Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > TV Serieseseseses

TV Serieseseseses (Page 8)
andi*pandi
Mar 10, 2021, 06:55 PM

I also have enjoyed that, I was dubious at first, but the humor is clever and the characters are fun. I especially like the background scenes of customers doing weird things, and the running gag of what's under the shelves.

Is Pennyworth worth getting invested in? I see it only has 2 seasons and might not make more... I liked Gotham in the beginning.
( Last edited by andi*pandi; Mar 10, 2021 at 07:53 PM. )

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Mar 11, 2021, 11:50 AM

Same on Superstore. It felt a little directionless when they were on the whole unionizing tangent but Covid and BLM protests have kind of given them a target again. I was surprised Amy left but it hasn't suffered from her departure.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Mar 13, 2021, 08:53 PM

I've been watching Raising Hope on Disney+. I started watching it when it came out but someone drifted away. Its good fun.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Thorzdad
Mar 17, 2021, 04:11 PM

Our three-year-old granddaughter has become a huge fan of an animated show called Bubble Guppies. It's surprisingly not bad. There are occasional episodes where the writers have written-in (clean) gags that are quite obviously there for the adults' sake. It's definitely a big step up from her previous fave show, Cocomelon, which she seems to have now abandoned. I'll miss Miss Appleberry, though.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Mar 17, 2021, 04:45 PM

Oh man, I never thought I'd be a screen time parent, but quarantine pretty much threw that out of the window. I don't think my son even had a favorite show at 3, my daughter turned 3 in January and is very well versed in her many favorite shows. She's also way sneakier and way less compliant than he was, so in the morning before everyone else is up she'll sneak downstairs and grab a tablet, then sneak it back up to her room and watch Dora or Winnie the Pooh.

Thorzdad
Mar 17, 2021, 05:06 PM

Looks more like she’s conjuring the ancient ones. How’s your holy water supply?

andi*pandi
Mar 17, 2021, 05:10 PM

I remember my youngest was just about 3 when ipads came out, and she picked it up as naturally as anything. We didn't have streaming shows on it though, and due to space only a few movies. She watched fewer "toddler" shows than her brother, both because most of them were drivel, and she'd rather watch (or agree to watch) what big brother was watching or wanted to watch (scooby doo, batman, star wars clone wars). The exception was tinkerbell.

Thorzdad
Mar 17, 2021, 06:46 PM

It’s not at all uncommon to see toddlers playing games on mommy’s phone while grocery shopping. It’s their world, so they learn.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Mar 17, 2021, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
I remember my youngest was just about 3 when ipads came out, and she picked it up as naturally as anything. We didn't have streaming shows on it though, and due to space only a few movies.
She's apparently figured out how to open up Prime Video and navigate to whatever she wants.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Mar 17, 2021, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
It’s not at all uncommon to see toddlers playing games on mommy’s phone while grocery shopping. It’s their world, so they learn.
I've compromised on a lot of stuff in the last year but never have I given a kid my phone in a store or in the car. They're allowed to bring tablets in the car if the drive is 1+ hours, but that's the minimum.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Mar 18, 2021, 03:18 AM

I wonder if people underestimate the value of boredom these days. When I was growing up in the 80s it was common for kids to be left in cars when adults did things that were boring or grown-up. Must have spent ages with just a book to read or some paper to draw on. Not suggesting kids should be left in cars for hours, just there seems to be a prevailing parental belief that their children must remain occupied/entertained for their entire waking life and for some reason its up to the parents to provide this occupation/entertainment. Again, the number of times I was told to go and find something to entertain myself. I think it does the imagination a lot of good.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Mar 18, 2021, 06:44 AM

Got into Brockmire. Much better than it should be. Hank Azaira sound like a bad Frank Underwood impression at first but I'm down with it now.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

Thorzdad
Mar 18, 2021, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
...Not suggesting kids should be left in cars for hours, just there seems to be a prevailing parental belief that their children must remain occupied/entertained for their entire waking life and for some reason its up to the parents to provide this occupation/entertainment. Again, the number of times I was told to go and find something to entertain myself. I think it does the imagination a lot of good.
I've noticed this, too. But, I've also noticed kids' parents with their eyes glued to their phones/pads/laptops 24/7, seemingly unable to take even a moment to just do nothing themselves. So, really, the parents are passing-on their habits to the kids, i.e. be entertained every damned second of the day.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Mar 22, 2021, 09:47 AM

We limit the kids' screen time and the 8 yo is very quick to call out my wife and I for being on our phones. Screen Time shows I use about an hour and a half a day. Thinking back, my dad spent at least as much time reading the paper or watching TV...

https://www.sadanduseless.com/evil-iphones/

Thorzdad
Apr 3, 2021, 03:01 PM

Somehow, our three-year-old found reruns of Barney and Friends on Prime. She was over the other day and insisted on some Barney before her nap. So, on comes the purple dinosaur show, and I’m immediately smacked in the face with the “you’re really old” club, thanks to my realizing one of Barney’s friends is a then ten-year-old Selena Gomez. Geez.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Apr 4, 2021, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Same on Superstore. It felt a little directionless when they were on the whole unionizing tangent but Covid and BLM protests have kind of given them a target again. I was surprised Amy left but it hasn't suffered from her departure.
Oh, and it's over. I didn't realize they were wrapping it up! Seems like they tied up all the loose ends with a nice, feel-good finale. Good show, doesn't quite have the rewatch potential of P&R or The Office, but it has served us well the past few years.

andi*pandi
Apr 5, 2021, 11:29 AM

Not a bad ending, although it did feel a little forced to

I was less happy with the ending to Mindy Project, which also reunited the predictable couple very quickly.

Thorzdad, my sympathies on Barney, my recommendation is to quickly introduce some better cartoon. My kids loved Little Bear at that age, and it's not nearly as annoying.

Thorzdad
Apr 5, 2021, 12:57 PM

Oh, it gets better. Apparently, she sang herself to sleep a few nights ago, singing that "I love you, you love me..." song over and over. I suppose it does have a message a three-year-old can hang onto.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Apr 5, 2021, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
Not a bad ending, although it did feel a little forced to

Also I get serious anxiety any time kids are introduced in a TV show. When Pam had a baby in The Office, Leslie in P&R, when Amy got pregnant, all of that really wore me down. Luckily P&R fast forwarded over infancy and then mostly glossed over the kids, which was a relief.

I should probably talk to someone about that.

MacNNFamous
Senior User
Apr 12, 2021, 12:04 PM

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 9, 2021, 10:00 AM

Late to the party with Ted Lasso. I enjoyed it more than I thought I would, though I do like Jason Sudeikis.

One show I didn’t expect it to remind me of is Blackadder. That show was basically a revolving setup for Blackadder’s snarky, observational one-liners, and this show is a revolving setup for Lasso’s homespun pop-culture metaphors. Less ironically, it reminds me of Major League.

It didn’t register until a few episodes in, but the Apple product placement is a little over the top.

It’s great to see Giles again.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Sep 7, 2021, 01:28 PM

Doom Patrol is surprisingly good.

andi*pandi
Sep 7, 2021, 03:18 PM

I am saving Ted Lasso Season 2 for a mid-september treat.

Over the summer I watched Central Park, which was cute, although not all the songs are winners.

Schmiggadoon I appreciated, but it could have been even MORE over the top to be hilarious. Song parodies on point.

Kevin can Fuck Himself: I really wanted to like, the details of the All in the Family set, and the switches from "sitcom mode" to dark mode were well done... It takes on that sitcom trope of why does the wife stay with this obnoxious idiot. (IE, king of queens). The first few episodes especially work... but ultimately I started disliking the characters and the wife seems just as much to blame for her life failures as stupid Kevin.

Mr Corman: Not a "fun" show. But poignant and sometimes beautiful. Too sad to binge but the characters are well developed enough to care what happens.

Marvel What Ifs: kind of fun. Happy to see Agent Carter again certainly (in my mind I have retconned away her stupid season 2)

reader50
Administrator
Sep 7, 2021, 06:57 PM

I eventually caught up on Lucifer S5. Good thing, as S6 is due this Friday. Quality has not slipped.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 7, 2021, 10:35 PM

The White Lotus and Mare of Easttown were pretty great.

Otherwise it’s been a slow summer. Don’t want to judge Ted Lasso S2 at this point but it’s not quite hitting the same…starting to feel it’s lost a bit of magic. Looking forward to Succession.
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 7, 2021, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
starting to feel it’s lost a bit of magic.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 8, 2021, 02:01 PM

Completely agree.

OreoCookie
Sep 8, 2021, 07:51 PM

Regarding Ted Lasso, completely agreed.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

MacNNFamous
Senior User
Sep 14, 2021, 10:21 PM

Sooooo Casa de Papal? Season 5? Part 1? WTF?

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Sep 15, 2021, 02:17 AM

If you aren’t watching Kevin can F himself on Amazon then you definitely should be. Absolutely superb. Innovative, original and blisteringly well written and acted. Plus funny. And dark.
Talking of Dark. Now hooked on, err, Dark. German sci-fi time twister thriller. Remind me, who is he again????

On a lighter note: Netflix (UK) has two seasons of Battle Bots. God I miss robot wars. If only for the potential tips in how to defeat our metallic overlords in the upcoming robot uprising.

MacNNFamous
Senior User
Sep 15, 2021, 09:57 AM

I am saving Dark for October

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 15, 2021, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
I'm always unexcited about spinoff shows. Almost none of them pan out. Saul was great in small doses and I have no desire for a full-on dose. I suppose we'll see.
I was dead wrong!!! Better Call Saul turned into one of the best shows on TV.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 15, 2021, 12:43 PM

Lou Grant > MTMS

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Sep 16, 2021, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by Doc HM View Post
On a lighter note: Netflix (UK) has two seasons of Battle Bots. God I miss robot wars. If only for the potential tips in how to defeat our metallic overlords in the upcoming robot uprising.
I actually think Robot Wars can teach Formula 1 a thing or two. I'd like to see a remote driver race series with absolutely no limits on the technology used. 5000HP and 400mph. Big crashes and explosions. Absolutely balls-out racing to the very limits of whats possible.
Then another version which is similar but a demolition derby.

Brien
Professional Poster
Sep 16, 2021, 11:21 AM

Yeah, I’m there. F1 got boring after they made it safer. No people = go nuts.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Sep 20, 2021, 06:54 AM

Cast of Ted Lasso prank a news reporter after this years FA Cup final:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgaTykbyTXY

Brien
Professional Poster
Sep 23, 2021, 12:22 AM

Wonder if that makes it into S3.

OreoCookie
Sep 26, 2021, 07:04 PM

I‘ve watched the first two episodes of Foundation, and the cinematography is absolutely breath-taking. I can‘t speak too much of the story yet. There are a lot of moving pieces and I don‘t know if the way they tell the story will be successful, but it is definitely worth watching at this moment. You can tell, though, that there are tons of moving pieces and you need to invest some time in order to get the most out of it.

PS I thought the last two episodes of Ted Lasso were pretty great.
( Last edited by OreoCookie; Sep 27, 2021 at 02:06 AM. )

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Sep 27, 2021, 10:18 AM

Only seen ep 1 of Foundation thus far but it was good. My only hope is it gets enough traction that they get to finish it.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Sep 28, 2021, 03:28 AM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
Only seen ep 1 of Foundation thus far but it was good. My only hope is it gets enough traction that they get to finish it.
Definitely cinema grade FX and an engaging story. Not sure how faithfully they are staying to the original story (so far based on 2 episodes - not very) but that's par for the course for adaptions. Already waiting for E3 in expectation of it standing on its own as a show but fairly sure Foundation will remain essentially unmade.

OreoCookie
Sep 29, 2021, 09:09 AM

JMS claimed that Babylon 5 is being rebooted. Holy mackerel, if this is true I will be beyond thrilled. It is one of the best SciFi series ever made.

Thorzdad
Sep 29, 2021, 11:56 AM

I will be cautiously hopeful. I sure would love to see a B5 reboot buck the usual "make it darker, more violent, and nihilistic" approach.

MacNNFamous
Senior User
Sep 30, 2021, 04:37 PM

^ I want to see a Star Wars Horror movie. Think Alien 1. Only Star Wars. Market it as kid friendly. Traumatize an entire generation, but instantly create a cult classic.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 30, 2021, 05:31 PM

Different component parts, but this is how I just described Lynch’s version of Dune.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 27, 2021, 06:58 AM

Oh, it gets better. Apparently, she sang herself to sleep a few nights ago, singing that "I love you, you love me..." song over and over. I suppose it does have a message a three-year-old can hang onto.
Daniel Tiger is a great kids show that both my kids really liked at 2-3. Then Team Umizoomi is great on the counting and shapes.

We’ve done a decent job keeping them off TV for the most part but of course during lockdowns last year it was all but impossible to keep them entertained and WFH 50-60 hours a week. Unfortunately ours are 4 years apart and the little guy is more exposed to other cartoons than I’d prefer, but that’s what happens with a bossy big sister.

Otherwise, season 2 of Succession — oh yes. And I’m not quite done Squid Games but so far it’s been really quite good.

OreoCookie
Oct 27, 2021, 09:38 PM

I will be cautiously hopeful. I sure would love to see a B5 reboot buck the usual "make it darker, more violent, and nihilistic" approach.
I hope so, too. The ideals held high by B5’s heroes were I think very positive and are reflected in JMS’s later works like the amazing Sens8: cooperation across borders and cultures, tolerance, etc. Clearly, B5’s heroes had their dark sides, too, but that made the series richer. Ever since the pandemic, I have had enough of dark TV. Plus, I thought B5 struck the right amount of balance when it came to their characters. Even one of the arch villains, Bester (who is IMHO one of the best villains in all of scifi), comes across as a fully developed human (with telepathic super powers) and understandable motivation.

To be honest, I was really sad that the B5 universe didn’t become another constellation on the scifi sky, they had a few direct-to-TV movies and a, well, not amazing follow-up series that didn’t live long.

I think one direction JMS could take in the reboot is to stick closer to what B5 would have been if they hadn’t had to recast some of the roles, most notably the role of the station commander (the actor who played Jeffrey Sinclaire was severely mentally ill) and station telepath Thalia Winters.

andi*pandi
Dec 7, 2021, 09:20 PM

Squid Game: yes, we binged that. Humanity is doomed.

Still saving Ted Lasso for a rainy day.

Kid has me watching Owl House. Cute for teenish.

Only Murders in the Building was fun, and made me keep Hulu around for another month or two.

Hawkeye: I had no idea what to expect (they gave this guy a show?) but it is much better than the nothing I expected. Humorous, decent action, interesting "villain."

HBO had a free weekend over Thanksgiving, so I gave in the hype and tried watching Succession. First take: these are all horrible people. Second take: Greg seems hapless. Maybe decent and redeeming? Third take: no, Greg's a manipulator too. I almost finished season 1... keep going?

Brien
Professional Poster
Dec 9, 2021, 05:38 PM

They get worse. They all suck.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 10, 2021, 09:37 PM

It’s a pretty amazing show

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 10, 2021, 09:39 PM

So, I was thinking about watching Cowboy Be

Oh.

Forum Links
Forum Rules