Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > So. Car shopping. AWD. Spacious. 22K.

So. Car shopping. AWD. Spacious. 22K. (Page 2)
andi*pandi  (op)
Mar 22, 2012, 10:56 AM

Insurance finally estimated totaled worth of 96($2100) so I just put some $ down on this.

2010 6spd outback

Can't wait, but I have to wait til I'm back in town to do all the paperwork etc.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Mar 22, 2012, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
Are you sure? That's really low for a direct-injected turbocharged 2.0L these days. Kia's makes 276 hp.
Ford EcoBoost engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 22, 2012, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
I did drive BMWs and Mercedes professionally at one time
Do tell.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Mar 22, 2012, 07:19 PM

Nice andi, good choice. That should be a great car.

I'm in the same boat. We need an "Emma car", but I won't buy a mini van and my wife doesn't want an SUV. So I'm down to the Mercedes R or Volvo CX90 estate wagon/crossover things. I'd be interested in the new 2013 Audi allroad but not sure when it's going to launch.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

knifecarrier2
Baninated
Mar 22, 2012, 07:20 PM

Allroads are trouble. Audis are already complex, and in those they usually add more whiz bang features which fail at great cost to you later.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Mar 22, 2012, 09:24 PM

My favorite to drive is the Merc R, and it's the most comfortable and car-like. Plus I can get a really good deal on one because they're being phased out. The only reason the CX90 is still on the list is because of the safety rating and Clarkson's enthusiastic recommendation. The allroad is more of a curiosity than anything, lots of auto and tech sites going on about it.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Mar 23, 2012, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
My favorite to drive is the Merc R, and it's the most comfortable and car-like. Plus I can get a really good deal on one because they're being phased out. The only reason the CX90 is still on the list is because of the safety rating and Clarkson's enthusiastic recommendation. The allroad is more of a curiosity than anything, lots of auto and tech sites going on about it.
The XC90 you mean...

The XC90 is a great SUV but an old design now. It's definitely an SUV though and not a crossover. What about the Audi Q5? The 2.0T has plenty of power and decent fuel economy. It drives nearly the same as the A4 too and has the best road feel I've ever experienced in an SUV.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Mar 23, 2012, 11:27 PM

Pretty much set on the Merc R, now just negotiating.
- Thomas Paine

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Mar 24, 2012, 09:04 AM

CTS-V wagon.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 28, 2012, 11:32 AM

Now I'm thinking that I may go a little more upscale. Anyone with entry-level Infiniti or Lexus names? I'm looking at the Infiniti G35/G37 right now and will test drive one if I have time today. I like what I see so far.

Coincidentally, my Contour's battery isn't charging, just months after I got the alternator replaced. I think it's the battery connections perhaps - one of the cables looks a little frayed, and it can't be the battery because that's less than a year old. . . I guess she heard me talking about moving up to something newer.
( Last edited by Big Mac; Mar 28, 2012 at 11:40 AM. )

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Mar 29, 2012, 12:11 AM

The G37 is pretty great, though honestly, I'd look at the G25 first, because, even though the numbers make it appear to be down on power, in daily driving, it really isn't a big difference and it's a good deal cheaper.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Mar 29, 2012, 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
CTS-V wagon.
Ugh, no Caddies. Around here the only people who drive them are geriatric country club types, and I'm not in that category yet.

Besides, I think it's too angular, and those headlights are fugly.
- Thomas Paine

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 29, 2012, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
The G37 is pretty great, though honestly, I'd look at the G25 first, because, even though the numbers make it appear to be down on power, in daily driving, it really isn't a big difference and it's a good deal cheaper.
Thank you for the great input, mitch. I'm glad you mentioned the G25 and I will check it out.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 29, 2012, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
Ugh, no Caddies. Around here the only people who drive them are geriatric country club types, and I'm not in that category yet.

Besides, I think it's too angular, and those headlights are fugly.
The very first time I saw a CTS, LED tail lights and all, it triggered a memory of a Jimmy Page guitar solo from the commercial...then I saw that the driver was a very nicely dressed lady who was at least 85. (Well kept up, but still not the image Cadillac was selling...)

To me, the current CTS looks like Cadillac decided to "look like those cool Acuras" but they didn't quite get it right.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

dav
Mac Elite
Mar 29, 2012, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Anyone with entry-level Infiniti or Lexus names?
i drive a 2008 g35x. if looking used, 2008 is a good point to start, as nissan/infiniti included a more robust ipod integration at that point (i leave a classic in the arm rest 24/7).
the g25 may also get you a little better gas mileage (i average around 19-20 mpg), but be aware some options (like navigation) just aren't available on it.
one post closer to five stars

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 30, 2012, 12:08 PM

It looks like I'm going with a 2009 G37 Journey with 51K miles, unless I change my mind! This is going to be a ginormous upgrade for me - so excited. And thank you for the fine info, dav. I looked at the G25 but it's too new so there's next to no used inventory in my area (or it's all priced higher than I'd want to pay). And I totally fell in love when I got it on the road!
( Last edited by Big Mac; Mar 30, 2012 at 12:22 PM. )

dav
Mac Elite
Mar 30, 2012, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
It looks like I'm going with a 2009 G37 Journey
a lot of car-specific forums are focused on making modifications, which i'm not really into, but the info here is pretty good if you have questions/concerns about the car: g35driver
one post closer to five stars

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 3, 2012, 03:05 PM

So I ended up not buying that 2009 G37 Journey I was interested in that had 51K miles on it. . .

But instead, I decided to really treat myself and splurge a bit (and hey, why not, I'm really earning it this year), so I bought a 2010 G37 Journey with 21K miles!!!!! OMG OMG!!!! OMGBBQ even. It's like I'm in a dream it's so incredible, so exhilarating!!!!! I drove it on the freeway at 2 am in manual shift mode, WOW!!!!

andi*pandi  (op)
Apr 3, 2012, 03:14 PM

Congrats!

I picked up my car yesterday finally. Still getting used to it, the shifting is a little different but the ride is nice.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 3, 2012, 04:15 PM

Thank you, and congratulations to you as well! They look like nice cars. It's cool we both got 2010 model years, albeit different makes.

I love all the tech I have, in addition to the power. The only major feature I don't have is navigation, but I have an iPhone GPS app or stand alone unit for that. And my family's very impressed. My mom said it's the nicest car she's ever been in.

andi*pandi  (op)
Apr 3, 2012, 05:20 PM

I gleefully plugged in my ipod today! I have all these cassettes now I don't know what to do with. Seems wasteful to trash them.

Forum Links
Forum Rules