, 2014, 05:41 PM

Is anyone watching Outlander? On paper, its not my usual sort of thing but its compelling.
You bunch of sassenachs.

andi*pandi
Sep 7, 2014, 06:11 PM

I read the books, and heard it was good, but don't get starz, and don't feel compelled to pirate it. Maybe when I'm done with other half-watched shows.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Sep 8, 2014, 10:08 AM

I haven't read the books, but I very much like the actress playing the lead. She's lovely.

Cold Warrior
Sep 8, 2014, 09:59 PM

Folks have mentioned The Strain. It's moving along ok now and is pretty good.

akent35
Banned
Sep 8, 2014, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
Folks have mentioned The Strain. It's moving along ok now and is pretty good.
I don't know. I keep trying to watch it, and in a few cases, have watched entire episodes. But, it still does not capture me like Tyrant, Fargo, The Bridge, The Americans, Justified, and The Following do.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Sep 9, 2014, 10:57 AM

Yeah I watch that too. This thread is making it very apparent that I watch far too much TV.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Sep 9, 2014, 01:09 PM

I've stayed with The 100 as it's been shown here on E4. It started out a bit teen drama but it's getting good and dark now.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Sep 10, 2014, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
and getting better. I saw the trail for Robot of Sherwood and immediately thought "meh". I even nearly consigned it to watching on inlayer later. In fact it was the best episode so far. A very enjoyable romp with some great lines, PC starting to get into his stride and even Clara not as annoying as she usually is.

OK so the plot was hokum, the resolution daft and the stunts a bit weak (grappling down the curtain anyone), but Capadi continues to improve and grow into the part. Last week his throw away lines about the dead soldier being the "top few layers if you want to say some words" seemed callous, but his diagnosis of 6 months, and his follow up were just funny.

Several fans moments too. Miniscope (Carnival of Monsters) and the return of Venusian Aikedo - both Pertwee era call outs were fun to spot. Good to have the mysterious arc missing, apart form the shoehorned in reference to the ship looking for the promised land.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 18, 2014, 11:04 AM

1. Did anyone else get around to The Honourable Woman? You're...welcome.

2. Did anyone else mention Happy Halley yet? Another British miniseries (6 episodes I think?)...really great. Especially recommended for those of us in North America to try and figure out what the eff people are saying, and enjoy the ludicrousness of police officers that do not seem to carry guns. (Mind likely blown for most!)
( Last edited by ShortcutToMoncton; Sep 18, 2014 at 02:33 PM. )

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 18, 2014, 03:50 PM

I just heard about this series, and its the first one im interested in watching in a very long time....Mainly because i loved the movie. The format of the show seems intriguing as well .... "Each season of the series is set in a different era, with a different cast and characters, but in the same universe as the film." (Wiki)

Fargo trailer (Youtube)

EDIT>> I just noticed the show has been recommended earlier in this thread.

andi*pandi
Sep 18, 2014, 11:32 PM

I've finished Tara, and think that while they could have made another season out of it, they wrapped it up pretty well. Strong performances.

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 19, 2014, 06:54 AM

Just finished Season 1 of Utopia (UK). Beautifully shot (comic book style?). Great soundtrack. Some nice plot twists.

Soundtrack...

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Sep 19, 2014, 07:28 AM

Does anyone watch Garfunkel and Oates?

Not sure the show is all that brilliant but I love those two.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 19, 2014, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
I just heard about this series, and its the first one im interested in watching in a very long time....Mainly because i loved the movie. The format of the show seems intriguing as well .... "Each season of the series is set in a different era, with a different cast and characters, but in the same universe as the film." (Wiki)

Fargo trailer (Youtube)

EDIT>> I just noticed the show has been recommended earlier in this thread.
Took me a couple episodes to get into it, but it was a great season.

Given some of your particular interests in the Middle East and Israeli-Palestine tensions, I suspect you would also really enjoy The Honourable Woman, which I've plugged before. Don't read the plot though - huge spoilers.

mattyb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 21, 2014, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Face Ache View Post
Just finished Season 1 of Utopia (UK). Beautifully shot (comic book style?). Great soundtrack. Some nice plot twists.
2nd series is finished, haven't started it yet though.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Sep 25, 2014, 05:12 PM

I know its been over for a while now but is/was anyone else a fan of Boston Legal? I've re-watched some recently and it might just be the best TV show ever.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 25, 2014, 07:23 PM

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 26, 2014, 09:06 AM

Finished up Luther's final season. Quite the drop off from the previous two, but still worth watching (seeing as its 4 episodes).

Rumor
Sep 26, 2014, 11:26 AM

Wife and I started Supernatural recently. Fun show so far, though the formula is pretty basic. I do like the integration of urban legends.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

RobOnTheCape
Senior User
Sep 26, 2014, 11:33 AM

I've always been a Steven Buscemi fan, and have really enjoyed plowing through 4 plus seasons of Boardwalk Empire. I think the cinematography/period clothing and sets are quite exceptional. It seems they did a lot of historical research as there are small things throughout the series which seem odd, but were just the way things were done in the 1920's.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Sep 26, 2014, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Rumor View Post
Wife and I started Supernatural recently. Fun show so far, though the formula is pretty basic. I do like the integration of urban legends.
It gets a lot better once Castiel arrives. I love SN. It's not clever and it really hasn't ever hear of the words irony or post modern, which is a good thing. It's a simple show that is fun to watch and the characters are all engaging.

I'd take that over this years nonsensical and soon to be cancelled concept genre show any day.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 27, 2014, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by RobOnTheCape View Post
I've always been a Steven Buscemi fan, and have really enjoyed plowing through 4 plus seasons of Boardwalk Empire. I think the cinematography/period clothing and sets are quite exceptional. It seems they did a lot of historical research as there are small things throughout the series which seem odd, but were just the way things were done in the 1920's.
It's exceptionally well-done and a truly beautiful show. But it's not a great one; they have simply never managed to create a great lead from Buscemi's character. Unlike the great shows, he simply doesn't seem to change or have much of an arc...he's the same in the last season as he is in the first one.

More egregiously, they also made the stupid decision to kill off or minimize the characters that were actually great. Jimmy, Margaret, and most importantly Richard......tragic decisions that really hurt the show.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Oct 9, 2014, 11:01 AM

"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

mattyb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 9, 2014, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
Not available in my country????

Forum Links
Forum Rules