Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Standup Comedy that doesn't suck

Standup Comedy that doesn't suck
Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Oct 24, 2022, 04:56 PM

Neal Brennan's 3 Mics (Netflix)

Neal wrote on a lot of familiar shows in the '90s and famously created Chappelle's Show with Dave Chappelle.

From Wikipedia:
The show features Brennan alternating between three microphones; he uses the first microphone to read one-liners from index cards, the second microphone to talk about dealing with depression and his relationship with his father, and the third microphone to perform traditional stand-up comedy.

Must watch.

MacNNFamous
Senior User
Oct 27, 2022, 02:04 PM

Tropic. Thunder.

And IASIP.

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Oct 27, 2022, 02:06 PM

Movies and TV shows all have their own threads. Maybe it wasn't obvious, but I'm talking standup comedy.

MacNNFamous
Senior User
Oct 27, 2022, 04:27 PM

Missed that. I'll check it out. Just don't watch Bill Burr's special from a few months ago. Worst thing I've ever seen.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 27, 2022, 05:24 PM

What’s wrong with it? I generally like him, but I’ve never watched him do a full set.

Of what I have seen, my favorite is him taunting the audience in Philly for 10 straight minutes.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Oct 27, 2022, 05:41 PM

He can be very funny but I find I can't tell whether or not he hates women. Which makes me slightly uncomfortable.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 27, 2022, 06:45 PM

The vibe I get from him is he hates women on par with how much he hates himself.

He does a lot of material about how it’s a mystery his wife tolerates him.

Thorzdad
Oct 30, 2022, 10:18 AM

I highly recommend Taylor Tomlinson’s latest Netflix special, Look at You. The wife and I both laughed our butts off. It was especially hilarious if, like me, you have had any dealings with the mental health profession. Her previous standup special was really good, too.

We weren’t as impressed with Iliza Schlesinger’s latest special on Netflix. It came off as more of a (justifiable) rant. Her earlier specials are much better.

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 31, 2022, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
I highly recommend Taylor Tomlinson’s latest Netflix special, Look at You. The wife and I both laughed our butts off. It was especially hilarious if, like me, you have had any dealings with the mental health profession. Her previous standup special was really good, too.

We weren’t as impressed with Iliza Schlesinger’s latest special on Netflix. It came off as more of a (justifiable) rant. Her earlier specials are much better.
What's her newest one? The last one I saw was about getting married, it was a really good time, as was Elder Millennial.

Thorzdad
Oct 31, 2022, 05:14 PM

Iliza’s? It’s called Hot Forever. It’s pretty recent. Recent enough for her to be extremely pissed about Roe being overturned, anyway (or about to be overturned, depending on when it was shot)

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 7, 2022, 02:55 PM

Personally I don’t think I’ve ever been able to make it through a Schlesinger special.

How about this game, rate your preference for the following female comedians:
  • Whitney Cummings
  • Taylor Tomlinson
  • Ilza Schlesinger
  • Nikki Glazer
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Thorzdad
Nov 7, 2022, 03:12 PM

At this point in time, Taylor would top my list. I like both Cummings and Glazer, but neither of them have done any new standup specials in a few years, that I’m aware of. Glazer pops-up on the occasional podcast, and has one of her own, as well. So...

Tomlinson
Schlesinger
Cummings/Glazer in a tie.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 8, 2022, 12:40 PM

I agree with Taylor at the top. Schlesinger at the bottom for me, I don’t enjoy her style much at all, the troll voices etc….just not my thing.

Cummings/Glaser are interesting mirror reflections. Rely heavily on a lot of dirty sex material but they take very different approaches.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 8, 2022, 12:43 PM

Now add Natasha Leggero.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 8, 2022, 01:16 PM

YESSSSSS

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 8, 2022, 01:19 PM

I love Natasha Leggero. I’d recommend her roasts for Bieber and Franco. But I didn’t include her because I’m not sure if she has any formal specials (I haven’t seen any).

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 8, 2022, 01:47 PM

Her and Sarah Colonna were my faves from the Chelsea squad.

I find Chelsea herself to be mean-spirited and obnoxious.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 8, 2022, 03:38 PM

Also agreed.

What I love about Tomlinson and Leggero (and Glaser to a lesser extent) is their ability to just slow down. It sort of feels analogous to what people say about some veteran athletes, where they are just in full command of the game and know that going slower is actually better. Tomlinson’s recent special in particular really shows how amazing she’s become at this—she’s almost moving in molasses half the time and it’s somehow even funnier despite being so super controlled.

Louie Anderson was the master at this. Not my favourite comedian but damn could he double the laughs just by saying nothing for a little bit.

Obviously that’s just the type of stuff that works best for me. Cummings is hit or miss but often doesn’t do it. Schlesinger mostly doesn’t do it. Kevin Hart is, like, the opposite of it. But of course millions of people love Kevin Hart so hey.

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Nov 8, 2022, 04:48 PM

Do you like Mike Birbiglia or Nate Bergatze? Both are what you could consider "lower energy," while still being incredibly funny.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 9, 2022, 04:17 PM

I like Bergatze, haven’t got to Birbiglia yet.

I’m not sure I’d characterize it as “low energy” but I get what you mean. Chris Rock for example is pretty high-energy but he still has that slow controlled tempo.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 9, 2022, 04:27 PM

Of course, the king of low energy is Steven Wright.

As an aside, the delivery is different, but the comic sensibilities of Steven Wright and Mitch Hedberg are actually very similar in my mind.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 9, 2022, 06:57 PM

Have you ever seen Dylan Moran? He's great.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Thorzdad
Nov 11, 2022, 10:05 PM

The new Neal Brennan special on Netflix is pretty good. Definitely a low-key-ish performer.

Forum Links
Forum Rules