Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Mac owners with BlueTooth cell phones

Mac owners with BlueTooth cell phones
joe
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2004, 10:16 PM

Any Mac owners care to share their experience / opinions with BlueTooth cell phones? Preferrably something with a built-in camera that also integrates well with OSX. thanx!

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 14, 2004, 11:33 PM

The Sony Ericsson T610 is great. I got it for the Bluetooth and it's compatibility with iSync. It has a camera but that isn't a big deal for me so the fact that the pictures are "so so" isn't an issue. My understanding is that there's a new version of this phone out that might have a better camera, but I"m not sure what the model number is.

OAW

maxintosh
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2004, 11:52 PM

Originally posted by OAW:
The Sony Ericsson T610 is great. I got it for the Bluetooth and it's compatibility with iSync. It has a camera but that isn't a big deal for me so the fact that the pictures are "so so" isn't an issue. My understanding is that there's a new version of this phone out that might have a better camera, but I"m not sure what the model number is.

OAW
The T637 has a plastic (vs. Metal) shell and a better screen

The K700i has a VGA camera w/ flash (much better)

I've been through most phones on the market now, and I'm playing with a Nokia 6600 and really really loving it. Best phone I've owned yet, by far. (And I've had a lot. Including a T610, T637, Z600, t68i, P800, 3650, etc..)

Followup... the 6600's got the best VGA camera on the market, bar none. Even handles night shots surprisingly well (albeit with a bit of noise). iSync works great with it. Salling Clicker for Series 60 is AWESOME. You can view iTunes album art and iPhoto albums right from the phone. Reception is tops. Battery life is about 3 days, on par with the more recent SE phones and decent for a smartphone.

Series 60 is just wonderful in general. There are so many great programs available for it. I can TelNet into my school with PuTTY (free), you can grab RSS news with HeadLine, talk online with Agile Messenger (free)... You can ever get N-Gage 3D games running well on it. The new theming system is great.

I really can't say enough about Series 60 if you really want a fun and powerful phone, and the 6600/6620 (AT&T) and 7610 (megapixel camera) are great little phones.
( Last edited by maxintosh; Sep 15, 2004 at 01:09 AM. )

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2004, 02:07 AM

I also own the Sony Ericsson T610. Best phone I ever had, although calling the pictures "so so" is a bit generous. They downright suck. Luckily, that's not why I bought the phone. Besides, in optimal light conditions, you can get a so so picture. Don't try it indoors though.

As for Bluetooth, I can see how some would find it valuable. It worked flawlessly out of the box, with no tweaking of settings necessary whatsoever. My PowerBook (10.3.5) recognized it quickly and soon all my Address Book entries were in the phone.

I like to store my info differently on my phone than on my Mac, so Bluetooth (or any) pure syncing doesn't work for me. I started a thread about this awhile back and learned people thought it's weird that I keep things formal on my Mac, but prefer simply "Mom & Dad," "Grandma Brown" or "David" on my phone. So yeah... Bluetooth was great for initial setup, but I don't use it otherwise.

My only real annoyance with the T610 is the voice dialing. Even with a steady cadence and well-saved voice profiles, it often takes repeated tries to get the hands-free voice dialing to work. I could take my hands off the steering wheel and scroll to the number quicker, but I prefer to stay in my lane.
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Sep 15, 2004, 02:09 AM

Get a Sony Ericsson.
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Sep 15, 2004, 02:30 AM

Sony Ericsson K700i of course.

Works great with iSync, and as a remote control with the free Salling Remote Basics.

Or else get the S700 if you want the ultimate camera in a phone.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Sep 15, 2004, 02:34 AM

Nokia 6600. Seamless integration. And the phone is a joy. Great reception, long battery life, etc.
Add in cool Series 60 features and you have a winner. For example, I have an app on it that reads cell signals and switches profiles. At work, my phone automatically switches to an Office profile and at a couple of my favorite movie theatres, it automatically switches to a silent mode.
Add in the voice commands with a bluetooth headset. And it plays N-Gage games.

Oh, and I use QT pro to convert home movies and taped tv shows to .3gp and transfer them to the phone via bt. An external mmc card gives me an additional 128mb of memory (with options to go to 256).

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

ApertureFoto
Sep 15, 2004, 08:25 AM

I have a SE T673 and use it with my 12" PB.

It works great with iSync, however I still cannot figure out how to get it to dial into my dialup net service provider via bluetooth.

Other than that it is great.

kris

maxintosh
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2004, 10:23 AM

Originally posted by Randman:
Oh, and I use QT pro to convert home movies and taped tv shows to .3gp and transfer them to the phone via bt. An external mmc card gives me an additional 128mb of memory (with options to go to 256).
I'm still waiting for my bigger memory card, but I've heard success stories of people using up to 1 GB MMC cards. (May take the phone a bit longer to boot up, though.)

gperks
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 15, 2004, 11:00 AM

I have a Nokia 3650 and it works very well with the Mac. I'd be getting a 6600 today if I were shopping.

According the Apple's iSync, only the Nokia series 60 phones (like the 6600) and I think Palm will sync contact photos. So if photos of people are important to you, stick with Nokia as apparently the Sony-Ericsson phones don't sync photos. The photos are nice: they show up in Mail, iChat, and Address Book of course. Naturally the phone shows the photo when that person calls you too.

Professional Poster
Sep 15, 2004, 11:17 AM

Originally posted by Eug Wanker:
Sony Ericsson K700i of course.
Something to keep in mind though. the k700 is a nice phone but it will cost you much much more then a t6xx. Most providers sell the t6xx for $100 or less, most will even give it to you for free with a contract.

The k700 does have a better camer, a better screen and radio but the battery life is shorter then the t6xx. I can also cost you about $400 US and doesn't work great with At & T as it does the 900 band and not 850.

If you don't need those things stick to the t6xx.

osxisfun
Sep 15, 2004, 11:30 AM

wait for the treo 650

Grrr
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 15, 2004, 01:49 PM

Another vote for the 6600. Had mine since January, and its been great
The worst thing about having a failing memory is..... no, it's gone.

mbryda
Senior User
Sep 15, 2004, 02:16 PM

Not a fan of Nokias - so so on all fronts with past phones.

Wanted a V600, but won't sync via BT.

Got a T637 and love it. Syncs great, reception is awesome and lots of bells and whistles. I like to keep things informal on my phone too, so I set up a group in Address book called Phone and have iSync sync to that. This way my Phone contacts go there and I keep them informal. Works well.

Mithras
Professional Poster
Sep 15, 2004, 03:17 PM

As with most such questions, there is no single best answer.
It comes down to your priorities on factors like

* size
* price
* capabilities (smartphone? Java apps? pen input? keyboard? hi-quality photos?)
* wow factor
* style

If you care most about size, I'd go for the T610.
If you want the least expensive, again that'd probably be the T610.
If you want the most expensive (most envy-inducing), probably waiting a little for the Palm Treo 650 as osxisfun said.
If you want serious smartphone capabilites, you're looking at the Nokia 6600, or the SE P900, or the Treo 650.
If you want to do mobile email, the Treo wins hands down.
If you want a phone crammed with nifty stuff, probably the SE K700 is the winner.

and of course style is a personal choice.

(P.S. I use a Nokia 3650 and love it for the great email client and ability to run neat Java apps. If I had cash to burn I'd go for a Treo 650.)

zolagol
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 11, 2004, 12:42 AM

Moto Razr V3

i just got mine last week and have succesfully transferred ringtones, including mp3s, pictures and mpeg4 video all via BT...works great....

the usb connection syncs Addressbook and iCal very well....
Mac. When you want something that works. Period.

Professional Poster
Dec 11, 2004, 02:02 AM

Originally posted by osxisfun:
wait for the treo 650
Don't get the Treo 650

http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/smart...wed-027427.php

ajprice
Professional Poster
Dec 11, 2004, 10:46 AM

zolagol, what shows up in iSync when you hook up the Razr? Is far as I can remember iSync was last updated before the Razr was launched...

{off topic a bit] Does anyone know where to get icons and how to replace them in iSync for OS X 10.3, I used to do this with my T610 and 10.2 iSync to change the icon from a red T610 to a silver one like I had. I just want to change my N-Gage icon to an N-Gage QD, (The same goes for a 4g ipod icon instead of iSync's 3G icon.) [/off topic a bit]

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

zolagol
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 11, 2004, 11:20 AM

an image of a cell phone shows with the caption "V3"....

new newton
Banned
Dec 11, 2004, 11:26 AM

I've been very happy with my Nokia 6600.

SafariX
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2004, 03:33 PM

The SE T637 has been perfect. Great reception, bluetooth, great battery life and a super bright screen.

spiky_dog
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2004, 03:44 PM

Originally posted by SafariX:
The SE T637 has been perfect. Great reception, bluetooth, great battery life and a super bright screen.
i've owned a nokia 3650 and currently have a SE T637. the T637 is not all roses:

T637 high points:
- small size
- good looking
- free themes available
- reception is fine with Cingular in metro Seattle, WA

T637 low points:
- the phone is locked down: i can't put my own ringtones, programs, or games on, can't modify the menu or the stupid joystick shortcuts from the main menu
- the interface is awkward. there's no quick way to exit from the browser, for instance, and having a dedicated "back" button that's not at the top edge of the buttons is also annoying
- the camera is useless
- the built in WAP browser is also useless
- unlocking the phone (both in the sense of carriers and in letting the user change programs) requires a PC and a dedicated cable

Nokia 3650 high points:
- Series 60 rocks. Opera for Series 60 worked great
- my T-Mobile 3650 let me transfer files freely via bluetooth, including wav and midi ringtones, apps/games
- unlocking the phone from T-Mobile was a matter of going to a website, generating a code, and typing it in
- reception was good
- battery life was good
- camera took very decent images, sort of painterly
- syncing of calendars, etc. via isync worked fine. additionally, address card pictures (that you see in iChat and in address book) synced to the phone, so when you'd call or receive a call from a contact their picture would show up next to their name. very slick.

3650 low points:
- HUGE in comparison to modern phones
- very lightweight feeling, not confidence inspiring
- circular keyboard not for some. my thumb got used to it
- Opera is not supported any more, and isn't perfect

overall i'd pick the T637 again at this point in my life, since i'm using the phone exclusively as a phone and its size is important. however, in terms of usability and interface the nokia series 60 product wins hands down without a question. once i unlock my T637 perhaps i'll have a better impression of it.

zolagol
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 11, 2004, 04:26 PM

i see what gizmodo has to say about the treo (650) but there aren't many choices out there if you want wireless connectivity, ability to send emails with attachments including pics and video, MMS, and a Qwerty keyboard for easier text entry....

any other suggestions?

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 11, 2004, 07:51 PM

Didn't see anyone chime in with a Siemens phone, so I can say the S55/S56 work swimmingly with iSync, and are nice tiny phones. They're probably pretty cheap by now too.

SafariX
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2004, 09:10 PM

Originally posted by spiky_dog:
i've owned a nokia 3650 and currently have a SE T637. the T637 is not all roses:

T637 high points:
- small size
- good looking
- free themes available
- reception is fine with Cingular in metro Seattle, WA

T637 low points:
- the phone is locked down: i can't put my own ringtones, programs, or games on, can't modify the menu or the stupid joystick shortcuts from the main menu
- the interface is awkward. there's no quick way to exit from the browser, for instance, and having a dedicated "back" button that's not at the top edge of the buttons is also annoying
- the camera is useless
- the built in WAP browser is also useless
- unlocking the phone (both in the sense of carriers and in letting the user change programs) requires a PC and a dedicated cable

Nokia 3650 high points:
- Series 60 rocks. Opera for Series 60 worked great
- my T-Mobile 3650 let me transfer files freely via bluetooth, including wav and midi ringtones, apps/games
- unlocking the phone from T-Mobile was a matter of going to a website, generating a code, and typing it in
- reception was good
- battery life was good
- camera took very decent images, sort of painterly
- syncing of calendars, etc. via isync worked fine. additionally, address card pictures (that you see in iChat and in address book) synced to the phone, so when you'd call or receive a call from a contact their picture would show up next to their name. very slick.

3650 low points:
- HUGE in comparison to modern phones
- very lightweight feeling, not confidence inspiring
- circular keyboard not for some. my thumb got used to it
- Opera is not supported any more, and isn't perfect

overall i'd pick the T637 again at this point in my life, since i'm using the phone exclusively as a phone and its size is important. however, in terms of usability and interface the nokia series 60 product wins hands down without a question. once i unlock my T637 perhaps i'll have a better impression of it.
You are correct, but luckily I don't have those requirements. As long as bluetooth+battery+reception are good, I'm a happy camper.

f1000
Professional Poster
Dec 11, 2004, 09:56 PM

Originally posted by joe:
Any Mac owners care to share their experience / opinions with BlueTooth cell phones? Preferrably something with a built-in camera that also integrates well with OSX. thanx!
A BT cell phone goes great with a PowerBook. I'm waiting for the Sony Ericsson s710a to come out.

http://reviews.cnet.com/Sony_Ericsso...S710a&part=rss

LiquidSnake
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 11, 2004, 11:27 PM

I Have a SE P900 (Wich is very compatible with OSX) and a new Nokia Communicator 9500.
I allways prefer my 9500 over my P900 any day but integration of the OSX&Nokia 9500 is far from perfect.But it'll be much better in the close future.N9500 is a very very new phone.Cool factor: I can share my DSL connection via airport with my Mac's&N9500
If you are looking a good phone/pda combo wit the worst camera&good OSX integration choose: P900 or new model P910i(Much better than 900)
Or the best phone/pda combo (Its camera qulity is a lot better than the 900/910 but i dont care about the camera) : N9500
Click here to visit my photo's
PowerMac G5Dual 2.0-2 GbRam& 160&400 HDD
MacBook Pro 17 inch Glossy 2 gig Ram
PowerBook 12 inch 1 ghz 768 MbRam
Sony VGA-A270 17 inch wuxga 1gbRam Radeon9700

Andy8
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2004, 11:37 PM

Since updating to version 1.5.1 of bluetooth file exchange, I have lost my ability to transfer files from my Sharp GZ100, which was file transfering fine before the update

mbryda
Senior User
Dec 11, 2004, 11:51 PM

T637 low points:
You got screwed. I picked up my Cingular T637 from a Cingular corporate store. Synched with my computer and I get 3 directories in the BT File transfer - Pictures, Audio, and Applications. Pop pics in Pictures, Ringtones in Audio, and Apps in Applications. Works great.

Hold down the arrow key - after about 1 sec it takes you back to the main menu. Press it once and it takes you back.

- the camera is useless
Agreed. But I didn't care about the camera.

Again, mine is unlocked and can even take another carrier's SIM - tried my old ATTWS Sim in it and it worked fine.
Transferring apps, tones, etc works flawlessly over BT as well.

I had a T637 on ATTWS and when we migrated to Cingular, I could choose any phone. I got another T637 as it works great and I can do all the things you mentioned - transfer tones, apps, etc. without issue.

Maybe you should have your phone looked at?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 12, 2004, 02:09 AM

Originally posted by subego:
Didn't see anyone chime in with a Siemens phone, so I can say the S55/S56 work swimmingly with iSync, and are nice tiny phones. They're probably pretty cheap by now too.
Yep.

However, the S65/66 is simply ****ing AWESOME.

Great phone, and not as cheap-feeling and bling-bling as the K700i.

Plus, a 1.24-megapixel camera (1280x960) that's pretty damn decent in good light (flash optional).

It's not quite supported by iSync yet (special characters like ���� etc. are out, and street addresses are not synced - everything else, including calendars, works), but since S55 integration was excellent once it arrived, I have no worries.

It does not support remote-controlling OS X via Bluetooth yet, though (it's not a high priority for me, though I'm kicking Salling Software a little bit to get them to implement it. Apparently, it's not that easy).

-s*

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 12, 2004, 02:10 AM

Originally posted by f1000:
A BT cell phone goes great with a PowerBook. I'm waiting for the Sony Ericsson s710a to come out.

http://reviews.cnet.com/Sony_Ericsso...S710a&part=rss
Hellishly expensive, very probably an unusable keyboard, but hey, if you drop it, at least you have two.

Good camera tho.

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 12, 2004, 12:53 PM

I have been using the S/E T637(AT&T) for a month or two. It works flawlessly. I used to have the Nokia 8290, which I bought back in 2000.

Anyway, I got the phone just in time for my class presentation, which I used my iBook (with the D-Link DBT-120 USB Bluetooth Adapter), Salling Clicker, Keynote, and the T637 to complete the work. It worked fine and the teacher have postive feedback on that as well.

This is my first color/camera phone, I like the screen but I the camera is just way under par. Hey, I do bring my standalone digital camera with my all the time, so I don't have any beef on that.

Lastly, I am extremely happy with the bluetooth intergration on the Mac.

blikum
Dec 13, 2004, 07:19 PM

I've been using the Nokia 6230 for a couple months now and love it. The only drawback for me albeit minor is no isync support. I've got the 1 Gig MMC card and use the phone as a multimedia player and to transfer data back and forth from home to work. I highly reccommend it!

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 14, 2004, 12:33 AM

Originally posted by mbryda:
[B]You got screwed. I picked up my Cingular T637 from a Cingular corporate store. Synched with my computer and I get 3 directories in the BT File transfer - Pictures, Audio, and Applications. Pop pics in Pictures, Ringtones in Audio, and Apps in Applications. Works great.

[b]

Hold down the arrow key - after about 1 sec it takes you back to the main menu. Press it once and it takes you back.

[b]
Agreed. But I didn't care about the camera.

[b]
Again, mine is unlocked and can even take another carrier's SIM - tried my old ATTWS Sim in it and it worked fine.
Transferring apps, tones, etc works flawlessly over BT as well.

I had a T637 on ATTWS and when we migrated to Cingular, I could choose any phone. I got another T637 as it works great and I can do all the things you mentioned - transfer tones, apps, etc. without issue.

Maybe you should have your phone looked at?
I've got a new Cingular T637 also, and I have no problem uploading and downloading items (ringtones, pictures, wallpaper, etc) via Bluetooth.

Syncs great via BT with iCal/Address Book and does great with Salling Clicker.

And in response to one complaint above, to quickly exit the WAP browser on the phone, just hold the back arrow for a second or two.

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 14, 2004, 01:22 AM

Originally posted by gperks:
According the Apple's iSync, only the Nokia series 60 phones (like the 6600) and I think Palm will sync contact photos. So if photos of people are important to you, stick with Nokia as apparently the Sony-Ericsson phones don't sync photos. The photos are nice: they show up in Mail, iChat, and Address Book of course. Naturally the phone shows the photo when that person calls you too.
I have a 6600 and I love seeing people's faces show up on the screen when they call. Great phone.

JHromadka
Mac Elite
Dec 14, 2004, 10:45 AM

Originally posted by joe:
I have a Sony Ericsson K700 which syncs well and takes decent pictures for being a cell phone. I also love its small size.

If you need more power, the PalmOne Treo 650 is also a good choice. Like Gizmodo says, it ain't perfect, but overall I am liking the changes over the 600.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 14, 2004, 12:50 PM

I've got the T637 also.

The camera is beyond useless. Awful. Horrid. Hideous. I wish they'd have taken the time/expense used for putting that... thing... in there to have made the rest of the phone's features better, instead of trying to make a device that does too much, all somewhat half-assedly.

The bluetooth works fine, though. i've been very happy with that aspect of it. I love being able to look up someone's ph. # in Address Book, then click on "dial with CV's T637" to place a call. It works pretty well with iSync too, though I have had it duplicate quite a few entries. I sure don't miss entering names and numbers on the phone keypad.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Dec 14, 2004, 12:58 PM

I'll put in another vote for the SE K700i. I've had mine for about 2 months and absolutely love it. It has GREAT reception - much better than my old T610. Beautiful screen and works perfectly with iSync. Add a Krussel leather case custom made for the K700i (fits like a glove) with belt clip - keeps phone clean and protected, plus it looks great.

I am done buying cheap phones from providers. I got mine from Mobilebee.com for about $450. Expensive? Yes. But worth it if you want to personalize your phone and not have a bunch of T-Mobile crap all over it. Plus, when you want to sell it and upgrade, they go much higher if they are unlocked.

I also considered the Nokia 6600. It's a great phone (as you can see from the posts here) but I was more attracted to the form factor of the SE.

f1000
Professional Poster
Dec 14, 2004, 06:46 PM

Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:
Good camera tho.
I'll remember to keep the broken half with the camera then.

mike one
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 17, 2004, 02:31 PM

i have a nokia 3650

it has a full address book
it can use salling clicker
it has a decent camera

and i got it on ebay cheap.

bluetooth works wonderfully.

i couldn't be happier.

LeeG
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 17, 2004, 04:49 PM

Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:
Yep.

However, the S65/66 is simply ****ing AWESOME.

Great phone, and not as cheap-feeling and bling-bling as the K700i.

Plus, a 1.24-megapixel camera (1280x960) that's pretty damn decent in good light (flash optional).

It's not quite supported by iSync yet (special characters like ���� etc. are out, and street addresses are not synced - everything else, including calendars, works), but since S55 integration was excellent once it arrived, I have no worries.

It does not support remote-controlling OS X via Bluetooth yet, though (it's not a high priority for me, though I'm kicking Salling Software a little bit to get them to implement it. Apparently, it's not that easy).

-s*

I have been using an S56 with my powerbook for over a year - and yes, it rocks. Beautiful iSync integration, etc, I find the bluetooth drains the battery a bit if you leave it on.

I have been anxiously eyeing the S66 - my contract is up in July 05, and my provider (Cingular) offers the 66 - but its $$$ right now.

Anymore info on the S65/66 would be appreciated.

Though by that time the rumored moto-iPhone may be out, and I am sucker for anythign with an apple on it-

Lee
iPhone 3G 16Gb
24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo iMac, 4GB/320GB/256MB
12" AlBook 1Ghz/768Mb/80Gb/Combo/AX

clarkgoble
Mac Elite
Dec 19, 2004, 01:00 AM

I notice Cingular is having a lot of deals now that they bought AT&T. I used to have a rather nice AT&T Nokia phone with Bluetooth, but I find that few phones now come with it.

Anyone know of good phones that are cheap (to get it past the wife) that support bluetooth on Cingular?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 19, 2004, 07:49 AM

Originally posted by LeeG:
I have been using an S56 with my powerbook for over a year - and yes, it rocks. Beautiful iSync integration, etc, I find the bluetooth drains the battery a bit if you leave it on.

I have been anxiously eyeing the S66 - my contract is up in July 05, and my provider (Cingular) offers the 66 - but its $$$ right now.

Anymore info on the S65/66 would be appreciated.

Though by that time the rumored moto-iPhone may be out, and I am sucker for anythign with an apple on it-
Yeah, but I'm extremely wary of anything cellular with a motorola logo on it.

I'm trying to get the Salling guys to write an adaptation to Salling Clicker for the S65/66 (Bluetooth integration/remote control was the ONLY factor that made me consider the K700i, which I really just don't like for a number of reasons). Apparently it's a little tougher to write a Siemens plug-in, but I'll keep pestering them. (support - [at] - salling.com)

The S65's software problems have been worked out - the phone has been rock-solid for me (FW 25) - and the 1.23-megapixel camera, though very noisy in low light, is really quite alright for a device that's primarily a kick-ass organizer and telephone: http://homepage.mac.com/spheric/Alex+iMac.jpg

The only drawbacks so far:
1. iSync currently messes up special characters (����) and doesn't sync street addresses, so syncing is one-way only for now (I reset the phone every time I sync with the 'puter). This was no problem with the S55, so I'm sure it will be fixed once the S65 is officially supported by an iSync update (Macworld January?).

2. Bluetooth transfer speed is only around 6KB/sec. This may be phone-firmware-related, but for data transfer (the images can be up to several hundred KB), faster would be nice (the SE K700i and the Nokia 6230 are up around 15KB/sec).

3. No support for Bluetooth HID (i.e. remote-control). But again, I'm pestering Jonas Salling for a solution. *crosses fingers*

Search the forums for several raves I've made on the S65. It is a really really cool phone.
Battery life is roughly equivalent to or better than the k700i, btw. (Also, the k700i address book seems plagued with some rather annoying and potentially dangerous bugs, such as shuffling around/duplicating phone numbers.)

Also, I really dig the '70s retro-futuristic Star Wars design. Looks like something Vader would have lying around somewhere.

Cheers,

-s*

p.s.: I got it for free with my contract renewal, so figure that prices *will* come down in the US in a couple of months.

mbryda
Senior User
Dec 19, 2004, 12:59 PM

Originally posted by clarkgoble:
Anyone know of good phones that are cheap (to get it past the wife) that support bluetooth on Cingular?
T637 - $20 after rebate from Cingular. You pay $99 and get a $70 rebate. Great phone and the BT/Mac support is first rate!

beachgerl
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 20, 2004, 02:39 PM

I thought I'd jump right in. I'm also looking for a simple cell phone with Bluetooth that I can use as a wireless modem whenever there's no internet access. I have a 15" PB. I don't need fancy features or ringtones. Lightweight, good plan, unlimited data, and isync are what I'm looking for. Would Nokia 6600 be a good choice? I noticed it uses Tmobile. If I use it as a modem, do I need to have ISP ready and does it use minutes or per data packs? I try to avoid using minutes because I know it'll rack up huge bill which I'm trying to avoid. I am already a Tmobile member with Sidekick. High speed isn't a priority but it has to be higher than 33.6kps as much as possible. Any suggestions?

crazeazn
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 22, 2004, 01:21 AM

using a k700i here, however i have issues with isync and waiting for a new release,company names dont show up and addresses unless noteed as work doesnt show either...

i had a 6230 but i got rid of it bc no isync support if anyone wants to buy a registered copy of phone director please PM me..
12" AI book REV B, mac mini core duo 1.66

spiky_dog
Mac Elite
Jan 4, 2005, 03:00 AM

Originally posted by mbryda:
You got screwed. I picked up my Cingular T637 from a Cingular corporate store. Synched with my computer and I get 3 directories in the BT File transfer - Pictures, Audio, and Applications. Pop pics in Pictures, Ringtones in Audio, and Apps in Applications. Works great.

[reviving an old thread since this reply was to my post]

thanks for the tip on holding down the arrow key. that really does decrease my frustration with the phone immensely.

about the ringtones: i finally got them to transfer. my earlier problem was because the phone doesn't play or indeed accept .wav ringtones a la my old 3650. midi files play fine at the expense of sounding, well, like midi files.

my phone doesn't have an applications folder when browsed, but uploading .mpn files via Nokia Collector did the trick. i still don't have any control over the layout of the menu, let alone of the shortcuts on the "joystick", however, so in this respect the phone still needs some help.

MORT A POTTY
Senior User
Jan 4, 2005, 04:39 AM

I want a Treo 650 so bad... oh my god. I hope to score enough cash on my birthday in about six months to be able to afford it... that is if I can't save up the money from my work study that I have now... which I won't be able to I'm almost certain.

besides, in April, I get a discount on a phone upgrade with Sprint. the Treo 650 would be a fantastic replacement for my Sanyo 8100...

Treo 650 is ****ing awesome.

mbryda
Senior User
Jan 4, 2005, 12:58 PM

[reviving an old thread since this reply was to my post]

thanks for the tip on holding down the arrow key. that really does decrease my frustration with the phone immensely.
No problem. Also to quickly switch between normal and silent, hold the C key for a sec. It will toggle normal/vibrate.

my phone doesn't have an applications folder when browsed, but

Mine doesn't either. I got a new one (migrated from ATTWS to Cingular), but I think you just drop the apps to the root...

have any control over the layout of the menu, let alone of the shortcuts on the "joystick", however, so in this respect the phone still needs some help.
I think you could, but I forget how to organize the shortcuts menu. IIRC, it was a pretty powerful menu.

Timothy Maxwell
Forum Regular
Jan 10, 2005, 01:15 AM

I purchased the Sony Ericsson T610 about a year ago and have found it to be the best cell phone I have ever owned. It's Bluetooth implementation is excellent. It works well with my car. As soon as I turn the car on the phone connects and allows the car to answer and make calls through it.

I would like to purchase the Treo 650 when it becomes available over the T-Mobile Network. I hope that it will also connect with my car's bluetooth feature.
Timothy Maxwell
Bankers Mortgage Corporation
FHA Direct Lenders • No Down Payment • Bad Credit OK

Visit us on the Web at http://www.Bankersmc.com

Forum Links
Forum Rules