Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Coffee Talk

Coffee Talk (Page 3)
andi*pandi
Apr 7, 2020, 01:09 PM

I'm down to using the instant ice tea mix from the back of the cupboard. :brrr:

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Apr 11, 2020, 09:41 PM

Tried Illy this time. I don’t think it’s ground properly for a drip, but still better than the Bux brand.

Thorzdad
Apr 11, 2020, 11:01 PM

Too fine? The only Illy I’ve ever seen/tried was an espresso grind, which is definitely not good for drip.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Apr 11, 2020, 11:33 PM

Yup!

Still turned out tastier though.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 12, 2020, 12:40 AM

Yeah, Illy’s not bad. Used it for espresso. I think Thorzdad is right that their pre-ground coffee is more suited for espresso.

You can buy Illy’s whole bean, and grind it yourself.
In general, getting a good grinder (burr grinders), and grinding whole beans when you need it will improve your coffee greatly.

-t

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Apr 12, 2020, 01:07 AM

If it was at any time other than the apocalypse, that’s what I would have done by this point.

I’m being kind of insane when it comes to isolation, and Amazon is still on the no-fly list.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 12, 2020, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
I’m being kind of insane when it comes to isolation, and Amazon is still on the no-fly list.
I’m still ordering from Amazon, but when packages arrive, I kick them into my mood room, and let them sit for three days untouched.
As far as I understand, the virus can’t survive long on porous surfaces like cardboard.
The only thing I’d be careful about is plastic packaging inside. But after a few days (incl. 2 days shipping), the odds are small that a “live” virus is still on it.

-t

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Apr 12, 2020, 08:24 PM

That’s a good system, and sooner or later I’m sure I’ll give in, just nothing has crossed the threshold of “essentiality”.

Right now, if I could only order up one thing, I’d stick with the improperly ground coffee and get a hard drive enclosure.

If I could get another thing it’d be a full-size controller for the Switch.

Edit: actually just decided the enclosure was essential. Looked at a hand crank burr grinder, but those get the slow boat treatment, and wouldn’t arrive until May.

Got the controller.
( Last edited by subego; Apr 13, 2020 at 12:59 AM. )

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 13, 2020, 01:32 PM

I’m sharing this here - and elsewhere - to help others with the “is it safe to get stuff <in the mail><from Amazon><delivered by drones><etc>” issues.
An Infectious Disease MD and PhD in biochemistry explains relative risk - and why it’s not as bad as some people fear.

Takeaway for the delivery issues: in most situations, the COVID virus will die off in a matter of hours, faster in direct sunlight, and faster in dry, warm conditions than cool, damp conditions. So the three day wait may be overkill if your packages are in a warm, dry place, and definitely if they’re exposed to sunlight for a matter of hours.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Apr 15, 2020, 10:03 AM

Overkill is my favorite kind of kill.

Polished off the Illy, and next up is Kicking Horse brand. Even though it’s ground properly, I like the Illy a touch more. Not as bitter.

It’s the dark roast. I tried to get medium, which I may like better, but they were out.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Apr 24, 2020, 11:48 PM

Peet’s Big Bang medium roast: meh... prefer the Kicking Horse.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Apr 30, 2020, 04:58 AM

I think coffee started giving me heartburn. What a disaster.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 10, 2020, 08:39 AM

Heartburn seemed transient.

Finished the Peet’s and went back to the Kicking Horse. Now I prefer the Peet’s.

Walked by Intelligentsia today, and it’s still functioning. I may give up and start back there again.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 16, 2020, 07:02 PM

Still can’t get anything other than a dark roast to save my life, but I like the Kicking Horse 454 Horse Power more than their Kick Ass.

ghporter
Administrator
May 17, 2020, 05:20 PM

For a long time we'd been Gevalia subscribers, and gosh that was good coffee. But we moved to buying it from the grocery store once they started selling it that way. Lately it's been harder to find anything but their (good but strong) French roast or their Breakfast Blend, a good coffee, but not a stand out. So we've been buying other stuff as well.

We had several small bags of a variety of blends on the shelf - gifts from one family member or another. We've been grinding that stuff one bag at a time (about 6 to 8 cups worth), and alternating them with Trader Joe's Dark Roast. It's a nice change-up, especially on early mornings.

I'm about to open a package of Black Rifle Coffee's AK blend. It's supposed to be a medium Espresso roast, blended from light Colombian and dark Brazilian beans, with some interesting commentary about the various flavor notes the blend features. Whatever you may think about their marketing angle, it's a good company, built and run by veterans who have made it their mission to produce some stand-out coffees. We met one of their reps around Christmas time, and sales pitch aside, I'm impressed by the way this company has built itself. I'm looking forward to tasting that stuff.

Another brand, Scars and Stripes Coffee, sounds similar, but it's less an enterprise and more a "veterans helping veterans" thing. My wife met some of their folks at a veterans' get-together a while back. Where Black Rifle Coffee is a company that roasts and sells coffee, Scars and Stripes Coffee is a bunch of veterans helping other veterans take charge of their lives in a positive way. (That sounds sappy, but honestly, after you've given your all to keep yourself and your buddies alive for month after month after month, a regular 9-5 job with the kind of trivial boss-type BS involved in staying employed is pretty challenging to stick with...)

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 17, 2020, 05:35 PM

Maybe I’ll give Gevalia another try, but I thought the bag I got (I think the Breakfast Blend) was awful.

Brien
Professional Poster
May 17, 2020, 09:45 PM

I stick super local but may need to try those out.

That $45 bag of kona though.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 23, 2020, 11:13 AM

Walked by my local place. They’ve converted the part where the front windows open into street facing counters. I’ll probably go back once I run out of my current supply.

ghporter
Administrator
May 24, 2020, 05:24 PM

Gevalia’s Breakfast Blend is pretty bland. Their French Roast is pretty robust, with lots of depth.

We tried the Black Rifle AK beans. Bueno... It’s mild and yet full-flavored. They recommend brewing it espresso-style, but a slow pour over, with only enough water added at a time to keep the grounds dripping produces a great tasting brew.

And since we like to only grind a little at a time, I need to grind some more...we drank up what we already had ground.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 29, 2020, 12:14 PM

Went on a cream run, and picked some real coffee on the way back. Holy crap in a nun’s pants... I missed this.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jun 18, 2020, 08:34 AM

We ditched our Keurig a while back and went to buying grounds and doing a French press. Wife likes it a lot better, but we're looking for easier cleanup. She mentioned being interested in pour-over, and her birthday is next week so I figured I could pick something up for her. I'm stuck between permanent and paper filters - one of the reason we stopped using the Keurig was to reduce waste, so it'd be a bit weird going back to disposable filters. On the other hand, if the goal is to reduce cleanup time and effort, a pour-over with a steel mesh filter isn't really going to be any better than cleaning out the French press.

All of that aside, is there a tool or system that's basically foolproof? We're not looking to put in the effort for four successive pours over 3 minutes to perfectly imbue the coffee with the most delicate of aromas and flavors - we have a 190 degree tap on the sink and the goal would be to pour, drip, and drink, then easy cleanup.

Thorzdad
Jun 18, 2020, 10:39 AM

I use one of these things to do my morning pourovers. It does an acceptable job. It's not going to be the same as a barista-sweated-over pourover, but the results are pretty similar. It definitely depends on the beans.

You still have to deal with the used grounds, of course. Being just a simple cone, it's not as big a PITA to clean as a french press, though. You pretty much dump the grounds and rinse it out. Occasionally, toss it in the dishwasher just to get it really clean.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jun 18, 2020, 10:51 AM

My other consideration is that we'll be pouring into it from a fixed tap instead of a kettle. So to evenly distribute the water, the whole pour-over assembly gets swished around instead of just maneuvering the kettle. The water requires you to hold the button for continuous flow, so only one hand is available to hold the filter and cup. If the filter assembly and cup are separate units, that sounds like a possibility for them to fall apart while trying to swish around with one hand, or maybe get burnt trying to hold everything while the hot water goes in. I've seen some units that are one piece with a filter that drops in the top. After making it in the glass, it can be poured in the mug.

Brien
Professional Poster
Jun 19, 2020, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
I use one of these things to do my morning pourovers. It does an acceptable job. It's not going to be the same as a barista-sweated-over pourover, but the results are pretty similar. It definitely depends on the beans.

You still have to deal with the used grounds, of course. Being just a simple cone, it's not as big a PITA to clean as a french press, though. You pretty much dump the grounds and rinse it out. Occasionally, toss it in the dishwasher just to get it really clean.

Nah, The metal mesh cones and paper (V60/Kalita/Chemex) have very different profiles to my taste buds.

They still make a good cup of coffee however.

FWIW, I prefer V60.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 20, 2020, 04:49 PM

I’ve never been able to get metal cones fully clean. I use unbleached Melina cone filters - I don’t know that I can taste a difference between the unbleached and bleached filters, but using unbleached feels like it’s better for us.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 20, 2020, 07:30 PM

I’ve never had any issue cleaning out metal filters, and would prefer to use them for that, along with not generating the extra waste, but when I tested them back to back, I preferred the paper (bleached Melita). Metal was too weak on the regular setting and too strong on the “rich” setting.

Drip, obviously. I’m way too impatient to use anything else.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 18, 2020, 02:26 AM

My place ran out of Ethiopian. Barista suggested beans from Burundi, which aren’t bad.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 18, 2020, 03:06 PM

For the past 10+ years, I was drinking mostly espresso at home, and occasionally coffee at work.
Now, working from home, I had to find a coffee solution.

Got a 1ZPresso JX-Pro hand grinder, and dusted off my Aeropress.
I highly recommend 1ZPresso hand grinder. Solid construction and built quality.

Hands-down beats my prior cheap Cuisinart burr grinder + French press.
(My espresso grinder is a Baratza Vario, but that's not being touched. Grind is dialed in for espresso.)

Still digging various honey processed beans. Right now, I'm enjoying two different beans from JustCoffee in Wisconsin.

-t

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 9, 2020, 01:43 PM

Finally got more Ethiopian in season. I’ve had to settle for it being cut with Peruvian since, like, March.

This time it’s “Metad Buku washed”. I like it, but it’s very light. I’ll try the unwashed next bag.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 10, 2020, 07:48 AM

I’ll admit to some embarrassment but we moved to a Nespresso machine about two years ago and haven’t yet looked back. I’ve used a personal hand grinder and press for years and pined for a real espresso machine, but at the end of the day you have to simplify where you can with young kids, and we don’t seem to have the capacity for more work, mess and cleanup.

It’s been fine. The coffee is OK. Like most subjective things I tend to feel you judge it more harshly when you know where it comes from; I suspect it’d do alright in a blind test. The environmental impact of the pods concern me although they give you little reclylable bags to make you feel better. The price isn’t great but better than cafe bought or a real semi auto machine. The simplicity and lack of mess is fantastic. I am racked with guilt.
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 10, 2020, 08:13 AM

Wracked?

Friend of mine has a Keurig and loves it. I’m resistant to the idea not because of snobbishness, but because I usually slam a whole pot.

I fully admit however, even the effort required to make a pot of pre-ground coffee irritates me.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 10, 2020, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Friend of mine has a Keurig and loves it. I’m resistant to the idea not because of snobbishness, but because I usually slam a whole pot.
A Nespresso pod espresso maker is far superior to a Keurig in terms of coffee quality.

-t

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 10, 2020, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
I’ll admit to some embarrassment but we moved to a Nespresso machine about two years ago and haven’t yet looked back..
I don’t blame you.

I got a Nespresso for my office at work.
I had no access to a kitchen, and needed something that was easy to clean and use.
The quality of espresso is fairly good all things considered. The only quick & easy espresso maker that beats Nespresso are dedicated Illy pods and machines. But you don’t get the same variety of pods / coffee.

At home, I still enjoy freshly ground beans with a good burr grinder and a semi-automatic machine, but it takes a while to “dial in” the various components that make a good espresso (beans, grind, extraction time, water, porta filter, tamping).

-t

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 11, 2020, 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
A Nespresso pod espresso maker is far superior to a Keurig in terms of coffee quality.

-t
I don’t have trouble believing this (I haven’t tried either) but I also think I don’t want espresso.

I want a giant pot of coffee I nurse for four hours.

I’ll definitely pass the recommendation on to the person with the Keurig, though.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 11, 2020, 07:24 AM

Definitely wracked.

Nespresso can make American-style coffee, not just espresso. That’s what I use it for—I need my coffee hot and in a good travel mug so it stays that way for an hour or two. Just not a big pot obviously. You should probably reconsider that practice anyway for your own health but that’s probably not something you don’t know.

I definitely prefer the Nespresso to the Keurig I’ve tried. But I’d only recommend that if they’re actually unhappy with the Keurig—Ignorance is bliss!

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 11, 2020, 08:09 AM

I’ve gone 50 years not drinking coffee, so I’m making up for lost time.

I also blame ham sandwich for getting me hooked on the Ethiopian.

andi*pandi
Aug 11, 2020, 02:26 PM

I have fully adapted to ice tea powder. It's fine. Really.

(supplemented by runs to Dunkin')

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 12, 2020, 07:57 AM

IIRC, my friend with the Keurig’s favorite pod is Dunkin’.

Brien
Professional Poster
Aug 13, 2020, 12:46 AM

Ew.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 13, 2020, 06:21 AM

Aw, shit... don’t talk smack about DD when there are New Englanders around.

Thorzdad
Aug 19, 2020, 07:17 AM

Picked up a fresh bag of organic Ethiopian Sidamo over the weekend. So good.

andi*pandi
Aug 19, 2020, 09:33 AM

Yesterdays run was to Kung Fu Tea (I got the grapefruit green tea w bubbles). Refreshing! but no caffeine.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 19, 2020, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
Yesterdays run was to Kung Fu Tea (I got the grapefruit green tea w bubbles). Refreshing! but no caffeine.
😴😴😴

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 19, 2020, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
Definitely wracked.

Nespresso can make American-style coffee, not just espresso. That’s what I use it for—I need my coffee hot and in a good travel mug so it stays that way for an hour or two. Just not a big pot obviously. You should probably reconsider that practice anyway for.
Interesting. Reading this, I realized that I don’t think I ever had a an Americano, at least not knowingly. It was either drip/filter/French press coffee, or espresso straight up.
At home, I never make Americanos, but maybe I should ?!?!

There’s a question about beans and grind I have to solve.
I use a burr grinder calibrated for espresso grind, and with that, I use dark roast beans.
For coffee, I use medium or light roast beans, and hand-grind them (1ZPresso grinder).
Using espresso (dark roast) in an Americano would probably taste quite differently than medium roast AeroPress coffee.

I will experiment with it.

The one thing that did NOT work was using medium or light roast Costa Rican honey process coffee as espresso. Just did not turn out well. It’s meant for coffee. Not sure if Americano would be good. Need to try.

-t

Thorzdad
Aug 19, 2020, 02:30 PM

I’ve never quite understood the point of an Americano. But, I seriously love a double espresso, so I may be biased there.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 19, 2020, 06:29 PM

I’ve never quite understood the point of an Americano. But, I seriously love a double espresso, so I may be biased there.
I can’t (yet) speak to the taste, but because Americanos are Espresso based, they would contain less caffeine than regular coffee. Some people might prefer that.

-t

Thorzdad
Aug 19, 2020, 06:54 PM

It’s the flavor I’m talking about. An espresso is a pretty unique thing. Watering it down doesn’t make much sense. It’s kind of like making an espresso for people who don’t like espresso.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 19, 2020, 08:22 PM

It’s the flavor I’m talking about. An espresso is a pretty unique thing. Watering it down doesn’t make much sense. It’s kind of like making an espresso for people who don’t like espresso.
I don’t know about that, I’m not going to dismiss it before I try some more.
I’m having a hard time believing Americanos would be so popular if that were the case. Why no just order regular drip instead ?

Somewhat related (?): many people never had a truly great espresso. People believe espresso is bitter. That’s wrong. BAD espresso is bitter. Not good espresso.
Americanos are as good or bad as the underlying espresso.

-t

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 19, 2020, 09:58 PM

Yeah, I’m a huge Americano fan.

Look, I drink coffee the North American way: cradle it lovingly and sip it hot for an hour. It’s a mental crutch and comfort thing: you work and sip and work. Need to think about something? Take a sip.

None of this standing up, wham-bam shot-and-run nonsense with you espresso heathens.

I love a good espresso when the time’s right. But for me it’s a food paring, not a pick me up.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Aug 20, 2020, 10:02 AM

My old work had a pod-based espresso machine. That taste was wildly different than going to Starbucks or a local coffee shop and asking for an espresso. I don't know if I've had a reeeeeal espresso. I do know that back when I was in South America I wasn't into coffee at all and didn't take the opportunity to try any even though I was offered.

Forum Links
Forum Rules