Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Difficulty in transferring DVD movies to iPad with Mactheripper

Difficulty in transferring DVD movies to iPad with Mactheripper
Linda101
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 20, 2012, 09:05 PM

I feel excited that I will become a college student 15 days later. There is only one thing making me distressed. I have a great collection of DVDs, but I cannot take all of them to the college. So I want to transfer the most favorite ones to my iPad. I used Mactheripper, but confronted the problem “This VOB indicates that it was mastered with deliberate bad sectors” where it either asked me to PAD VOB or DELETE VOB. I tried to PAD VOB but it makes the disk skip around chapter to chapter on playback. Here, I’m just looking for one app that would successfully help me rip these DVDs on my new MacBook Pro (MD101CH/A).
Any idea or solution?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 20, 2012, 11:14 PM

If you're not actually converting anything, just use Disk Utility to create a disk image file, and play from that instead.

Open Disk Utility, click on the DVD at left, and click on the toolbar button with the little "+" on it to create a new image from that DVD.

Alternatively, you can try converting the material, which will reduce quality, but also save a lot of space. Try Handbrake for that.

www.handbrake.fr

ibook_steve
Aug 21, 2012, 09:50 AM

Last I checked, Disk Utility will not rip a copy protected DVD and allow you to play it. You have to use something like MTR, Ripit, or Handbrake.

What movie is causing the problem?

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 21, 2012, 11:10 AM

Really?

I do this all the time. Aren't all commercial DVDs CSS-protected?

Eug
Clinically Insane
Aug 21, 2012, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Really?
I do this all the time. Aren't all commercial DVDs CSS-protected?
Not all are CSS protected, but big Hollywood blockbusters always are. What movies are you doing this with? I find that some low budget movies, or documentaries, or old movies, or foreign movies from small distribution companies aren't CSS protected.

What you're doing shouldn't work, unless they're not copy-protected. I know, cuz I've tried the same thing with (older versions of) Disk Utility just to see what would happen. That's how I discovered that some of my movies weren't copy-protected.

For it to work properly, you should be using MacTheRipper or similar software. However, if you are doing this with big Hollywood blockbusters, and it works, then I'll have to try this again.

---

Linda, which version of MacTheRipper are you using? If you're using an early version of it, it may not work with some discs. Once you get it ripped, then you can use the iPad preset in Handbrake to convert it to work on your iPad. Mind you, it might just be easier to rip the discs to an external hard drive and then play them directly using a MacBook or something. Much less headache.

Michael Blasco
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 21, 2012, 01:58 PM

I just walked a friend of mine through the process. He needed to both create a backup DVD to play in his car, and wanted to sync a copy on his iPad.
First - he used MTR to rip the movie. If you're having issues with a particular title, I suggest you visit the MTR forums and check the "Issues with specific titles" forum and check if anyone else has posted issues and/or workarounds.
Secondly, he then used HandBrake to compress the video. There is a preset for "iPad" - select that preset and let HandBrake do its magic.

freebreeze
Banned
Aug 23, 2012, 07:44 PM

If you don’t mind spending a few bucks, try [ - paid rip product - ]. It has the function of ripping and backing up DVDs fluently with superb output quality. I used it to rip The Tiger Movie to my iPod. It is really amazing.

reader50
Administrator
Aug 23, 2012, 08:08 PM

Heh heh, we were waiting for the twofer. Linda101 and freebreeze are the same party.

Forum Links
Forum Rules