Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Motorola RAZR connection options

Motorola RAZR connection options
homehandyman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 5, 2006, 09:21 AM

First, I need to be able to tie in my RAZR with my Powerbook G4 for a conference call. The goal is to hook the incoming phone call into speakers attached to my Powerbook so everyone in a meeting room can hear the call. I'm sure this is possible, and my Powerbook does have Bluetooth, but how do I accomplish this? Is supplemental software required?

On another subject, I still can't get my RAZR to function as a modem. I have the web-based connection options with Cingular, but I suspect this is not the proper plan. My Powerbook can see the phone via Bluetooth, but using the various log-in procedures described elsewhere, it always fails at the authentication stage.

Thanks for any help,

Ray

ghporter
Administrator
May 5, 2006, 09:39 AM

The only way I've found to get the RAZR to work as a modem is by using Motorola's Mobile Phone Tools software-which is Windows only.

I haven't the faintest clue about using a PowerBook as a speakerphone in any way... But the only things I've been able to do with a RAZR and a Mac has been to use iSync to sync phone book lists. Other people have reported using Bluetooth to transfer photos and sound files, but that's all I've seen done. The RAZR is definitely Windows-oriented right now.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

mark9939
Mac Enthusiast
May 9, 2006, 11:28 PM

I would check out howardforums.com. That's where I've been educating myself on my new RAZR. Mine in particular is a Verzon one, and they've unfortunately disabled many Bluetooth features that would allow the phone to work well with a Mac. Good luck!
MBP 1.83 GHz CD/iPod 30GB

rtdunham
Forum Regular
May 15, 2006, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter
the only things I've been able to do with a RAZR and a Mac has been to use iSync to sync phone book lists
do you mean syncing with Address Book? or simply moving the phone's own list of names and numbers back and forth via iSync?

(I'm looking to switch from my treo 650 to a slim phone, but syncing ability is a prerequisite. I'm with sprint, which would seemingly direct me to the samsung a900 but i'm willing to switch carriers if i must. Is there a good source of info on the syncing capabilities of various phones?)

thanks
terry

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
May 15, 2006, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter
The only way I've found to get the RAZR to work as a modem is by using Motorola's Mobile Phone Tools software-which is Windows only.

I haven't the faintest clue about using a PowerBook as a speakerphone in any way... But the only things I've been able to do with a RAZR and a Mac has been to use iSync to sync phone book lists. Other people have reported using Bluetooth to transfer photos and sound files, but that's all I've seen done. The RAZR is definitely Windows-oriented right now.
Not at all. I have my RAZR set up to allow Bluetooth internet use on my PowerBook, and it wasn't very hard to set it up (partially because I had the experience of doing it with my Sony Ericson phone earlier). I can also sync iCal and address book, as you say, and send and receive MIDI files (for ring tones) and photos (so I can get my photos off of the RAZR and put wallpaper onto it). I only know how to set it up for Cingular, but you should be able to find out how to do it for other carriers as well (there's really nothing RAZR-specific about it -- you just have to know what number, name and password you have to use to connect).

There's actually quite a bit of info on Google if you want to look, but to start out you need to download the proper modem script from here. You want the Motorola GPRS CID1 script in the "Scripts for Motorola GPRS phones" package.

ghporter
Administrator
May 15, 2006, 08:56 PM

It seems that Bluetooth makes the thing platform independent (at least to some extent). Being Bluetooth-deficient (computerwise), I didn't know about how many things you could do with a Bluetooth connection to a Mac. Sorry for the FUD.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

hab
Forum Regular
May 21, 2006, 01:59 PM

Are you all using iSync to sync AddressBook? I have iSync 1.5 on my Panther OSX 10.3.9 iMac and my computer does connect to the RAZR and I am able to move photos over from the phone. However, when I go to Bluetooth device set up, the iSync options are greyed out. Also, iSync does not pick up the RAZR. Do I need Tiger 10.4 or is there something else I am missing?

Thanks for any suggestions.
21.5" iMac 2.7GHz i5; 15" FP iMac 0.8GHz G4, iPhone 5S

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
May 21, 2006, 07:24 PM

In order to sync the RAZR with iSync using bluetooth, you do need Tiger. However, you can use a USB cable to do it in Panther.

hab
Forum Regular
May 22, 2006, 03:06 AM

Originally Posted by Icruise
In order to sync the RAZR with iSync using bluetooth, you do need Tiger. However, you can use a USB cable to do it in Panther.
Way cool. The USB works like a charm! Thanks very much for the tip.
21.5" iMac 2.7GHz i5; 15" FP iMac 0.8GHz G4, iPhone 5S

ntsmedia
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 19, 2006, 03:40 PM

Thanks for the help here on using a RAZR with a MacBook!

The Motorola GPRS CID1 script does appear work IF you set things up right. I say "appears" because I bought an unlocked phone with a SIM card for Italy and a T-Mobile card just to get started and have something to allow making USA calls. The T-Mobile prepaid card does not include the ability to use the internect though I did connect. A page saying my service didn't allow use came up instead of any entered URLs. I assume that by having the right "plan" it would have worked.

This might not be a limitation in Italy using the TIM SIM card ... I haven't been there to test it yet though. If anyone knows ... please advise!

What I don't understand is why I can't simply use the cell phone to call in to a standard or roaming dial-in service like MaGlobe. Is this possible?

I must say that this technology is promising but overly complex. One thing that makes it worse is the cell phone service providers altering/locking the phones. Imagine having your computer ONLY able to use RoadRunner because they gave you a "deal" on the computer and locked your network! But I'm a minority that does not need to have the coolest new gadget as long as what I've purchased still works well.

mrplow
Jun 25, 2006, 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by mark9939
I would check out howardforums.com. That's where I've been educating myself on my new RAZR. Mine in particular is a Verzon one, and they've unfortunately disabled many Bluetooth features that would allow the phone to work well with a Mac. Good luck!

There is a way to reflash the phone and re-enable these features. I also have a verizon RAZR and have it setup not only to work with iSync but transfer files etc... i havent got it working as a modem, though

Heavy Fluid
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 5, 2006, 10:33 AM

Verizon cripples their phones too much. After doing a little research, I am glad that my wife and I opted to go with Cingular and the black RAZR. After setting up the Bluetooth, I can transfer wallpapers, games, applications, MP3 and .mid ringtones. I have also synced with iSync to transfer phone numbers to keep as a back up. Twice I have ruined previous phones, and had no back up of the numerous numbers.

I still don't understand the sync function on the phone, and haven't found any information on it, including on HowardForums. Is there a way to sync using the phone to computer, instead of computer to phone?
In a barrier free world, who needs Windows™ and Gates?

Forum Links
Forum Rules