Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > The Minor Irritant Thread

The Minor Irritant Thread (Page 10)
Thorzdad
Aug 26, 2020, 04:47 PM

Yeah. Progressive bifocals. Been wearing them for ages now. Once you get used to them, they're great. When you first get progressives, though, things like walking down stairs can be disconcerting. You have to learn where the focus is for different distances. It sounds daunting, but it's amazing how quickly you learn.

I always have my lenses done through my optometrist's office because it's the script is funky and I'm pretty picky about it. Oddly, this time one eye had actually improved a bit. It had been six years since I had the last lenses made, so there's a bit of a sudden difference.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 28, 2020, 06:34 PM

Shake came with a biodegradable straw.

Total disaster. Degradation began while in use. The points from the “+” hole in the lid slowly but surely cut the straw in half. It also gets kinda mushy in your mouth.

Admittedly, the lid was pretty thick, so the hole-spikes were unusually stiff.

Good shake, tho. Cookies and cream.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 30, 2020, 10:29 AM

Bifocals, and progressives in particular are a problem when you’re moving around. The “reading” prescription makes it harder to navigate steps, ramps and all sorts of other things. And trifocals are MUCH worse.

My wife could wear bifocals, though her reading prescription is really almost nothing. But the distance prescription makes the transition to looking down more than awkward. So she wears single-vision glasses until she sits down to read, and then takes them off.

My personal irritant related to this is that I had PRK (photorefractive keratotomy, not Peoples’ Republic ) surgery in 2001, and my “regular vision” is still 20/16 to 20/18. But I started to need reading glasses a few years later. I did the laser surgery to get away from glasses... At least my wife says the readers make me look “distinguished.” (I think that’s a nice way of saying “old,” but that’s beside the point.)

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Thorzdad
Aug 30, 2020, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Bifocals, and progressives in particular are a problem when you’re moving around. The “reading” prescription makes it harder to navigate steps, ramps and all sorts of other things. And trifocals are MUCH worse.
There’s definitely a learning curve with progressives, but you get accustomed to things fairly quickly. One key detail when getting progressives is to get a frame with a reasonably large lens area. The narrower the lens, the more compacted the progression, making the focal areas smaller and closer together.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 30, 2020, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post

My wife could wear bifocals, though her reading prescription is really almost nothing. But the distance prescription makes the transition to looking down more than awkward. So she wears single-vision glasses until she sits down to read, and then takes them off.

My personal irritant related to this is that I had PRK (photorefractive keratotomy, not Peoples’ Republic ) surgery in 2001, and my “regular vision” is still 20/16 to 20/18. But I started to need reading glasses a few years later. I did the laser surgery to get away from glasses... At least my wife says the readers make me look “distinguished.” (I think that’s a nice way of saying “old,” but that’s beside the point.)
I’m sensing a real problem with my use case: Stage use, where I need to be able to read synth displays at a fair distance looking downwards, iPad and laptop screens at various angles, distances, and heights, yet look easily at audience and other band members for cues and signals. Also keeping a good look at stairways and gear in semi-dark as I run around stage during a show.

reader50
Administrator
Aug 30, 2020, 06:39 PM

@Spheric, perhaps they can make progressives with the bands in non-traditional order. Like a far-sight band on the bottom, for seeing distant objects below you. You could have a special pair made, for stage use.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 30, 2020, 09:15 PM

Siri: Would you like to hear your disabled alarms?

No. No I don’t. I never want to hear that.

Nobody has ever wanted to hear that.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 7, 2020, 05:43 PM

While “tucking” isn’t what I want to say either, autocorrect, at least it’s ducking new.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 14, 2020, 03:47 PM

Waze shit the bed and couldn’t give me directions, yet somehow had no problem serving ads.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 14, 2020, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
@Spheric, perhaps they can make progressives with the bands in non-traditional order. Like a far-sight band on the bottom, for seeing distant objects below you. You could have a special pair made, for stage use.
That sounds like it would be even more insanely expensive than bifocals are already... I’ll look into that when the time comes.

Thanks!

mindwaves
Sep 15, 2020, 04:49 PM

Bought my first ever pair of prescription sunglasses at Costco today. Can't wait. I went to another store and they said that they couldn't do prescription sunglasses and recommended me to buy a normal pair of glasses and to tint the lenses, which was weird to me. I went to Costco instead and had them done my way.

Thorzdad
Sep 15, 2020, 06:11 PM

I did the prescription sunglasses thing ages ago. It became a real PITA to have to carry both sets of glasses around with me, ‘cause it was a rare day that I spent 100% of my time outdoors. As lame and old-dude as it looks, I’ve never found anything more convenient and easy to deal with than clip-ons.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 16, 2020, 03:25 AM

Been using prescription sunglasses for ages. Clip-ons tend to look like shit unless they're part of the spectacles' design, plus they add extra diffraction at the expense of optical quality.

My first pair of prescription shades was Maui Jim. Wow. Amazing optical glass. Still the best I've ever had.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 16, 2020, 03:30 PM

The tollway authority shut off automatic replenishment of my transponder, and didn’t tell me.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Sep 16, 2020, 03:50 PM

More like i-don't-pass?

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 16, 2020, 04:56 PM

I feel like the idea was I-pass-but-with-huge-fine.

Thankfully, they foiled their own plan with the signals at the ramp tolls. The usual blue light switched fo yellow, so I knew something was up.

Thorzdad
Sep 24, 2020, 04:16 PM

There’s an ad that pops-up on Pandora for Starbucks cold brew in a can. Every time it plays, it triggers Siri on my iPad. There’s a line at the end of the ad about it being available at the grocery. I think the way the narrator pronounces the “cery” part of grocery is what triggers Siri. He speaks it sort of like grow-SIRI.

mindwaves
Sep 24, 2020, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by mindwaves View Post
Bought my first ever pair of prescription sunglasses at Costco today. Can't wait. I went to another store and they said that they couldn't do prescription sunglasses and recommended me to buy a normal pair of glasses and to tint the lenses, which was weird to me. I went to Costco instead and had them done my way.
I went to pick them up and they looked nice. I tilted my head down and the glasses came off easily. The guy said need to adjust the frames and pointed to some machine to be used. He popped the lenses out and I saw one of them was slightly broken on the edge. He saw it also and claimed that the lens guy broke it and it was out of the ordinary. But I’m pretty sure he broke it when he popped it out. Have to wait another seven days now for a repair.

Thorzdad
Oct 2, 2020, 11:18 AM

Why I didn't know this already, I have no clue...Apparently, if you're at Facebook in a browser on a mobile device, you absolutely cannot PM anyone unless you use the Messenger app. I refuse to install any FB app of any flavor, of course.

mindwaves
Oct 5, 2020, 04:52 AM

Got my sunglasses and they are fine. Had the guy tighten them but they are still a bit loose. Any suggestions? These don't have the rubber nose pads like regular glasses have; they just have a plastic bridge that is part of the frame itself. I bought some thin, clear, sticky plastic thing to cut and tape to the bridge and see how that goes.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 8, 2020, 01:55 AM

Took 7 months, but my coronabeard has broken FaceID.

andi*pandi
Oct 8, 2020, 05:27 PM

I think they make foam nose pieces for plastic glasses, mindwaves. Which are basically tiny bits of foam on double-stick tape, so yeah.

faceID: bringing back touchID, one beard at a time.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 24, 2020, 08:57 AM

It’s possible my phone may have just needed a reboot, but since I got rid of most of my beard, I’ll never know for sure.

In other iDevice irritation, sometimes when I put two hands on my iPad, the Lightning port shorts, and my iPad starts “charging”.

reader50
Administrator
Oct 24, 2020, 12:07 PM

If it actually charges when you place both hands on it, there are two possibilities.

1) You have an enormously valuable iPad. Accidentally able to charge from vacuum energy or something.

2) Or it's you. Have you tried placing your hands on sick people?

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 24, 2020, 03:44 PM

Well... that’s why I put charging in quotes. Turns out I don’t have enough amperage to charge, just enough to trip the connection monitor built into the Lightning hardware.

It immediately drops out of charging mode, but I’m still shorting the monitor, so it goes back into charging mode, then drops again.

This happens over and over in rapid succession until I remove one hand.

MacNNFamous
Senior User
Oct 27, 2020, 03:04 PM

Cut up some serranos for breakfast (eggs, hash, snausage). Delicious.

Rubbed my eyes a few hours later. Mistake.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Oct 28, 2020, 04:35 PM

Google's irritating me lately.

It does not present search results that include the words I've typed. For a while it seemed it would look for similar words, like if I searched for "weight" it would find results that included "mass." But lately I feel like it's showing results that are kind of similar to what I'm searching for, but not limiting it to the actual words I searched for, so I get a bunch of tangentially-related results but nothing that actually answers my question.

mindwaves
Oct 29, 2020, 03:05 AM

Got my first smartwatch, an Apple watch series 6 in blue with a blue band. It is nice and I turned off all of what I would consider as being silly features or minor irritants, such as breathing and standing reminders, hand washing stuff, turned of all notifications, O2 sensing, and other things.

I just use it as a watch first and foremost. I do have some complications on my watch which makes it nice.

Thorzdad
Oct 29, 2020, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post

It does not present search results that include the words I've typed. For a while it seemed it would look for similar words, like if I searched for "weight" it would find results that included "mass." But lately I feel like it's showing results that are kind of similar to what I'm searching for, but not limiting it to the actual words I searched for, so I get a bunch of tangentially-related results but nothing that actually answers my question.
Silly human. Google knows better than you what you really want. All hail algorithm!

reader50
Administrator
Oct 29, 2020, 04:46 PM

Bait and Switch attack from Customer Service.

Walk into any store. Ask for something not stocked on shelf. "Why do you need that?"

Customer: be polite. Satisfy their curiosity, and they'll nod with understanding. "That makes sense. Hang on, I'll get it from the stock room. Back in two minutes - I just need to grab the ladder".

Actual result: they're asking for your reasons, so they can attack your reasons. To convince you you're dumb. You don't actually need the unusual item, you don't understand your own needs, and should buy the shelf products to make everyone's life easier. Prepare to spend the next 10-30 minutes defending your situation, analysis, life choices, etc.

Eventually, they may grudgingly admit you probably need the unusual item. But they don't have it in the back room, and may not even know where to order it. Meaning they wasted your time, their time, and enormously frustrated a potential customer.

Note that CS Bait & Switch works over the phone too. Budget lots of time before calling for something unusual. Remember how stupid you are compared to them, and how many questions you'll have to answer.

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 29, 2020, 05:05 PM

Connected to reader’s irritant: “Your web site says you have 8 of <this product>, and it’s in section A5 of row 14. I’m looking right at A5 on row 14, and you don’t even have a shelf tag for it. What’s up?”

The nice sales drone admits that their web site and their actual inventory aren’t always equal. But he does not address how there’s no shelf tag for the product. So I give him his store’s SKU, the UPC, and the manufacturer’s part number, and he consults his Borgified iPhone... Ah. That product IS in store, but (you can see it coming, right) “we just reorganized products like this one, so it’s stocked on row 33, section B9.”

As he turns to escape, I block his retreat: “Please show me where row 33, section B9 is, because some of your row signs are blocked by lights and stuff.” He’s trapped now.

Sales drone leads me to row 33 and B9. There is indeed a shelf tag for <this product>. But it’s empty.

“I need to get a manager. It’s supposed to be here.” The poor guy was honestly embarrassed now. As it turned out, their “plan-o-gram” had actually been changed over the last several days, but <this product> was still up in the “back stock” stuff on top of the shelves. On row 14.

Positives: I got my product at the price quoted online, with what seemed like an honest and sincere apology by the department manager. Negatives: I had to stand around (in this case at a big-box home improvement store) for an extra 30+ minutes with tons of not-too-socially-distant folks wandering around...

I quote Reagan: “Trust but verify.” Do not believe what a big-box store’s web site says about their inventory. Since then my plan is to go directly to Customer Service and start with “your web site says...”

andi*pandi
Oct 29, 2020, 06:45 PM

I've been burned a few times by online ordering with store pickup only to have the order cancelled. I'm looking at you, Best Buy. Likely someone was wandering around the store with it before they got to checkout.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 30, 2020, 04:04 PM

This! Not that I use Google services besides YouTube. I switched to DuckDuckGo years ago for privacy concerns but I'll do a Google search every so often if I can't find what I'm looking for with DDG. And I've found that for YEARS now search engines in general ... Google, DDG, Bing, etc .... routinely ignore what I type resulting in me having to wade through crappy search results. Google's "verbatim" mode stopped working forever ago. I have no idea why it's still even an option. Even putting your search keywords in quotes or using the AND operator just gets ignored. For instance, quite literally NONE of these queries returns only those webpages with both terms present on any major search engine:

cats dogs
"cats" "dogs"
cats AND dogs
"cats" AND "dogs"

Every ... single ... one of them includes tons of webpages that only contain one keyword OR the other. Precisely the opposite of what I asked for. There's typically no appreciable difference from using quotes and operators. Even if I search for a specific phrase like "how now brown cow" I still get inundated with results that only contain the word "cow". With their algorithms they all too often try to be too clever by half and give you what they think you want as opposed to what you actually typed. It also appears that they are of the mindset that a user seeing "No results found" is a bad thing. And for average users that may be a good default behavior. But quotes and logical operators need to be respected when entered. Because IMO "No results found" is actually useful information. It's either going to prompt me to alter my search or prevent me from wasting my time wading through irrelevant search results.

OAW

mindwaves
Nov 5, 2020, 08:17 PM

iOS most annoying feature is when you plug in your iPhone to be charged and then tap the screen to check the date and all it shows is the battery percentage and not the date. Wait a bit and then the date shows in the same area as the battery percentage. I don't get why both cannot be displayed at the same time. I often tap the screen to check the date, not the battery percentage.

Thorzdad
Nov 6, 2020, 07:01 AM

On my phone, it does all that, but the charging percentage is also persistent in the upper right corner (the little battery icon) Do you not have that enabled?

Thorzdad
Nov 7, 2020, 11:28 AM

Got my second shingles vaccination yesterday. I didn’t have any problems with the first one beyond some very mild soreness that lasted most of the day. This second one, though, is whole other experience. For one, the injection spot feels like someone hit my arm with a hammer. There’s no redness, but it hurts like a mother. There’s also this constant, painful headache now. Like, my entire head hurts. Kept me up all night. The usual pills don’t seem to touch it.

Being old sucks.

mindwaves
Nov 9, 2020, 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
On my phone, it does all that, but the charging percentage is also persistent in the upper right corner (the little battery icon) Do you not have that enabled?
Oh, I do, but I often tap on my phone to see the date and not the charging status. I tap it once and I see the charging status (which I want sometimes) and then 1.5 seconds later, the date appears (which I often want more) where the charging status was.

I just want the date and charging status to appear on 2 separate lines.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 26, 2020, 08:49 AM

Winter solstice.

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 26, 2020, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Winter solstice.
How is the solstice annoying? The “sunset at mid afternoon” part, or something else?

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 26, 2020, 01:01 PM

Sunset in mid-afternoon, though I’m always looking over my shoulder for pagans.

Thorzdad
Dec 4, 2020, 10:07 AM

My iPhone has started asking for my Apple ID login every couple of days, for no apparent reason. Which invokes 2FA, which means I have to run upstairs to get my iPad to get the code Apple sends me to enter into my phone. It'll go through this dance every few months, out of the blue. This all started right after I finally activated 2FA on my account. I've half a mind to deactivate 2FA.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Dec 4, 2020, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
I've half a mind to deactivate 2FA.
I have an inkling thats not an option...
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Brien
Professional Poster
Dec 4, 2020, 07:32 PM

I believe 2FA has been mandatory since last year but I concur it’s a PITA. My work forces us to use Yubikeys now which are an even bigger PITA; I pray that never becomes the standard elsewhere.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Dec 14, 2020, 05:26 PM

Every time I launch Autodesk Inventor I have to reverse the scroll-to-zoom function. Every. Single. Time.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 17, 2020, 11:11 AM

I have to say, this has suddenly started happening with almost all search engines, commercial ones in particular.

Companies hate regulation and red tape—but they really do it to themselves. It seems ludicrous that some regulator is going to have to take action about friggin search engines showing people only the things that make the search company the most money.
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Dec 17, 2020, 12:33 PM

Today I did a Google search on my phone for "tablet charging station." The first FOUR RESULTS WERE ADS. Then it gave me four real results, then a section for products it suggests (likely sponsored?) then two more results, then a map with nearby stores (also likely sponsored?) then a "People ask" section with unrelated questions from dumb people, then a section of videos (wtf), then one more result, then a section of reviews, then a suggestion to refine my search by type, then a single additional result, then a selection of images, then 1 more result, then related searches, end of first page.

Seven total actual results for my search on that first page, and four explicit ads, a plethora of links to sponsored products, videos, and stores, and a bunch of unrelated links to answers to questions I didn't ask.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Dec 18, 2020, 01:24 PM

After well over a decade of literally zero spam getting through to me via Gmail, in the last year or so I've been steadily getting more and more spam, to where I'm getting 1-2 per day on an account where I only get 5-10 emails a day total. I report them as spam every time but it just seems like they keep coming. Are spammers suddenly able to outsmart Google? Or is Google loosening their spam restrictions in preparation for offering a paid tier of Gmail where they actually filter all spam? </TinFoilHat>

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 19, 2020, 07:35 PM

Today I did a Google search on my phone for "tablet charging station. The first FOUR RESULTS WERE ADS.
In Google America, tablet charge you.

Demonhood
Administrator
Dec 19, 2020, 08:09 PM

I switched to DuckDuckGo as my default two months ago and haven't missed google one bit.

reader50
Administrator
Dec 19, 2020, 10:27 PM

I've been on DuckDuckGo for a couple years now. However, I do run the occasional thing past Google. When DDG doesn't find useful results.

Google's been getting more evil despite their motto. But their search algorithms are superior in my experience.

Forum Links
Forum Rules