Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Discoloration Wristpad and Trackpad

Discoloration Wristpad and Trackpad
frankthetank966
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 16, 2006, 10:29 AM

I have had my 2.0 Duo Core Macbook for 2-3 months. The trackpd and the wristpads are now turning brown and it is becoming very obvious. Does anybody know what the warranty covers with this issue? I am very frustrated. I bought the Invisible Shield for the Macbook and it doesn't help. What can I do to fix this?

No Time 4 Love Dr. Jones
Forum Regular
Nov 16, 2006, 11:30 AM

Yes. it's covered.

flukewurm
Nov 16, 2006, 12:28 PM

ive had mine about the same amount of time as you and its turning yellow/brown as well. i have heard magic eraser will do the trick but ive tried that and it didnt help a whole lot. a part of me digs the weathered futuristic look. you know like in all the sci fi movies where everything is white and sleek but its dirty at the same time? yeah. im kind of making excuses. but i really mean it too.

No Time 4 Love Dr. Jones
Forum Regular
Nov 16, 2006, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by flukewurm View Post
ive had mine about the same amount of time as you and its turning yellow/brown as well. i have heard magic eraser will do the trick but ive tried that and it didnt help a whole lot. a part of me digs the weathered futuristic look. you know like in all the sci fi movies where everything is white and sleek but its dirty at the same time? yeah. im kind of making excuses. but i really mean it too.
Just in time for a few adventures in the Forbidden Zone...

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Nov 16, 2006, 03:34 PM

Well, it's definitely under warrantee, no questions asked. And from what I can tell, the replacement parts (keyboard, wristpad, and touchpad) do not have the same problem. Just stop by an Apple store and they'll take care of it for you.

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

Voch
Mac Elite
Nov 16, 2006, 04:22 PM

I've tried Magic Eraser on my MacBook and it's helped a little but not enough. When I get some away-from-work time over the holidays I plan to have Apple fix it under AppleCare (but, for now, I'm too busy using the machine to let it go for too long ).

galarneau
Senior User
Nov 16, 2006, 08:20 PM

I just got mine replaced tonight. The Apple Store did it in a couple of hours and I picked it up the same day.

frankthetank966  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 16, 2006, 11:21 PM

So what do they do? Does it erase anything on the hard drive? And if I have invisble shield on mine is it covered?

frankthetank966  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 18, 2006, 12:10 PM

Anybody....

MacDuff
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 18, 2006, 01:19 PM

They'll replace the top and bottom casing as well as the bezel, trackpad and spacebar, I believe but if you have an invisible shield on it, you may want to remove it first for two reasons: 1) Just so they don't try to give you a hassle about having one on and 2) because they are going to remove and toss all the parts that you have your IS on.

masugu
Senior User
Nov 18, 2006, 08:32 PM

Get a BlacBook. No discoloration. I got a Marware strip to stick on. Covers the wrist rest area nicely. After that gets thrashed, I'll take it off.
masugu - "Straight Ahead"
BlacBook Core Duo / Original Intel-based MB - DIY Core i7 PC |

frankthetank966  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 22, 2006, 09:57 AM

I dont like the black one. But it probably is wise to take off the shield. What do you think invisible shield would do? They have a lifetime warranty would they send me new parts? What is the bezel btw? Anyways maybe they will give me the new Macbook since this is my fourth one. Does the new one have this discoloration problem?

Bunit
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 24, 2006, 02:12 AM

Just take it in and they'll fix if for you. Both times I've had my computer in to get fixed they've replaced all stuff. The first time it needed it but the second time they just did it. I didn't say anything about it the first time too, the guy at the Gunius bar just wrote it on the fixing order to fix it.

frankthetank966  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 25, 2006, 11:29 PM

nice... did you have any skins (invisible shield) on it? how long did it take? did they give you a dif. laptop or just fix that part.

frankthetank966  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 23, 2006, 09:09 PM

So I just got my track pad and wrist pad replaced. It took them 45 minutes. I can not guarantee that it will be this quick every time since they say it can take 5-7 business days. It looks great AND the keys on the keyboard feels a lot more firms. Overall Apple receives an A+ for this service. It was convenient, quick, easy and FREE. No hassles what so ever. I am very happy with the Genius Bar. Way to guy GUYS!!!

frankthetank966  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 24, 2006, 12:26 AM

I am serious does anybody that has had their wristpad replaced feel like the keys on the keyboard are firmer.

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Dec 24, 2006, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by frankthetank966 View Post
I am serious does anybody that has had their wristpad replaced feel like the keys on the keyboard are firmer.
Absolutely. The newer wristpads use a slightly different keyboard, which seems to be firmer and more responsive. I <3 it! Just out of curiosity, have you had any problems with your trackpad button? When I got my new one, it was "squishy" and unresponsive. I was just wondering if you have this problem too.

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

frankthetank966  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 24, 2006, 06:08 PM

Nope, i haven't and if i do i will be really pissed. So far I like the new keyboard more than the older one

mrplow
Dec 29, 2006, 03:29 AM

My replacement trackpad is also firmer... I don't like thew new keyboard though, the firmness is nice BUT it's louder now! (clank clank clank) doesn't really matter since its not necessarily an unpleasent sound.. certainly not stealth though

torifile
Mac Elite
Jan 1, 2007, 09:45 AM

Why is this thread "advertised" on the front page? The last post is bumping a thread that had been stagnant for 5 days prior.

frankthetank966  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 4, 2007, 11:50 AM

Has anybody experienced any discoloration with the news wristpad and track pads? All i have are scratch marks. The thing is so fragile
 16 GB 2nd Generation Black iPod Touch w/Contour Showcase
 White Core 2 Duo Macbook with: 2.0 GHz/1 GB Ram/80 GB Hard Drive

meagain
Jan 4, 2007, 05:21 PM

I've been on the verge of getting one but keep seeing dirty versions in the store. For some reason, I thought the wrist pad area, etc. was glossy like the exterior. Instead the ones I've seen have a grey porous feeling plastic that doesn't match the keys. They were the C2D processor so I assume they are the new version. I have a problem with the concept of needing a shield as I feel I shouldn't have to do that? But I guess it's the only way to go.

mrplow
Jan 4, 2007, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by torifile View Post
Why is this thread "advertised" on the front page? The last post is bumping a thread that had been stagnant for 5 days prior.
I lost my right to post because the thread sat idle for 5 days?

meagain
Jan 4, 2007, 06:58 PM

I didn't see what was wrong either. Maybe he owns stock and doesn't want the issue 'advertised'

frankthetank966  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 5, 2007, 12:04 PM

Does anybody know if Apple will replace the keyboard piece again if it has already been replaced and shows discoloration.

frankthetank966  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 6, 2007, 10:07 AM

anybody ^

Forum Links
Forum Rules