Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > On cars and party affiliation

On cars and party affiliation
OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 2, 2012, 02:13 PM

With the United States’ election season in full swing, a study released last week revealed which cars are most likely to be driven by Republicans and which are most likely to have a Democrat at the wheel.

The results of Strategic Vision’s study aren’t that surprising – Democrats seem to favor smaller, more eco-friendly cars and niche products like wagons, while Republicans prefer convertibles, trucks, SUVs and large luxury cars. But that’s not to say that there are a few eyebrow-raisers. What strategic vision groups as “multi function” vehicles – wagons, five-door hatchbacks and the like – are far more likely to be purchased by Democrats, even if they have a luxury label attached.

Among individual segments, Democrats are more likely to be found in smaller cars and SUVs, while Republicans were overwhelmingly likely to drive big SUVs, convertibles and pickups.

Meanwhile, those who identified as Libertarian are the youngest – with a median age of 48 – and the most affluent – with a median annual income of $93,000 – of those surveyed. Strategic Vision did not release a list of the cars that have the strongest percentage of Libertarian owners.

The survey was conducted over two years, and its biggest findings were the vehicles most likely to be found in a Democrat or a Republican’s garage. The following ten cars had the highest rates of either Democrat or Republican ownership; in other words, if you see one on the road, odds are good that the owner is either a Republican or a Democrat.

The five strongest cars for Democrats
1. Honda Civic Hybrid
2. Volvo C30
3. Nissan Leaf
4. Acura TSX Wagon
5. Ford Fiesta Sedan

The five strongest cars for Republicans
1. Ford Mustang Convertible
2. Audi A8
3. Mercedes-Benz GL-Class
4. Ford Expedition
5. Ford F-150
Study reveals cars favored by Democrats and Republicans

Damn! Now there is absolutely nothing on the Democrats list that even remotely interests me. And I really like that new Audi A8. Even though I think it's way too big and way too conservative in its exterior styling ... it still manages to catch my eye because the interior is especially elegant. While Audi has stepped up its game with the new design ... it still has that "old man car" vibe to it. Maybe by the time I hit that age group I'll be down with the GOP and it'll be cool for me to get one. You never know.

OAW

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Apr 4, 2012, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by OAW View Post
Study reveals cars favored by Democrats and Republicans

Damn! Now there is absolutely nothing on the Democrats list that even remotely interests me. And I really like that new Audi A8. Even though I think it's way too big and way too conservative in its exterior styling ... it still manages to catch my eye because the interior is especially elegant. While Audi has stepped up its game with the new design ... it still has that "old man car" vibe to it. Maybe by the time I hit that age group I'll be down with the GOP and it'll be cool for me to get one. You never know.

OAW
I wonder how families or even large families shape the car choice and how that demo plays out politically. i.e. you're not driving more than one kid and his baseball stuff in the Honda Hybrid. Just my .02 for the thread. Besides, I've already got you pegged as a closet-conservative, just waiting to burst out of your shell!
ebuddy

OAW  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 4, 2012, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by ebuddy View Post
I wonder how families or even large families shape the car choice and how that demo plays out politically. i.e. you're not driving more than one kid and his baseball stuff in the Honda Hybrid. Just my .02 for the thread.
It's certainly a factor for me. If it wasn't for a couple of kids I would have ditched my CTS sedan for the CTS coupe when it hit the scene. And younger, single people tend to vote Democrat so you have a point there.

Besides, I've already got you pegged as a closet-conservative, just waiting to burst out of your shell!
Well I don't know about closet-conservative. But as quiet as its kept ... I have voted Republican in various races in the past. It's not beyond the realm of possibilities that I could that way again in the future. If the "Jack Kemp" style of Republican weren't such a dying breed ... you might be surprised at just how often my friend.

OAW

andi*pandi
Apr 4, 2012, 10:51 AM

artice has no link to the full study, I was curious to see the rest of the list.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Apr 4, 2012, 11:07 AM

you're not driving more than one kid and his baseball stuff in the Honda Hybrid.
Seriously? Two kids, two gloves and two bats won't fit in a Civic?

I'd love to know where people's ridiculous ideas of how many kids they can fit into a car has come from. When I was a kid, I recall being driven around with two other kids in the back of numerous hatchbacks and saloons. For some reason people have one kid these days and somehow make the calculation that something less than a foot long and only capable of eating and shitting itself requires a 7-seat vehicle to be ferried about in.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Apr 4, 2012, 11:36 AM

My little Fiesta is causing some problems after the birth of our little guy.

In order for me to fit his carseat in the back seat, we have to scoot the front passenger seat all the way forward, rendering it incapable of seating anyone with legs. The wife sits behind me, and the trunk's inability to house both of our suitcases makes it unusable for our several week-long conference trips per year. We usually have to resort to her Accord.

Still, I love my Fiesta.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Apr 4, 2012, 11:49 AM

My parents always had two door coupes or three door hatchbacks when I was growing up (Mustang, Prelude, GTi, 9-3). Even when I was in my teenage years and headed towards 6'4", the largest car we had as a Mustang GT.

Forum Links
Forum Rules