Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Battery Replacement Recs ... mine is dying

Battery Replacement Recs ... mine is dying
Dex13
Mac Elite
Feb 11, 2005, 07:46 PM

So my 1 yo ipod won't even hold out for 1/2 hour. Pisses me off but wtvr. I think it's the bitrate i play everything at, but even before I was able to get 3 hours out of it. Gah.

I just wanted to know if it was worth it to do you own service on your ipod by buying the battery all in one packs that are available at various online sites for the ipod.

What are your experiences?

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 14, 2005, 05:15 PM

Originally posted by Dex13:
So my 1 yo ipod won't even hold out for 1/2 hour. Pisses me off but wtvr. I think it's the bitrate i play everything at, but even before I was able to get 3 hours out of it. Gah.

I just wanted to know if it was worth it to do you own service on your ipod by buying the battery all in one packs that are available at various online sites for the ipod.

What are your experiences?
What generation of iPOd do you have? If it's a 1 or 2 G iPod I would just get the "kit" and do it yourself if you are somewhat mechanically inclined. The Battery with the tool is about 50 dollars. My friend just got one from J&R online it was a higher capacity one than the original. If it's a 3G I remember seeing a place online that sold the battery and tool for it but I don't remember where. You could google it. If not you could pay Apple the 99 dollars to do it for you. That way the battery will be covered under warranty.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

rozwado1
Mac Elite
Feb 14, 2005, 08:45 PM

I have a 3G and went to macsales.com to get a battery for like $30. It comes with the tool, and it's easy as hell to do the job - 5 minutes if you're retarded. Now I get 8 hours of life and I can't believe how smart I was to do that instead of paying Apple to reinstall a stock battery. Mine's bigger.

The trick to cracking open the iPod is to squeeze the iPod from front-to-back and slide/push your thumb on the chrome back to open a little gap on one of the sides. the tool just slides right in and it pops open.

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 16, 2005, 01:50 PM

I would definitely get a replacement battery, unless you are looking for an excuse to upgrade. When the battery in my 1G puked recently, I ordered the high capacity newrtech battey from OWC. Easy to install, and I get 20+ hours of battery life now.
Nemo me impune lacesset

Dex13  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 16, 2005, 09:36 PM

thanks guys, i think i'm going to go with what rozwado said.

Forum Links
Forum Rules