Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > What, no RIP Elizabeth II Thread?

What, no RIP Elizabeth II Thread?
ghporter
Administrator
Sep 9, 2022, 10:19 AM

The longest reigning monarch in British history, and second longest in ALL history has died. And I’m sad.

Years ago, Esquire magazine ran a short article on Elizabeth II, which started my fascination with her specifically. And the more I’ve learned about her, the more badass she’s proven to be.

She was also a very dedicated horsewoman, she had a wicked sense of humor, and she was particularly tech savvy as well.

Whatever political or “royal watching” issues folks have with her, Elizabeth passed away a little more than a year after Phillip. This timing is pretty common for widows, but more than that, it reflects the sincerity of her relationship with him.

RIP Lilibet.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Sep 10, 2022, 07:39 AM

Yes. She has been a constant in billions of lives and its going to be super weird having a king instead.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 10, 2022, 08:55 AM

Bet he croaks, like, immediately.

Thorzdad
Sep 10, 2022, 09:46 AM

Nah. But there is an off-chance he might be the last monarch of the UK. Obviously, that would take a whole lot of dealing throughout the commonwealth to pull it off.

ghporter  (op)
Administrator
Sep 10, 2022, 02:15 PM

Considering that the monarchy is basically the only reason that Parliament has two houses - even though the House of Lords isn’t really that active in law making - I don’t know that just letting royalty fade away would be good for anyone. I think it would take a lot of restructuring to make everyday governance work without it.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

reader50
Administrator
Sep 10, 2022, 02:40 PM

I never met her. I do have good impressions - she was a source of stability. The UK government would do this or that, while the Queen *never* said dipshit nonsense.

Forum Links
Forum Rules