Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Why isn't my Boot Camp volume showing up in Startup Disk?

Why isn't my Boot Camp volume showing up in Startup Disk?
Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 20, 2010, 08:30 AM

I created said volume using Boot Camp Assistant; can boot to it at system power up using the Option key; it's recognized by Finder; and Startup Disk under Windows 7 also recognizes the OS X volume.

Is there something I failed to do?
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Oct 20, 2010, 08:44 AM

in the bootcamp tools that gets loaded in windows 7. Do you see both volumes, or only the OSX volume?

There's nothing else you need to do, to enable this, as it should just work

Did you try resetting your pram? I think I recall seeing others having this problem until they reset their pram
~Mike

Lateralus  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 21, 2010, 12:36 PM

Tried the PRAM reset to no avail. And yes, Boot Camp under Windows recognizes both volumes as boot options.

Hmmm...
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Oct 22, 2010, 08:08 AM

While not a solution to fixing this, you can use rEFIt which will give you a boot menu to select OSX or windows at boot up, this may be more convenient then holding down the option key at boot up
~Mike

Lateralus  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 23, 2010, 12:26 PM

Thanks, I'll check it out.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 23, 2010, 01:56 PM

If it's any consolation, the startup disk preference pane on my Mac doesn't recognize my Windows 7 partition either.

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 23, 2010, 02:22 PM

What Boot Camp version do you have? It looks like there's a version 3.1, with a 32-Bit Windows 7 version and a 64-Bit Windows 7 version. Couldn't hurt to look into this-Apple says "[t]his update is highly recommended for all Boot Camp 3.0 users."

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Lateralus  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 24, 2010, 06:11 AM

Yupp, I've had it since 5 minutes after I completed the Windows installation.

Originally Posted by seanc View Post
If it's any consolation, the startup disk preference pane on my Mac doesn't recognize my Windows 7 partition either.
It is, actually.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 24, 2010, 10:48 AM

I'm beginning to think that this is something off with the Startup Disk pref pane in general. If Win7 boots from a differently marked partition, an older version of Startup Disk would maybe not be able to see it. But if that were the case, I'd think that the BC 3.1 update (which is supposed to make Win7 work) would have updated Startup Disk appropriately...

I had planned to install Win7 on my BC partition in the near future, as work and everything else have settled down enough for me to have the time to play with it. Maybe I won't make "near future" that "near" until this gets sorted...

Cold Warrior
Oct 24, 2010, 10:54 AM

It shows for me, MBP 5,5 10.6.4 and win7x64. I did a fresh install a few days ago using bc assistant: nuked the current install, recreated, and reinstalled fresh. OS X Startup Disk shows the Win7 install as a boot option.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 24, 2010, 11:01 AM

As far as I know, the Bootcamp 3.1 update only updates drivers in Windows 7 - quite how this could affect the startup disk pane in OS X, I'm not sure.

The outstanding issues I have with Bootcamp drivers are that I occasionally have a BSOD, I think it's caused by the wireless drivers and the multitouch drivers for the trackpad don't always work. Also is sounds like the inverter whines, it doesn't do that in OS X, perhaps it is something else, such as the CPU.

Just to re-cap, the startup disk pane in Bootcamp control panel on Windows 7 works OK, option booting works fine, you just can't set the startup disk from OS X.

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 24, 2010, 11:09 AM

My thought about Startup Disk was just a musing. I can't for the life of me think of any other reason a Win7 partition would show up at boot option time but not in the pref pane so you could make it default from OS X, especially if the Control Panel applet in Win7 works fine.

Lateralus  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 24, 2010, 11:27 AM

Because all software hates me.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 24, 2010, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
Because all software hates me.
So...the software started it? Ah, now I see.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 24, 2010, 03:17 PM

whiteymiller
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 27, 2010, 12:33 AM

I had the same issue where my W7 partition was not appearing under the Startup Disk preference pane in Snow Leopard. My issue was further complicated by that fact that when I hold down the Option key during boot my iMac would still boot straight into Snow Leopard rather than giving me the option to boot to the available startup disks so I had no way to boot into W7 (tried Reift briefly and it didn't work either).

I saw a short post that was about 2 years old on another site about NTFS-3G being the reason the Windows partition wasn't appearing in the Startup Disk preference pane -- it causes OS X to think the partition is not a startup disk or something to that effect. I uninstalled NTFS-3G and restarted and sure enough my W7 partition reappeared as a startup disk in the pref pane. Hope this helps others.

Lateralus  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 27, 2010, 01:20 PM

Hmmm... That is probably my issue then, because I'm running NTFS-3G. But I don't know that the convenience of having the Windows partition in my Startup Disk pref pane would be worth losing the ability to write to NTFS volumes in Finder.

Drats.

Thanks for the info though. Nice to know where my problem is.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 27, 2010, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
Hmmm... That is probably my issue then, because I'm running NTFS-3G. But I don't know that the convenience of having the Windows partition in my Startup Disk pref pane would be worth losing the ability to write to NTFS volumes in Finder.

Drats.

Thanks for the info though. Nice to know where my problem is.
I'm running NTFS-3G as well, that'll be the problem then.

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 27, 2010, 08:24 PM

Mac OS X Hints at MacWorld suggests that Snow Leopard has native NTFS support that merely needs a console tweak to enable. This sounds interesting...

Forum Links
Forum Rules