Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Disk Warrior for Intel/Mac?

Disk Warrior for Intel/Mac?
David Lee
Forum Regular
May 4, 2006, 09:21 PM

Doeas anyone have any info on when or if Disk Warrior will be available for the new machines running on Intel chips? I can not imagine using a Mac without it, but I do want to buy a new MacMini.
The new HD format used may hold back development, but any news would be appreciated.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
May 4, 2006, 09:44 PM

Here's the release date for DiskWarrior: It will be released when it is done.

Just sit back and relax. Alsoft always takes a while to come out with versions of DiskWarrior for new systems, but the end result is always worth it. The fact that they take extra time to make sure it works properly is the reason why DiskWarrior is such a good product.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

David Lee  (op)
Forum Regular
May 5, 2006, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by CharlesS
Here's the release date for DiskWarrior: It will be released when it is done.

Just sit back and relax. Alsoft always takes a while to come out with versions of DiskWarrior for new systems, but the end result is always worth it. The fact that they take extra time to make sure it works properly is the reason why DiskWarrior is such a good product.
I don't want to start a "bickering" thread, but if you will read my original post, I was simply asking if anyone had any information (real info, not opinion) on when DW will be released. I completely agree with the observation that "they take extra time to make sure it works properly is the reason why DiskWarrior is such a good product." The question is, again, any news on when that will be? I am wondering about this for two reasons. First, the red ink I always get when running Disk Warrior after a system install, and that has happened on "several" Macs. In other words, Apple's Disk Utility, while a good basic utility, is just not enough to assure a clean system. I (we) need our Disk Warrior fix. Because I do not know the extent of the differences in the hard disk formats (old vs new), I have no way to estimate the development time, compared with prior updates. So I was asking if someone was privy to that info, And I certainly do not need anyone with a "sit back and relax" attitude telling me how to think or feel about anything. That is not the purpose of these forums, although asking for opinions is possible. The point here is I found that remark "Just sit back and relax." offensive.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
May 5, 2006, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by David Lee
I don't want to start a "bickering" thread, but if you will read my original post, I was simply asking if anyone had any information (real info, not opinion) on when DW will be released. I completely agree with the observation that "they take extra time to make sure it works properly is the reason why DiskWarrior is such a good product." The question is, again, any news on when that will be?
And the answer is: No one knows! Probably not even the people at Alsoft know at this point. For a product like DiskWarrior, you don't want to set a hard release date prematurely - that could lead to it getting released before it's ready. Which in the case of a tool like DiskWarrior is a very, very, very bad thing.

A lot of people don't seem to realize this, but for software, if an official release date hasn't been set, then the developers themselves may not have decided on one yet. At any rate, you're going to just have to wait it out, and if that is not acceptable for you then you will need to delay the purchase of your Intel-based Mac until Alsoft has a new version ready.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

fuser
Baninated
May 13, 2006, 03:58 AM

And the answer is: No one knows! Probably not even the people at Alsoft know at this point. For a product like DiskWarrior, you don't want to set a hard release date prematurely - that could lead to it getting released before it's ready. Which in the case of a tool like DiskWarrior is a very, very, very bad thing.

A lot of people don't seem to realize this, but for software, if an official release date hasn't been set, then the developers themselves may not have decided on one yet. At any rate, you're going to just have to wait it out, and if that is not acceptable for you then you will need to delay the purchase of your Intel-based Mac until Alsoft has a new version ready.

I too found your first and second reply to be offensive. You obviously have no idea of what Alsoft's intentions are or you wouldn't have stated "Probably not even the people at Alsoft know at this point." All that is being asked is does Alsoft have any intention of making a version of DiskWarrior available for the Intel based Macs? If you don't know, first hand, then please keep your assumptions and attitude to yourself. Let someone with the know-of answer the question. geesh.

siflippant
Dedicated MacNNer
May 13, 2006, 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by douglb1
Let someone with the know-of answer the question. geesh.
You mean like contacting AlSoft direct?

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
May 13, 2006, 04:17 AM

I too found your first and second reply to be offensive. You obviously have no idea of what Alsoft's intentions are or you wouldn't have stated "Probably not even the people at Alsoft know at this point." All that is being asked is does Alsoft have any intention of making a version of DiskWarrior available for the Intel based Macs? If you don't know, first hand, then please keep your assumptions and attitude to yourself. Let someone with the know-of answer the question. geesh.
And the point of my post (which was written about a week ago) was, no one on this board is going to know the answer to the question! Alsoft hasn't set a release date yet, which means that at this point there isn't one to tell you!

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
May 13, 2006, 10:37 AM

I too found your first and second reply to be offensive.
Well, you need to loosen up.
Let someone with the know-of answer the question. geesh.
The point is that nobody knows. That might not be the answer you were looking for, but that's not Charles' fault.

cms
Senior User
May 13, 2006, 11:04 AM

I received the following reply to an email sent directly to Alsoft on May 1st:

The current version of DiskWarrior (3.0.3) will not run on Intel-based
Macs. A future revision of DiskWarrior will address this capability.

While we do not have a specific timeframe, the updated version of
DiskWarrior is being tested and will be available soon.

All information will be posted to the Alsoft website (http://
www.alsoft.com) as it becomes available.

So, yes, it's coming. But no, nobody knows when. Not even the techies at Alsoft. And that's official!

tooki
Admin Emeritus
May 13, 2006, 11:40 AM

tooki

Forum Links
Forum Rules