Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Questions that you always wanted to ask but were afraid to ask

Questions that you always wanted to ask but were afraid to ask
mindwaves
Oct 31, 2015, 10:52 PM

I'll start this off. Why do I almost always see Dodge Rams pulling very heavy loads, such as 4 cars on a trailer? I almost never see Ford or Chevy trucks doing the same.

iMOTOR
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2015, 12:37 AM

I have noticed that too. But I also see a lot of Ford 7.3L trucks hauling horse trailers and travel trailers. Maybe those mid 2000s diesel Ram duellys are more affordable than Fords.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Nov 1, 2015, 01:51 PM

Without a representative sample size, it's hard to make any valid conclusions. It could be a local phenomenon, it could be confirmation bias, or it could be the truth.

A cursory glance at the 2005 model year shows that Ford had the highest HD towing capacity, but that the diesel Rams are commanding about 30% more on the used market right now.

Top HD towing capacity changes hands between the big three about every year as they make up new max towing capacity numbers that they can use in their commercials full of trucks blasting through puddles in slow motion. This will continue until SAE J2807 takes firm hold and automakers are forced to use a common standard for towing capacity.

One of my current pet peeves is Chevy touting "highest V8 1/2-ton horsepower." Well of course, Ford uses a twin-turbo V6 in its top model and Ram has gone with the 3.0 Ecodiesel, so no one else is making a big V8 for their half ton. Added to that, peak horsepower doesn't matter at all in a truck, so it's a stupid thing to brag about. And while I'm ranting, remember to ignore every "truck of the year" award. They're typically only eligible to new models and with three manufacturers refreshing models every 3-4 years, everyone is guaranteed to win it at some point. I've got some momentum now, so why don't I bring up Ford's dumb "best selling truck for 3000 years" - Chevy and GMC trucks are counted separately, even though they're basically the same truck and are essentially interchangeable. Some years Chevy+GMC outsells Ford, some years it doesn't.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 1, 2015, 04:29 PM

Why was Dakar cloned?

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Nov 1, 2015, 07:39 PM

Back in the day when post count was displayed next to every post, it meant something to prove you didn't care about post count.

Link.

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 1, 2015, 08:05 PM

Is Demonhood any relation to Robin Hood?

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 1, 2015, 08:05 PM

If Rickey Henderson played golf, would I care about him?

starman
Clinically Insane
Nov 2, 2015, 12:41 AM

Why are there so many holding calls in football? Don't these people know the rules?

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 2, 2015, 11:34 AM

Why this evil curse on the Mets?
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Nov 2, 2015, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
Why are there so many holding calls in football? Don't these people know the rules?
You'd have to compare the number of calls to the number of missed calls to figure out likelihood of getting caught, and also factor in whether a potential 5 yard penalty for holding is better than a guaranteed sack or a big yardage gain.

starman
Clinically Insane
Nov 2, 2015, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
You'd have to compare the number of calls to the number of missed calls to figure out likelihood of getting caught, and also factor in whether a potential 5 yard penalty for holding is better than a guaranteed sack or a big yardage gain.
It's not just 5 yards, it's first downs. You don't want to do that.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

el chupacabra
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2015, 01:21 PM

why do people care about football gossip
regardless the outcome it doesnt effect their life anymore than kim kardashian gossip

Phileas
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2015, 04:27 PM

Top HD towing capacity changes hands between the big three about every year as they make up new max towing capacity numbers that they can use in their commercials full of trucks blasting through puddles in slow motion. This will continue until SAE J2807 takes firm hold and automakers are forced to use a common standard for towing capacity.
This is the single most passionately discussed subject over on airforums.com. Until the day that SAE J2807 kicks in, towing capacity is total fantasy.

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 2, 2015, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by osiris View Post
Why this evil curse on the Mets?
Royals!!!!!!!!

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 3, 2015, 07:44 AM

Let me be your ruler, you can call me Queen Bee.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Nov 3, 2015, 01:56 PM

Queen /b/ ?

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Nov 3, 2015, 03:04 PM

What makes teflon stick to the pan?
If your knees bent the other way, what would a chair look like?

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Nov 3, 2015, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by BadKosh View Post
What makes teflon stick to the pan?
It's typically sprayed on then baked to cure.

Teflon® Application Overview | Intech Services

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Nov 3, 2015, 06:08 PM

I guess I should have put a "sarc" or something, as these were lines from an old Gallagher comedy LP.

I actually know about this as at work at NASA, and they played around with the early versions of it.

So, what WOULD a chair look like if your knee's bent the other way? I'm thinking something like a beanbag or such.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 3, 2015, 06:44 PM

They would look like they do now, only turned around, so you can sit with your chest against the "back" of it (your ass cheeks would be in front of you too, which is kind of weird).
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Nov 3, 2015, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by BadKosh View Post
I guess I should have put a "sarc" or something, as these were lines from an old Gallagher comedy LP.
Yes, it had a very "forwards from Grandma" feel.

mindwaves  (op)
Nov 3, 2015, 07:00 PM

Without a representative sample size, it's hard to make any valid conclusions. It could be a local phenomenon, it could be confirmation bias, or it could be the truth.

A cursory glance at the 2005 model year shows that Ford had the highest HD towing capacity, but that the diesel Rams are commanding about 30% more on the used market right now.

One of my current pet peeves is Chevy touting "highest V8 1/2-ton horsepower." Well of course, Ford uses a twin-turbo V6 in its top model and Ram has gone with the 3.0 Ecodiesel, so no one else is making a big V8 for their half ton. Added to that, peak horsepower doesn't matter at all in a truck, so it's a stupid thing to brag about. And while I'm ranting, remember to ignore every "truck of the year" award. They're typically only eligible to new models and with three manufacturers refreshing models every 3-4 years, everyone is guaranteed to win it at some point. I've got some momentum now, so why don't I bring up Ford's dumb "best selling truck for 3000 years" - Chevy and GMC trucks are counted separately, even though they're basically the same truck and are essentially interchangeable. Some years Chevy+GMC outsells Ford, some years it doesn't.
I saw another Dodge Ram 3500 towing 3 cars on a trailer today. I thought maybe it was due to Dodge, I am guessing, selling more diesel models than other manufacturers.

Yes, I can often hear GMC on the radio saying that their trucks were the longest lasting trucks on the market, and then you hear it say from the years 1997-2007, or something like that.

iMOTOR
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2015, 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by mindwaves View Post
I saw another Dodge Ram 3500 towing 3 cars on a trailer today.
Were they heading north on I-5? I think we're seeing the same trucks.

iMOTOR
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2015, 05:30 AM

it could be confirmation bias,
Somebody's been listening to NPR.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Nov 4, 2015, 04:27 PM

Not me. Just spending too much time in the PWL.

mindwaves  (op)
Nov 6, 2015, 10:16 AM

From The Walking Dead:

1) What happened to all of the new cars? They all seem to be driving junkers which always seem to be breaking down.

2) Why do they still fight the Walkers with short knives? Shouldn't they all be using swords or pitchforks or some homemade, longish weapon with a knife as a backup?

unicast reversepath
Forum Regular
Nov 6, 2015, 12:22 PM

What is the sound of one hand clapping,
and where the hell is the dharma body?

Snatch pebble from hand!
If you have Ghosts, you have Everything!

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 6, 2015, 01:30 PM

From The Walking Dead:

1) What happened to all of the new cars? They all seem to be driving junkers which always seem to be breaking down.

2) Why do they still fight the Walkers with short knives? Shouldn't they all be using swords or pitchforks or some homemade, longish weapon with a knife as a backup?
Is there some way to permanently take down a walker? I'm not familiar with the show.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 6, 2015, 01:48 PM

Decapitation or thoroughly burning them, preferably both. I can't explain why they don't use spears, shields, and machetes. A proper phalanx would decimate a horde of zombies. Screw cars, there have to be tanks left, with so many military bases around; fuel them, arm them, and go ape.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 6, 2015, 01:53 PM

Would spears or pikes bother them? They could just walk themselves down the shaft.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 6, 2015, 02:30 PM

My immediate thought is you want to immobilize them. Rebar to the knees

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 6, 2015, 02:53 PM

Maybe a flanged mace. My suggestions have reach issues, but I don't see zombies being dissuaded by pokey weapons, which is the category most weapons with reach fall into.

Perhaps one of those maces which are like a one-piece flail.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 6, 2015, 03:12 PM

You pin them down with the spear, keeping you out of range of their bite, then your shield mate decapitates them.

iMOTOR
Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2015, 05:35 PM

There's nothing like grown adults engaging in serious debate over how to immobilize zombies.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Nov 6, 2015, 06:01 PM

Halberds are the way to go with zombies.

mindwaves  (op)
Nov 10, 2015, 10:52 PM

Why do people care so much about their alma mater? I left mind in the dust long ago, while others proudly display their university logos everywhere.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 10, 2015, 11:23 PM

Why do people care so much about their alma mater? I left mind in the dust long ago, while others proudly display their university logos everywhere.
Same reason people care about their sports teams, locales, states, and country. It is something to define yourself by, identify yourself by, and to relate to other with.

mindwaves  (op)
Nov 12, 2015, 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by iMOTOR View Post
Were they heading north on I-5? I think we're seeing the same trucks.
Probably along the 215. May have been the same truck. I saw another Ram yesterday or the day before towing 3 Mercedes SUVs on a trailer on the 210.

mindwaves  (op)
Nov 12, 2015, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Same reason people care about their sports teams, locales, states, and country. It is something to define yourself by, identify yourself by, and to relate to other with.
Yes, I understand, but I don't understand why it is so strong that some people hold onto it forever.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 13, 2015, 12:10 AM

Yes, I understand, but I don't understand why it is so strong that some people hold onto it forever.
Good memories of school. Nostalgia.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 13, 2015, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants View Post
You pin them down with the spear, keeping you out of range of their bite, then your shield mate decapitates them.
I still say there's thinking outside the box which can go on here. Use zombie psychology/physiology to your advantage.

Right off the bat, wouldn't a pitchfork/trident be a better weapon for the shield bearer?

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 13, 2015, 01:06 PM

So, once a zombie is forked, isn't it a better strategy to go for the legs and stay away from its mouth? Decapatation just gets you close in to what you want to avoid the most. I'm assuming WD zombies infect you via bite.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 13, 2015, 03:38 PM

They can also infect with claws, if the wound is bad enough (and it's arguably more excruciating because the infection can take months to set in, rather than days). But yeah, pitchfork/spear, I was talking about a polearm in the general sense and should have been more specific.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 14, 2015, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Is there some way to permanently take down a walker? I'm not familiar with the show.
A bullet or deep stab wound to the brain seems to do the trick on the show.
Frankly I'm surprised we haven't seen a little more innovation along the lines of shields and armour and non-firearms.

Riot shields would seem to be the sort of thing you could find without having to look too hard. If you could find a suit of medieval armour you could pretty much lie down in the middle of a hoard and take a nap without any real danger. A polycarbonate equivalent would be sufficient to stop their bites and scratches. They are only human teeth and nails after all and their gums and fingers are rotting away.

I'd like to see some engineering expertise devoted to some systems of mass zombie removal. Should be easy enough to find and refurbish a couple of tanks from the nearest army base. Failing that I expect you could modify a combine harvester to drive into a crowd and mince them into fertiliser.

I thought about burning them but when they are at the gates I suspect they might set fire to your gates.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 14, 2015, 03:03 PM

I'd still be worried about them getting through the articulations. Would thick leather work?

It seems to me a lot of these ideas (heavy armor, formations) are going to sap away the mobility advantage of being alive.

Tanks are really meant for killing other tanks, and need lots of logistical support. Infantry fighting vehicles might be useful, though.

I see the appeal of riot shields and the like, but I feel the applications are limited. The point of a shield is to defend you while you hold a position, from someone who's trying to take a position. Zombies don't want to take a position, it's impossible to hold a non-fixed position against them... and why would you want to hold one against them if you have the option to retreat?

It's only going to be of (limited) use if you get boxed into a corner. You're zombie chow at that point anyway. Probably because you aren't taking advantage of your mobility, and filled up one of your hands with a defensive tool rather than an offensive one.

Or both.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 14, 2015, 03:13 PM

As mentioned earlier, a smaller and more maneuverable combine would work well.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 14, 2015, 03:22 PM

It wouldn't, though. The, whatever... choppy part isn't strong enough.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 14, 2015, 04:01 PM

Not in stock form, but that's nothing a welder, rebar, and some scrap steel couldn't cure.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 15, 2015, 08:25 AM

It would have to be significantly more than that, no?

The rotor not only needs to keep the choppy going through something significantly more resistant than grass, it needs to accommodate all the extra weight from the reinforcement.

So, you beef up the rotor, and all the linkages, and armor them.

Now you're front heavy, so you weigh down the back with armor.

Crap... I did mention your engine isn't running at peak efficiency because you're using grain alcohol as fuel, right?

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 15, 2015, 09:54 AM

I was thinking riot shield in one hand, weapon in the other.

Leather under the armour works. Or just chain mail would do the trick I guess. You don't need to be so mobile when you're zombie proof.

I think a decent quality harvester would go through mostly rotten zombie nearly as easily as it would grass. They don't seem to offer much resistance. Maybe you could mount the thresher bit from a combine on the front of a tank. I suggested tanks not for the guns but for the ability to crush zombies easily without risk of getting gummed up. Also being totally impenetrable to them.

What about acid based weapons? Anything that could dissolve brain matter should kill them. And unlike flamethrowers, you aren't wasting useful fuel.

Anyone else think it fortunate that no nuclear reactors went critical when the crews all died?
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Forum Links
Forum Rules