Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Coffee Talk

Coffee Talk (Page 7)
MacNNFamous
Senior User
Apr 17, 2022, 12:40 PM

Cream and sugar are fine but your coffee has to be smooth/good enough to go solo.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Apr 17, 2022, 05:03 PM

I’ve got good coffee and a decent grinder, but I only sorta like coffee in the first place.

I think I mentioned I started drinking it is because it fell to me to make it at work, which obligated me to test it. From there, I found the kick to be too useful. Especially when I had to get up at 3AM.

Edit: it’s also not too shabby as an appetite suppressant.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Apr 27, 2022, 07:50 PM

Got my hands on some light cream again. So much better than the heavy.

Next time I’m stuck with it, I’m considering cutting the heavy with half water.

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 28, 2022, 11:07 AM

Try skim/low fat milk instead of water to cut the heavy cream. Water and cream won’t mix well, but any milk will work ok. I’d go with whatever milk is handy when light cream isn’t available.

We use half-and-half for our coffee. It’s “heavy” enough to give the coffee body, but not so heavy that it floats…. We occasionally have whipped cream (whipped at home, so it’s really cream) left over, and a dollop on a cup of coffee is an interesting change of pace. But it’s definitely “heavy”. Whole milk, on the other hand, while not heavy, is also not enough for flavor.

Please note that while I drank coffee before I lived on the Gulf Coast, once I was introduced to real New Orleans café au lait (chicory coffee with steamed cream), anything other than real cream (or at least half-and-half) just doesn’t do it.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Apr 28, 2022, 01:48 PM

For whatever reason I really dislike milk in coffee. I’m also going low carb (hence the artificial sweetener test)

ghporter
Administrator
May 2, 2022, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
For whatever reason I really dislike milk in coffee. I’m also going low carb (hence the artificial sweetener test)
I get that - there's a distinctively different taste of "coffee with milk" compared to "coffee with cream." But by cutting your heavy cream with milk, you're basically making your own half-and-half, so it wouldn't taste like milk.

I've sort of regressed in my coffee making process. The whole electric kettle, single-cup pour over process got really time consuming. I tried a "5 cup" carafe pour over gadget, which was less of a hassle, but... So I bought a 5-cup drip coffee maker.

It makes pretty darn good coffee too. One thing I think was always missing in my prior coffee makers was that they were always 12 cup devices. I'd either make way too much coffee, or the unit wouldn't do a good job with a half pot. This small guy is not like that. Our morning cups hold 12 ounces, so I put in just enough water and ground coffee to make 24oz, and a few minutes later, voila!

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 2, 2022, 08:40 PM

10 “cups” is my sweet spot, and also happens to be exactly three pint bottles of water.

WRT milk, even the milk in half and half is a turnoff.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
May 3, 2022, 09:55 AM

Wife has started buying from BLK & Bold, a local coffee roaster. She got a grinder for Christmas which goes with the pour-over I got her a while back. The hot tap makes it easy to put together a cup.

Also she broke her French press this week so I need to find a new one so she can get back to bedtime tea.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
May 3, 2022, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Wife has started buying from BLK & Bold, a local coffee roaster. She got a grinder for Christmas which goes with the pour-over I got her a while back. The hot tap makes it easy to put together a cup.

Also she broke her French press this week so I need to find a new one so she can get back to bedtime tea.
This is an African-American owned company that I purchase from as well. I like the signature dark roast and I recently tried the Ethiopian light roast. Both are very good. I also like how they donate 5% of their proceeds to youth charities.

OAW

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
May 3, 2022, 12:29 PM

10 “cups” is my sweet spot, and also happens to be exactly three pint bottles of water.

WRT milk, even the milk in half and half is a turnoff.
Agreed. I really don't like milk in my coffee. Even in half and half.

OAW

ghporter
Administrator
May 3, 2022, 02:33 PM

I guess it’s a (no pun intended) taste thing. Of course when I first drank coffee, my grandparents used condensed milk (and sugar) in their coffee. So whole milk was a lot lighter, and not super sweet, either.

Later, I got spoiled by New Orleans café au lait, specifically from Cafe Du Monde, so the milk thing is a part of the experience for me.

On the other hand, at work I’d drink it black. Overly strong Folgers from a 12 cup Mr. Coffee clone that has been “warming” the last two cups for several hours…. I tried bringing in milk or half-and-half, but it’s kinda hard to make that coffee “better.”

What’s that? “Powdered creamers?” Not a chance. The most honest ones call themselves “coffee whiteners”, but yuck.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
May 3, 2022, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
I guess it’s a (no pun intended) taste thing. Of course when I first drank coffee, my grandparents used condensed milk (and sugar) in their coffee. So whole milk was a lot lighter, and not super sweet, either.

Later, I got spoiled by New Orleans café au lait, specifically from Cafe Du Monde, so the milk thing is a part of the experience for me.

On the other hand, at work I’d drink it black. Overly strong Folgers from a 12 cup Mr. Coffee clone that has been “warming” the last two cups for several hours…. I tried bringing in milk or half-and-half, but it’s kinda hard to make that coffee “better.”

What’s that? “Powdered creamers?” Not a chance. The most honest ones call themselves “coffee whiteners”, but yuck.
I actually like condensed milk in my coffee. With that I don't even need to bother with sugar. But whole milk or half and half?

OAW

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 3, 2022, 02:39 PM

I strangely am fine with milk in espresso. I mean, I know au lait is regular coffee, but at coffee places I get a latte or a cappuccino.

In regular coffee I’ll take (liquid) Coffee Mate over milk.

ghporter
Administrator
May 5, 2022, 10:39 PM

[joke]
Were you frightened by a cow as a child?
[/joke]

Coffee Mate, dry or liquid, has a distinctive flavor (even the non-flavored versions) that is pretty yucky to me.

At one time I even tried powdered milk in my coffee (at work). No go. However, as a child I DID have to put up with mainly powdered milk for an extended period of time. So that, “skim milk” (whitened water) and even low fat milk are kinda repulsive…

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 5, 2022, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
[joke]
Were you frightened by a cow as a child?
[/joke]
The opposite! I love milk. Especially in cereal. I haven’t the faintest idea why it turns me off in regular coffee. It was pure luck I grabbed some straight cream and tried it. I had normally gotten half and half made by a local(ish) dairy. That was out one time, but the cream was in stock and I gave it a shot.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 10, 2022, 04:30 PM

Ran out of viable sugar substitutes, but a search turned up a 10 to 15-year-old stash of Splenda packets.

Tastes fine.

Thorzdad
Jul 11, 2022, 08:32 AM

I’ve started using oatmilk or a oat-coconut milk blend in my morning coffee, instead of half-n-half. It’s good.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 11, 2022, 09:52 AM

Opportunity to call it cocoatnut milk missed.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 22, 2022, 05:06 PM

Today was either chocolate milk or nothing. Pretty disgusting tbh. I prefer ND creamer.

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 22, 2022, 08:28 PM

Chocolate milk in coffee isn't necessarily horrible. But it's better if you put in chocolate syrup (we like Hershey's Special Dark syrup) and mix it in well before adding any dairy/pseudo dairy product. Chocolate milk is not strongly enough flavored to compete with a decently brewed coffee, so it tastes "ish" instead of chocolaty.

Brien
Professional Poster
Jul 25, 2022, 02:02 PM

One of our local places uses chocolate milk to make their mochas. Ish describes it perfectly

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 2, 2022, 05:19 PM

Had to go Dunkin’ creamer or nothing.

Not bad. Too sweet though.

reader50
Administrator
Aug 2, 2022, 05:32 PM

Aren't you getting hit by a heat wave? I'd think hot coffee would not be the answer.

Sweaty people driving around. Add hot coffee. Sweaty, jittery people driving around. This is not an improvement.

Thorzdad
Aug 2, 2022, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
Aren't you getting hit by a heat wave? I'd think hot coffee would not be the answer.
I had a friend from India who never, ever drank cold drinks, not even cold water. Always piping hot tea or coffee, even in the most sweltering of heat waves.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 2, 2022, 06:15 PM

It’s 85°, so not out of the ordinary for August.

I don’t like the overheating hot coffee causes in summer, but I’ve become non-functional without the caffeine hit. I should probably go iced.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Aug 3, 2022, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
I had a friend from India who never, ever drank cold drinks, not even cold water. Always piping hot tea or coffee, even in the most sweltering of heat waves.
I'd wondered why I only got a tepid glass of still water at Chinese restaurants, so I did some digging. Apparently it's a thing.
https://asia.nikkei.com/Editor-s-Pic...ders-ice-water

It’s 85°, so not out of the ordinary for August.

I don’t like the overheating hot coffee causes in summer, but I’ve become non-functional without the caffeine hit. I should probably go iced.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 3, 2022, 10:12 AM

Mornings call for hot coffee, for me, anyway. One cup (12oz) with half and half. After that, I’m fine. I can’t do sweet coffee. A touch of sweet is ok now and then, but if my coffee is going to be sweet, it may as well be coffee ice cream. Yum.

However I have heard the theory that hot drinks “balance” the body in hot weather. I’m not going to quite say BS to that, but… On the other hand, really cold drinks can change blood flow in not so good ways. The stomach lining is chilled by really cold stuff, and that diverts a LOT of blood away from everything else to the stomach. Which is why some people actually get kinda faint when they chug ice water.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 3, 2022, 01:56 PM

I'd wondered why I only got a tepid glass of still water at Chinese restaurants, so I did some digging. Apparently it's a thing.
I’d wondered why I only got a tepid glass of beer in Europe, so I did some digging. Apparently Europeans are stupid.

andi*pandi
Aug 3, 2022, 02:04 PM

Once at a cookout, my new-age cousin gave me the stinkeye when I put her contribution (lemonade and seltzers) into the cooler along with the evil sugar sodas and beers.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 3, 2022, 05:33 PM

What’s the idea? Just add ice? Do you make it muddier to compensate for getting watered down?

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Aug 4, 2022, 08:33 AM

Make it a little stronger, ice in a cup, pour over ice.

Brien
Professional Poster
Aug 5, 2022, 11:48 PM

andi*pandi
Aug 8, 2022, 02:18 PM

Oh dear god. There's a dunkin' every 50 feet.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 8, 2022, 03:22 PM

Say you live in New England without saying you live in New England.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 21, 2022, 02:58 PM

They were out of regular Ethiopian, but currently have a “special” type that’s $75 for a ¾-pound bag.

reader50
Administrator
Aug 21, 2022, 04:01 PM

For that price, it had better be a very special type, with bonus cocaine dust to pick you up.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 21, 2022, 04:05 PM

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 21, 2022, 04:56 PM

This is one of those things like cat poop coffee where I know it’s a ripoff (and with the cat poop, abusive to cats), but I’m still curious enough to pay for it once.

I’m sure it’s pointless with a drip machine though.

Brien
Professional Poster
Aug 21, 2022, 06:42 PM

None of the auction hype coffees have been worth it to me.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 21, 2022, 06:46 PM

I’m sure it’s good, but I can’t see it being 3X+ good. As is, $20 for a ¾-pound bag of the regular Ethiopian is too expensive.

andi*pandi
Aug 21, 2022, 07:04 PM

Say you live in New England without saying you live in New England.
oh deah gawd, theyah's a Dunkin evry 50 feet, timmay!

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 22, 2022, 12:46 PM

Krispy Kreme died for your sins.

Thorzdad
Aug 22, 2022, 04:37 PM

I never understood the KK fetish. The donuts were insanely over-glazed and teeth-chattering sweet. Then the donut itself was just air. Meh.

Brien
Professional Poster
Aug 22, 2022, 04:58 PM

Same as cloyingly sweet Frappacinos or the ‘let’s put bacon and cereal on donuts’ things. Muricans love sugar.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 22, 2022, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
I never understood the KK fetish. The donuts were insanely over-glazed and teeth-chattering sweet. Then the donut itself was just air. Meh.
I like my donuts that way.

andi*pandi
Aug 22, 2022, 05:45 PM

Krispy Kreme died for your sins.
The invaders were repelled.

Now, Heavnly Donuts... those are pretty good.
https://heavnlydonuts.com/locations/

Linda's is great if you get there early.

And these? are they art? They're darned expensive but amazing.
https://www.unionsquaredonuts.com

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 1, 2022, 12:10 AM

They were out of regular Ethiopian, but currently have a “special” type that’s $75 for a ¾-pound bag.
It’s actually $75 for a 7 ounce bag.

I couldn’t help myself. I tried it.

It is probably one of the best cups of coffee I’ve ever had. Extremely smooth. Had some strong but not overbearing non-coffee tastes.

Still not worth it, but now I can stop wondering. It’d be nice as a gift for an aficionado.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 7, 2022, 04:18 PM

No African in season so I went Costa Rica. Not bad.

andi*pandi
Sep 12, 2022, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
oh deah gawd, theyah's a Dunkin evry 50 feet, timmay!
Tragedy reported in Stow, MA:

https://twitter.com/MattWBZ/status/1...8Y2E6-rES6_aWg

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 12, 2022, 12:19 PM

I thought that was Ira Glass for a second.

Forum Links
Forum Rules