Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Airport Express to Third Party compatibility

Airport Express to Third Party compatibility
SunSeeker
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 8, 2005, 11:18 PM

I have searched the forums and internet for the answer to this question, perhaps it is not possible. Initially I am just trying to find out if the following is possible using these components;

Netcomm NB1300plus4w ADSL Modem/wireless base station/4 port router (80211b)

iBook 500 without an airport card

Airport express

I want to connect the Airport Express to the Netcomm wirelessly and then connect the ibook to the Airport Express via an ethernet cable.
Will the airport express act in the same way as a hardwired ethernet socket.

btw I am using a crossover cable between the ibook and the airport express.

I think the key may lie somewhere in WDS, Root Mode etc?

If what I am trying to do is possible, perhaps somebody could point me in the right direction.

TIA

SWFan
Forum Regular
Feb 9, 2005, 01:05 AM

The Airport Express will ONLY bridge a wireless connection with an Apple Airport Extreme Base Station or another Airport Express. Some people have had luck with some early Linksys 802.11g routers working, but Linksys has since switch from the Broadcom chipset, so newer models no longer work.

In your configuration, the Airport Express can only stream Airtunes.

For more information on what your AX can and can't do I highly urge you to read the official Apple Airport Express FAQ. It answers your original question, and probably any other you can come up with.

SunSeeker  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 9, 2005, 03:35 AM

Thanks. I had read the Ae faq but the only question that seemed relevant made it sound possible. That coupled with a few forums making it sound as if this was possible made me wonder.

FRom The Airport Express faq

When it is set up as a WDS remote station, it (the ethernet port) can act as a LAN port. Assuming that your Internet service provider only gives you one IP address (the most common scenario for homes), this means that AirPort Express can only accommodate wired clients when acting as a WDS remote base station or bridge.
I simply assumed that my ibook would be a wired client and that a LAN port was similar to the wall socket into which I currently plug my iBook?

I have spoken to an apple support guy on the phone and even he thought it was possible, although he diagnosed a dodgy ethernet port and I haven't spoken to anyone since.
That conflicts with an AppleCentre sales person who told me the ethernet port on the Ae was a WAN port 'one-way', and could only be used to connect directly to an adsl modem

I think it sounds like my best option is an Airport Extreme Base Station (too expensive) or an independent wireless router, maybe even a longer cable through the roof and the wall.
( Last edited by SunSeeker; Feb 9, 2005 at 04:03 AM. )

SunSeeker  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 9, 2005, 03:50 AM

Would an Original Airport Basestation (Graphite) do what I want?

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Feb 9, 2005, 10:19 AM

All AirPort questions go in the Networking forum.

tooki

Forum Links
Forum Rules