Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Hulu

Hulu
subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 27, 2019, 09:24 PM

Worth it for someone (my dad) who only wants movies and not TV shows?

reader50
Administrator
Jun 27, 2019, 10:42 PM

Might depend on which movies.

The main problem I have with the streaming platforms, is none of them are cross-licensing. They're all making original content (good), doing original exclusive runs (ok), and then ... sitting on the content (very bad).

So you have to sign up for who-knows-how-many services to reach most content. Getting worse as more services spring up. Compulsory licensing after the first year of exclusivity would fix it.

Admittedly, this applies more to shows than movies. But some studios *cough* (Disney) *cough* are pulling popular movie series, to exclusively air on their streaming service too. A trend that may catch on.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Jun 28, 2019, 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
A trend that may catch on.
That has already caught on. The golden age of streaming is done and dusted.

We are about to go from Netflix and Amazon Prime pretty much covering you (and AP is really a benefit of overall Prime membership anyway) to Netflix, Amazon, Apple TV, Disney, Hulu, CBS, NowTV, Sky and over here Britbox as well. With little of no overlap in shows.
I think that the multiplicity of companies now offering streaming in return for payment are about to discover that people really really liked watching all these huge shows AS LONG AS IT WAS REASONABLY CHEAP.

In the UK people will bear with a Sky subscription because the BBC etc is free to air. A sizeable majority also spring for Netflix and/or Amazon as they both offer broad spectrum access. Once it fragments and each service is asking the same £10 a month I feel the whole streaming eco system will collapse.

The only alternative would be to offer pay as you go viewing but in the region of pennies per show not the current several pounds (dollars)
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

andi*pandi
Jun 28, 2019, 11:27 AM

Movies on any of the services are somewhat lame.

Pretty soon there will be too many individual apps to join, install, monthly fees... not going to do that. If only there were some kind of network of entertainment providers that I could just join once...

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 28, 2019, 08:36 PM

Yeah, meh to all the wanna be streaming services now popping up.

I haven’t paid for any streaming service or cable in more than 10 years.

I get Amazon Prime video “free” with Prime (I subscribed even before they had videos), and I get Netflix free with T-Mobile.
Let’s see how Apple is going to entice existing customers for their video offering, but I’m not willing to pay anyone for a standalone video subscription.

This is going the way of cable. You end up subscribing to $100 worth of channels services to get everything covered. Progress ? me thinks not.

-t

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 29, 2019, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
Might depend on which movies.
I guess I’m even trying to get an idea of what the general movie to TV ratio is compared to Netflix.

Forum Links
Forum Rules