Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > The Anthrax Attacks

View Poll Results: Who committed/ordered the anthrax attacks?
Poll Options:
A covert US intelligence agency. 6 votes (17.65%)
A covert foreign intelligence agency. 2 votes (5.88%)
A disgruntled US citizen. 25 votes (73.53%)
A disgruntled "foreign national". 1 votes (2.94%)
Osama bin Laden. 0 votes (0%)
Saddam Hussein. 0 votes (0%)
Other. 0 votes (0%)
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll
The Anthrax Attacks
Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 16, 2003, 01:05 AM

I was wondering who the folks at MacNN thought was responsible for the anthrax attacks on the US in the weeks following 11/9/2001.

So, who do you think was responsible. If you vote "other" please say who.

theolein
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 16, 2003, 06:20 AM

What happened to anonymous voting, comrade?

I tend to think it was some misguided overly patriotic biowarfare researcher. You know, someone who shares D. Rumsfeld's favourite line, "We hadda kill them to save them". Makes me feel all fuzzy and warm when I read that one
weird wabbit

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 16, 2003, 07:59 AM

Why isn't just "Muslim People" put on the Poll?

Lerkfish
Oct 16, 2003, 08:30 AM

Originally posted by Face Ache:
I was wondering who the folks at MacNN thought was responsible for the anthrax attacks on the US in the weeks following 11/9/2001.

So, who do you think was responsible. If you vote "other" please say who.
I didn't vote only because I have at various times felt several or all of those possibilities.
At times, I doubt the foreign national possibility because the notes involved tried too hard and inaccurately to assign blame to muslims....unless it was intentionally inaccurate?

dunno. the only thing I DO know is its odd how the authorities behaved oddly during the whole thing...first explicitly denying it was terrorism, then going out of their way to point to a specific guy, who holds a press conference saying he's innocent, and THEN dropping the investigation completely (apparently). I mean, I've heard nothing more about it.

very odd. The Robert Ludlum fan in me thinks it could be a black ops operative gone tweaky, who once they found him, did away with him quietly so as not to leave paper trails to other, bigger things.....that's the only scenario I can think of that fits the checkered data, but that doesn't mean that's what happened.

theolein
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 16, 2003, 09:21 AM

Originally posted by Lerkfish:
I didn't vote only because I have at various times felt several or all of those possibilities.
At times, I doubt the foreign national possibility because the notes involved tried too hard and inaccurately to assign blame to muslims....unless it was intentionally inaccurate?

dunno. the only thing I DO know is its odd how the authorities behaved oddly during the whole thing...first explicitly denying it was terrorism, then going out of their way to point to a specific guy, who holds a press conference saying he's innocent, and THEN dropping the investigation completely (apparently). I mean, I've heard nothing more about it.

very odd. The Robert Ludlum fan in me thinks it could be a black ops operative gone tweaky, who once they found him, did away with him quietly so as not to leave paper trails to other, bigger things.....that's the only scenario I can think of that fits the checkered data, but that doesn't mean that's what happened.
Aye, the Robert Ludlum in us all was woken by this little mystery. The one certified case of the use of biological weapons against civillians in mainland USA...

And it still hasn't beeen solved (But they know, no really, they are positively convinced that they'll find WMDs in Iraq, just give them some time)
weird wabbit

clarkgoble
Mac Elite
Oct 16, 2003, 05:59 PM

The one certified case of the use of biological weapons against civillians in mainland USA...

Don't tell Pontiac that...

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 16, 2003, 08:07 PM

It took them a decade to catch the Unibomber. They'll find him/her/it someday, one could hope.
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

RooneyX
Mac Elite
Oct 16, 2003, 08:14 PM

They had American stamps on them.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Oct 17, 2003, 06:39 AM

Originally posted by RooneyX:
They had American stamps on them.
Well, yes; otherwise they couldn't have gotten into the US Postal Service without a return address. Stamps are cheap to buy; thousands are bought every day. In the end, the presence of a US stamp means little.

Now, here's my question: was it due to a blunder that one of the envelopes burst inside the Brentwood postal facility in Washington, or was that intentional?

Consider: if you mail an anthrax letter to someone and they get it, they die and that's it. A few people get scared. But if the letter bursts inside the post office, you've just shut down the entire postal system served by that branch (which, since they're organized semi-hierarchically, can take out very large areas at once). That scares a lot more people, no?
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Lerkfish
Oct 17, 2003, 09:00 AM

Originally posted by Millennium:
Well, yes; otherwise they couldn't have gotten into the US Postal Service without a return address. Stamps are cheap to buy; thousands are bought every day. In the end, the presence of a US stamp means little.

Now, here's my question: was it due to a blunder that one of the envelopes burst inside the Brentwood postal facility in Washington, or was that intentional?

Consider: if you mail an anthrax letter to someone and they get it, they die and that's it. A few people get scared. But if the letter bursts inside the post office, you've just shut down the entire postal system served by that branch (which, since they're organized semi-hierarchically, can take out very large areas at once). That scares a lot more people, no?
very interesting angle...hadn't thought of that.
I award you the title of "Honorary Robert Ludlum Fan".

Slaveway
Forum Regular
Oct 17, 2003, 01:57 PM

I had heard that the Anthrax used was 'Military Grade' stuff.
Highly refined, not something your Unabomber type could cook in garage labratory.

faragbre967
Senior User
Oct 18, 2003, 05:51 PM

Originally posted by Slaveway:
I had heard that the Anthrax used was 'Military Grade' stuff.
Highly refined, not something your Unabomber type could cook in garage labratory.
And from what I remember reading, it isn't that hard to get in the old Soviet countries, as long as you have the money.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 19, 2003, 05:46 AM

Originally posted by faragbre967:
And from what I remember reading, it isn't that hard to get in the old Soviet countries, as long as you have the money.
It has long been established beyond a doubt (through traces of chemicals used during purification) that this Anthrax came from US weapons labs.

-s*

theolein
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 19, 2003, 01:27 PM

Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:
It has long been established beyond a doubt (through traces of chemicals used during purification) that this Anthrax came from US weapons labs.

-s*
And that those weapons labs were in Fort Detrick, Maryland.

How many times have I posted on this subject and now we get the "clued up" average member of public, such as faragbre967 who does not even know the faintest thing about the attacks and would be quite willing, being prodded by Foxnews et al, to connect this to Saddam or Al Qaida.

I find it so frustrating at times, because the public is so easy to decieve. I sometimes think that there could be a military coup in the US, and the public wouldn't even notice.
weird wabbit

Lerkfish
Oct 19, 2003, 04:20 PM

Originally posted by theolein:
And that those weapons labs were in Fort Detrick, Maryland.

How many times have I posted on this subject and now we get the "clued up" average member of public, such as faragbre967 who does not even know the faintest thing about the attacks and would be quite willing, being prodded by Foxnews et al, to connect this to Saddam or Al Qaida.

I find it so frustrating at times, because the public is so easy to decieve. I sometimes think that there could be a military coup in the US, and the public wouldn't even notice.
I think its the nature of the beast. People believe what they fear to believe or what they want to believe. Note this does not require proof or accuracy to occur.

Forum Links
Forum Rules