Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Ain't that America?

Ain't that America?
Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 20, 2003, 11:51 PM

From here:

I have just returned to my Baghdad hotel, on Abu Nuwas Street which runs along the east bank of the Tigris, when a US Humvee roars past. Blaring from a block of six big speakers strapped to its rooftop is John Mellencamp's 1980s American anthem Pink Houses: Ain't that America? You and me! Ain't that America? Something to seeeee!
Ain't that America?

Not necessarily.

Time to Take Back Our Country

By JOHN and ELAINE MELLENCAMP

As the echo of the war drums fades away and the angry masses calling for blood slowly disperse, we, as a nation must now confront the truth. We face the unpleasant reality of an uncertain future, compromised safety, a failing economy, and the question of how a society of otherwise reasonable citizens was systematically lied to and manipulated into backing the political "hijacking" of Iraq.

Before a single bomb was ever dropped, some of us, formerly called the "anti-American and unpatriotic," have questioned or opposed this war. Now, each day, as the dust settles and the truth slowly surfaces, more and more people come to the inevitable conclusion of what a debacle this whole war was.

39,000 bombs later, no weapons of mass destruction uncovered, no dangerous dictators captured, no connection to Sept 11. What have we gained but relentless media coverage of a fallen statue and some stolen oil fields -- the spoils of this misadventure. Not to mention lucrative corporate payoffs and an enormous price tag of over 80 Billion dollars . . . some tax cut.

But what have we lost? We have lost the lives of over 300 Americans. Approximately 2 U.S. troop deaths each day, 193 deaths since the war was declared over. In total, an estimated 20,000 people have died, thus far, in this conflict.

In addition to the lives given for this effort, our nation has suffered the loss of respect within the world community, particularly the United Nations. We have managed to squander any goodwill we once had to now succeed in solidifying our image as the globe's leading bully. Arrogant and thoughtless.

The word Democracy means literally "by the people." This is the basis of our government and society. It is what this country was founded upon and what makes us American. It is not just our "right" but also our duty to speak out and voice our thoughts and opinions. How, then, was it possible that, in the land of freedom, those who opposed the common opinion were called"un-American?" Resentfully, we wonder.

The song "To Washington" was met with criticism and was labeled an anti-war song. That was not at all the case or intention; it was merely a report of the political climate, in the age-old tradition of the troubadour spreading the news through song and story. Professionally, we, the Mellencamps, have the opportunity to travel extensively, and we take full advantage of that by talking to, listening to, and experiencing the diversity our vast country has to offer. The lyrics of "To Washington" are not just a personal opinion, but also the view from a very wide horizon.

Who is to say what is or isn't "patriotic?" Do the flags that wave from every minivan really offer any support? Where is the support for the thousands of service men and women who return to the states to see their benefits cut, their health problems ignored, their jobs gone and their families living in poverty? How are they repaid for their efforts; for risking or losing their lives? So far, dismally.

This nation was founded to enable freedom and diversity of opinion, and many lives have been lost to secure that liberty. Paradoxically, some still resist the open mindedness that is the very foundation of this country.

The Governor of California was removed from office based on finance troubles. And yet George W Bush has lied to us, failed to keep our own borders secure, entered a war under false pretense, endangered lives, and created financial chaos. How is it that he hasn't been recalled? Perhaps this time we could even have a real election . . . but that wouldn't fit the Bush administration's "take what you want and fire people later" policy. Take an election; take an oil field; take advantage of your own people -- a game of political Three-Card Monte.

The fight for freedom in this country has been long, painful, and ongoing. It is time to take back our country. Take it back from political agendas, corporate greed and overall manipulation. It is time to take action here in our land, in our own schools, neighborhoods, farms, and businesses. We have been lied to and terrorized by our own government, and it is time to take action. Now is the time to come together.

John and Eileen Mellencamp live in southern Indiana. John's latest album is Trouble No More, featuring covers of blues and r & b songs.
Ain't THAT America.

I hear the Dixie Chicks are his new backup singers.

moki
Ambrosia - el Presidente
Oct 20, 2003, 11:57 PM

Note to John: stick to making music, you're good at it. There's really nothing else of substance here to comment on.
Andrew Welch / el Presidente / Ambrosia Software, Inc.

RooneyX
Mac Elite
Oct 20, 2003, 11:58 PM

Rebel voices and peaceful protest rules.

RooneyX
Mac Elite
Oct 21, 2003, 12:00 AM

Originally posted by moki:
Note to John: stick to making music, you're good at it. There's really nothing else of substance here to comment on.
Oh well, you just lost half your potential customers.

Face Ache  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 21, 2003, 12:25 AM

You don't see the irony between the first and second quotes?

John Mellencamp: American patriot. Writer of anthems for rednecks. Anti-Bush.

Sticks in your craw, don't it.

Face Ache  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 21, 2003, 12:27 AM

Question for Republicans: Which celebrity Republicans do you admire?

Zimphire
Baninated
Oct 21, 2003, 12:32 AM

I don't admire any pretentious celebrity that takes advantage of his or her position to mouth off about something they aren't too schooled about.

Wow, a washed up 80s Rocker is a Democrat

Surprising.

RooneyX
Mac Elite
Oct 21, 2003, 12:35 AM

Originally posted by Zimphire:
I don't admire any pretentious celebrity that takes advantage of his or her position to mouth off about something they aren't too schooled about.
Oh come on, you think John Ashcroft, Arnold Schwarzenegger and George Bush actually have a brain cell between them?

Zimphire
Baninated
Oct 21, 2003, 12:46 AM

Originally posted by RooneyX:
Oh come on, you think John Ashcroft, Arnold Schwarzenegger and George Bush actually have a brain cell between them?
I have my doubts about Arnold.

RooneyX
Mac Elite
Oct 21, 2003, 12:47 AM

I have my doubts about Arnold.
And he's the most intelligent out of the three

Face Ache  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 21, 2003, 12:49 AM

Surprising.
If I have forever ruined John Mellencamp music for you, then my work here is done.

R.O.C.K. in the USA.

So what does a republican anthem sound like I wonder? Dueling Banjos?

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 21, 2003, 12:50 AM

But this is a masterpiece?

moki
Ambrosia - el Presidente
Oct 21, 2003, 12:59 AM

Originally posted by Face Ache:

Nah, not at all. I like JCM and his music -- he has his views on things, and I have mine. I won't get nearly as much attention from any statements I make, but it's the same thing.

Zimphire
Baninated
Oct 21, 2003, 01:08 AM

And he's the most intelligent out of the three

pooka
Mac Elite
Oct 21, 2003, 01:29 AM

So what does a republican anthem sound like I wonder? Dueling Banjos?
The Aussie Propaganda Machine� is once again doing it's part to tear down great American icons. Don't believe his lies and sample a few inspirational pieces used by conservatives around the world to bring peace and understanding to the hearts of all men.

New, Improved and Legal in 50 States

BlackGriffen
Professional Poster
Oct 21, 2003, 02:39 AM

Eh, why shouldn't he comment on things? After all, if rich folks get to spend their money any way they want no matter how it will effect the election because of freedom of speech, I don't see why celebrities can't speak their mind.

Like Swartzenbuffer... Alright, I admit it! I never bothered to learn how to spell that muscle bound moron's last name, and I don't care to now. Point being, that if an actor can go in to politics like Arnold and Ronald Reagan, then they can certainly speak their minds.

BG

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Oct 21, 2003, 06:14 AM

Has anyone listened to the lyrics for "Ain't That America"?

Patriotic it ain't. Quite the opposite, actually, and no I don't mean that in the Shrubbery Patriotism sense. Wonderful song, but just like with Springsteen's "Born in the USA" it's often mistaken for being some sort of flag-waving anthem, when it's actually some pretty scathing commentary. In Springsteen's case it was a commentary on the plight of homeless Vietnam veterans. In Mellencamp's case... well... take a listen for yourself.

And then check out the acoustic version of "Born in the USA". The point of the song comes across much more clearly in that version.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 21, 2003, 06:29 AM

Originally posted by Millennium:

Patriotic it ain't. Quite the opposite, actually, and no I don't mean that in the Shrubbery Patriotism sense. Wonderful song, but just like with Springsteen's "Born in the USA" it's often mistaken for being some sort of flag-waving anthem, when it's actually some pretty scathing commentary. In Springsteen's case it was a commentary on the plight of homeless Vietnam veterans. In Mellencamp's case... well... take a listen for yourself.

And then check out the acoustic version of "Born in the USA". The point of the song comes across much more clearly in that version.
Yes, and I love how Reagan's campaign used Born in the USA as their themesong without understanding the real meaning of the song at all. (This was before Springsteen got word of it and stopped them, I believe)

Kind of like the Creedence Clearwater Revival song "Fortunate Son" which was used recently for a very patriotic commercial (for pickups I believe). They only used the first two lines, and completely ignored the fact that the song is hardly a patriotic anthem.

Zimphire
Baninated
Oct 21, 2003, 06:41 AM

If I have forever ruined John Mellencamp music for you, then my work here is done.
Never liked it in the first place.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 21, 2003, 07:22 AM

Originally posted by Icruise:
Yes, and I love how Reagan's campaign used Born in the USA as their themesong without understanding the real meaning of the song at all. (This was before Springsteen got word of it and stopped them, I believe)
And kind of like how the Village People's "YMCA" is an oft-sung anthem at American church camps - or so I'm told by recovering participants.

-s*

christ
Professional Poster
Oct 21, 2003, 07:34 AM

Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:
And kind of like how the Village People's "YMCA" is an oft-sung anthem at American church camps - or so I'm told by recovering participants.

-s*
And why shouldn't it be? As the clergy is now (admittedly) as gay as the congregation, this strikes me as particularly apposite.
Chris. T.

"... in 6 months if WMD are found, I hope all clear-thinking people who opposed the war will say "You're right, we were wrong -- good job". Similarly, if after 6 months no WMD are found, people who supported the war should say the same thing -- and move to impeach Mr. Bush." - moki, 04/16/03

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 21, 2003, 07:39 AM

Thanks for pointing that out. Mellencamp has been pretty political in his music over the years. Scarecrow is a powerful piece of lyric when you really listen to it. Little Pink Houses is actually the wife's favorite song of the week just by coincidence, and it's filled with irony that completely escapes the patriotic crowd that only hears the word "America," and whips out their little flags to wave along, in their blissful ignorance. Amusing, but sad.

I especially love it when conservatives tell liberal musicians to "stick to making music" as though music never contains any political or social import. Mellencamp is speaking out politically at times from his music, and his statement pasted above is not at all different from the content of his lyrics. But I bet if he made that statement rhyme, and put it to music, The rednecks would just pick out the word America whenever it cruised past, and assume he was a gung-ho, apple pie, shoot-em dead, Nascar junkie just like them.

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 21, 2003, 08:04 AM

Originally posted by christ:
And why shouldn't it be? As the clergy is now (admittedly) as gay as the congregation, this strikes me as particularly apposite.
Of course. But it's rather similar to the examples cited above in that, while appropriate, its message is quite the opposite of the *intended* or assumed message.

Another fine example: Phillips consumer electronics adopted the Beatles chorus "Have to admit it's getting better" at the end of the TV ads for a while (here in Europe). Every single time I heard the line, my mind inadvertently added the backing vocals from the original:

"It can't get much worse."

Dangers of using pop classics in advertising.

-s*

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 21, 2003, 08:08 AM

Seeing as nobody's posted them so far, here's the lyrics:

Pink Houses Lyrics
John Mellencamp
Best That I Could

There's a black man with a black cat
Living in a black neighbourhood
He's got an interstate runnin' through his front yard
You know, he think, that he's got it so good
And there's a woman in the kitchen cleanin' up the evening slop
And he looks at her and says: "Hey darling, I can remember when you could stop a clock"

CHORUS:
Oh but ain't that America for you and me
Ain't that America we're someting to see baby
Ain't that America, home of the free
Little pink houses for you and me

Well there's a young man in a t-shirt
Listening to a rockin' rollin' station
He's got a greasy hair, greasy smile
He says: "Lord, this must be my destination"
'Cuz they told me, when I was younger
"Boy, you're gonna be president"
But just like everyting else, those old crazy dreams
Just kinda came and went

CHORUS:

Well there's people and more people
What do they know know know
Go to work in some high rise
And vacation down at the Gulf of Mexico
Ohhh Yeah
And there's winners, and there's losers
But they ain't no big deal
'Cuz the simple man baby pays for the thrills,
The bills and the pills that kill

CHORUS:

Lerkfish
Oct 21, 2003, 09:41 AM

Note to Andrew: stick to writing software, you're good at it. There's nothing else you say politically of substance to comment on.

eklipse
Professional Poster
Oct 21, 2003, 09:50 AM

Originally posted by Lerkfish:
Note to Andrew: stick to writing software, you're good at it. There's nothing else you say politically of substance to comment on.
Completely pointless ad hominem attack, as per usual. Do you ever have anything ELSE to contribute other than abusing other members?

NYCFarmboy
Mac Elite
Oct 21, 2003, 09:56 AM

exactly.

All these left wing celebs that make all their money off the masses get a guilt complex. Sort of like the children of the rich supporting Peta etc.

Something to soothe their guilt ridden soul.

If it bothers Mellencamp/Baldwin/Surrandon so much why don't they give ALL their money away and get a job.

But.. in the meantime..get back up on stage and sing.

Lerkfish
Oct 21, 2003, 10:08 AM

Originally posted by NYCFarmboy:
exactly.

All these left wing celebs that make all their money off the masses get a guilt complex. Sort of like the children of the rich supporting Peta etc.

Something to soothe their guilt ridden soul.

If it bothers Mellencamp/Baldwin/Surrandon so much why don't they give ALL their money away and get a job.

But.. in the meantime..get back up on stage and sing.
hmmm..then what is the motivation for Schwarzenegger?

RooneyX
Mac Elite
Oct 21, 2003, 10:51 AM

Rightwing fascist schmuck, don't you know you are a threat to global peace and that the most patriotic song in the world was written by Prophet Woody Allen and goes something like this:

Rebels are we
Born to be free
Just like the fish in the sea!

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 21, 2003, 11:42 AM

I'm reminded of Bob Roberts, and his protest song "The Times they're a'changin'-- back."

Let's see MOKI and Zimph admonish Ted Nugent the next time he opens his big, fat mouth.

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 21, 2003, 12:01 PM

Originally posted by Icruise:
Yes, and I love how Reagan's campaign used Born in the USA as their themesong without understanding the real meaning of the song at all. (This was before Springsteen got word of it and stopped them, I believe).
Actually, Reagan was already president when Born in the USA was released, and was three months away from the landslide election against Mondale (1984).

Bob Dole used the song when he pulled into a campaign stop in Red Bank, NJ (about 3 miles form me). He issued a press release stating "Just for the record, I'd like to make it clear that (the song) was used without my permission and I am not a supporter of the Republican ticket." Bruce asked the Dole campaign to not play it again, and the kind and classy Dole obliged.

You may want to get your facts straight.

RooneyX
Mac Elite
Oct 21, 2003, 12:06 PM

The Real American President

christ
Professional Poster
Oct 21, 2003, 12:15 PM

Originally posted by spacefreak:
Actually, Reagan was already president when Born in the USA was released, and was three months away from the landslide election against Mondale (1984).

...You may want to get your facts straight.
And actually, Reagan campaigned again, later, for re-election, and used 'Born in the USA', and Springsteen as examples during that campaign.

Facts? shmacts.
Chris. T.

"... in 6 months if WMD are found, I hope all clear-thinking people who opposed the war will say "You're right, we were wrong -- good job". Similarly, if after 6 months no WMD are found, people who supported the war should say the same thing -- and move to impeach Mr. Bush." - moki, 04/16/03

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 21, 2003, 02:43 PM

Good God. It's pathetic how little you know about America, or Americans, yet you're obsessed with both.

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Oct 21, 2003, 02:46 PM

Bob Dole used the song when he pulled into a campaign stop in Red Bank, NJ (about 3 miles form me). He issued a press release stating "Just for the record, I'd like to make it clear that (the song) was used without my permission and I am not a supporter of the Republican ticket." Bruce asked the Dole campaign to not play it again, and the kind and classy Dole obliged.

hmm.

I know a girl in Red Bank that I see pretty often.

Leave her alone. I got dibs on her.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Oct 21, 2003, 02:56 PM

You're three miles away from Red Bank? Where, exactly? I used to live in Eatontown (where Ft. Monmouth and the Monmouth Mall are).

Lerkfish
Oct 21, 2003, 03:50 PM

Originally posted by CRASH HARDDRIVE:
Good God. It's pathetic how little you know about America, or Americans, yet you're obsessed with both.
what was wrong with what face ache said?
In fact, I would have said the same thing. Are you now going to claim I know nothing about america or americans?

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 21, 2003, 03:59 PM

what was wrong with what face ache said?
In fact, I would have said the same thing. Are you now going to claim I know nothing about america or americans?
First of all, both of you obviously never paid a whit of attention to the lyrics of "Little Pink Houses" if you thought it was a 'Redneck anthem', or that it was high on anyone's relevance list in the year 2003.

Ohhhh big deal, some reporter who also didn't know what the song meant heard it playing in Iraq.

And I guess I wouldn't put it past you to think you knew a lot about Australia by misunderstanding 1980's era Midnight Oil lyrics, or thinking you're being even remotely relevant by trashing Paul Hogan movies. That'd be about the same level of 'commentary' as Face Ache generally serves up when dealing with the US of his fantasies.
( Last edited by CRASH HARDDRIVE; Oct 21, 2003 at 04:11 PM. )

moki
Ambrosia - el Presidente
Oct 21, 2003, 03:59 PM

Hush, Millennium, the reality of the situation is not important here.

christ
Professional Poster
Oct 21, 2003, 04:12 PM

Patriotic it ain't. Quite the opposite, actually...
So I wonder why the guys in the Humvee were playing it?
Chris. T.

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 21, 2003, 04:22 PM

So I wonder why the guys in the Humvee were playing it?
Because one of them just happend to LIKE the song?

Nah. That's too simple.

Must have been so that some dork reporter for some birdcage liner could misinterpret it for some deep dark poltical meaning.

Another conspiracy unfolds!

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 21, 2003, 04:28 PM

Originally posted by nonhuman:
You're three miles away from Red Bank? Where, exactly? I used to live in Eatontown (where Ft. Monmouth and the Monmouth Mall are).
Rumson...right over the bridge from Sea Bright.

I know Fort Monmouth and Monmouth Mall well, for I grew up in the area and returned a few years after college (a stint in LA, and some backpacking through Europe).

I have been toying with the idea of selling my house and moving down south, where my money will go a bit further.

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 21, 2003, 04:31 PM

And actually, Reagan campaigned again, later, for re-election, and used 'Born in the USA', and Springsteen as examples during that campaign.
Even with your link, I see no evidence of Reagan using 'Born in the USA' on the campaign trail, nor do I see an incident where Springsteen asked Reagan to not play the song.

Lerkfish
Oct 21, 2003, 04:44 PM

First of all, both of you obviously never paid a whit of attention to the lyrics of "Little Pink Houses" if you thought it was a 'Redneck anthem', or that it was high on anyone's relevance list in the year 2003.

Ohhhh big deal, some reporter who also didn't know what the song meant heard it playing in Iraq.

And I guess I wouldn't put it past you to think you knew a lot about Australia by misunderstanding 1980's era Midnight Oil lyrics, or thinking you're being even remotely relevant by trashing Paul Hogan movies. That'd be about the same level of 'commentary' as Face Ache generally serves up when dealing with the US of his fantasies.
what the hell are you smoking?

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 21, 2003, 04:57 PM

what the hell are you smoking?
The term is smoking out.

The answer is dimwitted liberals.

And look... here you are!

RooneyX
Mac Elite
Oct 21, 2003, 05:15 PM

So I guess a citizen cannot criticize government anymore. The patriotic thing to do now is to take it up the shaft when things are going from worse to worser.

Why not just install a dictator and forget about democracy is that's the case?

Lerkfish
Oct 21, 2003, 05:40 PM

The term is smoking out.

The answer is dimwitted liberals.

And look... here you are!

my, my you're a pleasant person. See, this is the pattern..as soon as liberals make irrefutable arguments in a too many threads, the conservatives send in the thugs to bust a few heads.

aint gonna work anymore, kiddo.

Lerkfish
Oct 21, 2003, 05:42 PM

So I guess a citizen cannot criticize government anymore. The patriotic thing to do now is to take it up the shaft when things are going from worse to worser.

Why not just install a dictator and forget about democracy is that's the case?
well, see this is where the conservatives really shine...they really, really hate diversity of thought or opinion. They get really testy and start slinging hate....

RooneyX
Mac Elite
Oct 21, 2003, 05:49 PM

my, my you're a pleasant person. See, this is the pattern..as soon as liberals make irrefutable arguments in a too many threads, the conservatives send in the thugs to bust a few heads.

aint gonna work anymore, kiddo.
You confuse me Lerkish. Dunno sometimes if you is with us or against us ( )

One moment you're a Christian fundamentalist and the next you're a liberal democrat.

quandarry
Oct 21, 2003, 06:45 PM

Surprising.
huh?!!?

you can and do do it all the time...but if he does it he's not schooled in it...

again you are all knowing and all seeing and a legend in your own mind!

Forum Links
Forum Rules