Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > I'm back

I'm back
Randman
Posting Junkie
May 19, 2008, 02:22 AM

OK, should I go for the 10k post limit now or retire at 9,999?

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Weyland-Yutani
Mac Elite
May 19, 2008, 02:29 AM

9999 posts.

(who are you?)

“Building Better Worlds”

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
May 19, 2008, 02:39 AM

Where've you been for the past couple of years?

Randman  (op)
Posting Junkie
May 19, 2008, 02:47 AM

Long story made short: Did some traveling around the world, played far too much World of Warcraft and once the bank account ran out (among other things), moved back to the States at the end of last year and resumed work recently as I'm re-acclimating back to life in the U.S. after almost 8 years abroad.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
May 19, 2008, 07:10 AM

what level are you
we don't have time to stop for gas

KeriVit
Professional Poster
May 19, 2008, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Weyland-Yutani View Post
9999 posts.

(who are you?)
He's Randman silly.

I say 10,000.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
May 19, 2008, 02:09 PM

I don't get it. Who cares what your post count is?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
May 19, 2008, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by Randman View Post
OK, should I go for the 10k post limit now or retire at 9,999?
Retire & start a new nick ?

Some things here didn't get easier, so just a word of warning:
There is this unwritten and unpublished, selectively enforced rule of "no multiple nicknames".

I "retired" turtle777 at 7,777 posts and started my new nick, what_the_heck.
Later, I decided to continue to use turtle777.

However, in a series of, uhm, unfortunate events, my nick what_the_heck got banninated, under the above mentioned rule.

So, just to let you know.

-t

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
May 19, 2008, 02:10 PM

I, however, seem to be immortal.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
May 19, 2008, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar the Fourth View Post
I, however, seem to be immortal.
Maybe because it's obvious that it's you.

Ah well, there seemed to be people who did NOT realize that turtle777 = what_the_heck.
So they felt mislead.

Nevermind that I signed my posts with "-t" under both nicks

-t

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
May 19, 2008, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Maybe because it's obvious that it's you.
I think you hit the nail on the head.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
May 19, 2008, 02:16 PM

Well, banninating a vBulletin bot wouldn't make sense, would it ?

-t

besson3c
Clinically Insane
May 19, 2008, 02:24 PM

Hey guys, I'm back too! I was not posting this morning...

Randman  (op)
Posting Junkie
May 19, 2008, 02:42 PM

Welcome back.

And for the poster who mentioned what about post count, back in the day when only Zimphire was at 10k and Rickey coming down the stretch, there was a big discussion on what to do with the monumentally large yet insignificant number.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
May 19, 2008, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Hey guys, I'm back too! I was not posting this morning...
Ah, the strict babysitter.

-t

subego
Clinically Insane
May 19, 2008, 04:33 PM

I'd say it's more the pioneers get the arrows, coupled with the "perma" part of permaban.

Have you tried asking if you'll receive the same treatment for a what_the_heck_zwei?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
May 19, 2008, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Have you tried asking if you'll receive the same treatment for a what_the_heck_zwei?
I don't see the point in asking for this.

If MacNN was willing to remedy the situation, "they" could unban W_T_H. I have asked for it, but no luck.
It was basically a "ah well, yeah, the rules are not clear, but, uhm, yeah, tough luck" thing.

-t

besson3c
Clinically Insane
May 19, 2008, 04:44 PM

If MacNN was willing to remedy the situation, "they" could unban W_T_H. I have asked for it, but no luck.
It was basically a "ah well, yeah, the rules are not clear, but, uhm, yeah, tough luck" thing.

-t

They would also clarify what the hell happened with the whole Butthawk thing, which was terribly unclear.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
May 19, 2008, 04:53 PM

They would also clarify what the hell happened with the whole Butthawk thing, which was terribly unclear.
Well, not quite.

You were NOT openly telling that butthawk = besson3c. It was truly a troll account.
Bannination fo double accounts for trolling purposes, that I can understand somewhat...

-t

besson3c
Clinically Insane
May 19, 2008, 04:58 PM

So, should Cody Dawg be banned too?

I'm sure there are many others that have started up a second nick with a different theme from their first. As long as they aren't going after a particular member ala Rob, I really fail to see the issue and purpose for this rule here... Butthawk was completely harmless.

subego
Clinically Insane
May 19, 2008, 05:03 PM

-t

Because I imagined your continued bitching about this may indicate a desire for a solution.

MacNN would likely remedy the situation if you are willing to seek a solution beyond being un-permabanned.

What you said their response was, is exactly what I said the issue is. They made a bad decision, they realize this, but the decision is not bad enough to take the piss out of a permaban.

Way more unjustified decisions have been made, and those stick, so your problem just doesn't rate. IOW, "tough luck".

So you can expend energy to fix it as well as can be fixed, or you can expend energy complaining about something you have been told in no uncertain terms won't be changing.

Since you spend a fair amount of time doing the latter, and apparently have spent zero time doing the former, are you sure you even want them to unban your old nick?

subego
Clinically Insane
May 19, 2008, 05:06 PM

Hint: you accused GHP of lying, because he wrote that you had been contacted.

What you seemed to miss was that the contact of which GHP spoke was you getting banned.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
May 19, 2008, 05:14 PM

Because I imagined your continued bitching about this may indicate a desire for a solution.

MacNN would likely remedy the situation if you are willing to seek a solution beyond being un-permabanned.

What you said their response was, is exactly what I said the issue is. They made a bad decision, they realize this, but the decision is not bad enough to take the piss out of a permaban.

Way more unjustified decisions have been made, and those stick, so your problem just doesn't rate. IOW, "tough luck".

So you can expend energy to fix it as well as can be fixed, or you can expend energy complaining about something you have been told in no uncertain terms won't be changing.

Since you spend a fair amount of time doing the latter, and apparently have spent zero time doing the former, are you sure you even want them to unban your old nick?
Dude, WTF, get off your soap box.

Where did I complain about it, aside from people (like YOU) bringing the topic up ?
HowTF can you first ask me something about it, and then give me your soap-box speech for replying to you ?

I only told randman to be careful with double accounts. That's it.

And btw, I don't even see what kind of solution there would be other than to unban.
Giving me a cookie, or 10 free posts ?

-t

turtle777
Clinically Insane
May 19, 2008, 05:17 PM

What you seemed to miss was that the contact of which GHP spoke was you getting banned.
To be fair, humans make mistakes.

Glenn contacted me on the banned WTH account, which, of course, I could not access any more. So to him, it looked like I just didn't respond.

I later told him that I have never been contacted, which he denied.
Until we found out what really happened.

So the truth is, it could have been a communications break-down between besson and Glenn, and NOT an intentional lie.

-t

besson3c
Clinically Insane
May 19, 2008, 05:20 PM

I was NOT contacted. Nobody contacted me, period. The only "contact" I got was the little ban explanation after the fact that vBulletin displays when you log into a banned account, which was a complete nonsense explanation about me being insincere. After I returned from my week ban to question the original ban, I was banned for a month. I guess expecting a little basic communication was too tall an order at the time.

Atomic Rooster
May 19, 2008, 05:35 PM

"I'm back".

Everyone else has left or been banned so welcome back to the 'ghost lounge'.

Cold Warrior
May 19, 2008, 05:39 PM

Welcome back Randman. Can you elaborate on your travels? Did you keep a journal or a blog?

Others: Let's leave the arguments and recriminations for PM or Feedback. Thanks.

subego
Clinically Insane
May 19, 2008, 05:43 PM

I was NOT contacted. Nobody contacted me, period. The only "contact" I got was the little ban explanation after the fact that vBulletin displays when you log into a banned account, which was a complete nonsense explanation about me being insincere.

So you weren't contacted except for the contact.

I note there was enough contact for you to declare the reason to be bullshit, but you weren't contacted.

I guess expecting a little basic communication was too tall an order at the time.

Your request for communication was prefaced with an accusation of lying.

Likewise, you got banned again for it. I don't think you can get any more basic with communication.

What is being communicated is "****ing DROP IT".

Edit:

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
Others: Let's leave the arguments and recriminations for PM or Feedback. Thanks.

Copy that.

Randman  (op)
Posting Junkie
May 19, 2008, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
Welcome back Randman. Can you elaborate on your travels? Did you keep a journal or a blog?
I lived and worked in Singapore for almost 8 years but visited (along with an annual trip to the US where I'd visit my folks and some other area (NY, LA, vegas, etc) a handful of countries such as

Australia *a number of times to Sydney, Melbourne, Perth, Gold Coast and Brisbane*
Thailand a number of times to various spots.
Vietnam, Saigon and up the coast to Hanoi/Halong Bay and back.
Malaysia, a number of times.
Cambodia, to Ankor Wat.
China, to various parts including Shenzhen and Sichuan (where the quake happened).
Macau
Hong Kong, a number of times.
Indonesia, Jakarta and Bali.
Japan, Tokyo.
Middle East, Dubai.
Africa, Morocco.
Spain, from Barcelona down to the south to Gibraltar and back.
Italy, Milan.
Switzerland
France
England
Germany, many a time, mostly Munich.
Austria
Netherlands

And a few others. I'll try and post some pics on the forums soon. As far as blogs, videos, much have my ex featured so there needs to be some editing done there.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
May 19, 2008, 08:07 PM

So you weren't contacted except for the contact.

I note there was enough contact for you to declare the reason to be bullshit, but you weren't contacted.
Sorry Cold Warrior, I have a problem with Subego's attempt to have the last word here at my expense, especially with these sort of allegations.

What good is being "contacted" after the decision was already made? If I was requested to stop what I was doing, I would have. There was no communication, that is the point.

What are you trying to argue here? Your gut feeling as to what really happened? How in the world would you know? I realize that at this point this is my word against your gut feeling, but I do not appreciate being called a liar. I did not lie then, I'm not lying now, nor did I accuse anybody else of lying. I have no idea where you are manufacturing all of these strange ideas from, but it's not cool.

Cold Warrior and others: we can move on, but perhaps it would actually be best to try to solve some of these problems at some point, be it mine or others? How long are we going to sweep things under the carpet before there is nothing left to sweep, or that carpet is overflowing with crap that affects the MacNN business?

Cold Warrior
May 19, 2008, 08:15 PM

Cold Warrior and others: we can move on, but perhaps it would actually be best to try to solve some of these problems at some point, be it mine or others? How long are we going to sweep things under the carpet before there is nothing left to sweep, or that carpet is overflowing with crap that affects the MacNN business?
How about you start a thread in Feedback addressing your concerns about policies or actions in general, or PM an admin? Rehashing old history and the blame game won't get you far, so I suggest you craft something suitable for discussion.

Welcome back Randman. We're glad you kept us in mind and consider us worth your time.

Forum Links
Forum Rules