Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > TV Serieseseseses

TV Serieseseseses (Page 7)
subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 11, 2019, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
"Hey Siri, make me seasons 2 through 99 of Firely"
“Searching the web for too threw”

andi*pandi
Sep 16, 2020, 10:08 PM

Hey, I ran out of other amazon things to watch so finally gave the Expanse another shot. This time I did not fall asleep during the quiet space scenes and made it to the interesting characters, unique mystery, etc. Still on season 1 though.

OreoCookie
Sep 16, 2020, 11:16 PM

@Andy
I can't wait for the next season, the characters are great. Wait until you meet Bobby “Gunny” Draper.

Another recommendation, from Apple+ no less: Ted Lasso. Sooooo good. I'm not interested in watching sports, and the premise sounds like a setup for slapstick comedy. Trust me, it's not.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Sep 17, 2020, 07:11 AM

I'm enjoying Ted as well.

The Boys on Amazon is great but its dark and violent. Theres some colourful language too.

I'm watching The Outpost. Its a little cheesy but its fun.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Sep 17, 2020, 10:14 AM

The Boys season 2 is as good as Season 1. Who knew The Deep could top his dolphin escapade so immensely! Classic.

Butcher continues to er butcher the English language but I can roll with it now. How much do I already hate Stormfront, and could Homelander get any more creepy?

Immediately hooked on Cobra Kai on the 'flix. Who knew we needed an update to Karate Kid. Really really well written characters especially Johnny Lawrence. A properly sympathetic looser.

Also, catch Rust Valley Restorations. Usually not big on US reality car shows but a) Canadian and b) Mike Hall and c) AVERY SHOAF!!
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Nov 20, 2020, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
Another recommendation, from Apple+ no less: Ted Lasso. Sooooo good. I'm not interested in watching sports, and the premise sounds like a setup for slapstick comedy. Trust me, it's not.
Finally added the wife's account to our AppleTV to take advantage of the free year of ATV+ we got when we bought her iPhone. Ted Lasso is the content we need right now, it's so wholesome. Though I am interested to hear what actual Brits think of it. The premise of a bumbling, plucky, eternally optimistic American softening the hearts of a bunch of cynical, crude, stereotypical Brits seems...offensive? We're only a few episodes in, no spoilers.

andi*pandi
Nov 20, 2020, 11:30 AM

@Andy
I can't wait for the next season, the characters are great. Wait until you meet Bobby “Gunny” Draper.

I liked Gunny a lot! although season 4 seemed a bit cold. It will be interesting to see where they take the next season with some of the plotlines wrapped up. Ooh, well it looks good!

Right now I'm paying for netflix, amazon, hulu, and disney+. Do I need appletv too?!?!? Ted Lasso sounds good.

I gave Killing Eve a try and it is excellent... but the latest season is just a little too down.
I tried Last Man on Earth but it was a) a little on the nose, and b) cringey type humor.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Nov 20, 2020, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
Right now I'm paying for netflix, amazon, hulu, and disney+. Do I need appletv too?!?!? Ted Lasso sounds good.
"A $100 cable bill is atrocious! I demand à la carte services!"

"I have Netflix, Hulu, D+, ATV+, ESPN+, Amazon Prime, YouTube TV, and Peacock and it only costs me $120/month!"

andi*pandi
Nov 20, 2020, 12:43 PM

Silly me is still paying for verizon cable too!

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Nov 20, 2020, 01:18 PM

Well in reality we bundled Hulu/D+/ESPN+ since it was cheaper than just getting Disney+ and we already had Hulu. We keep threatening to cancel Amazon Prime since they keep pulling music from the general library and putting it behind the "Unlimited" velvet rope. But every year I chicken out and keep subscribing for that sweet, sweet 2 day shipping. Add Netflix to that and we're paying $40/month total for TV services, plus $85/month for the internet to watch them with.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 20, 2020, 03:16 PM

Exactly. The entire services a la carte is a consumer disaster. If only there was a single-box solution where I could pay one provider to deliver my content.
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 20, 2020, 06:30 PM

I really enjoyed Ted Lasso.
I don't know why anyone thought paying ten providers would be better than paying one.
I also don't know why Disney were so savage with their Netflix Marvel shows. Its not like they can go that dark on D+. They were good shows.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

OreoCookie
Nov 20, 2020, 11:52 PM

I liked Gunny a lot! although season 4 seemed a bit cold.
Yes, and it felt a bit like an entirely different TV series. But still a very enjoyable one.
It will be interesting to see where they take the next season with some of the plotlines wrapped up. Ooh, well it looks good!
Can’t wait.
Do I need appletv too?!?!? Ted Lasso sounds good.
Ted Lasso is a-freaking-mazing. You could subscribe for a month, binge watch it (which you will, trust me) and then unsubscribe. We got Apple TV+ for free for a year since my wife bought an iPhone 11 last January.

OreoCookie
Nov 21, 2020, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Though I am interested to hear what actual Brits think of it. The premise of a bumbling, plucky, eternally optimistic American softening the hearts of a bunch of cynical, crude, stereotypical Brits seems...offensive? We're only a few episodes in, no spoilers.
I wonder about this, too.
What speaks against it (from a neutral third-country perspective) is that all characters are given some depth, even the ones you may dislike in the beginning. The charity dinner episode is great, you really feel for the new team owner, I could feel my heart breaking a little for her. (I’m being vague to avoid any spoilers.) You understand why Jamie Tart is the way he is, and the tiny plot twist in the last episode in that respect was great.

The humorous (or should I write humourous?) take on the British characters is balanced out by the the ridiculousness of the premise of an American football coach/manager taking over a Premier League team. And Ted Lasso admits this directly in the first episode.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 21, 2020, 07:59 AM

Was Ted Lasso originally an SNL skit or something? The TV show seems to be loosely based on a TV ad where he was made manager of Tottenham Hotspur.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Nov 21, 2020, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
Exactly. The entire services a la carte is a consumer disaster. If only there was a single-box solution where I could pay one provider to deliver my content.
Micro payments per view would be a way through the maze I guess. An amount that generates realistic revenue but is also small enough that it goes underneath peoples "how much?" radar.

Won't happen of course as the mind set is Lock 'em in and take the monthly payment.

P
Nov 23, 2020, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
Was Ted Lasso originally an SNL skit or something? The TV show seems to be loosely based on a TV ad where he was made manager of Tottenham Hotspur.
The character is from an old NBC ad, yes.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

andi*pandi
Dec 4, 2020, 07:14 PM

We are enjoying season 2 of the Mandalorian. Timothy Olyphant playing a smalltown sheriff? Sign me up!

That said...

After the last ep we watched (passenger) we decided the child was actually the villain.

Thorzdad
Dec 4, 2020, 07:24 PM

The second season of The Mandalorian is thick with fan service, in the best way. And, yeah, Timothy Olyphant playing “Raylan Givens in space” was an inspired bit of casting.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Dec 5, 2020, 03:19 PM

The Mandalorian Season 2: Baby Yoda Reaction GIF Generator.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Dec 6, 2020, 02:38 PM

My new iPhone came with a years Apple TV+ (otherwise no chance I would be subscribing). Given I have it for a year, what's hot to trot and what's not on Apples TV station?

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 6, 2020, 04:56 PM

You know, Olyphant was cool at first blush (that lanky Pinocchio walk is unmistakable!) but it ended up being a little too winky for me. Kept waiting for Boyd Crowder to show up. Kinda took me out of the episode to start the season.

P
Dec 7, 2020, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by Doc HM View Post
My new iPhone came with a years Apple TV+ (otherwise no chance I would be subscribing). Given I have it for a year, what's hot to trot and what's not on Apples TV station?
Ted Lasso and For All Mankind are the ones everyone love. I also liked Mythic Quest. Little America is interesting because of the short episodes.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Dec 8, 2020, 09:58 AM

Ted Lasso is really rather good.

I love that it works the exact same way as its protagonist. It has zero side. It's polite, charming and slightly cleverer than you expect it to be.

A definite win.

Will try For All Mankind next.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Dec 8, 2020, 10:00 AM

The Mandalorian Season 2: Baby Yoda Reaction GIF Generator.
Baby Yoda is a bit of a dick isn't he/she/it.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Dec 8, 2020, 10:52 AM

Is Tehran any good?

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Dec 9, 2020, 06:07 AM

I forgot about Tehran. Was waiting to binge it.

Has anyone else seen Raised By Wolves? Its different.

OreoCookie
Dec 9, 2020, 08:30 AM

Tehran is good, I have watched 3 episodes or so. It has a bit of a 24/Homeland vibe to it, but feels more authentic. Not least because of the multiple languages being spoken and doesn’t caricature Iran. The main antagonist is a three-dimensional person who happens to be very good at his job.

I had to stop after a few episodes, because I needed lighter TV in my life — the world is too negative at the moment, so I needed something that puts me in a relaxed mood as opposed to the edge of my seat.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 9, 2020, 08:23 PM

Is Tehran any good?
Very good. Can't wait for Season 2!

OAW

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Dec 20, 2020, 09:03 AM

Mandalorian Finale

Thorzdad
Dec 20, 2020, 10:34 AM

I was kind of let down by that Mandalorian finale, too. Very unsatisfying.

Those Dark Troopers were utter rubbish. A platoon of the things, and the best they can to is put just two of them at the blast door and have them punch away at it? Not very "super soldier" of them.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Dec 20, 2020, 12:09 PM

Going back a few episodes, the reveal

Thorzdad
Dec 20, 2020, 12:55 PM

Did you hang around until after the credits to catch the teaser?

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Dec 20, 2020, 01:36 PM

Thorzdad
Dec 20, 2020, 02:15 PM

Beats me. I recently saw an article showing all the known future SW projects in development, and the one in the teaser isn't listed. Maybe it's meant as a teaser for Mando season3?

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Dec 21, 2020, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
Those Dark Troopers were utter rubbish. A platoon of the things, and the best they can to is put just two of them at the blast door and have them punch away at it? Not very "super soldier" of them.
Could they ever really be that much better than Battledroids?

Beats me. I recently saw an article showing all the known future SW projects in development, and the one in the teaser isn't listed. Maybe it's meant as a teaser for Mando season3?
I figure they left it out on purpose. The MCU has been a big deal for a long time now but I never saw such pre-hype for a Disney shareholder meeting before this one. Maybe someone finally figured out how to generate buzz again. Took them long enough.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Dec 21, 2020, 03:46 PM

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Dec 23, 2020, 04:33 PM

Late to the Schitt's Creek party.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 23, 2020, 06:40 PM

I was kind of let down by that Mandalorian finale, too. Very unsatisfying.
Really? I thought it was as good as could be expected.

OreoCookie
Dec 23, 2020, 07:07 PM

Ok, everybody is going on about The Mandalorian. You guys are missing out. The Expanse. Season 5. OMG. The dialogs are every bit as epic as in Seasons 1–3. The visuals are breathtaking. The stories are gripping. I think I’ll rewatch all of the episodes I’ve binged until 2 am last night. Today. And that’s even though I still haven’t seen most of Season 8 of GoT. (Well, I relented and bought the season on Amazon, I was hoping it’d be free like the others on Prime.)

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 23, 2020, 09:25 PM

Hah.

I’ve followed The Expanse throughout. It’s annoying in spots and some of the manufactured drama is tiring, but overall it’s the best space drama going and the production is pretty awesome.

I...I don’t want to be the one to tell you to just stop watching GoT right now. But I guess this cross is mine to bear. Walk away. Just walk away....

Thorzdad
Dec 24, 2020, 09:53 AM

Ok, everybody is going on about The Mandalorian. You guys are missing out. The Expanse. Season 5. OMG.
I kinda recall checking the show out when it first started, but I can't recall why I noped out of it. Was it particularly or graphically violent? That's usually the main reason I stop watching a show.

Thorzdad
Dec 24, 2020, 09:58 AM

I...I don’t want to be the one to tell you to just stop watching GoT right now. But I guess this cross is mine to bear. Walk away. Just walk away....
We braved season 1 of GoT, and never went back for more. It seemed like, if you took the violence out, there wasn't much left to watch. Anyway, we weren't impressed enough to carry on.

OreoCookie
Dec 24, 2020, 08:14 PM

I’ve followed The Expanse throughout. It’s annoying in spots and some of the manufactured drama is tiring, but overall it’s the best space drama going and the production is pretty awesome.
Manufactured drama, isn’t that what TV is?
I don’t find it tiring. The fourth season that was so highly rated felt weird to me, it was as if it was an entirely different series. I think the series explores a bunch of themes in a great way, e. g. potential downsides of UBI, the development of new cultures (for Mars and the Belt), the loss of the dream of a new Mars, etc. Plus, the scenes of life in space and the future are great. What’s nice is that this tech (apart from the Epstein drive) seems attainable. The holographic screens with gesture interfaces don’t seem impossible to pull off within my lifetime.
Haha!
I have heard this a bunch of times, and just by looking at the number of episodes, it’ll be tough to neatly wrap up the series in a bow. I have watched the first two episodes and it feels kinda rushed already. I think I have waited for long enough to be a little less emotionally invested. Plus, it can’t be as bad as how Battlestar Galactica ended. That one made me angry.

andi*pandi
Mar 9, 2021, 11:23 AM

Still saving the latest Expanse for when I can mentally handle a bleak futurescape. Currently binging The Mindy Project but binging Mindy is a bit like eating too much chocolate. Mindy gets nauseatingly annoying.

Got free appleTV with my new shiny ipad, and first episode of Ted Lasso is charming and promising.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Mar 9, 2021, 12:03 PM

Mindy Project is one of those that my wife mostly watched without me, but I always like the episodes I caught. It's quick and funny, quirky characters, like 30 Rock.

OreoCookie
Mar 9, 2021, 09:40 PM

Mindy Project is one of those that my wife mostly watched without me, but I always like the episodes I caught. It's quick and funny, quirky characters, like 30 Rock.
30 Rock was great and is very unique. They even had quite a few Harvey Weinstein sexual harassment jokes in it that at the time I didn’t get. Very prescient, well done.

Thorzdad
Mar 9, 2021, 11:23 PM

We started re-watching Don't Trust the B**** in Apartment 23 over the weekend. I liked it when it first aired, but I had forgotten just how funny it was. Krysten Ritter Is seriously good and funny.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Mar 10, 2021, 04:59 AM

I still can't believe some idiot cancelled DTTB. Such a great show.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Mar 10, 2021, 06:15 PM

Superstore. 6 seasons of low key but increasingly confident and well payed comedy.

Forum Links
Forum Rules