Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Autocad

Autocad
lyanma
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 5, 2009, 03:17 PM

Autocad is a program that almost every architect use or has to use while in the course of becoming an Architect. I have friends that are willing to buy a Mac but are afraid to buy them just because they can't use this program on a Mac.
I want to know if there is a version of Autocad I haven't heard of that can be used on a Mac, or if there is some other way for them to use it?
I've heard that some people use Virtual Machines with Windows as OS and they install the Autocad there, but that doesn't seem to convince my friends at all.

-L

Hg2491
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 5, 2009, 06:06 PM

I'd recommend using Boot Camp in the case of using Windows.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 5, 2009, 08:50 PM

AutoCAD won't run in Mac OS and there's nothing on the same level. You could install Windows on their Macs, but at that point they may as well buy a PC. Running a demanding app like AutoCAD in virtualization is going to be slow and may break some functionality due to the incomplete 3D support.

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 5, 2009, 09:25 PM

Depends what they run Autocad for. If your friend is drafting, it works via Parallels (for example) fine. Don't know about 3D -- I find Autocad awkward for 3D anyway.

There was, in fact, a version ported to Mac in the 90s, r.12, I think. The port was awful, full of bugs and practically unusable.

I have been running Autocad since r.14, at first via Virtual PC 4.0, in my own firm. Things are definitely better these days with VMware and the like.

If your friend sees the other advantages in running a mac (general OS stability, easier configuration and networking, more "elegance", etc.) then it may be worth it to put up with the expense of running two OSes. Otherwise, it's probably not worth it for most.

lyanma  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 6, 2009, 12:35 AM

Wow, I really hope the creators of Autocad release a version for Mac. : /
Thank you guys for the responses, they were really helpful.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 6, 2009, 01:41 AM

Originally Posted by lyanma View Post
I wouldn’t bet on it. AutoDesk are decidedly anti-Mac, even nixing further production on Mac versions of apps that were previously well-represented.

k squared
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 6, 2009, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by lyanma View Post
Will never happen...the whole application would have to be re-written in run on the Mac OS. Also, I really do not see ACAD around in a few more years....they are pushing Revit pretty hard. All of my firms new software upgrades are combo deals with ACAD and Revit sold together.

Porting Revit to Mac OS is something else altogether....

Answering your original question, I've used ACAD 2007 with Parallels (Windows XP Home) without problems...but it was all 2D, no 3D work. Running it under Boot Camp felt the same, but I was more productive since all of my other distractions (Mail, Safari, iTunes, etc) were/are not installed on my Boot Camp partition.

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 6, 2009, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Oisín View Post
I wouldn’t bet on it. AutoDesk are decidedly anti-Mac, even nixing further production on Mac versions of apps that were previously well-represented.
I think that's right.

Forum Links
Forum Rules