Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Questions that you always wanted to ask but were afraid to ask

Questions that you always wanted to ask but were afraid to ask (Page 5)
abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Jul 30, 2016, 12:43 PM

Which way do you wipe? I am a male and I wipe (sitting down) back->front.

I've heard of people standing up to wipe. That seems dumb to me. I also don't get why you'd reach around and wipe front to back if you're a guy. That seems like unnecessary contortions would be involved and then how would you know when a you're done?

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 30, 2016, 12:52 PM

Back and to the left.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 30, 2016, 02:38 PM

With water, bidets are awesome (TP just smears). Hose that sh*t away, literally!
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jul 31, 2016, 07:55 AM

I don't have a bidet so I use a Karcher pressure washer.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Ham Sandwich
Aug 1, 2016, 08:54 PM

Are we there yet?

Are we there yet?

Are we there yet?

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 2, 2016, 02:34 PM

What happens if I remove the "do not remove" tags on my furniture and mattress?
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Aug 2, 2016, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by osiris View Post
What happens if I remove the "do not remove" tags on my furniture and mattress?
The Omega Protocol will be initiated.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

mindwaves  (op)
Aug 3, 2016, 09:25 PM

Can anyone eat while wearing earbuds?

All I hear is my teeth crunching, my jaws moving, and various other noises. A complete turn off for me while eating, but sometimes I need to wear earbuds, for example when I am in my office eating lunch and listening to music/watching youtube.

P
Aug 4, 2016, 05:19 AM

I have more or less the same problem, though I find that earbuds with a slightly looser fit helps.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Thorzdad
Aug 4, 2016, 11:28 AM

WTF do people continue to put fake convertible tops on cars?

andi*pandi
Aug 4, 2016, 12:13 PM

Lots of cars used to have leather trim on top. I had a ford like that. No way it was ever confused for a convertible.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Aug 4, 2016, 12:29 PM

Vinyl roofs were a thing for a while. They used to signify the higher trim model aka baller edition.

Vinyls roofs aren't really a thing from the factory anymore, but some people still see it as a status symbol. The late Crown Vic and its brand companions are often seen with vinyl roofs.

Aftermarket companies can add them to any factory car. Here's one I spotted in the junkyard last month, complete with sick pinstriping.

andi*pandi
Aug 4, 2016, 12:53 PM

<sniff>
I loved this car. Well maybe not this exact one.

that aftermarket one looks kind of silly, like a bad paint job.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 4, 2016, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
WTF do people continue to put fake convertible tops on cars?
Disgusting and wrong. I love how the door openings are cut into the top on some of them.

Thorzdad
Aug 4, 2016, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Vinyl roofs were a thing for a while. They used to signify the higher trim model aka baller edition.
There's a world of difference, though, between the vinyl tops of yore and these faux convertible tops. Vinyl tops were designed-in and not intended to look like anything other than that. These fake drop-tops come complete with fake hardware like snaps and metal crossbars. It's a whole other animal.

andi*pandi
Aug 4, 2016, 01:56 PM

reported for not putting this in car thread.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 4, 2016, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
There's a world of difference, though, between the vinyl tops of yore and these faux convertible tops. Vinyl tops were designed-in and not intended to look like anything other than that. These fake drop-tops come complete with fake hardware like snaps and metal crossbars. It's a whole other animal.
very true. Vinyl has class, fake rag tops do not.

Thorzdad
Aug 4, 2016, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
reported for not putting this in car thread.
Perma-banned for harrasing a moderator.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 5, 2016, 09:51 AM

I didn't know anyone could be this dumb and/or pathetic...

(guy flies to China to meet a girl he never met and nearly dies waiting)

Saddest Bastard You&#39;ve Ever Seen Almost Dies Waiting 10 Days In Airport For Internet Girlfriend

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 6, 2016, 02:33 AM

^^ Mega catfished. Poor guy.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 6, 2016, 02:42 AM

Are you supposed to wear a backpack high up on your shoulders, or let it droop?

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Aug 6, 2016, 11:47 AM

High. Like european students do.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Aug 6, 2016, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by osiris View Post
I didn't know anyone could be this dumb and/or pathetic...

(guy flies to China to meet a girl he never met and nearly dies waiting)

Saddest Bastard You&#39;ve Ever Seen Almost Dies Waiting 10 Days In Airport For Internet Girlfriend

Those glamorous 20something stock photo girls do seem to go for sad lonely western types. Usually they seem to go for fatter/sweatier guys than this though.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

Ham Sandwich
Aug 7, 2016, 12:14 PM

Look at those cars...

oops I mean,

Why do the birds keep going after the bright-colored cars?

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 7, 2016, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
High. Like european students do.
And am I correct in inferring the way to do this is to make the straps crazy-tight?

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Aug 7, 2016, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
And am I correct in inferring the way to do this is to make the straps crazy-tight?
They are pretty tight. You typically hold the end and slide the plastic doodad up towards your shoulder on each one.

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 7, 2016, 06:42 PM

I'm at maximum doodad slide.

What are your thoughts when you see a droopy backpack?

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Aug 7, 2016, 09:15 PM

I'm at maximum doodad slide.

What are your thoughts when you see a droopy backpack?
When I used one last it was utterly uncool to use both straps. You slung the bag over one shoulder and risked injury.

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 8, 2016, 02:27 AM

Not gonna happen. Too many pre-existing injuries. Wow. Much pain.

mindwaves  (op)
Aug 8, 2016, 03:07 AM

When I used one last it was utterly uncool to use both straps. You slung the bag over one shoulder and risked injury.
When I was in college, I saw a nerdy looking girl do just that. Her backpack was large and I would imagine pretty heavy also, but she just did the one shoulder thing every day. Always wondered why. It certainly wasn't to look cool.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 8, 2016, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by Doc HM View Post
Those glamorous 20something stock photo girls do seem to go for sad lonely western types. Usually they seem to go for fatter/sweatier guys than this though.
well, he is a catch...

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Aug 8, 2016, 10:36 AM

21 Jump Street makes fun of this.

Ham Sandwich
Aug 11, 2016, 11:06 AM

What will be featured in the Google Belt?

And the Google Coat?

Start guessing.

MacGirl80
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 11, 2016, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by And.reg View Post
Look at those cars...

oops I mean,

Why do the birds keep going after the bright-colored cars?
They confuse the shininess with water, and are programmed to sh*t over water to cover their tracks from predators.

Either that or they hate you and are messing with your head.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Aug 11, 2016, 11:27 AM

Grappling hook.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Aug 12, 2016, 05:50 AM

And the Google Coat?

Start guessing.
Can of Bat Shark repellant

Ham Sandwich
Aug 12, 2016, 11:52 AM

How is it possible for guys to still have nocturnal emissions well into their 30s? How do they manage on things like camping trips or sleepovers?

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 12, 2016, 11:52 AM

This one trick...

mindwaves  (op)
Aug 14, 2016, 06:34 PM

I am transitioning from shipping at Gap to H&M. I have never bought long pants from HM before, only shirts. I went there to buy long pants and could only find them in skinny and slim styles. Why? I'm not skinny enough to fit in one of those comfortably and I'm not that fat either. Some regular fit jeans would fit me just fine. And even if I was that skinny enough, I wouldn't want something that clings to my skin.

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 14, 2016, 06:41 PM

Gap Boot Cut FTW.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Aug 15, 2016, 09:38 AM

Nocturnal emission catcher.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Aug 15, 2016, 09:43 AM

Bravo.

mindwaves  (op)
Aug 23, 2016, 07:54 PM

With regards to the Louisiana flooding, why would anyone live in that general area? That place and the surrounding areas flood practically every year (and if not, then at least with enough frequency) that would make me, as a homeowner, to not even consider living there, or to live somewhere near there but in a higher elevation.

Yes, cost is a concern, but there are plenty of other cheap spots in the US with no such issues.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Aug 24, 2016, 09:28 AM

I have a friend in the affected area, here's what he wrote about it:

It's been a stressful week, to say the least. The water is receding now everywhere, but rivers are all still at their major flooding stage, and even the slightest rain shower threatens people again. On Thursday, we had a little 10 minute piss ant shower - the typical afternoon summer shower that occurs anywhere. That 10 minutes of rain negated the previous 24 hours of river fall. It's that sensitive. We need a good dry week or two now.

Some neighborhoods look like war zones with the debris piled up at the street. Others (like mine) have only a few homes that got minimal water in them and its not as bad. You can start to see the stress taking its toll on people now. They are wrestling the inevitable thoughts. The fact that at best, they have months to go before it's right again. They will be living in a mess every day for the foreseeable future. The ones without flood insurance (75%) are stressed on a much higher level. They have to accept the reality of the $10,000 - $100,000 (or even more) problem before them with no resources.

This is primal now. The basic needs of humans are food, clothing, and shelter. One of their basic needs is in jeopardy.

But this is not like Hurricane Katrina here. It's hard to explain, but Louisiana has three distinctive culture. The Cajun people are very (VERY) resilient. They are very willing *compelled even) to help their neighbor in times of need. Unlike the images you may remember of Katrina, where the people of New Orleans sat on the front porch and cried "why me?", the Cajun people are do-ers. Within hours (even minutes) of the rain stopping, people were rolling up sleeves, ripping out carpet and flooring, tearing sheet rock down, pulling insulation. These people, even the white collar people, can do for themselves. And if they haven't done it before, they are not afraid to try. I've seen lawyers, accountants, professors, and even medical professionals with blisters on their hands.

I've witnessed this resiliency all my life here. I've long thought about where such a common trait among people comes from. Truthfully, I think it comes from our origins. When the Acadian people were exiled from what is now Canada by the British in the 1760s, no one would have them. They continued south until the French gave them a shot. It wasn't much of a chance, but at least it was something. The French stuck them in the swamps and prairies of southwest Louisiana. I can only imagine the challenges with the mosquitos and land. It seems to me that the only way for them to survive was to humble themselves and help each other unconditionally. Join talents for the greater good. Parents pass their experience and knowledge to their children, and I believe that has some bearing on how we are now.

The problem now is that the inevitable is rapidly approaching us. The cost and skill it takes to tear the house down and dry out the walls is minimal. But homes are getting dry and now it is time to pour money on it. Herein lies my current frustration. If the President would rather play golf this weekend than come down and see how bad it is here, I'm perfectly fine with that. Quite frankly, it would take 100 police officers (or more) to secure the President's visit, and that takes 100 1st responders away from helping other people that desperately need it. These are all hard working people that pay taxes. A LOT OF TAXES!!!! Federal taxes, state taxes, local taxes, fees, permits, and anything else you can think of to support our government and way of life.

To be clear, these people are not looking for a handout. Far be it for anyone to actually throw these people a bone. FEMA will eventually give them a paltry grant that will go about as far as a fart in the wind. It will be an insult and it will leave them even more bitter than before. It will make them feel exiled, ironic to be sure.

What the President needs to do is call the FEMA Director and tell him to do his ****ING JOB!!!! Release the low interest loan program and get the ****ING BANKS MOVING!!!!! Every bank in this country is so fat with cash right now it's not even funny. The low interest rates we have experienced for years have done this. The banks are all ready to loan BILLIONS of dollars to these people to help them rebuild. Without this, our people will be forced to take out 2nd mortgages (if even possible, the real estate values have plummeted by the event and the market). Or maybe they will take from retirements, 401Ks, savings, college savings accounts, or the like. Maybe they will max their credit cards, which will make the cost for them double. Payday loans. Shit - some may even stand on the corner for all I know. The ripple down effect of this is enormous. For every dollar people waste (in unnecessary interest) on the recovery, that's a dollar that is out of the community. Businesses will be affected. Long term - retirements will be postponed or abandoned.

But it's primal now - they have to have the money to meet their basic needs and they will do whatever it takes.

I know that some of this has be placed on the victims. They built on a flood plain and didn't buy flood insurance. I get that. But before anyone passes judgment,, consider the countless mistakes humanity has made over the centuries. When seat belts were made available in cars, how many pushed them under the seat? We've known that smoking is bad for you for decades, yet 24% of us still do it.

Rest assured - more will listen to my advice and get flood insurance now. Many will raise their homes above the flood stage to prevent it from happening again. But that is a conversation for tomorrow. Today, the house is exposed and we need some help.

For me, it's been a sea of emotions. I had some Survivor's Guilt earlier this week, but I'm trying to channel that energy into something productive. I learned quickly that if I use my brain instead of my back, I can help more people. I have 20 years experience with insurance claims, many of them flooding claims. I know technically what people need to do and I have instrumentation that can help them. So I run from house to house - checking on each friend, co-worker, neighbor, etc. Checking moisture in the studs. Checking on next steps. Checking on documentation and insurance proceedings. Checking to make sure they are all right. I call them in advance and see if they need anything. It's no big deal to stop at Lowes and pickup $25 worth of "__________" - whatever they need. Its my gift to them and its the least I can do. My wife is doing what she can. Washing clothes, delivering food, helping move trash to the street. Or maybe just lend an ear to listen to someone that is hurting, and have a good cry together.

Enough dribble. Time to go to work. Thank you for letting me vent.

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 24, 2016, 11:11 AM

This doesn't really address the why, so I'm going to throw out a guess.

Flood plains are the primo pieces of agricultural real estate. Silt is plant food, and floods handily deposit it where it can get used. Think Egypt.

If overflooding is rare enough, at some point it makes more economic sense to rebuild every now and then rather keep everybody on high ground.

As was mentioned in the post, some people just build their houses on stilts.

P
Aug 24, 2016, 01:09 PM

There is also the fact that these days we try to prevent the moderate seasonal flooding with dams, which stops the influx of silt. Over time, the land level drops, making the big floods that much worse. I don't know the details of the situation in Lousiana, though.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 24, 2016, 01:48 PM

And it should be noted I'm far more familiar with inland river flooding. Pretty sure the problem in Louisiana isn't caused by snow melt.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Aug 24, 2016, 02:25 PM

This doesn't really address the why, so I'm going to throw out a guess.
I'd also be interested in a discussion of why 75% of them don't have flood insurance. You. Live. On. A. Flood. Plain.

andi*pandi
Aug 24, 2016, 03:13 PM

Expensive.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Aug 25, 2016, 03:09 AM

And it should be noted I'm far more familiar with inland river flooding. Pretty sure the problem in Louisiana isn't caused by snow melt.
With rivers every stage of the rivers course is an important link in the chain of flooding (and flood control). Here in the UK decades of government subsidies have encouraged (almost forced) farmers further upstream to cut down trees and use sloping land for grazing. To such an extent that so much more rainwater flows into the river system that downstream flooding in an inevitability.

The increased flooding then gets pinned on global warming.

Trees absorb huge amounts of rainwater apparently. Who knew?

Forum Links
Forum Rules