Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Coffee Talk

Coffee Talk (Page 6)
subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 19, 2021, 06:28 AM

Doesn’t matter. Wine is overrated.

Hey... let me ask again. What was your cleaning routine with the Encore?

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 20, 2021, 01:02 PM

Out of Ethiopian and Burundi. Got a bag of “Rayos del Sol” Peruvian. Not bad at all.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 21, 2021, 09:05 AM

I think it was reader who asked about filtered water.

Just did back to back pots of tap and bottled. Bottled is better.

The bottled was in the fridge. I wonder if the temp change affected it too.

reader50
Administrator
May 21, 2021, 01:44 PM

I had suggested distilled. Since distilled is tasteless, you'd only get the coffee taste.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 21, 2021, 02:54 PM

Ah! Bad memory.

It’s been ages since I’ve drank distilled water, but my recollection is it tasted totally weird.

Brien
Professional Poster
May 26, 2021, 11:43 PM

Distilled water = gross coffee IMO

ghporter
Administrator
May 27, 2021, 04:33 PM

Distilled water typically is totally without any flavor. We're used to some sort of flavor in water, from the hint of chlorine that keeps gunk from growing in the storage tanks, to whatever "interesting" chemicals and minerals are in your local water.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 27, 2021, 04:45 PM

I also feel like on more than one occasion, the distilled water I’ve tried had taken on the taste of the plastic jug it came in.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
May 27, 2021, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Doesn’t matter. Wine is overrated.

Hey... let me ask again. What was your cleaning routine with the Encore?
There’s a half-dozen decent YouTube videos, including a Baratza one I think. I gave it a regular brush and quick spray every week, and then a more thorough disassembly every few weeks. I think it depends on your volume and beans, though—I find some are more oily/sticky than others.
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 28, 2021, 07:55 PM

Thanks!

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 2, 2021, 04:30 PM

I have a rare opportunity to say something nice about Kroger, which is the one by me carries whole beans from the roaster I go to, so I was able to get some when their cafe was closed.

Unfortunately, only blends. Went with their House, which is Colombia, Honduras, and Burundi. Not bad at all, and a veritable bargain at $10 a pound. The single source Rwanda/Burundi I’ve been getting lately is more like $25.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 2, 2021, 06:32 PM

I always found Kroger was a good, middle-of-the-road grocer. But that they have local roaster’s beans…that’s pretty cool.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 3, 2021, 07:06 AM

Officially it’s a Mariano’s, so “upmarket Kroger”. I figure that’s why local roasters are an option, though I get the impression my roaster (Intelligentsia) is pretty big as local roasters go, and tries to push themselves wherever they can. This isn’t the first surprising place I’ve found them.

The big issues I have with Kroger (at least at my store) are,

1) They stopped carrying Roundy’s “All Dressed Up” salad dressing flavored potato chips, which are fantastic. I’m very serious about my potato chips.

2) Their stock situation is a nightmare. They can’t keep things on the shelves, they don’t get rid of rotten food, and their fruit is garbage.

3) Whenever I ask someone who works there “why did this thing that used to be cool start sucking all the sudden”, the answer is always “Kroger”.

All that said, their bakery is decent. Good coffee cake.

Brien
Professional Poster
Jun 5, 2021, 12:41 AM

I buy direct from local roasters. We have 3, and they all do a BOGO (different days).

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 5, 2021, 11:28 AM

I usually buy direct, but they close at 4.

I stick with this particular roaster only because they have a place two blocks away.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 10, 2021, 04:30 PM

I know I’ve mentioned before I know someone who lives in Colombia, and will get lattes at Starbucks just to spite them.

Decided to flip that and got some in season Colombian at my roaster.

It’s definitely good, though I’d say it has more “non-coffee” flavors than the African.

Thorzdad
Aug 9, 2021, 06:30 PM

My roaster finally got the Ethiopian Sidamo Organic in. They’ve been out for months.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 9, 2021, 07:17 PM

Similarly, we just got Buku back. In season, too.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 10, 2021, 11:19 AM

Most coffee roasters here in San Antonio are either Downtown, or in the ritzier areas north of the city. The closest shop, which I just discovered, is a ways out - not really “far” but not just around the block either. We’re going to have to visit and check it out.

We’ve been dependent on grocery store selections for quite a while. While Gevalia is a good, mass market brand, groceries here only carry a few of their blends. The local grocery giant, H-E-B, has their own line of blends and roasts, but they’re not very far from “middle of the road” in terms of variety. Not bad, just not a place that I’d find a selection of Ethiopian coffees…

So, like our quest to find a good microbrewery (we have found one that’s worth the drive across town), we have a mission to find a coffee roaster that’s worth our time.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 10, 2021, 03:57 PM

My roaster has one place downtown, two in the “still edgy” hipster neighborhoods, and two in the “formerly edgy” hipster neighborhoods.

Another place roasters seem to end up at is near the universities.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 30, 2021, 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Officially it’s a Mariano’s, so “upmarket Kroger”. I figure that’s why local roasters are an option, though I get the impression my roaster (Intelligentsia) is pretty big as local roasters go, and tries to push themselves wherever they can. This isn’t the first surprising place I’ve found them.

The big issues I have with Kroger (at least at my store) are,

1) They stopped carrying Roundy’s “All Dressed Up” salad dressing flavored potato chips, which are fantastic. I’m very serious about my potato chips.

2) Their stock situation is a nightmare. They can’t keep things on the shelves, they don’t get rid of rotten food, and their fruit is garbage.

3) Whenever I ask someone who works there “why did this thing that used to be cool start sucking all the sudden”, the answer is always “Kroger”.

All that said, their bakery is decent. Good coffee cake.
Yeah, Mariano's is not the same as when Bob was in charge.
But, to Kroger's credit - I expected things go to shit much faster. Kudos for only slowly deteriorating.

-t

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 6, 2021, 04:19 PM

OK, this will probably sound pretty pedestrian, but I have a question about grinds. Specifically how fine.

We use Gevalia on a daily basis, and it is labeled as “fine” ground. This jibes with the illustrations I’ve found showing various grinds.

Our local grocery has the standard grocery store grinder in their coffee section, and I’m planning to experiment with some of their “exotic” roasts. Some of these are in bulk bins, so they ain’t that exotic, but others are packed as whole beans, and that’s what I’m looking at.

Let’s say one of them is called “Ethiopian”, with all the advertising jazz on the label, blah, blah, blah. How finely should a real Ethiopian coffee be ground to get the best flavor, given the limits of a grocery store grinder?

Thorzdad
Sep 6, 2021, 04:34 PM

It completely depends on your brewing method.

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 7, 2021, 01:12 PM

Oh, yeah. I left that part out. We do pour over.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 7, 2021, 01:39 PM

In theory, the coarsest grind is going to be for French press, and somewhere in the middle is going to be drip. For a pour over, you want in between those two.

In practice, it can be a bit all over the place. For the drip maker I have at home, the grind I use is close to a pour over. In the exact same model of drip maker I have at work, that comes out too weak.

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 7, 2021, 05:26 PM

So a medium grind for pour over? Or more "medium-fine"?

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 7, 2021, 07:41 PM

Other direction… medium-coarse.

Thorzdad
Sep 7, 2021, 07:52 PM

You might want to invest in a grinder. Those supermarket grinders contain bits and powder from every previous grind it’s done before you got there. Lord knows when they get fully cleaned. Your nice Ethiopian could end up with overtones of Aunt Emma’s vanilla-mint roast.

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 8, 2021, 02:38 PM

I am aware of the cleaning issues with grocery store grinders. That machine is a necessary, if imperfect, part of what I’m trying to do. But there are ways to minimize and mitigate the residues involved. Since this is really just a trial run with a specific blend, I’m not terribly worried about a small amount of dust from some other blend getting in the way.

The key point about using the grocery grinder is that it has an adjustment knob that I can use to get a consistent grind (from that machine) in multiple visits. And I can adjust the grind if needed, with that machine as well.

My blade grinder is really only good for small batches - which is an option here. And I’m not flush enough to buy even a modestly priced burr grinder at the moment. But if I can get a feel for how coarse or fine to grind the beans, I can replicate that with my blade grinder in “just enough” batches at home.

OreoCookie
Sep 8, 2021, 11:54 PM

Yes, get a grinder. I got one for my birthday this year and I am amazed how stupid I was for not getting one earlier. Experiment with the fineness of the grind. It also depends on the coffee, e. g. if it is aromatic like Ethopian coffee or so.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 19, 2021, 05:45 PM

I may have already mentioned this, but I have two of the same coffee maker. One needs 3/4-cup of grounds, the other needs a full cup.

No idea why. Maximum minor irritant.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 20, 2021, 12:40 PM

I asked one of the actors of the coffee was okay, and he said it was “Starbucks quality”.

You fucking son of a bitch…

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Sep 20, 2021, 02:15 PM

We went to Detroit last month and I forgot that I don't like coffee. I kept trying stuff at local coffee shops and not liking it - lattes, cold brew, whatever. Then I remembered that I always used to just get a double shot of espresso until I discovered Starbucks Salted Caramel Cold Foam Cold Brew. That's been my go-to for a while if we're out and about, otherwise it's just Stok cold brew at home with a splash of vanilla almond milk.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 20, 2021, 02:46 PM

I actually like Frappuccino, and some of their more heavily flavored lattes. As I’ve said before, I don’t think I like coffee that much. I just like the bump, and make it work with cream and sugar.

It’s also a decent appetite suppressant, which is nice because food makes me sleepy.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 20, 2021, 10:55 PM

What coffee machine? Sounds like water flow or temperature discrepancies. I had a Cuisinart that was like that but the Moccamaster is a rock by comparison.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 21, 2021, 12:21 AM

They’re both Coffee Ninjas.

It’s possible I’m shorting it some water at home. At work I make sure it’s the full 12 cups. At home I’ll go closer to 10.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 8, 2021, 08:42 PM

Ended up solving that problem by dumping in an extra quarter cup of grounds.

In more recent news, I’ve been lazy, and getting the “House Blend” from my roaster since I can get it delivered from the grocery store. I’m beginning to think it’s more the “Whatever We Have Left Over Blend”.

Just went through the minimal effort required to get a bag of in season Ethiopian. I had forgotten how much better it was.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 21, 2022, 05:57 PM

My place found a hookup in the DRC. Not bad!

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 30, 2022, 03:19 AM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
It completely depends on your brewing method.
Also depends on roast.

Light roasts need finer grind to properly extract. Dark roasts can be ground coarser.
All of that comes on top of the relative grind size (very fine for mocca, fine for espresso, medium for pour-over. drip, coarse for French press).

Secondly, some brew methods are much more forgiving than others.
AeroPress will generally give you the best outcome even with bad technique.

-t

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 6, 2022, 07:12 PM

I’ve been playing with my pour-over technique, and I’ve found that if I tamp the grounds into the filter - not as hard as you’d smoosh them for espresso - I get a richer taste, and more consistent results from cup to cup.

Brien
Professional Poster
Feb 7, 2022, 01:27 AM

Bought an espresso machine. Wish me luck.

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 7, 2022, 01:26 PM

When we made our own espresso, we found that two things were crucial: keep the basket scrupulously clean, and follow that machine’s instructions carefully.

It was a one-cup machine, so we started out just dumping the grounds from cup number one and filling the basket again for cup number two (properly compacting the grounds each time), but the second cup was almost always kind of bitter compared to the first. We found that dumping, rinsing, then (I think this is the key) steaming the empty basket with the milk frother fixed that.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 7, 2022, 03:47 PM

That is why I’ve lusted after an espresso machine but will probably never get one…..everyone I know who’s into it has an arcane set of trial-and-error rules for their particular use case. I know I’d end up in the same boat and complicate my life all to hell, hahaha. I’ve got my grind-and-drip method all worked out and I’m gonna ride it to death

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 28, 2022, 07:04 PM

There’s 106 miles to Chicago. I’ve got two bags of Ethiopian and a gallon of light cream. It’s dark out, and I’m wearing sunglasses.

MacNNFamous
Senior User
Feb 28, 2022, 11:16 PM

I hate illinois nazis.

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 1, 2022, 11:53 AM

It’s a “mission” thing, right?

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Apr 15, 2022, 11:23 PM

Gotta switch to fake sugar, so it’s time for a fake sugar of preference poll.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Apr 16, 2022, 02:33 AM

Since I’ve got a bunch of options lying around, I’ve decided to experiment.

First up was stevia. Two packets in a 16 oz cup. Very strange. It cuts the bitterness of the coffee, but wasn’t really sweet, and has its own sorta weird taste. I tried dumping in another packet, which made it slightly sweet, but even more strange tasting.

The whole experience makes me not want any more coffee.

MacNNFamous
Senior User
Apr 16, 2022, 12:33 PM

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Apr 17, 2022, 12:19 AM

I’ll try no sugar*, but I’ll use a fresh pot to give it a fair chance.

Just did Splenda. Two packets in a 16 oz cup of day old coffee. It’s workable.

*Cream is a requirement for me. Both in terms of taste and I want to get some caloric energy out of it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules