Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > 22% think Obamacare has already been repealed

22% think Obamacare has already been repealed
Dork.
Professional Poster
Mar 13, 2011, 01:58 AM

It's late, and I'm tired. I really should be in bed right now. But then I stumble across this on the Internet:

Maybe folks are getting the recent court rulings confused with an actual "repeal". But that's kind of a weak explanation. The most logical explanation is that I really am asleep, and dreaming that the country (or, at least 22% of it) is extremely stupid. I am dreaming, right?

Right?

andi*pandi
Mar 13, 2011, 08:25 AM

a sad lol

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Mar 13, 2011, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by Dork. View Post
Right?
No.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 13, 2011, 08:51 AM

Since more people said they didn't know or didn't want to answer (which is often a way to avoid saying that they don't know), I think it's less sad about the people than about the complexity of the law-and the litigation.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Mar 13, 2011, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Since more people said they didn't know or didn't want to answer (which is often a way to avoid saying that they don't know), I think it's less sad about the people than about the complexity of the law-and the litigation.
ebuddy

Atheist
Mac Elite
Mar 13, 2011, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
I think it's still sad since it illustrates people's ignorance in the relationship between the legislative and judicial branches of government.

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 13, 2011, 12:32 PM

Sure it does. But if legislators didn't try to shoehorn in every tiny detail they were interested in, and didn't insist on every major piece of legislation being a tome worthy of War and Peace bindings, maybe the regular Joe wouldn't have nearly as much to be confused about.

I am always fascinated by the way most federal bills (if not all of them) include a "severability clause." this simply states that if one facet of the act is deemed invalid, the rest stands on its own. Since so many bills are so interrelated - as in the case of the healthcare act we're discussing and its individual mandate, which is what has been held to be unconstitutional - such severability is just a bad idea. It's like saying "this version of Windows is absolutely wonderful, but even if the user interface modules completely fail, it's still absolutely wonderful."

Of course if more of our schools were aimed at educating rather than meeting some standardized testing metric, regardless of how much real education the students get, maybe good old fashioned "civics" would stick a little better. But that's a different ball of wax.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules