Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Tonight Show with Conan O'Brien: 2009 - 2010?

Tonight Show with Conan O'Brien: 2009 - 2010?
Brien
Professional Poster
Jan 7, 2010, 08:17 PM

Word on the street (via TMZ) is that Leno will be taking back the Tonight Show after the winter olympics, and then they'll either be giving Conan a 12PM show (giving him back Late Night and firing Fallon?) or showing him the door.

What a shame, if true.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 7, 2010, 08:21 PM

I can't imagine they wouldn't give Conan a slot (I mean Conan vs. Fallon? No contest IMHO). But this needs to be done. Leno at 10 PM is a stinkbomb in NBC's schedule.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 8, 2010, 11:52 AM

The NY Times also picked it up. Leno moving back to his old slot, and Conan gets an hour at 12:00. Fallon possibly gets the red-eye at 1:00am.

Late-Night Shift Sinking, NBC Wants Leno Back in Old Slot - NYTimes.com

andi*pandi
Jan 8, 2010, 12:51 PM

It was a bad idea to have him 10pm 5 days a week anyhow. Why not have him one day a week?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 8, 2010, 12:52 PM

Or zero.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 8, 2010, 12:54 PM

His bulbous head can't possibly fit in just one day a week.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jan 8, 2010, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
It was a bad idea to have him 10pm 5 days a week anyhow.
The commute from his pineapple under the sea must be killer.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Brien  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 8, 2010, 08:08 PM

Fox might be going after Conan. Might be a better fit, and all the more ironic since Conan got his start as a writer on The Simpsons.

BasketofPuppies
Professional Poster
Jan 10, 2010, 11:11 PM

As long as you ignore the years that he spent writing for Saturday Night Live on NBC (and for Not Necessarily the News on HBO) prior to writing for The Simpsons.
inscrutable impenetrable impregnable inconceivable

EndlessMac
Senior User
Jan 11, 2010, 01:21 AM

I like watching Leno at 10pm because when I have to wake up early for work I can't really watch the show. For me what was ruining the show is their new format. I can't quite put my finger on the exact problem but there is just something or a combination of somethings that was lost from the original show. I might still not watch the show if they keep their same new format and move it back to it's original time. There was nothing really special about the original time slot for me because I really don't watch Conan that much either.

Also for some reason it's taking me awhile to remember that Leno is on at 10pm, so now it would seem that by the time I retrain my brain to the new time they are going to move it again.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jan 11, 2010, 01:56 AM

Leno moved to 10pm?
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 11, 2010, 02:04 AM

I use to watch Leno religiously when his show was at 11:35PM.

After shifting Conan to 11:35PM and Leno to 10PM, I stop watching. Never really like Conan.

Now I watch Letterman and Ferguson.

I think Conan is a better fit for FOX.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

gradient
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2010, 02:22 AM

I was never a Leno fan anyway. Conan is ok, and Fallon is just plain Terrible with a capital T. Letterman has been the king of late night in my books for a long time now and Craig Ferguson grows on me the more I watch him. CBS late-night ftw.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 11, 2010, 02:30 AM

Fallon is awful. I'm surprise his show is still on.

I really like Ferguson. Probably more than Letterman or Leno.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 11, 2010, 02:33 AM

Ferguson is the best. He's the only one I can turn on and know I'll be laughing.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

gradient
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2010, 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
Ferguson is the best. He's the only one I can turn on and know I'll be laughing.
Despite my overall preference for Letterman, I have to agree with this. Ferguson has me in stitches on a regular basis, which I can't say for any other talk show host that I can remember. There's also something to be said for the low-key nature of the show; no band, no hoopla, just Craig Furguson in front of a camera.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 11, 2010, 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
Originally Posted by gradient View Post
Despite my overall preference for Letterman, I have to agree with this. Ferguson has me in stitches on a regular basis, which I can't say for any other talk show host that I can remember. There's also something to be said for the low-key nature of the show; no band, no hoopla, just Craig Furguson in front of a camera.
Although I'm very rarely able to watch any of these guys, Ferguson is far and away my favorite. He's not just funny, but also very likable in a down-home kind of way. Who knows...it might be the accent. It might be the aforementioned low-key nature of his program when compared to the big boys. It might be the fact that he's more challenging than Leno, more personable than Dave, and less awkward than Conan.

That being said, I'm really POed that Conan is getting shafted so badly. He's so much better than Leno ever was. If the traditional Tonight Show crowd wasn't ready for Conan and are having trouble accepting him, let him go elsewhere where he'll be appreciated. Actually, he needs to be somewhere where he's allowed to be unhinged. Maybe cable would be better for him.

Railroader
Banned
Jan 11, 2010, 08:45 AM

I watched exactly two episode of Leno at ten o'clock and knew the show wouldn't last. They tried to change too much. seems they were just changing things because the thought they should.

I am a huge Ferguson fan. My wife and I TiVo the show nightly. One of the things I appreciate greatly is the fact that he doesn't have a band. I can't stand those awkward moments when Leno and Lettermen chat up with the show band. And the gimmicks are lame on both shows as well.

With Ferguson you get awesome witty improve. It seems the more minor or boring the guest, the more hilarious Ferguson gets.

BasketofPuppies
Professional Poster
Jan 11, 2010, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by EndlessMac View Post
For me what was ruining the show is their new format. I can't quite put my finger on the exact problem but there is just something or a combination of somethings that was lost from the original show. I might still not watch the show if they keep their same new format and move it back to it's original time. There was nothing really special about the original time slot for me because I really don't watch Conan that much either.
I think that the problem was that NBC was trying too hard to appeal to a prime time (read: female) audience. It didn't work, and it alienated much of Jay Leno's fanbase in the process.

The set was too light. The announcer and theme song were generic--what happened to the band's brass section? The monologue was focused more on pop culture than politics. The comedy bits ususally involved people with whom Jay Leno had no chemistry. The new, variety show-style segments, like the Green Car Challenge and Earn Your Plug, did not work at all. And having only one real interview per night meant that if the interview was a bust, that was the end of the show.

Oh, and Jay needs a desk.

Jay Leno didn't appear to have much interest in the new show, and I think that the changes were the reason why.

It looked like NBC was slowly undoing the changes and making The Jay Leno Show more like The Tonight Show with Jay Leno, but that was too little, too late.

BlueSky
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2010, 11:30 AM

Ferguson is friggin hilarious, brilliant. He's all but forgotten in the media with the subject of late night hosts, which is no surprise to me. He's simply not mediocre enough to be successful.

As for Conan, worst talk show host ever. Goofy, unfunny attention whore. Good riddance.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 11, 2010, 11:35 AM

I like Ferguson, but he always struck me as trying sometimes.

As for the 10 PM Leno show being "too" different from the 11.30, really? Is the removal of a desk and the juggling of when segments air during the program really al that different?

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 11, 2010, 11:47 AM

I think it's more like the mixture of segments that work in a half hour slot really don't work when you stretch it out to an hour.

My other little pet peeve with his show is the intro, where a bunch of audience members get to go up halfway to the stage and bask in his presence like he's the freakin' Pope.

BasketofPuppies
Professional Poster
Jan 11, 2010, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
As for the 10 PM Leno show being "too" different from the 11.30, really? Is the removal of a desk and the juggling of when segments air during the program really all that different?
Yes.

Jay Leno worked well with people like Fred Willard, Gilbert Gottfried and Tom Green on The Tonight Show. He couldn't relate at all to The Daily Show rejects that appeared in the comedy bits on The Jay Leno Show. It was an attempt to appeal to a younger, more female audience. That didn't work, and it didn't appeal to The Tonight Show's fanbase either.

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 11, 2010, 12:08 PM

Conan simply isn't funny, and half the time he doesn't even look interested in what he's doing. And his interviews can be extremely boring. I don't even know if he's better than Fallon.

NBC should have done everything in its power to land Jimmy Kimmel if it truly wanted to continue the Tonight Show tradition.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jan 11, 2010, 12:47 PM

A question to the Ferguson crowd...

I like him personally. Seems very nice. I thought he was friggin' hilarious on those VH1 nostalgia shows about 10 years back...

I've tried to watch his show a few times in the past (purely based on how much I liked him on VH1), and just can't get through the monologue. Dull. Dull. Dull.

So, the question is, should I try again? Has he hit more of a stride?

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 11, 2010, 01:20 PM

I don't think he's on an upswing at all. If anything, his show seems to be dragging. I liken him to Conan. Some days they have some good material, but most times they seem to be struggling to get through the show.

I seem to be the only one who has mentioned Kimmel. What do some of you think of his show and prospects?

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 11, 2010, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
I don't think he's on an upswing at all. If anything, his show seems to be dragging. I liken him to Conan. Some days they have some good material, but most times they seem to be struggling to get through the show.
So like most people who are on TV daily?

I seem to be the only one who has mentioned Kimmel. What do some of you think of his show and prospects?
I've never really bothered to watch him, to be honest. I've seen some of his interviews on YouTube and they are entertaining, but mostly because of the guests.

andi*pandi
Jan 11, 2010, 01:45 PM

Is Kimmel too raunchy for the job?

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 11, 2010, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
I've tried to watch his show a few times in the past (purely based on how much I liked him on VH1), and just can't get through the monologue. Dull. Dull. Dull.
I find Ferguson's monologue to be very hit-or-miss, which to me is forgivable because when it's funny it's very funny. I believe most, if not all of it, is ad-libbed.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 11, 2010, 01:51 PM

Ferguson FTW, like many said already.

-t

subego
Clinically Insane
Jan 11, 2010, 02:02 PM

I'll give it another shot then. Sorry for the threadjack.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 11, 2010, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey View Post
I find Ferguson's monologue to be very hit-or-miss, which to me is forgivable because when it's funny it's very funny. I believe most, if not all of it, is ad-libbed.
Yeah, Ferguson essentially ad libs the whole monologue, so how good it is depends on how much of a groove he can get into on a particular night. I usually enjoy it, though. He also generally seems to be aware of how well he's doing so he can change course halfway through if it's not working.

His interviews are good, too. He's not afraid to hijack the interview away from the PR and stock quotes the guests have prepared when he finds something more entertaining to jump on. (I remember one — I think it was Amy Smart — where he spent half the time making fun of her taste in movies.)
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 11, 2010, 02:36 PM

I've never really bothered to watch him (Kimmel), to be honest. I've seen some of his interviews on YouTube and they are entertaining, but mostly because of the guests.
Yes, this is part of my greater point. It's not just Kimmel. It's the whole operation.

I've seen numerous guests on Kimmel and other shows like Conan. The Kimmel interviews always seem fun. Then I'll see the same celebrity interviewed w/ Conan, and the flow seems to stutter and contain awkward moments.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 11, 2010, 03:15 PM

Sometimes I'm glad that things don't cross the Atlantic.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 11, 2010, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
Yes, this is part of my greater point. It's not just Kimmel. It's the whole operation.

I've seen numerous guests on Kimmel and other shows like Conan. The Kimmel interviews always seem fun. Then I'll see the same celebrity interviewed w/ Conan, and the flow seems to stutter and contain awkward moments.
I guess my feeling is that sometimes these "awkward moments" are when Conan, or Jon Stewart, or some other host says something funny, whereas Kimmel never seems to say anything in particular during his interviews. It's just a difference in style and expectation, I guess. I'm sometimes watching the show to see the person being interviewed, but more often than not I'm watching it because I like the host, and I couldn't care less who the interviewee is.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 11, 2010, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
Sometimes I'm glad that things don't cross the Atlantic.
O'Rly ?

It did for Germany, the Harald Schmidt Show.

-t

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 11, 2010, 04:29 PM

I guess my feeling is that sometimes these "awkward moments" are when Conan, or Jon Stewart, or some other host says something funny, whereas Kimmel never seems to say anything in particular during his interviews. It's just a difference in style and expectation, I guess. I'm sometimes watching the show to see the person being interviewed, but more often than not I'm watching it because I like the host, and I couldn't care less who the interviewee is.
That's a good take. Generally, I feel like a lot of interviews on Conan feel sort of forced, like neither Conan nor his guest really want to partake.

Then I contrast that w/ Kimmel's show, where it seems like the whole crew and crowd are generally having a good time. And when the celebs come on, they are in a fun mood as well. It reminds me of a Happy Hour. Everyone is loose and enjoying themselves.

Just my general impression. I am not a big late-night watcher. But of the shows I stumble across, Kimmel's show holds my attention longer than the others.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 12, 2010, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
O'Rly ? It did for Germany, the Harald Schmidt Show.
Poor Germans.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 12, 2010, 01:03 PM

Conan's monologue and interviews aren't exactly his strong points. Where Conan repeatedly strikes gold is his bits during the middle of the show. The running gag where he played off his resemblance to Finland's female president never got old to me.

Ferguson is exactly the opposite for me. I love his monologue style, even if its organic style isn't always perfect. I think his interviews are the most entertaining in the business, especially because he usually cuts out the PR crap (as was mentioned earlier). It's the middle of the show that usually drags for me, with the notable exception of his Prince Charles "Rather Late Programme" sketches (Keepin it Royal).

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 12, 2010, 01:12 PM

Ferguson has also frequently featured Dave Foley, another plus.

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Jan 12, 2010, 02:16 PM

Ferguson has also frequently featured Dave Foley, another plus.
I've never seen Ferguson before I viewed the youtube video you linked too. He is 10 times better than Conan. The only thing I enjoyed related to Conan was Tryumph the comic dog.

Before they do anything else first and foremost they need to not just get rid of Zucker, they need to kick his ass so far out into the stratosphere that he'll need the Shuttle to get back to Earth. His head is so far up his ass, he needs special breathing apparatus to function. Zucker is a freak of stupidity.
( Last edited by Buckaroo; Jan 12, 2010 at 04:47 PM. )

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 12, 2010, 04:36 PM

Quote-bomb incoming!

http://gawker.com/5446555/conan-obri...e-tonight-show

People of Earth:

In the last few days, I've been getting a lot of sympathy calls, and I want to start by making it clear that no one should waste a second feeling sorry for me. For 17 years, I've been getting paid to do what I love most and, in a world with real problems, I've been absurdly lucky. That said, I've been suddenly put in a very public predicament and my bosses are demanding an immediate decision.

Six years ago, I signed a contract with NBC to take over The Tonight Show in June of 2009. Like a lot of us, I grew up watching Johnny Carson every night and the chance to one day sit in that chair has meant everything to me. I worked long and hard to get that opportunity, passed up far more lucrative offers, and since 2004 I have spent literally hundreds of hours thinking of ways to extend the franchise long into the future. It was my mistaken belief that, like my predecessor, I would have the benefit of some time and, just as important, some degree of ratings support from the prime-time schedule. Building a lasting audience at 11:30 is impossible without both.

But sadly, we were never given that chance. After only seven months, with my Tonight Show in its infancy, NBC has decided to react to their terrible difficulties in prime-time by making a change in their long-established late night schedule.

Last Thursday, NBC executives told me they intended to move the Tonight Show to 12:05 to accommodate the Jay Leno Show at 11:35. For 60 years the Tonight Show has aired immediately following the late local news. I sincerely believe that delaying the Tonight Show into the next day to accommodate another comedy program will seriously damage what I consider to be the greatest franchise in the history of broadcasting. The Tonight Show at 12:05 simply isn't the Tonight Show. Also, if I accept this move I will be knocking the Late Night show, which I inherited from David Letterman and passed on to Jimmy Fallon, out of its long-held time slot. That would hurt the other NBC franchise that I love, and it would be unfair to Jimmy.

So it has come to this: I cannot express in words how much I enjoy hosting this program and what an enormous personal disappointment it is for me to consider losing it. My staff and I have worked unbelievably hard and we are very proud of our contribution to the legacy of The Tonight Show. But I cannot participate in what I honestly believe is its destruction. Some people will make the argument that with DVRs and the Internet a time slot doesn't matter. But with the Tonight Show, I believe nothing could matter more.

There has been speculation about my going to another network but, to set the record straight, I currently have no other offer and honestly have no idea what happens next. My hope is that NBC and I can resolve this quickly so that my staff, crew, and I can do a show we can be proud of, for a company that values our work.

Have a great day and, for the record, I am truly sorry about my hair; it's always been that way.

Yours,

Conan

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 12, 2010, 05:15 PM

Classy Conan.

I hate so much about NBC, but even I didn't expect them to treat him nearly this bad.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 12, 2010, 05:17 PM

Yeah, as much as he says its about the Tonight Show, what i read is, NBC and Leno dicked me and I'm not going to stand by for whatever scraps they throw from here on out.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 12, 2010, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Yeah, as much as he says its about the Tonight Show, what i read is, NBC and Leno dicked me and I'm not going to stand by for whatever scraps they throw from here on out.
Yeah, really. I don't think anyone watching really cares which one is technically "The Tonight Show" do they?

BasketofPuppies
Professional Poster
Jan 12, 2010, 05:39 PM

Can't you use a better source than Gawker? That letter is all over the Web.

Anyway, the winner in all of this: Fox.

Conan isn't likely to get the ratings that Leno or Letterman get, but it doesn't matter. Fox will soon have someone whom it can use to establish itself as a legitimate contender in late night. And that's gonna hurt the other networks by siphoning off viewers from the already limited pool who watch late night television.

EndlessMac
Senior User
Jan 12, 2010, 06:41 PM

Yeah, really. I don't think anyone watching really cares which one is technically "The Tonight Show" do they?
Yes agreed. The Tonight Show label is more of a status symbol for talk show hosts but I don't think most viewers really care who has the title. A lot of viewers never grew up with the heritage of The Tonight Show so for them it's just another late show with a different name. I actually forgot myself until Jay Leno reminded me on his farewell departure.

I think the other problem is that networks are really quick to cancel things these days. In the past they used to give a show at least a full season to build an audience before they even think about canceling it. I've noticed it's becoming more common for me to find out about a show late and like it but only to find out that it's going to be canceled.

andi*pandi
Jan 12, 2010, 07:35 PM

Otherwise known as, "Fox Syndrome."

Conan should be worried about joining up with Fox.

Brien  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 14, 2010, 05:42 PM

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 14, 2010, 05:46 PM

Conan's ratings have to be up, right? Anyway, I'm enjoying his farewell tour. Shades of Carson when he knew NBC couldn't touch him either.

Forum Links
Forum Rules